+++ Important Announcement on 268 B.C. +++

Users who are viewing this thread

Always happy to offer support, anything which moves 268 B.C closer to completion is approved by me!

Are there any news E.? :smile:
Don't take this as an insulting question,i just wanna know...so thanks if you don't take it as an offense though. :wink:
EDIT:And is the annoying issue fixed which was seen during the first activity on the new PC?Hope so... :grin:

Good luck!

JankoMega said:
Don't take this as an insulting question,i just wanna know...so thanks if you don't take it as an offense though. :wink:
EDIT:And is the annoying issue fixed which was seen during the first activity on the new PC?Hope so... :grin:

Good luck!
he busy at killing something right now
lately he have fun playing a new game

ah of course he still working on the mod

vietanh797 said:
JankoMega said:

Good luck!
he busy at killing something right now
lately he have fun playing a new game

ah of course he still working on the mod
Thanks for reply,i hope that it's right...

I wish all support and luck for him.

Don't take this the wrong way, but why don't you just work on Hegemony 268 BC rather than working on many minor mods which act as betas for 268 BC? Wouldn't it be simpler to just focus on one mod?

G'day Tsubodai. Great question and while I am not the Mod creator I'm happy to explain exactly why.

Firstly it is important to realise how big the task of creating this mod is. It is not merely a add-on to the original game but a total conversion. What this means is that we can't compare this mod to others in the community. This mod will require: Adding damage attributes to every weapon so that it creates a logical balanced arrangement; Adding attributes to armour so that it represents a logical arrangement; Equipping every troop so that it is historically accurate; Determining the number of troops in each individual party; The balance of individual solidiers; The balance of combination of troops; The balance of nations; The balance of combinations of nations; The stats of troops. etc..

This is merely part of the task that this mod is undertaking. It is important to note that all these aspects are intimately related, a small change to one troop, as small as a change in damage value to a sword, can destroy the balance of every one of those aspects. Add to this that balance is not simple in Mount & Blade. We want swords men to be balanced to other swords men, but we want the same swords men to be balanced to spear men in a distinctly different way and we want this not in a group basis (like the total war series) but in an individual level.

It is important to note that due to the complexity of this task, as content is added the difficulty does not increase steadily but exponentially. If you have 2 factions, you have to deal with 1 lot of balance (the above task) to worry about. 3 factions and you have 3 lots, 4 factions and you have 6, 5 factions and you have 10. Now just think that this mod has 24 factions. 24!. In comparison, vanilla Mount & Blade has 6 and it some would argue that the balance of the game is broken. Which leads to the last (in this simplistic response) aspect, the mod needs to be fun. That is the biggest pressure. If the game isn't fun then the game is worth nothing, and all the work goes to waste.

So let's look at why we want to tackle this in smaller, minor beta mods. Instead of taking on the task above, lets focus on one faction, say Scythia Minor. We set up the scenes, we fill in the NPC's, we do the fluff, we add the weapons and Armour, and we throw in some spawn points for the surrounding nations. In this smaller environment we can acutely focus on the balance, and the interaction between the parties. We can set up region specific quests, fill in the scripts and make this region come alive. Finally, and here is the important bit,  we can focus on making this region fun! Move on to the next region, the next faction, and make that fun. It is an exercise in starting small and expanding slowly.

The important point here is "Rome wasn't built in a day". Cities aren't made all at once. It starts as a small area, a small population, until the space is filled to a living standard and then it sprawls, growing from the small and turning agglutinatively into something great. Agglutinative is the key word.

I hope this answers your question. It is a tactic to create a large mod by starting with something small, balanced and fun and adding slowly and carefully into something great.

If you have any other questions let me know  :grin:

Hi Taal

First I would like to say thank you for this answer. Only to get sure, you´re a member of 268bc development team, right?
There are a lot of people eagerly awaiting to play this mod and they are worried that focus goes to much on submods, instead of finishing the main thing. So thank you for explaining things, but there are still some points i don`t understand.

Taal said:
Firstly it is important to realise how big the task of creating this mod is. It is not merely a add-on to the original game but a total conversion.

This mod is surely one of the biggest. But not the only total conversion in this comunity.

Taal said:
So let's look at why we want to tackle this in smaller, minor beta mods. Instead of taking on the task above, lets focus on one faction, say Scythia Minor. We set up the scenes, we fill in the NPC's, we do the fluff, we add the weapons and Armour, and we throw in some spawn points for the surrounding nations. In this smaller environment we can acutely focus on the balance, and the interaction between the parties. We can set up region specific quests, fill in the scripts and make this region come alive. Finally, and here is the important bit,  we can focus on making this region fun! Move on to the next region, the next faction, and make that fun. It is an exercise in starting small and expanding slowly.

