Persistent World 4.5.1 - download and general discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Vornne :!: Would you like to release another version :?: I'd like to have a nice lil traffic spike.

Only reached 4,2TB out of possible 60TB traffic last year december  :neutral:

4lQXBfr.png

I have a problem....

This is very annoying and someone pls help me !
i have a black screen in top of my screen in PW , in that black screen i see the clan chat...
how can i put that away....

Well....

So I downloaded Persistent World 4.4 and was trying to log into a server and it asked for a serial key. Is this my key for Mount and Blade? Because that did not work. Is it the Napoleanic key? Is there some other key I need to be looking for?

I'm using Linux and bought the game on Steam, so.... could be all sorts of issues I suppose?

Edit: Ok, entering my Warbands product code without dashes seems to have worked.

I'm a bit curious about one fact. Will the next versions of PW work with 1.158 too, or will they require newer versions of the game, like 1.167? At the moment, I rolled back to 1.158 mainly because the client became a bit more unstable since TaleWorlds started to provide technical support to Viking Conquest.

The Bowman said:
I'm a bit curious about one fact. Will the next versions of PW work with 1.158 too, or will they require newer versions of the game, like 1.167? At the moment, I rolled back to 1.158 mainly because the client became a bit more unstable since TaleWorlds started to provide technical support to Viking Conquest.

What? New PW version? HL3 and Bannerlord will be released before that happens, it seems.

The Bowman said:
I'm a bit curious about one fact. Will the next versions of PW work with 1.158 too, or will they require newer versions of the game, like 1.167?
Maybe: there are some operations added after 1.158 which could enable interesting new features, if I happened to get some motivation to try create them - nothing dependent so far, other than merge the operations and triggers for other developers (git branch 4.4_merge_1.166).

Not really. There is quite a lot to do in PW. It is almost entirely server dependent when it comes to creating a friendly and enjoyable environment. New maps come to mind.

By the way, regarding maps, did you consider creating a micro-release with the new enterable buildings for PW?

The Bowman said:
Not really. There is quite a lot to do in PW. It is almost entirely server dependent when it comes to creating a friendly and enjoyable environment. New maps come to mind.

Regardless of map, the mod has a dynamic that gets old and annoying with time. The whole metagame could do with a change.

Don't be fooled by the length of time since the last release: the update to 4.5 is pretty minor, mainly just to make the new enterable building scene props available, with various accumulated fixes and small features that didn't seem worthy of a release on their own. This release has not been properly tested, so I strongly recommend that people test it thoroughly before trying to update their main public server; particularly the admin tools, since a script was reorganised for better clarity, but those features are difficult to test by myself.
4.5.0:
More enterable buildings by The Bowman and Vornne.
Prevent any damage to ships when colliding with terrain at the slowest speed, and raise ships when partially repaired.
Implement dynamic rain, snow, and fog weather effects.
Add invisible scene props to control local area prices for certain resources, affecting crafting refunds.
Disable capture of a castle if the factions were not hostile when starting to use the capture point.
Reduce efficiency of salt mining, by reducing the number of pinches per sack from 16 to 8.
Reduce the time required to use the pw_process_cook_slow scene prop.
Add a tree that grows apples.
Increase damage of wheat sheaf so serfs can feed animals.
Increase the benefit of feeding wheat to herd animals.
Increase prices of food items.
Increase prices of hides, leather, and saddles.
Only enable the optional extra health for human agents.
Fix a bug in the option to mute global chat on your client that prevented subsequently connected players from being muted.
Increase ladder hit points by 50%.
Fix pw_ladder_14m length for the scripts.
Add a buildable siege ramp (just a plain plank appearance).
Use prop_instance_clear_attached_missiles rather than sokf_missiles_not_attached for most scene prop kinds.
Add a lance variant that breaks when successfully used in a couched attack.
Add usable invisible scene props for triggering custom scripts.
Invisible resting scene prop.
Requested banners.
Requested castle names.
Prevent trees and rocks from being automatically placed as flora, in case vegetation was enabled in the scene code (buggy).
Remove the old depreciated "looting" server option that no servers seem to be changing from default any more.
Allow disabling rain and snow particles in profile options.
Remove the shadow recalculation toggle from the action menu, since the profile option is more suitable.
Refactor the admin tools script to be clearer and easier to extend.
More error reporting when building the module.
Add a python script to dump the current list of item ids, used with the admin spawn tool.
Change the format of module_particle_systems.py to be more self explanatory when reading each entry.
Name server: convert from using the depreciated Mysql PHP extension to using PDO, refactor.
Name server: increase the size of the player unique id column in the database.
Name server: fix detection of whether the name server is set up, to enable sending player join messages.
Name server: change default database name from pw_player_names to persistent_world.
Name server: store PHP sessions in the database.
If you are running a PW 4.4 server with major modifications (possibly bending or breaking the usage conditions...) you must either stay with 4.4, run PW 4.5 official unmodified, or take the time to carefully integrate your changes into the 4.5 module system: it is a condition for usage of both the PW module system and name that server side changes must be fully compatible with official clients. Half baked copy-and-paste mixing of files from the old and new releases by people who don't want to learn the module system is unacceptable.

