Persistent World 4.5.1 - download and general discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Personally i think that cutting resources shouldnt be MAINLY for making money, but for the actual crafting of items. Now if people will just cut trees etc for their own sake so they gear up theyre taking a lot of time. Instead, make money output faster, so when people join factions they dont have to focus a lot on money making but rather gathering supplies for weapons etc.

i was thinking about the PW war mod, and how everyone starts with basic weapons.
i think this mod should include something similar, maybe each faction owner can choose a signiture basic weapon set for his men like footmen get a small sword and a pike when they respawn etc making each factions basic armies different

the richness of the faction could increase the basic starting armour and weapons of the spawning players maybe? 

When you train as a soldier for a faction you get some basic weapons.... they are relative to that class. If you want BETTER weapons, then have an engineer make them. Inform me if I am incorrect, but only engineers can make weapons and sheilds.

i didnt mean like that XD i meant better weapons then that.
Tier0: Free weapons (current system)
Tier1: basic weapons + slightly improved armour. Costs Faction leader XXX gold and resources
Tier2: basic weapons + average armour

any good/stronger weapons would require an engineer

etc etc

the faction leader pays so many resources and so much gold to give his men better starting weapons on death.
this makes it more important for faction leaders to set up an economy as these upgrades would be very expensive. think of it like when a recruit joins the army, he would be given basic weaponry so he would fit the fighting style of the other men, giving a guy a spear when hes a unit of archers for example wouldnt work :razz:

Eragon91 said:
Serann said:
I still don't see the point of stacks

I mean: sure it promotes the crafting class, yeah great, but nobody has the money to become a engineer, without making money, which is extremly tidious while there are no tools to buy

It is probably to promote P2P trading other than just endless farming from the environment. To make it lucrative to become a engineer etc.

The whole point of my argument was that the engineer-stack circle doesn't work because there are no engineers, because there aren't enough tools BY FAR

And there won't be any trading because these tools are so rare, nobody will be giving his woodcutters axe up

maybe an admin command to restock basic item supplies? like hammers, short swords etc?
this way if we want an event we can press the button and everyone can speed up abit :razz:

same for woodcutting items and picks

Phoenix234 said:
i didnt mean like that XD i meant better weapons then that.
Tier0: Free weapons (current system)
Tier1: basic weapons + slightly improved armour. Costs Faction leader XXX gold and resources
Tier2: basic weapons + average armour

any good/stronger weapons would require an engineer

etc etc

the faction leader pays so many resources and so much gold to give his men better starting weapons on death.
this makes it more important for faction leaders to set up an economy as these upgrades would be very expensive. think of it like when a recruit joins the army, he would be given basic weaponry so he would fit the fighting style of the other men, giving a guy a spear when hes a unit of archers for example wouldnt work :razz:
hmm... sounds like "grind with your faction for a long time, than upgrade, than be better forever" - I don't like it - smells the same as training forever or cRPG... unless I misunderstood your idea :razz:

IMO more P2P interaction = more communication = more RP. Engineers making nearly all equipment for soldiers from resources gathered by serfs is good, and shouldn't be interrupted by any "buying/gaining items or resources from environment"

EDIT: nearly forget suggestion :razz:
1. Maybe add recipe to props display? It would be much easier for newbies than searching forum or asking in game.
2. If above isn't possible, could you send me part of the code so I can extract all recipes? You could spend saved time on more important things.

banditry is just plain ridiculously impossible, i played for 4 hours without managing to get a bow, a 2h weapon, or anything. we start with clubs and knives that bounce off basic chain mail and we're getting constantly randomed. It's Ridiculous.

Corsair831 said:
banditry is just plain ridiculously impossible, i played for 4 hours without managing to get a bow, a 2h weapon, or anything. we start with clubs and knives that bounce off basic chain mail and we're getting constantly randomed. It's Ridiculous.

to top it off when anyone goes bandit people just start camping the spawn, rendering you without money. Also the bandit classes buyable in the tower do not benefit at all, as you spawn with items that would consist of a peasant, actually peasants are better armed than you. Its also a bit silly how a guy wearing chainmail can out run me on foot, so not only do you get killed on spawn, you get run down when you try to run away.

While I support the good side of having bandits KOS, it just encourages randoming. Corsair and I have tried our best, even surrendering as bandits, but 90% of server population doesn't even know what RP is. I see admins running around on fast horses giving themselves gold, but I have yet to see any of them use it for "good".

I really like this mod, and I really hope some of these problems can be addressed in the upcoming weeks.

