Troop Info for the period

Users who are viewing this thread

visigoth troops. most of them are +400ad, but all the armours and equipment looks so similar that must post it.
goth01.jpg

also some very late barbarians V-VI cent. 90% similarities.
beznazwy6di7td1.jpg

The Palmyrene Empire would without a doubt have Legion at their disposal. The well known Legio XII Fulminata in fact was one of the Legions used my the Rebel Gov Septimius Odaenathus to defend his provinces against the Sassanids. The short lived empire can be seen as yet another Roman faction that broke away from Roman central Authority such as the Gallic Empire. Their core strench would be based on Roman units and like the Eastern provinces, would focus a little more on cavalry warfare and have a stronger Cavalry arm than the West. No doubt their Cavalry would have been influenced by Parthian Tactics and the Sassanid armies.

Yeah thats what I figured.

At the onset the idea was them not having legions as suggested by a few others here and at RAT, though that seemed a little off and I was still not convinced. So I wasn't terribly suprised to learn that they did.

This seems to be the comprehensive list for those legions under Palmyrene command at the period:

Legio I Parthica
Legio III Cyrenaica
Legio IIII Scythica
Legio XII Fulminata Galliena
Legio XV Apollinaris
Legio XVI Flavia Firma

And just as with Legio II acting primary legion for Gallenius, Odaenathus will have a primary legion as faction rep which will no doubt be represented by Fulminata.

Aside from that I think what I will do is make a few other legion shields which would be area specific for the shops. That way the player could raise his own legion of choice if he so wanted.

http://www.unrv.com/military/legions.php
Take a look at the link. It has a nice summary of the location of Legions and some events wich dates to 3rd Century.

Not a bad site, if not for the damn pop up. I have no idea how to remove it, but for the most part its still readable.

I see only a few contradictions with the site I referenced for the info, though admittedly one was a mistake on my part, where I listed I Minervia as in service with Palmyrene, where in fact it was with the Gallic Empire according to both sites, which I misplaced.

Other than that there seems to be some confusion between the two sites, well at least for one specifically that I spotted. That one being what II Traiana Fortis' allegiance was.

This per the site I referenced:

The emperor Caracalla gave the legion the title Germanica ('German') in 213, which proves that the entire legion had been employed in the war against the Germanic Alamanni. Half a century later, a subunit of II Traiana Fortis made the same trip to the far west, when the emperor Gallienus (260-26:cool: demanded its support against Postumus, the ruler of the independent Gallic Empire. However, this subunit went over to the other side and returned to Egypt after Aurelian had reconquered Gaul.

Which I take to read as Gallienus had requested it's assistance, though to the contrary of Gallienus' bidding, it ended up in service of the Gallic Empire by which is suggested "went over to the other side".

Well your link suggests this for II Traiana Fortis:

260 - 268 AD: In the civil war vs. the breakaway Gallic empire, it served Gallienus against Posthumus but eventually was returned to Egypt when Aurelian re-conquered Gallia.

Thats the only thing I see to be contrary atm, though I haven't looked at the others which I probably should so I don't end up with legions in the wrong service. I guess the best route would be to use those which are listed on both sites in allegiance agreement, then axe the rest.

Anyways this is the site I used as reference if you are curious:
http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm

And this is the list I came up with should you find yourself with free time and want to verify between the two sites:
===========================
Gallic emperor postumus.

loyal until Laelianus revolt feb 269:

Legio I Minervia
Legio II Augusta
Legio I Minervia
Legio III Gallica
Legio VI Victrix
Legio VII Gemina - spanish legion
Legio XXX Ulpia Victrix

subunit of Legio II Traiana Fortis
subunit of Legio III Parthica
subunit of Legio X Fretensis - cavalry

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Palmyrene king odenatheus

Legio XII Fulminata
Legio I Parthica
Legio III Cyrenaica
Legio IIII Scythica
Legio XII Fulminata Galliena
Legio XV Apollinaris
Legio XVI Flavia Firma

=========================

Roman emperor Gallienus

Legio I Italica
Legio II Italica Pia
Legio III Italica
Legio II Parthica
Legio V Macedonica
Legio VII Claudia Pia Fidelis
Legio VIII Augusta
Legio X Gemina
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Legio XIV Gemina
Legio XX Valeria Victrix
Legio XXII Primigenia

I have some reserve about Legio I Adiutrix, which is suggested by your site to have served Postumus, and by the other link is uknown.

I question it because the legion was at least known by both sites to have been granted "Pia Fidelis bis" ('twice loyal and faithful') and constans('reliable'),

- At an unknown moment in the third century, the legion received the titles
Pia Fidelis bis ('twice loyal and faithful') and constans('reliable').

..which strikes me as odd since at least by one account it served the Gallic Empire, that would by all means excused it from such a term as Pia Fidelis, which was a term that the Emperor in Rome granted to a number of legions that were loyal throughout the war with Postumus.

I was going to mention to you the Legion Menervia error. Concerning II Traiana Fortis: the mistake is from the site I sent. Out of the whole mess we know at least the the Legions served against Posthumus.
I will go through the site in moreI was going to mention to you the Legion Menervia error. Concerning II Traiana Fortis: the mistake is from the site I sent. Out of the whole mess we know at least the the Legions served against Posthumus.
I will go through the site in more detail and see if I pick uo any other errors.
As for the legions used by Gov Odaenathus; there is some evidence that suggests that the legions might have abandoned Zenobia and her son upon his assasination and returned to central authority. It could be that Zenobia might not have had the number of legions we susspected. However, since the time frame of the game starts with Odaenathus I think its safe to give the Palm Emp the Legions. Ill look into it a bit more. Zenobia's battles with Rome however sees Pal Cavalry outmatch Roman and their heavy armour is mentioned several times suggesting Cataphracts and Clibnarii. 

Back
Top Bottom