I fully understand your approach on this, and I see other mods going the same route. But, I don´t see how C3rdC can help you this way, because it´s factions don´t appear in the main mod. There are different units in this timeframe, wich are not used for the main mod. Instead, to fit the timeframe, there has to be made a lot of new equipment, new units, new characters and even new scenes are being worked on. All out of the main mods timeframe. The concern is, that main mod´s development is paused to work on sub mod or at least many resources are pulled away from it.

Another concern is that Ealabor seems to be working on scenes for 3rd century (wich look fantastic), instead of focusing on the things you pointed out. I don´t know what is going on behind the scenes, but I guess I speak for many fans here, if I say that we would not mind to have scene updates later, but a playable version soon.

I want to say, that this is in no way meant as an offense against Ealabor or the team! But there are many fans of your work, waiting years for a release, disapionted because there is little progress shown on this forum (I´am sure there has been done a lot of work, just show us a bit more of it).

I know that you do this for your enjoiment and you owe nothing to anybody, but you have a lot of fans, just don´t disapoint them!

Greetings

G'day Gaius Julius,

No I am not part of the team, however I have worked on large mods and it is the style I use. Personally I don't publicly release information about my mods until it is at least at beta standard for precisely these situations. While some intimate decisions are the modders personal choice and I am not privy to the details, it is important to realise: The mods use the same or similar map; The same or similar towns; Similar weaponry with troops similarly fitted and similar tactics. In addition to this you see a reduction of the factions to a feasible 6. Albeit in a different time zone, what this does allow, as discussed before, is an open playground to safely experiment with balance, ideas, scripts and theories saving those experiments from being carried out in the main game, which as you stated, has a lot of fans and could threaten to disappoint them.

While I understand how the fans have waited, and how arduous that wait must have been, how about picking up some books or Wings3d and contributing to either parent, or child mod.

I hope this answers your question. As always, If you have any other questions let me know :smile:

Ok, that does make sense. Thanks for your time Taal.

As for the waiting, I actually started making my own Rome mod (although on a much smaller scale than this!) and really am beginning to understand how much needs to be done for a mod to work well.
I would be interested to contribute to this in any way if possible.

doing well with TPW by port it over the WB
still it suck without ability to edit python file but It is ok now since I am not good at moding this game
prefer text work like in TW or EU series more than code work but coding is way better to edit everything here

Gaius Julius said:
I fully understand your approach on this, and I see other mods going the same route. But, I don´t see how C3rdC can help you this way, because it´s factions don´t appear in the main mod. There are different units in this timeframe, wich are not used for the main mod. Instead, to fit the timeframe, there has to be made a lot of new equipment, new units, new characters and even new scenes are being worked on. All out of the main mods timeframe. The concern is, that main mod´s development is paused to work on sub mod or at least many resources are pulled away from it.
This is what I don't truly understand either. Dividing the work by making smaller mods, sounds like a good idea, both for the fans of Hegemony and your own psychological well-being. But to me it seems the time periods are very different, and the amount of stuff from Crisis... thats going to be usable in Hegemony is going to be very small, especially if when you go for historical accuracy like you do. So I wonder what kind of aspects do you think carry over from the submod to the main mod?

Anyway, I'm patiently looking forward to Hegemony but also to the submod, best of luck working on either one of 'em.

SgtTeeh said:
But to me it seems the time periods are very different, and the amount of stuff from Crisis... that's going to be usable in Hegemony is going to be very small, especially if when you go for historical accuracy like you do. So I wonder what kind of aspects do you think carry over from the submod to the main mod?

The map, most of the center placements,  the values of the items, custom fonts, banners, many of the items, the scripts including the troop tree formats etc., music, scenes.

Most scenes would be interchangeable and would only need some revisions, for example if the scene of Rome were to carry over, the post periods structures such as Flavian amphitheatre, arches etc. would be omitted and/or replaced with other structures, while swapping out just these buildings would preserve the integrity of most of the AI mesh and other props such as houses etc which fill out the scene, with then only some revisions to be made.

ealabor said:
Thats cool, but hows your preparations coming in regards to the future release of the E series?  :wink:
lol you
i thought you said I had to keep quite about it  :lol:

I don't have much time in week lately with my hand so full of everything
I still in panther and Tiger II with a grille as back up KV as money printing machine

as for TW series I almost done my mod may release it in next month
for WB since Lynores come back I give up the port TPW and wait for his release

but for the sake of god I still wait for your 268 B.C WB version so hurry up pls before my youth gone forever

Back
Top Bottom