Weapon chrush

Users who are viewing this thread

UberFly

Recruit
Weapons could breake. Example - sword can chrush, if you block heavy weapon hit - of course - in random way - not always.
Also player health idicator could be invisible. If charaster trained his stamina - he can take more hits, than unexpierienced, naked player Smile in random way of course. Also charaster could be in knockout for some seconds after horse or heavy weapon punch ( even if protected with shield ).

I would be all for this, except, there is no way to defend your self with out a weapon. So i would have to say no. If i get my bastard sword broken because i blocked a great axe, im screwed.

I dont fancy getting knocked out for 5 seconds while some little assbeard is hitting me with an axe. We already get knocked down and are defenseless for 2 seconds, thats all i really want. becuase if i get knicked unconsious just cuz some lil bung hole swung his club behind me, while some lil gimp is stabbin, you can easily die in the period of helplessness

Nay

Ian

How about to fight with hands, specially, if iron gloves on your hands :smile:? also shield can be used to hit. half broken sword still can function. and what about picking up dead enemy weapon? this one fuction could be a big step forward to realisticy. :wink:

I agree with the weapons being battered and smashed but maybe not randomly. i would like the weapons the have a from of durability...
if you weapon takes a beatind it can become bent, or under extreme (and i mean extreme!!!) stress it could be cracked... a blacksmith could then repair it. a blacksmith in turn could then "Balance" and "Water-Steel" you blade, these upgrades wont dissapear however, if you sword gets bent it become a "Water-Steel, Bent Blade"

sry went a bit off topic.

if you weapon gets dameaged in a fight (bent or cracked) you can be warned and you swords damage will fall accordingly, thisapplies to armour aswell. it mean you will have to repair your gear and means you dont have to spend an eternity looking fo reinforced black armour, you just upgrade and repair it.

in battle unconciousness is already there, when your beaten with a club, unconciousness last for longer than 5 seconds... if any thing falling off your horse should just do alot more damage (determin bonus damge if horse crucshes you , OUCH!)

UberFly said:
Weapons could breake. Example - sword can chrush, if you block heavy weapon hit - of course - in random way - not always.

And now... Go get an armature, axe, lay armature between two racks and try to break it with your axe. See the result? :smile: You'll just blunt your axe. And medieval weapons were maybe even more durable than this metal piece... Yes, their sharpening could suffer from blocking, so I suggest to eventually decrease the quality of the weapon when doing extreme blocks. Of course, with a possibility to repair it at the nearest smithy. Thoughts?

KnZ said:
UberFly said:

And now... Go get an armature, axe, lay armature between two racks and try to break it with your axe. See the result? :smile: You'll just blunt your axe. And medieval weapons were maybe even more durable than this metal piece... Yes, their sharpening could suffer from blocking, so I suggest to eventually decrease the quality of the weapon when doing extreme blocks. Of course, with a possibility to repair it at the nearest smithy. Thoughts?

Swords can break. European swords was not as suceptible to this as Japaneese though. It all comes down to the tempering: A very hard blade can be very sharp, but it breaks and chips more easily.

Swords can break. European swords was not as suceptible to this as Japaneese though. It all comes down to the tempering: A very hard blade can be very sharp, but it breaks and chips more easily.

I mean no offence, but imagine how tight you need to hold your weapon for your enemy to break it with a stike! Breaking weapon means that its handle is still in your hands, and the part of the blade is fying fa-a-a-ar away :grin: . A man, even the strongest knight, isn't stranglehold to grab weapon THAT tight. Yes, some weapons (maybe even not heavy) had "swordcatching" parts that allowed to break enemy's weapon by pulling and turning it fast in some direction, but mostly the damage to the blade was in blunting and making it rote like a chainsaw :smile:

KnZ said:

I mean no offence, but imagine how tight you need to hold your weapon for your enemy to break it with a stike! Breaking weapon means that its handle is still in your hands, and the part of the blade is fying fa-a-a-ar away :grin: . A man, even the strongest knight, isn't stranglehold to grab weapon THAT tight. Yes, some weapons (maybe even not heavy) had "swordcatching" parts that allowed to break enemy's weapon by pulling and turning it fast in some direction, but mostly the damage to the blade was in blunting and making it rote like a chainsaw :smile:

Yes if you just hold your weapon and the other guy hits it it will be hard to hold on to. But imagine in a fight when both fighters attack at the same time and a sloppy block is ade where the two blades meet head on. This force will be enough to seriously damage and, iof the blade is hard enough, break it. I have never had a sword break, but I have had swords become so badly chipped that they couldn't be repaired. But with a harder blade, like a katana, there are quite a few records of blades breaking.

Heh, normally I don't get involved in these arguments, because of my somewhat limited expertise. However, I have done some research on the katana before, so I'd like to insert a bit of a refutation to your comment about it, bewing. I won't deny that the art of katana making evolved over time, and there are indeed records that, at points in that evolution, it had a tendency to break when used against certain armor types. However, to say that a katana was more susceptible to breaking because of being a harder blade is somewhat inaccurate.

In the forging process, the hardness of the steel was a product of how fast the blade was cooled. They only wanted the leading edge of the weapon to be particularly hard, so that it would hold its edge, so what they'd do is cover everything but that leading edge in a clay mixture before shoving the whole thing into the water. Result: The edge was, as you say, hard. But the rest of the sword was softer, and thus less brittle, more durable.

As for the subject at hand, I'd be strongly opposed to a sword breaking all at once. Over time, it might take some damage, but there should be ways of repairing it. If it's just a matter of a blade getting dull, I don't even know if that warrants a blacksmith. Just buy a whet stone, and sharpen it yourself. If the damage os more serious, such as chipping, I'm not qualified to say of there'd be anything a blacksmith could do to repair it, but for the purposes of this game, I definitely think it should be possible. Same with armor. I think it'd be cool if a blacksmith could upgrade any piece of equipment to the highest quality in the game (Reinforced, watered steel, and so on.). It would just get progressively more expensive.

As to the suggestion that you'd get knocked out in battle, without the battle ending then and there? Hell no. What possible fun would a player derive from sitting there and watching as his character is hacked to pieces without any means of fighting back?

GreenKnight said:
As for the subject at hand, I'd be strongly opposed to a sword breaking all at once. Over time, it might take some damage, but there should be ways of repairing it. If it's just a matter of a blade getting dull, I don't even know if that warrants a blacksmith. Just buy a whet stone, and sharpen it yourself. If the damage os more serious, such as chipping, I'm not qualified to say of there'd be anything a blacksmith could do to repair it, but for the purposes of this game, I definitely think it should be possible. Same with armor. I think it'd be cool if a blacksmith could upgrade any piece of equipment to the highest quality in the game (Reinforced, watered steel, and so on.). It would just get progressively more expensive.

As to the suggestion that you'd get knocked out in battle, without the battle ending then and there? Hell no. What possible fun would a player derive from sitting there and watching as his character is hacked to pieces without any means of fighting back?

My point exactly! I just don'y know english that good to explain it how you've done.
And about katanas... I've talked to a man who studied in technical university on the speciality of metal processing, and his coursework was about forging in medieval times in different countries. He took Japan. Now, what he've said is quite interesting. Katanas were extremely sharp blades, but they got dull and chipped after a serious clash. That's why the back side of the katana's blade was used in parrying - it was not sharpened. Next. Katanas were mostly made using the technology of multi-layer forging. What do this mean? This means that the first couple of layers were made of a very hard and durable steel, which was as difficult to break as to sharpen it, and that's why next layers were made of softer steel - to sharpen it easier. Japaneese warriors (and their enemies) mostly didn't wear armor (maybe wooden... and cuirasses... but a full metal plate or chainmail was a nonsense in 14-16th centuries), and handled their swords very accurately not to destroy the shapening. And, of course, each warior was excellent at sharpening his own blade - it was a kind of ritual for them. So the fragility of sharpening wasn't a problem for them.

Just buy a whet stone, and sharpen it yourself.
Well yes, but some skill is still needed. An unskilled person wouldn't sharpen his blade very good...

Sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps it could be implemented in a similar fashion to other RPG games and FPS for that matter.

Weapon has a status of 100% or Excellent or some such title indicating ideal reliabity.

Weapon damaged randomly in combat loses some effectiveness and/or durability.

Weapon's chances of becoming nonfunctional increases as its effectiveness/durability decreases. To stay in character with a medieval themed game, breakdown possibility could be expressed subjectively "excellent" "good" "fair" "chipped" "blunt" etc. depending on weapon type.

Weapon could be repaired for a fee by any smith.

That sort of thing. I don't think this is a major deal but the more details added sometimes the more immersive the game. Maybe. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom