SOD Warlords - Suggestions & Discussions Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

LibSpit said:
yes you have the option always, but I think it only starts working when you have a party inventory management of a certain level

Actually that is not correct.  The option to manage my party inventory and ask them to auto upgrade only became available when my inventory management reached 3.  It may also be affected by my companions that I don't know.  They might actually auto upgrade with a higher inventory skill that I also don't know but the option only became available when my skill reached 3.

I don't read much so sorry in advance if this was already brought up.

Executing nobles and kings is a great AWESOME feature but I would like to see more immersion. For example; the option to build an execution scaffold for a town to publicly display the power of the king which lessens the amount of honour lost when you kill them. With this expanded feature should also come the option to kill prisoners in combat when asked to duel, declining the duel has a slight honour loss and letting them live if you defeat them is also an honour loss, albeit slightly less.

Now, with this talk of honour brings up yet another observation, banditry and the lack of it. Lords and kings whom you have a low relationship with as well as a negative degree of honour should permit the option to vandalise their fiefs in a personal way; raping their wives/daughters and impregnating them, butchering the population, killing their family, etc. As read from a M&B 2 suggestion thread.

And yet another topic brought up, most likely a lot, the ability to have children as well as an aging + health and disease system which is pretty self explanatory.

With what I think would be a very useful feature is to wait for a number of days/weeks/months/years since building, no matter how high your engineering skill is, takes too long.

Ðarkstar said:

Executing nobles and kings is a great AWESOME feature but I would like to see more immersion. For example; the option to build an execution scaffold for a town to publicly display the power of the king which lessens the amount of honour lost when you kill them. With this expanded feature should also come the option to kill prisoners in combat when asked to duel, declining the duel has a slight honour loss and letting them live if you defeat them is also an honour loss, albeit slightly less.

Loss of honor for letting a defeated opponent live?  Wrong way around there mate.  It shows more honor (and potentially cruelty at the same time) to allow them to live than to just slay them.  As for declining the duel, I'd like to see first the combat duel options limited to nobles only.  There is no honor in duelling a commoner, even if that commoner is an elite soldier.

Now, with this talk of honour brings up yet another observation, banditry and the lack of it. Lords and kings whom you have a low relationship with as well as a negative degree of honour should permit the option to vandalise their fiefs in a personal way; raping their wives/daughters and impregnating them, butchering the population, killing their family, etc. As read from a M&B 2 suggestion thread.

Getting a little...well, maybe a lot...out there with this.  You want rape games, go look on deviant websites.  Such does not belong in this game or any other mainstream game.

And yet another topic brought up, most likely a lot, the ability to have children as well as an aging + health and disease system which is pretty self explanatory.

While such could be interesting, it also would take away from the main focus of the game.  There is already a little bit of a health and disease system in SoD, limited to the general population of towns and villages...and that is as far as it should go.  As for aging, what point would there be in having an aging system when the course of an entire game on the vanilla map can be completed in 6 months...and on the SoD map in 2 years?

With what I think would be a very useful feature is to wait for a number of days/weeks/months/years since building, no matter how high your engineering skill is, takes too long.

My character has level 10 engineering, and with the bonus I get for having it on my character it is level 14.  This means that as long as there is a halfway decent (100 or so) population in a village, and decent (1200-1500) population in a town nothing takes more than 1-3 days to build once the Manufactury or Toolshop is finished...and even those go up in under 2 weeks.
If all you're doing is sitting around at home waiting on stuff to finish building...then you're missing out on a lot of the game.  Even during peacetime you could be trying to make friends with or hunt down bandits, interfere with the wars of other factions by jumping in on battles or rescuing imprisoned lords, recruiting and training a variety of troops, etc.  Enough so that you'll be saying 'oh, damn...that's done building ALREADY?' when you're on the far side of the map and something finished up.

Digital Terror said:
Ðarkstar said:

Loss of honor for letting a defeated opponent live?  Wrong way around there mate.  It shows more honor (and potentially cruelty at the same time) to allow them to live than to just slay them.  As for declining the duel, I'd like to see first the combat duel options limited to nobles only.  There is no honor in duelling a commoner, even if that commoner is an elite soldier.

Getting a little...well, maybe a lot...out there with this.  You want rape games, go look on deviant websites.  Such does not belong in this game or any other mainstream game.

While such could be interesting, it also would take away from the main focus of the game.  There is already a little bit of a health and disease system in SoD, limited to the general population of towns and villages...and that is as far as it should go.  As for aging, what point would there be in having an aging system when the course of an entire game on the vanilla map can be completed in 6 months...and on the SoD map in 2 years?

My character has level 10 engineering, and with the bonus I get for having it on my character it is level 14.  This means that as long as there is a halfway decent (100 or so) population in a village, and decent (1200-1500) population in a town nothing takes more than 1-3 days to build once the Manufactury or Toolshop is finished...and even those go up in under 2 weeks.
If all you're doing is sitting around at home waiting on stuff to finish building...then you're missing out on a lot of the game.  Even during peacetime you could be trying to make friends with or hunt down bandits, interfere with the wars of other factions by jumping in on battles or rescuing imprisoned lords, recruiting and training a variety of troops, etc.  Enough so that you'll be saying 'oh, damn...that's done building ALREADY?' when you're on the far side of the map and something finished up.

That's a contradiction, by letting someone live after they've been defeated is cruelty thereby the opposite of honour, you're just being a **** and making them suffer in shame some more. And of course this would be limited to nobility, that goes without saying.

I'm not talking about visual depictions and in the medieval era lords and bandits would rape their enemies constantly, do you even know how pathetic humanity was/is? A cinematic isn't necessary and I don't want a rape game, I want immersion and realism and clearly so do other people, obviously not a child's depiction of the medieval era. This added feature wouldn't fully be what it should be without childbirth, otherwise this is just a population, morale and relationship type of thing (which isn't that bad by itself, it would just feel lacking).

And again, this is about realism and immersion, no single person can conquer a country in just 2 years, these kinds of things took decades and relied heavily on heirs to success.
This should be a part of an optional mode for people who aren't as casual or a submod since some people have a less attentive attention span.

These are mere suggestions for immersion and intellectual fun, not sick requests to fulfill a fetish. Please have less ignorance next time, thanks.

To be perfectly honest darkstar I do not see how your 'new option' differs mechanics wise from the current village raiding system..

The village loses possesions, prosperity and population. So I guess what you are asking for is also a negative relationship impact with the owning lord? I don't know if this happens or not at the moment..

As for immersion, any adult who knows about the medieval era knows what went on, so frankly you can fill in the blanks with your own head, there is no need to spell it out for people what happens in a raid, or a sacking (except it's impact in terms of game mechanics to some extent somewhere) So it is better to leave out the 'explicit' details, in a description, that anyone of any age or disposition would read.

We do however want to add in an 'occupation' system similar to the Total War system where when you take a location you have a choice of occupation methods, from peaceful, to looting, to enslaving, to total devastation etc. the exact options and details will depend on the other mechanics we successfully implement, and thus the number of factors that can be manipulated when occupying a territory.

The whole Lord execution system is only in an experimental stage, and was left overpowered, so the details of this will be changing in the future anyway.

As for game length\speed we are already looking at this and discussing possible changes, but what you have to realise is this is more than simply an 'optional extra' What this is would be is completely rebuilding game mechanics from the ground up, and scaling everything to go with it, building times, population growth, game speed, travel speed... on and on..

It's not a simple or quick job, but we are already thinking about and discussing this in depth.

LibSpit said:
To be perfectly honest darkstar I do not see how your 'new option' differs mechanics wise from the current village raiding system..

The village loses possesions, prosperity and population. So I guess what you are asking for is also a negative relationship impact with the owning lord? I don't know if this happens or not at the moment..

As for immersion, any adult who knows about the medieval era knows what went on, so frankly you can fill in the blanks with your own head, there is no need to spell it out for people what happens in a raid, or a sacking (except it's impact in terms of game mechanics to some extent somewhere) So it is better to leave out the 'explicit' details, in a description, that anyone of any age or disposition would read.

The whole Lord execution system is only in an experimental stage, and was left overpowered, so the details of this will be changing in the future anyway.

As for game length\speed we are already looking at this and discussing possible changes, but what you have to realise is this is more than simply an 'optional extra' What this is would be is completely rebuilding game mechanics from the ground up, and scaling everything to go with it, building times, population growth, game speed, travel speed... on and on..

It's not a simple or quick job, but we are already thinking about and discussing this in depth.

Thank you and I know, it's just a suggestion but thank you for the positive reply.