The additional enterable buildings were initially modified and merged from Native resources by The Bowman, with tweaks, polishing, and collision meshes done by Vornne (me). Here are some images of the new buildings available, from OpenBrf:
town_houses.jpg

castle.jpg

The weather feature took a lot of time to figure out and fix, but I don't think the end result is worthwhile overall: the impact on client performance is probably too much for most players. To have it working requires multiple invisible scene props to be placed by the scene maker, and given appropriate values; the server option that admins can change only starts and stops any weather systems placed in the scene, it does not create weather by itself. Players can choose to disable weather particle effects globally in the PW profile options (replacing the "choose a personal profile banner" in Native), if their performance is too heavily affected by servers using it.

The apple trees will not grow fruit until they are cut down and regrown since the server started: this makes the code a bit simpler, and I kept it that way to avoid apple trees placed in an uncommon or inaccessible location from flooding the server with apple items that nobody picks up.

The "local resource price areas" feature is something that was often desired by scene makers in the past, for adjusting the overall economy, but is unfortunately a bit pointless these days with the eternal item and money banking commonly used on servers, breaking the PW design. The intended usage is to carefully balance the local price of resources for each area in the scene by placing and scaling multiple marker scene props, taking into account the probable value of that resource type due to the difficulty of access or availability of supply; though it could be used with only one of each type per scene to adjust prices globally. I just never had the complete implementation idea including details before.

The PHP code in the official name server was refactored and updated from the old deprecated mysql library, mainly for the server travel feature which was removed, but I left the updated base code in. This means that people building on top of the PW name server might need a major code update to work with the latest version, sorry. It is written in a better style than before, which was designed quickly for a small feature which grew over time.

This update has been so long in coming because I have been busier with other things in life over the last few years, and some features I had queued for this release still had problems, but I didn't have much motivation to spend the time testing and fixing them; so they have been extracted from 4.5.0, but still available to any interested scripters in the "combined_world" git branch. I strongly dislike the common usage of PW by server hosters these days, and since the main ideas that inspired me when initially helping develop PW have almost all been completed, it is hard to get motivated to develop test and fix new features. You never know though, since the new operations available in Warband 1.165+ probably enable some interesting new ways to implement old ideas.

The "combined world / server travel" feature was mostly written years ago, as the least terrible example of storing player equipment and troop type in an external database that I could think of, for the people who kept asking for example scripts: the scene creator places "travel area" props at the edges of the scene, which players hold "use" at for 30 seconds to store their character to the database then automatically disconnect from the server, with a message specifying the name of the other server they have travelled to; they then join that other server (which is connected to the same database) and are then loaded at the linked travel area with equipment and troop type and the entry is removed from the database, to represent travelling from one realm to another; connecting multiple Warband servers into one large world. The feature could also be used to create "save areas" for a single server, where players could use a travel scene prop placed in a non strategic area while not in active combat (since they would be undefended from other players killing them) for 30 seconds, disconnect from the server, then rejoin later to the same server, loading back inside the same travel area - avoiding the game breaking "combat logging" and "strategic log off to take people unawares later" issues that plague the common implementations.

Another excuse players use to try justify being able to teleport in and out of the game world without penalty is that they crash a lot, and don't want to die in that case: to circumvent that, I started on another feature to keep a "place holder" agent in the game world after a client is unintentionally disconnected, which the player will take over from again if they reconnect to the server within a short time. While the player is disconnected, their place holder agent can be freely attacked by other players to take the armor, items, or loot money, preventing players from using it as a way to unfairly get out of trouble (by intentionally ending the game process with the task manager, an old trick). The code in the git branch basically works, but it has multiple bugs to be fixed.

Despite being quite out of the blue I must say that this is certainly quite a nice/intriguing patch. Love the idea of a dynamic weather system, yet, given how unoptimised Warband itself is I wonder if it will be stable or used at all (as you said yourself, it has a heavy impact on performance).

Wow, thank you!  :smile:

The "local resource price areas" feature is something that was often desired by scene makers in the past, for adjusting the overall economy, but is unfortunately a bit pointless these days with the eternal item and money banking commonly used on servers, breaking the PW design.

Well, at least it stops people from crafting over 9000 dresses in a village with low linen price  :grin:

I suppose apple pies are not an option?

Back
Top Bottom