Your Bike

Users who are viewing this thread

Austupaio said:
Tibertus said:
I'll take pictures when I'm done I guess. It's not much to look at  though.
:arrow:

I gave up on my track bike dreams. I don't have a tow vehicle anymore. Plus I need to diagnose an electrical problem with the bike. I was having charging issues, so I thought hey, the battery was pretty old, so I put in a new one. Now, I'm getting a charge, but the bike won't start. It's acting like I don't have enough cold cranking amps to turn over the motor. Maybe the starter is shot too. Sadly the bike has been sitting for a few months now, which is never a good thing, especially with something Italian and almost 15 years old. It may be time for a new bike, sad days.

Aww :sad:

Venerable F. Sheep said:
I'm sure this isn't as impressive as most of your bikes, but I went for a ride with the old man today. His is the Yamaha R1, I got the Yamaha FZR 600R (which I'm stood next to and sat on) today (off my dad :razz:). Apologies for the unexciting, terrible quality phone pictures. The two kids are my younger brother and sister we went to see.

IMG-20140829-WA0004_zps28c58f32.jpg
IMG-20140829-WA0005_zps4c4fe8b6.jpg

Cool pics!

Yeah, purple is extremely homosexual, I know. (Which I suppose means it is perfect for Taleworlds.) It's the original FZR 600R livery though. :razz:

Don't mind it too much myself, but I have already been contemplating getting it painted in a different colour.

Venerable F. Sheep said:
Yeah, purple is extremely homosexual, I know. (Which I suppose means it is perfect for Taleworlds.) It's the original FZR 600R livery though. :razz:

Don't mind it too much myself, but I have already been contemplating getting it painted in a different colour.

Don't give in to the gay jokes. Just own the color. It's a good bike.

Tibertus said:
I gave up on my track bike dreams. I don't have a tow vehicle anymore. Plus I need to diagnose an electrical problem with the bike. I was having charging issues, so I thought hey, the battery was pretty old, so I put in a new one. Now, I'm getting a charge, but the bike won't start. It's acting like I don't have enough cold cranking amps to turn over the motor. Maybe the starter is shot too. Sadly the bike has been sitting for a few months now, which is never a good thing, especially with something Italian and almost 15 years old. It may be time for a new bike, sad days.
Ah, too bad. Not too big on bikes in general but track/off-road bikes have always been pretty cool to me.

What do you mean you don't have a tow vehicle, just throw it in the passenger's seat of the Miata, it won't hurt anything, I swear.

Tibertus said:
Venerable F. Sheep said:

Don't give in to the gay jokes. Just own the color. It's a good bike.
Give in to the gay jokes. That is coming from the Miata owner.

Bad news!

Had the last ride of the year today. Which was just shy of one kilometre. Next ride will be whenever temperature goes somewhat permanently back above zero again :<

Tibertus said:
C'mon, give it a little attention, electrical problems are easy to solve. Get a multimeter and get cracking.

Hey guys, I have never been on a bike except for the passenger seat, and I plan on getting into it. I wanted to know a good bike I could start with, some people told me that the suzuki bandit 650 is a good choice for a beginner . I have no clue on how to drive a roadster, how dangerous is it, have you ever had accident, falls , crash etc..

Sayd Ûthman said:
Hey guys, I have never been on a bike except for the passenger seat, and I plan on getting into it. I wanted to know a good bike I could start with, some people told me that the suzuki bandit 650 is a good choice for a beginner . I have no clue on how to drive a roadster, how dangerous is it, have you ever had accident, falls , crash etc..

Suzuki Bandit is a terrible choice for a first bike. For a start, it's a hooligan bike (or it is here) so you'll pay a lot on insurance (likely) and chances are they will have been ridden hard by their owners.

Go for a Honda as your first bike, they're virtually indestructible and parts will be cheap and ubiquitous. Alternatively, Yamaha are affordable and fairly reliable and parts should be aplenty.

Avoid Triumph and Ducati, they're more expensive, harder to find dealers/mechanics for, and generally you don't want to be dropping something that expensive 'cos it's your first bike.

Suzuki and Kawasaki tend to try for speed more than reliability so although there are some decent bikes for beginners in the range you might find you spend more on repairs/maintenance than a Honda or a Yamaha.

That said, the Suzuki Gladius is a nice bike. I have a Kawasaki ER6n, but I also really like the Yamaha XJ6n. Check this out:  http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/the-four-horsemen---kawasaki-z750-suzuki-gladius-honda-hornet-yamaha-xj6/10416.html

This is all assuming you don't want a cruiser. If you do, then Yamaha do a Dragstar that comes in a range of different sizes, and most companies do a small range of cruisers, Harleys are the best known but I believe are overpriced (here) and not as easy to find parts/labour for as the Japanese bikes (similar to Ducati and Triumph)

If you want something to practice on you could either get yourself a 125 or a 250 and upgrade after you're comfortable, or start off with something tame like a Suzuki GS500 so you don't have to be afraid of dropping it, and then upgrade again up to a 750 or 1000cc, then you'll have more options open to you.

Of course it depends on your country's licencing laws; here you can't just go straight to a mid-range bike unless you're a certain age and pass all the written and practical tests, and even then I've never known anybody to jump in the deep end unrestricted without a bit of prior experience behind the handlebars themselves.

Well, here you can start with a 1000 if you wanted to do so. I don't think I am patient enough to buy a 250 and wait to upgrade, and I can't afford it too financially. Could you please tell me what makes the bandit 650 a bad bike a part from the insurance cost (wich is pretty low here)

Back
Top Bottom