Floris Default Troop Tree Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't know how useful this is going to be, but if you're like me and expanded troop trees that have more than 3 branches give you headaches, then hopefully we can understand each other's pain and why I personally felt this needed to be compiled.

I'm obviously not finished, and will proceed to do so as soon as I can. I've just been selected to beta test DOTA 2 however, so this could take a while.

KINGDOM OF SWADIA
Faction Overview
The Swadians are an interesting faction with 3 different flavors of archer as well as 3 different flavors of cavalry, although chances are you won't want to bother with most of them. Their cavalry are unmatched by any other faction in both skill and equipment, and their decently armored archers, are quite capable of mowing down enemy lines, while not being entirely incapable of protecting themselves in the event of melee. Their infantry, while not terribly weak, is definitely not something to be feared either.

GRAND PRINCIPALITY OF THE VAEGIRS
Faction Overview
The Vaegirs are essentially Swadians with slightly weaker cavalry, significantly scarier archers. They also have the ability to field horse archers, although they're a little lacking compared to the horse archers of the Khergits and Sarranids. All of the better Vaegirs infantry units use blunt weapons, which is always nice because prisoners are awesome, but don't expect them to last very long against troops of equal rank.

KHERGIT KHANATE
Faction Overview
Horses, horses everywhere. Khergit mobility is a dangerous tool, more so when being commanded by an actual person ( I find the AI tends to uses their cavalry a little irresponsibly). On the field, Khergits will, at the very least, prolong a fight to annoying long lengths, and at best, leave the enemy infantry pointlessly chasing after steppe horses and being mowed down by constant arrow fire. In a melee or siege, the fragile nature of Khergit troops really begins to shamefully show itself.

KINGDOM OF THE NORDS
Faction Overview
My favorite faction due to the brainless nature of it. Nords excel in pummeling everything within arm's reach, and chucking spears and axes at everything else. Getting within arm's reach of the enemy is rarely a problem either with all troops having at least one point of Ironflesh, and an abundance of heavy armor and shields. On the field, the effectiveness of Nords is greatly influenced by terrain and tactics, and victory almost always relies on engaging in melee with the enemy as the Nords lack any sort of archer worth having. In a siege, they win. Nuff said.

RHODOK REPUBLIC
Faction Overview
Nearly every Rhodok troop is designed to get a man off a horse and in a grave (good luck Khergits). Nearly all Rhodoks boast sturdy armor and long reaching weapons, and are therefore a wonderful turtle faction. Their crossbows deal massive damage and are guaranteed to wipe out a considerable chunk of a charging army, and those left alive will be quickly put into pieces by large swords and long spears. Nearly every Rhodok unit has a shield as well, making them quite arrow proof.

SARRANID SULTANATE
Faction Overview
Sarranids are to Khergits as Swadians are to Vaegirs. Sarranids have slightly weaker archers in favor of more melee capable armies. While there are certainly more infantry available to the Sarranids than the Khergits, their cavalry counterparts are generally more effective, making them more useful for fodder than anything else.

Thank you.

Shouldn't this be a sticky on the main page, for how important the troop changes are from native? Or at least change the name "submods and other contributions" to "Submods, Guides etc". with the current name I would never think to look for a guide like this there, even if it is the only guide(sadly).

I'd say that stickies are full enough as is. This is another "contribution"...but perhaps a more direct thread title there wouldn't hurt. It's good forum practice to look through all stickies anyhow (and why bloating the number of them isn't always wise). Heck, the nice red text that shows up before you start a thread even asks you to do it before posting.

That said, nice work, Sgt Grumbles!

This has been one long DOTA game. Sorry, I'll finish soon.
Thanks for all the positive feedback too. I might try and make the whole thing a little more detailed after I get all the basic information down.

I would rather see stats over the wages, since the wage ultimately varies on your Leadership skill level.  Also, what you are doing is fantastic Grumbles...and the description of the Cittadino made me chuckle. >->

@vbigiani: Patience young one.
@BringTheChallange: You think wrong.

When I finish the neutrals, I'll be adding some other essentials like proficiencies, armor, stats, etc.

How do i hire townsmen and refuges?

I know i can get farmers and peasant women by attacking bandits group with prisoners. Is there any otherway to hire them?

I don't think you can really hire Townsmen and Refugees, only their derivative units.

(I found 3 Townsmen in my town but can't recall how they got there, and you can recruit one by recruiting the Spy prisoner from the 'follow a spy to his meeting' quest, so it's not 100% true that townsmen are unfindable... just highly unlikely to find).

sorry to revive an old thread, especially with a slightly off topic post but... I'm editing the Floris mod troop tree for a slightly less cluttered version, purely for personal use/preference. I am curious as to whether starting a new game with my edited troop tree will cause WB to CTD?

Thanks in advance!

Do the Sarranids get foot spear units? I don't recall seeing any in that unit tree. I'm going to need spears in my war against Swadia. Hmm..

Back
Top Bottom