+++ Important Announcement on 268 B.C. +++

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello folks,

First i'd like to thank the people that have been patiently following the mod through the course of developement. However the recent turn of events has left me.. up **** creek without a paddle one might say. So, rather than get frustrated on the matter, I decide to view it as an opportunity.

What I propose to do is start work on a mod which will allow me to simultaneously progress work on 268 B.C., while also developing the new mod which will essentially be a primer for 268 B.C., and also work as a beta mod.

This was originally going to be the idea behind Reign of Camelot, which would have allowed for the testing of custom features for 268 B.C., though after some realization, there was misspent effort into the mod, which was not benefitting 268 B.C., such as the scenes (though I did learn some tricks), and growing ambitions to indulge in some nifty scripts which would have detracted from the parent mod.

Also what weighed heavily on this decision is to get the material contributed to the mod by so many people, released in a form which could be done in a timely manner.

Now let me explain to you why this is the wisest of decisions;

At present in order for 268 B.C. released, I would have to port the mod to latest version, construct new props, and complete scenes with said props for a variety of cultures. What also would have to be done is finish integrating faction troop trees and cultures, equip said troops (over 1000 troop tuples), then if I want the mod to be unique, would have to integrate and test/ bug hunt the new proposed features. Beyond that I would also have to resolve the issue which is causing the game to randomly freeze, since having switched to new comp.

Thinking about that just makes my head explode!

In contrast, this beta mod will allow me to tackle those issues one problem at a time, while still being able to get a workable testbed released in short order. This is important psychologically, however beyond that there are many more benefits including:

1. Research and excess material for 268 B.C. has amassed to the present total of some 6.2 gigs, and the mod itself now sitting at 700 megs, with content still left to go in.

And of all that content there is some that needs to come out. Over the course of developement there have been skilled contributors, and myself gaining some skill has left the mod with some antiquated models and textures which will need to be pruned, in order for the mod to have a consistent quality, as well as cutdown on size.

2. This means that code needs to be pruned as well. There is in order some 100+ custom props now, and in associated BRF files, which are registered in the module, of which now only 10% will be used (the newest revision of props).

3. Aside from the previously mentioned benefits, the test mod will allow me to focus on tasks in a much more manageable scale. I will be using just the base number of factions for native - 6 as opposed to 268 B.C's proposed 25.

4. I will skip the port and just start on a fresh module system. I guess you could call it a stage port, where the old code is gradually brought in, in stages. Rather than having to bring over the entire code in order for the mod just to function properly, I start with the base code which works by default, and then I can inject the custom code in bits at a time when I am comfortable with moving on to the next task.

Now regarding the theme of the mod, it's incidently set proxy 268/269 A.D.

My initial thinking was to just keep to the current time setting and scale down the map and factions. However I wanted to preserve the scope of the mod, in terms of map size and center quantity. This would mean less work when eventually converting the mod to 268 B.C., as I won't have to roll up a new map and have to add the centers back in and move them around the map.

So nothing else really came to mind that would offer that, as well as not be overladen with factions, while still providing an outlet that could see some use of current work done.

There will need to be some custom stuff generated, but this is not significant as the factions are largely homogenus. Essentally Romans beating on Romans, with some barbarians mixed in which at this point use alot of the same gear as the Romans.

Ideally when this mod is ready to go out, the work load that will be left to get 268 b.c. converted and out the door will be less significant.  Essentially what would be left then is to add the factions and troops, convert the existing ones, and alter some scenes.

While that would be going, the beta mod players would be providing feedback on custom features and such which could be changed or fixed.

So there it is in a nutshell. Any questions just ask

Follow the development here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,208.0.html

Let me see if I did understand your article :grin:

So you re saying you re making a fresh new mod, set in the same time setting that will also have roughly the same features and have it as a beta for people to bug test while you keep working on 268 BC and while you re working on the new mod also learn some new stuff?

Janko is probably tightening his noose round about now.

This kinda reminds of the Total War mod Invasio Barbarorum 2; they're releasing mini mods before the final release, all of which have a particular 'theatre' of play, ie North Africa, Britannia, etc. If this is essentially what you're doing, I might cheekily ask if you could make the map Italy and the nearby islands since that way you could include your Roman, Carthaginian, Gallic and Greek factions/models in it.

Either way, best of luck.

People don't seem to take the time to read carefuly.
THE NEW MOD WILL BE 289 A.D. Unlike the old mod that was 268 B.C.
Look aealabor I love that time period, of romans fighting romas, I fully support that decision.

Yeah that's about it Lavandina. Thanks for reading  :wink:

To sum up the post, the mod is set in 268/269  A.D., and will work as a beta for 268 B.C., which will be released later afterwards.

romana271.jpg

412thCadianGuardsman said:
When will this be available for download?

I hope that's a joke

Anyway, why Iberia and Albania are in Georgia? :lol:

That's great, becouse of less factios, but don't leave it at alfa I mean It's like a full game... but it will later have a retroactive expansion from the punic wars or whatever that means.  :mrgreen:

I hope you made Spain part of Gaul since in that way I can reconquer it in the name of Aurelianus. :razz:

Oh my diddy, my bad, I'm ill today so I misread it. Are you going to use that map for it? I thought that you were just going to be scaling down the map size to test out new units and such. Will you just be using Republican Romans for the Imperial soldiers and e olde barbarians for the barbarians of the day?

EDIT: Iberia and Albania are in modern day Georgia there because that's what the area used to be called/ the tribes there were called. I was confused a while back when I discovered this myself, just a coincidence I think.

Hmm.
E,

If anything, I'm surprised you've lasted for so long. Your drive amazes me.
I started my own mod because of you, and have been trying to gain some skill before actually offering to help, but now as it stands, I can only do helmets that are on par with the rest of the mod.

Anyway, I can't say that A.D. is better than B.C., but its different. And if this means that it will get things rolling, or even if this means it will work better for you, who are we to say =)

Know that your supporters are still here.
Good luck.

*Gasp* can it be?, janko hasn't said anything yet about this, IT'S A MIRACLE!.

Ahem..yes anyway i'm sure this is a minor setback for the 268 mod and that it will be completed eventually.

:shock:

Great!!!
And,if I understood right,you will be making mini mod that will help you on 268.B.C. and that 3rd century Crisis will serve it as beta with those 3 factions?
And still there will be 25 factions in it(Hegemony 268.B.C.)?

Anyways,thanks for all this info E. and HUUUUGE LUCK!!!

Oh and @shadowarcher:IT'S A MIRACLE!!!  :mrgreen:

So in case some of you might not have noticed, theres a sub forum thread here for the mod.

Or you could check out the link to it here
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,208.0.html

first: ealabor; I think its amazing what you already did in work efforts for us and by sharing your progress with us lazy-crazies. I would constantly check time after time just to see new beautiful infos and pictures to dream.

I support your choice. I actually think its a good one given the situations.

did I actually mentioned that I like the setting you picked? Time frame? Or that I love you?
Well......... errrm......... just keep going like always mate  :mrgreen:

A sound idea indeed. As ever, good luck, I'll be eager to check this mod out in the mean time, and I'm glad to see 268 B.C. has not lost its' steam.

That's kinda creepy, Proto AEA.

Back
Top Bottom