No worries, the thing to remember is that there is always a balance to be struck between 'realism\immersion\explicit content' and 'safety' of play and decency for all groups that wish to play, particularly 'younger' ages (not that we would expect anyone too young to be playing this) :grin:

Early on compy made the conscious decision (and I agree) to remove the 'rapey' elements from the game, (there was some allusions to it in the random events of SOD) Just because mechanics wise they play no major part or impact, and really it is just unnecessary to immerse people in that kind of stuff. Like I said, anyone with a passing knowledge of the Medieval era knows how brutal it was, so really they can fill in the 'brutality' part all by themselves. Or go study some history and then fill in the blanks for themselves! :grin:

We do intend to add plenty more 'evil options' to the game for those who enjoy exorcising their darker nature through the Virtual desctruction of a continent! :grin: Generally burning, killing and raging around everywhere. With all the ups and downs that go with it!

Death and Execution of NPCs is planned to develop much more, what you see now was really the technical experiment of can it be done, or will it explode?!? There is also the very amusing thread somewhere around here where someone took this experiment to the extreme to discover what happens if you kill everybody!

General depth\immersion\story telling is also under heavy development, and for those who enjoy that sort of thing we hope to include plenty of content to be dug around in and explore to find out and witness all the culture and diversity that SoD and Calradia and Panovosa have to offer.

Suffice to say I think when we are done, people will be suitably satisfied with the results on all levels of play.

LibSpit said:
No worries, the thing to remember is that there is always a balance to be struck between 'realism\immersion\explicit content' and 'safety' of play and decency for all groups that wish to play, particularly 'younger' ages (not that we would expect anyone too young to be playing this) :grin:

Early on compy made the conscious decision (and I agree) to remove the 'rapey' elements from the game, (there was some allusions to it in the random events of SOD) Just because mechanics wise they play no major part or impact, and really it is just unnecessary to immerse people in that kind of stuff. Like I said, anyone with a passing knowledge of the Medieval era knows how brutal it was, so really they can fill in the 'brutality' part all by themselves. Or go study some history and then fill in the blanks for themselves! :grin:

We do intend to add plenty more 'evil options' to the game for those who enjoy exorcising their darker nature through the Virtual desctruction of a continent! :grin: Generally burning, killing and raging around everywhere. With all the ups and downs that go with it!

Death and Execution of NPCs is planned to develop much more, what you see now was really the technical experiment of can it be done, or will it explode?!? There is also the very amusing thread somewhere around here where someone took this experiment to the extreme to discover what happens if you kill everybody!

General depth\immersion\story telling is also under heavy development, and for those who enjoy that sort of thing we hope to include plenty of content to be dug around in and explore to find out and witness all the culture and diversity that SoD and Calradia and Panovosa have to offer.

Suffice to say I think when we are done, people will be suitably satisfied with the results on all levels of play.

Yaaayyy!!! That's exactly what I wanted to hear, mwah!

How about custom units?
Like you buy very expensive noob units, but you have to gear them yourself. Or have your guy in your court take different kind of armors of your choosing, a weapon and puts up a price per unit?

Been playing this mod for three years.

My suggestions:
Freelancer mod
Better battle AI and options like the Floris mod
More complex noble title structure like Barons/ Earls/Dukes ect
More city, castle and fief building options
I do like the manor system in the 1257  mod

I cant stand the Roman faction, I know it likely wont go but just don't think it fits.

@Ryusai
Yeah we've decided on something like that for the new one though it'll be more different from what you used to seeing. Troops will become more important to keep alive this time around.

@crazyewok
Freelancer is on the permanent back burner because my number one concern about the new release is script speed. I've had to practically change the foundation of warband so I can build entirely new systems so the game can work smoothly with the scale of the mod I'm making. There's really going to be a lot more going on in the mod to be concerned about being a foot soldier. Though I am trying to offer a large variety of gameplay styles to the game.

So far this is a few of the roles I have planned and in production.
Mayor, Baron, Bishop, Gladiator, Mercenary, Guild Member, Emporer, King, Count, Duke, Archduke, Viscount, Marquee, Tribal King, Chief Leader, Clan Ring member, Thane, Merchant, General.

Much of the lower level roles are simulated because much of the game is really focused in management. The higher your role the more decision making you'll be doing and therefore you won't be doing too much action yourself during war time. Even though freelancer allows you to be all action without the getting into dialog and what not I believe people will really enjoy being in a Mercenary Guild or working in a faction as a General.

The clan stuff isn't fully worked out but if your apart of a clan or tribe (which is multiple allied clans) it is all about raiding other clans and kingdoms and causiny general chaos. Clans do a lot of raiding but the don't grow like Fuedal factions. After the grow a certain size they split off a good 25% of there clan for new land.

There are already a ton of building options being made, much are WIP as I am still deciding how faith effects gameplay.

I haven't played 1247 in some years but I'll check it out.

I've been playing the mod and there are a lot of suggestions...

- don't let the troops line up in a duel it ****s up my formations and they take a looong time to get back together from the line..

- make the starting distance between the 2 armies bigger so I have chance to line up the troops and explore the area..

- the AI sometimes doesn't attack, make them wait for x time then attack because it becomes boring ...

- castles take too long to siege more than towns and for no real reason...

- tournaments give wayyyyyyyyyy too much money they are overpowered...

- you start with aloot of troops and that's not fun its actually fun to start from the bottom like a poor villager then become the greatest king that ever lived.

- Archery (bows) and firearms are wayyyy too underpowered and there are too much heavily armored troops that militias cant do **** in a siege.

- Antarians are overpowered as heck

- crossbows are also underpowered but not as much as bows are..

- mercenary camps from old m&b were great but now they are gone..

these are my suggestions
1. more castle scenes, kind of tired of the old native scene, maybe bigger castles and more ladders
2. hopefully better graphics
3. troops upgrade to higher level
4. more formations
5. pre-battle planning
6. option for lord to make peace
7. more options in towns, castles, or villages
8. more quests
9 stronger bandits
10. bandit leader
11. new arena scenes

just my two cents here, ignore it if it has been said tons of times or its just complicated or whatever reason you see fit. I'm just dropping it here.

-customizable troops (some sort of unnequipped royal guard (because of shipwreck?) that you rebuild) -taken from the CKO from PoP
-Faith related buildings (like barracks for troop upgrading) and have faith requisitions/faith cost to do so.
-Some minor factions apart from deserters and bandits (mercenaries?) (not really needed since there are so many factions already) or bandits posing an occassional threat.
-Loved the invasion from the original M&B, but i cant see how it could fit in the lore (actually, the main character is the invasion)
-give honor/dishonor a bigger role, maybe boosting/penalizing faith or nobility events
-Some unique items could be either royal artifacts like M&B, items in capital's chests, "bargains" for releasing kings or faction leaders or some sort of late game items (rune weapons from PoP are an example here)
-adding currency items (hard to get, used to unlock especific stuff)

nothing else worth mentioning comes to my mind at this moment

now i'll get back to my dark corner and see what you think about it. Great job with the mod btw, congrats!

and instead of " Just climbing the ladders " to storm the castle etc . why not make gates breakable ?
make the gate as the main entrance to storm the castle etc .  :grin:

and also about the tournament betting system .
I agree to Gambino , they give too much money .
its like a cheat for me.
I can earn as much as 100k in just one tournament.
can U lower it like in Native ?
or just make an enable and disable.
plssss.

the towns/villages system will be changed in the new version, and 'I think' we have plans to make towns nameable, but I am not sure exactly if/what we can do with that.

'Why not make gates breakable' This is actually a much bigger thing to do than you might think.

First you have to decide 'how' gates are breakable.

From what I remember the engine cannot have 'in scene' breakable gates, by that I mean you cannot start the battle, go up to the gate, and smash it. The scene engine just can't do it.

So do you make it a 'pre battle option' you can, but then you need a check/balance that takes into account friendly and enemy numbers, level of castle and generates a difficulty for success. (which has sort of been done in some games) you then would need to make a smashed and non-smashed gate scene for every castle.

Suffice to say it is a fairly massive undertaking...

we do want to make seige warfare bigger and better and we have thought a lot about it, but as with everything it takes time.

Tournament betting:
Plenty of people moan about this, I tell them the same thing, this version is a test platform for kingdom managenment, as such tournaments are buffed to help you get there faster, if you don't like it then just police yourself and don't use it to the n-th degree!

Do we really need to waste hours adding in code for an option that you can just do yourself by not clicking Bet Bet Bet Max Max Max every tournament...

Compy's got better things to do, like SERIOUSLY BETTER THINGS, game changing things!!!

o h.
about the tournament , now I know what is it for .
thanks alot ! Now it make sense to me now . hahahaha  :oops:
I really thought of it as a cheat . now Im convinced .
gonna use those money wisely this time .  :grin:
and also about the enable and disable button ,
I want them so that I wont be tempted to raise my bet .
but now , I think theres no need for to be implemented after all ,
Im really convinced now . hahahaha  :grin:

and about the breakable gates ,
now I know that , it was a stupid suggestion , 
just ignore it then . hahahaha .

BTW . thank u for the reply .
youre good men !
youre really good at it .
hahahaha .  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom