Voting Poll:Nords - Troop Improvements

The Kingdom of Nords Needs Improvements for what Troop Type?

• Melee Infantry

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Ranged Infantry

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Melee Calvary

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Ranged Calvary

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Mixed Infantry

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Mixed Calvary

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • None

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

What troops do you all think need improvements for the Kingdom of Nords?

• Nord Peasant (Level 3 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 50 2H: 50 POLE: 50)
    • Nord Recruit (Level 6 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 50 2H: 50 POLE: 50)
      • Nord Footman (Level 10 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 70 2H: 70 POLE: 70)
        • Nord Trained Footman (Level 14 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 100 2H: 100 POLE: 100)
          • Nord Warrior (Level 19 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 115 2H: 115 POLE: 115)
            • Nord Veteran (Level 24 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 145 2H: 145 POLE: 145)
              • Nord Huscarl (Level 28 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 170 2H: 170 POLE: 170)
      • Nord Huntsman (Level 11 STR: 10 AGI: 5 BOW: 70 XBOW: 60 THR: 60)
        • Nord Archer (Level 15 STR: 11 AGI: 5 BOW: 95 XBOW: 80 THR: 80)
          • Nord Veteran Archer (Level 19 STR: 12 AGI: 5 BOW: 120 XBOW: 95 THR: 95)

Another faction in need of cavalry. What about medium cavalry using those rider's axes?
Otherwise, why not adding some axe or hammer throwers to use the new items?

Again... mercenary guilds. The Nords will have a notable amount of cavalry if their guild will get implemented.

Still, a single tier of cavalry couldn't hurt. Maybe make a Raiding Cavalry unit, equal in skills/equipment to the Nord Warrior except on a Hunter-caliber mount.

Also, add in one more tier for their archers. They are quite worthless compared to those of other factions' top archers. So add an Elite Archer unit or something, clad in a Byrnie and a proper helmet, plus a bit better stats than its preceeding tier.

Maybe some medium cavalery could be added to stick with the theme.
Must be an auxilliarie cavalerie just like scouts...
or similar to the Riders in the first 1257 series.

Personally the jotnar guild was not my favorite in SOD to redondant and girls cavalery seems like a strange choice to me... of course just question of taste.

When we were designing the Jotnars, we based them on celts and viking mythology. In a lot of celtic societies, female warriors were a common part of everyday life, they could even become tribal leaders and commanders of armies, an idea that even the people of today can hardly comprehend. Viking myths also have aplenty of warrior women. Gameplay-wise this was an efficient method to give the Nords both melee and ranged cavalry troops at the same time ! I realise some people find it odd, but hey, many liked them, and if you aren't among those people, no problem, there are others to choose from.

Sorry if my previous post sounds offensive was not my goal... :wink:
Since i am Celt my self, i am quite familiar with celtic's myths, and no problem with women at war (i live also in the Joan of Arc country :wink: )
I just wanted to express that (well guess) i did n't choose often the Jotnar clan cause compare to the others merc factions, the design seduce me less.
I wasnt clear so: why Jotnar have no foot girls for instance? They are capable to fight also on the ground (if of course its not in conflict with the story :wink: ) some light and fast infanteries (peltast or bladedancer style) Her my impression is all the girls on Horse, all the guy rampant... Ok its fantaisy but seems to systematic to me.
Anyways just a feedback i loved the mod anyways :wink:

Worry not mate, I didn't find your post offensive at all.
We made it systematic (all girls on horseback and all guys on foot) cos' it would had been time-consuming to make the Jotnars varied like that... the MnB code simply doesn't let you tell the program that "make 50% of this troop type male and the other 50% female". We could have played around with armors and facial codes, but the results would had been... disturbing...

WARNING: do not watch the picture below ! It's for your own sake ! You have been warned...

c9f9ada8beef7cf80e904beb8a9e68455g.jpg

...so it was easier to make it systematic. I'm not fully satisfied with this design myself, but I can only repeat, we didn't want unnecessary extra work.

On a sidenote, the Jotnar DO have a male cavalryman... Gunnard Bearmasher, the "captain" of the Jotnar Clan is mounted on a horse in battle.
("captains" are Mercenary NPCs who usually follow in the heel of their master faction's king)

We could make female foot troops for the Jotnar, the question is whether we should or shouldn't; that is both a gameplay and lore question.

Nonono, Computica, that picture was a joke from Cyclohexane waaay back when the guilds were released  :mrgreen:

Currently every 'female' clothing/armor in the game will give the character, ahem, more bulk in the upper chest area, regardless of the character being male or female. I dunno if it's hardcoded, or if it's possible to make the same armor appear different depending on gender.

MorrisB said:
Nonono, Computica, that picture was a joke from Cyclohexane waaay back when the guilds were released  :mrgreen:

Currently every 'female' clothing/armor in the game will give the character, ahem, more bulk in the upper chest area, regardless of the character being male or female. I dunno if it's hardcoded, or if it's possible to make the same armor appear different depending on gender.
A_Mustang said:
yeah, many vanilla items swich to female models on female characters. IMO, the Coat of plates is one of the best examples.
Oh I see... There might be something I can trigger that with...

????? u people are insane! they have the best infantry in the game. pretty sure they dont need improvment in that. i say the archers need improvement. they dont even have sharp shooters only veterens.

What is with nobles for the Native fractions?
For Nords maybe
-Nord Noble
-Nord Jarl Son (or something like that)
-Nord Jarl
-Nord Zealous Jarl
-Then an overpowered melee faith troop

It's only an idea. And sorry for my bad english.

Adamin Hawk said:
What is with nobles for the Native fractions?
MB is the brains behind the native nobles and native faith troops this is what he came up with:
KINGDOM OF NORD

Hirdsman -> Trollslayer

Hirdsman - 'Hird' is an archaic Nord term for poleaxes. While such weapons are not commonly used in Nord armies nowadays, certain groups use them as their weapon of tradition. Many Nord nobles keep small retinues of Hirdsmen for a variety of purposes; though their weaponry and fighting style is deemed unorthodox by modern Nord standards, Hirdsman can be a powerful force on any battlefield, using their massive poleaxes and halberds to cleave foes apart and to strike enemies from a greater distance during sieges. On-par with or even surpassing Huskarls on some fields, Hirdsmen act as enforcers and shock troops for their overlords.
(heavy melee infantry; similarly armed as Huskarls, but somewhat stronger, and better armored, and uses two-handed halberds/poleaxes. NO throwing weapons available.)

Trollslayer - Nord religion and legends are heavily based on Jotnar mythology, which sometimes tends to interpret historical events in an interesting way: replacing the figures of history with creatures, heroes and villains of fantasy. One particular fable tells the legend of the Trollslayers, Jotnar warriors who fought against the steel-skinned troll hordes of the Calradian Empire during the early period of the Jotnar-Calradian war. Scholars presume this tale refers to certain Jotnar clans who fought with two-handed axes and polearms to fight off the heavily armored knights and foot soldiers of the Great Calradian Empire. While eventually the Jotnar were overwhelmed in reality, the fable continued to linger around the later Nord populace and changed that the Trollslayers were actually victorious, and it was the lack of brotherhood among the Jotnar that caused their downfall. Whatever the case, such legends inspired many faithful Nords to follow the example of these famous fighters and band together, forming numerous tiny warrior-cults across the Nord kingdom. Fighting with large halberds and poleaxes, large foes and masses of weaklings alike fall before the Trollslayers of today like leaves during autumn. Their outstanding fighting skills and battle lust make them highly sought after by Nord lords.
(heavy melee infantry, similar to Hirdsman but better in every aspect)

Religious Note:

According to present SOD lore (look up the Jotnar Clan Guild texts !) the Nords are the descendants of Jotnar clans "assimilated" by the Calradian Empire prior to its downfall. I was wondering if I should incorporate viking deities to Nord religion (Thor, Odin, etc.), but ultimately I decided against it. We could say that the Calradian Empire didn't bother with converting the nature-worshiping Jotnar, 'just' moved in settlers from the Calradian heartlands to mix with the clans. Thus the Nord religion is very closely related to original Jotnar myths, and kept the "Don't pray, but act" attitude - they rarely build shrines and such, cos' they believe that faith should be expressed through deeds (hard work and valor in battle), not 'whining before statues'. But we have to note that Nord legends changed in content here and there throughout the decades.

That's just one section out of a full book lol! After you read it you should tell him what you think about it.

I'd be very careful of going into specifics about the Nordic faith.  I have some good friends who wear the hammer.  I also know of one moron who, less than a month after 9/11, was talking smack in a public place about how some of his extremist friends were going to start burning Christian churches to get even for 1,000 year old atrocities.  I'm not saying all, or even most Nordic believers are idiotic on matters of strategy, tactics and operational security, but I promise you some of them are both very stupid and very violent.  (To be fair, most of those are also not very competent.  Most of the competent Nordic types I know are fairly cool.)

I strongly advise you leave religion a matter of fiction and not get into many specifics.  Even if you attempt to describe the teachings of the Nordic faith perfectly, some moron will start screaming at you for misplacing a comma

Back
Top Bottom