Argh, my post got lost somehow... anyway, Version 4 alpha3 released.
Vornne said:
-- 4 alpha3:
Allow players to select the next spawn point after they die.
Fix  "sticky" player list overlay (pressing tab).
Fix so ships still work after a map change.
Ship types have different top speeds now: the small longboats are fastest, bigger ones are slightly slower.
There are more gradual steps of ship forwards speed, and overall ships have been slowed down.
Reduce damage to ships when they crash.
Increase ship hit points.
Possibly fixed phantom collisions above sunken ships.
You can't use up arrow to climb the side of a sunken ship any more.
Reduce gold loss on rejoin to 10% - 20%.
Cut training prices in half, except for outlaws, which are increased slightly.
Double resource prices, roughly.
Added more bushes and wood exporting stations.
Increase the effect of labouring skill, so peasants should be able to work faster.
Reduce the amount of damage to cut branches from a tree (this might be reverted).
Increase wooden bridge hit points.
Give serfs faction colored hats.
Reduce the price of the surgeon's scalpel.
If players are outlawed as a peasant or serf, they won't be "upgraded" to a ruffian on next spawn anymore.
Outlaw rating is shown on your clients more, and once you are outlawed it must drop to 0 before you can switch to commoners again.
This should make getting resources and gold quicker - since it seems the main thing people didn't like about the previous versions was the grinding, so I sped the processes up a bit. It may be swinging too far the other way, but we'll see.

CalenLoki said:
1. Maybe add recipe to props display? It would be much easier for newbies than searching forum or asking in game.
2. If above isn't possible, could you send me part of the code so I can extract all recipes? You could spend saved time on more important things.
I still think the recipies should be pretty obvious: there are only a couple of different wood and iron resource items, and the basic rules of long iron bars for long bits of metal, short for short bits of metal, poles for long bits of wood, and sticks for short bits, boards for flat bits - should hold for all items; if you find one that seems strange, just tell me.
It would be fairly easy to write python code to dump the recipies, since that's used to generate the module system script calls; the main annoyance would be keeping it up to date.

I'm off to bed now, as usual (I always seem to end up delaying the release until the last possible moment, when I can't stick around to answer questions)...

Joshly said:
Corsair831 said:

to top it off when anyone goes bandit people just start camping the spawn, rendering you without money. Also the bandit classes buyable in the tower do not benefit at all, as you spawn with items that would consist of a peasant, actually peasants are better armed than you. Its also a bit silly how a guy wearing chainmail can out run me on foot, so not only do you get killed on spawn, you get run down when you try to run away.

While I support the good side of having bandits KOS, it just encourages randoming. Corsair and I have tried our best, even surrendering as bandits, but 90% of server population doesn't even know what RP is. I see admins running around on fast horses giving themselves gold, but I have yet to see any of them use it for "good".

I really like this mod, and I really hope some of these problems can be addressed in the upcoming weeks.

I agree with the fact that bandits are unplayable really. Sure I managed to not die for over an hour in between but I hardly had much fun with it. The problem is that while I tried to rp my banditry with a couple friends, other people just want to kill me as soon as I turn around or they get close. Because of that I understand now why bandits just run around randoming peasants. Its all they can accomplish. I like that bandits are KOS and they should be able to KOS as well of course. But we need to find a way to make them powerful enough to stand up to soldiers at least a little bit without making them gods of destruction for the poor peasants.

As a side note why doesn't the bandit archer class get a bow when they spawn? They should just be like the archers for the other factions, bow and no melee weapon.

I used to think bandits were just jackasses for randoming people but now that i tried them out I understand their plight. Something should be done to give them some playable purpose.

outlaws are supposed to play competitively. they are outlaws for a reason

Suggestion:
Faction chat
the ability for factions to officially go to war via a leader's command
the ability for admins to reset gates?

outlaws shouldnt be KOS, they should get the rule brigands had on the old PW, unless someone witnesses them breaking a law they are innocent, brigands perfect for viking/ nord players who dont want to be tied to a faction after all

Phoenix234 said:
outlaws shouldnt be KOS, they should get the rule brigands had on the old PW, unless someone witnesses them breaking a law they are innocent, brigands perfect for viking/ nord players who dont want to be tied to a faction after all

but in this version the outlaws made the conscious decision to become an outlaw. there is no longer the protection people need to use the brigandy clothes.

I have to say, i don't think i'm going to play this version untill either the rules change, the version gets better with for example a map change or we change back to V3,5

At first, you spend 1 hour gathering money to buy something. and after that, there isn't anything happening whatsoever. Everything is spread out, some idiot destroys the bridge and splits the whole server in half. No interaction, chat is clogged with russian and raging people since the rules isn't being enforced...

It's practically unplayable, and certainly not enjoyable. Playing Pwmod used to be a way to relax, now it have become a chore.

I agree with Eragon, I have been playing for a week now and the closest i have gone to a doctor was a doctor's apprentice. Its CRAZY how much time you spend on making money and the whole bridge thing is kinda dumb to. And why does the version change every 2 friggen days?!

Eragon91 said:
I have to say, i don't think i'm going to play this version untill either the rules change, the version gets better with for example a map change or we change back to V3,5

At first, you spend 1 hour gathering money to buy something. and after that, there isn't anything happening whatsoever. Everything is spread out, some idiot destroys the bridge and splits the whole server in half. No interaction, chat is clogged with russian and raging people since the rules isn't being enforced...

It's practically unplayable, and certainly not enjoyable. Playing Pwmod used to be a way to relax, now it have become a chore.

+10 leroy approval points  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom