Clan/Group Banner

Users who are viewing this thread

Just dropping in all to show our banner, it still needs a lot of work (As the person we had doing it decided not want to do it half way through).

vikingr60th.jpg

If it comes to it, might be nullified completely.

Tae me, it still looks a bit too modern, and I have no idea what I could to make it not so. I've look around at others, they're just so much better. Hah. So, any ideas would be very much appreciated.

In advance; Thank you for your time.

Think the problem you have there is that is far more of a (sort of) c13-c15 heraldic gryphon than something you would find circa c10-c11. I'm not particularly sure on the composition either.

Heraldry wasn't really a thing in the 10th-11th centuries. In Víkingr times heraldry was just getting started in continental Europe, and Ireland probably saw little or none of it until the Normans came. A griffin rampant is like the most heraldic thing ever, and therefore not very suitable, I would think. If I were you, I'd ditch the griffin and use just the Celtic knot, which is actually a pretty ancient symbol. The most obvious alternative would be a Celtic cross.

I know, that's why I was wanting to remove it, but it's all we have this moment in time. I'm trying to work on something by hand, but my drawing isn't the best and it'll take a fairly long time.
Shorty was wondering about something about a bird of some kind, a bit Viking-y, as there was a Viking sept of the Clan. But I really don't know. I'm just trying different Celtic things.

Edit: I've spent the past hour or so piecing together bits a pieces of Celtic images.
It's far from finished, but this is it so far. Just a rough. I don't really want to go over the top, so I might remove/replace bits and pieces.
donequ.jpg
When I research Cenél Fiachach or Higgins banners during this time, the only one that seems to constantly come up is the O'Neill hand.

The Red Hand of Ulster might be quite a nice choice actually, Higgins. The simpler the better, in my opinion. You have to remember that it is to appear on the field of battle above the heads of your men; something simple and quick to identify is best. The Hæringar banner works nicely in this regard; it's easily identifiable, same goes for Fyrninga and the Fir Araig.

Yes, I agree it would be a very nice and recognizable symbol. It also seems to be historically viable.
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/magazine/heraldry/tradition.htm said:
Unlike the military simplicity of the Normans or the conventional elaborations of the Anglo-Irish, the symbols used in the arms of Gaelic Irish families tend to relate to pre-Christian myths, often in quite obscure ways. Thus, for example, the Red Hand of the O'Neills, now also associated with the province of Ulster, in heraldic terms a dexter hand appaumé gules, also occurs in various forms in the arms of other Gaelic families. The reason would appear to lie in the name of the son of Bolg or Nuadu, the Celtic sun-god, in some accounts the divine ancestor of all the Celts. This son was known as Labraid Lamhdearg, or "Labraid of the Red Hand". The association with the ancestral power of the sun-god is clearly a very good reason for the choice of symbol.

Mhm. It does look pretty nice.
Also the Red Hand of the O'Neills is slightly different from that of Ulster. The O'Neill hand is the left hand, not right. :razz: Though some septs use either way.
I'll see what my clanmates think.

The%20red%20Hand.png

Something like that, perhaps?

That is a nice symbol. Another one you might consider is a bull. Stealing cattle was the way of war in Ireland before the vikings arrived. Mostly small warbands of youngsters stealing cattle. Doesn't sound interesting? Read on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donn_Cuailnge
Reason enough for Cú Chulainn to fight

Hengwulf said:
That is a nice symbol. Another one you might consider is a bull. Stealing cattle was the way of war in Ireland before the vikings arrived. Mostly small warbands of youngsters stealing cattle. Doesn't sound interesting? Read on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donn_Cuailnge
Reason enough for Cú Chulainn to fight

Interesting.
Though I think the hand would be more accurate, thanks for the nice read though. :wink:

~Higgins

Here you have Chasa's textures  :grin:

Banner
bolvark.jpg

Standard
banner1dq.jpg
banner2wk.jpg

Small shield
tarczamaa1.jpg
tarczamaa2.jpg

Medium shield
tarczarednia.jpg

Big shield
tarczadua.jpg

Link to download
https://hotfile.com/dl/223542022/3ca0a0b/Chasa_Yuloin_Textures.rar.html​

My clan is a new clan, and a growing one too, we're 7 members, and there comes more too, aaaaand.... Is it still possible to request banner? D:

Well, officially, yes, it's too late to request a banner. BUT, there might be community packs or whatever later on, and at any rate you could use the banners locally, even if no one else got to see them, and spice your thread up. Even if the banner is not in the game, that sort of thing gives character to a clan.

Sorry, there's no room left in the clan banner page (and no dev team to release any patches, I might add).

It would be pretty awesome if someone started a community banner pack project, though.

As I see it there'd have to be more than three new banner requests before it'd make sense to release something like that. We might be able to slip in the Einherjar/Shieldings banners again too. Actually the best thing would be if someone dedicated took it upon himself to remake all of the banners, to get rid of all the crappy ones and perhaps so that pubbers won't take the awesome clan banners. I know Eiríkr advocated such a thing a while back. Just like shield-textures (replacing existing ones, not adding new clan-shields unfortunately) and such, banners can be implemented client side, so this could be done without much hassle. The Fyrd of Devonshire and the Vestfold Hird banners could be replaced (only problem is if they have clan shields attached, then again, if the new clan has a shield it could easily take its place!), perhaps even along with one of the Russian Víkingar banners. Otherwise, I wonder if we can make another clan-banner page.

EDIT: Seems like the Fyrd of Devonshire and the Vestfold Hird both have clan-shields. The only problem is that any clan replacing them will have to be affiliated with the same factions, i.e. Engle for FoD and Norðmenn for the Vestfold Hird.

Back
Top Bottom