Persistent World 4.5.1 - download and general discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Rollboll, if you want to play now, you can just download the second patch (the one with "mod" in the name) as it seems stable enough.
I guess Vornne might release a hotfix eventually, but you can always play with the patch now and install the entire beta6 with the hotfix afterwards.  :wink:

Could some people who regularly crashed before apply this patch to a freshly extracted beta6 package, and confirm that the memory leaks seem fixed:

http://pw.hosthazard.com/PW_4_beta6_test_tiny_patch.rar

I think I verified that it works, but would like confirmation before releasing an official fix - which will be a version change, not a hotfix, since some other bug fixes will be incompatible. If this patch works, it would be better to use as a temporary fix than the "mod" patch, which removes some things unlikely to cause the leak (since I made all those patches very quickly).

This mod is best mod.

Also, could AT LEAST the peasant dress be a buyable item for both genders? It's the only dress that doesn't morph a man's body to any extremes. I'm having to do deals in dark alleyways for scruffy, used, peasant gowns, and then get murdered a moment after by the next dark alleyway dealers.

shoeberrypie said:
Also, could AT LEAST the peasant dress be a buyable item for both genders? It's the only dress that doesn't morph a man's body to any extremes. I'm having to do deals in dark alleyways for scruffy, used, peasant gowns, and then get murdered a moment after by the next dark alleyway dealers.
No, I disagree: it changes the body to an unambiguously female shape. Cross dressing is only useful for silly trolls, and would happen in game far more often than any vaguely possible justifications from in the historical period. I don't see how you "have" to buy dresses when choosing not to play a woman.

It is me again with stockpiles. (DAMN NOVICIUS).

I found possibility of new industry: Samwill.

This would allow serf to get serious about woodcutting. To build one I need stockpiles for poles and boards. Serf could cut wood and process it and then sell it to stockpile from which eng/craftsman(trader) could buy.

Crafting do not need blocks or branches at any point. It would be natural consequence and match for iron industry. Serf could get dissent and easy money from woodcutting making in the same time crafting job easier. (I do not know how many times I have spare board or pole while crafting)

Isn't processing wood based off of the engineer skill? I think poles and board stockpiles would be unnecessary since craftsmen and engineers could just make their own from branches and logs.

EDIT:
Oh ho ho, looks like people viewing page 139 must look at me now!

Also, about small mining picks, I'm entirely against it becoming a stockpile item. I mean, if it just so happens that you run out of picks and iron stockpiles, how are you going to craft more?

NOVICIUS said:
This would allow serf to get serious about woodcutting. To build one I need stockpiles for poles and boards. Serf could cut wood and process it and then sell it to stockpile from which eng/craftsman(trader) could buy.
Originally I didn't want to add stockpiles for every single intermediate processing step, to avoid using up the available scene prop ids within the multiplayer limit and so scene makers didn't feel obligated to place so many pw_ props at every crafting area; but I guess your requested stockpiles could be added as an option, also including one for leather pieces (but not for linen cloth pieces - they can be woven back into a roll for selling). Note that craftsmen might still want to buy it as branches or blocks, since the processing steps result in more expensive items, increasing the crafting profit (without losing anything to tax in the intermediate stockpiling step).
Melvarius said:
Isn't processing wood based off of the engineer skill? I think poles and board stockpiles would be unnecessary since craftsmen and engineers could just make their own from branches and logs.
It is based off the engineer skill, level 1 required for processing wood, level 2 for iron, and serfs have 1 in engineer, so Novicius has a point: serfs can cut wooden poles and boards, but can't craft very much.
Melvarius said:
Also, about small mining picks, I'm entirely against it becoming a stockpile item. I mean, if it just so happens that you run out of picks and iron stockpiles, how are you going to craft more?
The change was due to me realising a contributing factor in players generally seeming to choose mining to make money: while a big part of it is scene design, training as a serf and often getting a free mining pick is a big hint as to what they "should" be doing, adding to the mindset that this is mainly an iron mining game, every other job being secondary. If people run out of mining picks at the stock piles, I don't see that as a bad thing: they would either find another way to make money, or if they genuinely want the iron, just mine it (much more slowly) with any other weapon, until they have enough for a pick, so then they can make more picks. Iron is supposed to be a resource that factions and other organised groups manage, not a god given right for every peasant.
Vornne said:
Could some people who regularly crashed before apply this patch to a freshly extracted beta6 package, and confirm that the memory leaks seem fixed:

http://pw.hosthazard.com/PW_4_beta6_test_tiny_patch.rar
Is there anybody out there that could confirm this for me? I would like to be assured that the next patch will fix the crashing problem before releasing it.

This update basically just contains fixes for the major problems in beta6, but it requires a new version release since some changes are incompatible with the last version:
4 beta7:
Only set agent modifiers on the server, to avoid client memory leaks.
Partially revert the system for knocking unskilled riders off horses, since it triggers game engine bugs.
Increase linen thread resulting from spinning flax bundles from 1 to 2.
Stockpiles for wooden poles, sticks, boards, and leather pieces.
Reduce smithy anvil use time.
Play a different sound for women drowning.
Fix incorrect mesh name for the iron mine with small ores.
Fix bishop crosier stockpile collision mesh.
Fix castle banners floating in the sky for some scenes, possibly fixing some other bugs related to positions.
Fix ship sails floating high in the sky at mission start, until first moved.
Requested castle names.

Oh so it's possible to mine without a pick? Reminds me of the time I had to uppercut a bush for 2 minutes to get a single stick (I was pretty curious).

Also, yay new version!

EDIT:
P.S. I'm assuming that mining without a pick would be based off of the labouring skill... Imagine if it wasn't :O

Melvarius said:
I'm assuming that mining without a pick would be based off of the labouring skill... Imagine if it wasn't :O
Yes, you basically need to be a serf with 5 labouring skill to overcome the large damage reduction from not using the correct tool - from memory. Eating food until the bar is full helps too, as when using a pick.

Since you are reviewing the profession stats anyways:

I always found it curious that an engineer/smith could make a leather jacket, padded leather, tribal warrior outfits, studded leather and also helmets like the leather warrior cap etc. -- but not leather boots and gloves; These always run out first and are rarely restocked.
Since none of these items really requires any materials other then leather, I never fully understood why an engineer/smith wouldn't be able to make those as well.

Edit:
-As an alternative I would understand it if leather armors and helmets would become a craftsman exlusive as well, since leatherworking was a proffession on it's own in medieval times.
-Or you could just decrease the tailoring requirement for leather boots and gloves to 1 so serfs and mercenaries can craft them as well. But serfs are already a jack-of-all-trades class as they are right now.

BlitzKrieg-BoB said:
I always found it curious that an engineer/smith could make a leather jacket, padded leather, tribal warrior outfits, studded leather and also helmets like the leather warrior cap etc. -- but not leather boots and gloves; These always run out first and are rarely restocked.
Since none of these items really requires any materials other then leather, I never fully understood why an engineer/smith wouldn't be able to make those as well.
Hmm, I guess they are often used as combat armor as opposed to civilian clothing; though I am not really focused on crafting changes now that the latest patch is released, as explained at the end of the beta6 announcement post. Maybe they could be craftable by engineers as well, but I don't understand why craftsmen are so unattractive that nobody would be able to craft them - the troop allows fairly profitable and safe resource gathering, processing, and crafting work for a low training cost.
S0mebody said:
Great turnaround there Vornne, appreciate the effort you have put into this, thanks! :smile:
You're welcome.

I just realised an important part of the latest release announcement was forgotten about: thanks very much to yourself, BlitzKrieg-BoB, N0body, ongre, Splintert, Armie_knock, and anybody else that helped with testing and trying to figure out the cause of the client crashes - it would have taken much longer and been much more difficult trying to do it all myself.

Back
Top Bottom