Beginner guide and others Guides/Strategy/gameplay

Users who are viewing this thread

Canaris said:
One really important advice :
If you are importing character from some other mod or native make sure to remove all of his cash .
It makes 10000 times more interesting game to start very poor :smile:

I actually never considered training up a character from another mod and porting it to BW, until now. I like your thinking :twisted:

I actually never considered training up a character from another mod and porting it to BW, until now. I like your thinking
I always do it :grin: I have my 37 lvl guy exported and im importing him to every new mod im trying :wink:
I like starting as a poor super human :grin:

I just have to say, this is the most feature rich and confusing mod I've ever played.  I suspect that is mostly because I havent played warband in a long time, and i never did get very far in native before i delved into mods, so i never quite learned the whole game from top to bottom.

Starting off in this mod, to me, is REALLY hard.  Random questions:

1. Ive read the guide, but damn, getting money at the start is either really hard (seemingly impossible), or takes a lot longer then i thought.  Apparently i need 26K to get a winery? How do i get that 26K to begin with? As so far ive ridden around killing bandits, doing odd jobs for guild masters.

2. Religion. So what does this effect? If a village is of the same religion i choose, how does this effect me? 

3. Bandits. Why is it that most bandit groups are: A.) 20 to 40 in number and B.) Seem to use bows exclusively?  Starting out, this is what makes things seemingly impossible. I really don't have the cash to hire anyone, i really dont even have the money to upgrade my equipment, and im being pelted by arrows.  I ended up having to cheat, give myself 4,000 shllings to buy shield and armor, and only THEN could i passably expect to kill bandits.  WIthout a good shield, combat is not survivable against bandits.  I can understand why couch lance damage was removed, and ive gotten really good at using a spear instead, but ...a shield... a shield... my kingdom for a shield!!!!!

4.) Misc features.  Wagon train? What's that all about?

In sum,  ive read some of the stickies various times, but i get the impression theres a level of knowledge that is expected to be there from the outset, so im feeling really lost and am not far from giving up and going back to native.

(PS. I prefer swiss cheese with my whine.  :lol: )

Start off in Ireland, that's what I do. Put up shield to 2 in the character creation thing so you start off with one. Then as soon as possible put up Prisoner Management so you can sell them tasty Scoti Raiders for a few hundred a pop. Also horses kind of suck in a big melee, but good otherwise. My preferred method of thinning big parties of bandits is getting a long spear, riding around them and stabbing them with the spear. The reach means they can't get you and the speed of the horse means they can't catch up to you. Then switch to a blunt weapon and start smacking them as they rout.
If you want to get back into the game, my advice is to put the difficulty settings on low and use cheats when you're in big trouble until you get the hang of it again.
Wagon train is for carrying loot. It's cool beans.

Dalkar said:
Start off in Ireland, that's what I do. Put up shield to 2 in the character creation thing so you start off with one.

AHHH!!!  I didn't know about the skill points dictating starting equipment. I always just put 1 point into shield to start.  Also the first post says to start in britian for better trade, but clearly the way i've been going about things, Ireland as you say is probably my better bet.  Trade interests little. The amount of territory in this mod is huge, the names all sound the same, so finding point A and point B (more like.. remembering where point B was), is a pain to me.  (maybe I have ADD  :lol: )  On that note, Keeping tabs on what faction is doing what makes my head hurt. There area lot of factions, and all of them are doing something.

As for factions, im guessing i should eventually align myself with whichever faction is predominately whatever religion I pick? 

Once you've got a winery going Ireland. Get a good group of heavy infantry together with a group of spies for skirmishing and get over to East Anglia. From then on start taking down Dena raiders. You can loot plenty of useful kit from them. It also helps with your renown as these are a tough fight.     

In combat I usually start off by hurling a few spears/javelins at the enemy. If nothing else it will help weaken their shield a bit before the initial clash. If it is open field battle I tend to go with a shield/spear/axe set up. If there isn't a whole heap of men fighting each other I tend to use my spear first. If an opponent charges at me with his shield raised I give him a good kick followed by a spear thrust. Of course if it starts to get a bit crowded I switch over to my axe. Spears and two handed weapons don't work as well when you have people all around you. At least it doesn't work well for me.

Siege defense/assault I like to go with a shield/spear/sword/axe setup. Javelins and such take up needed space and are near useless during sieges, in my opinion anyway. I like to use my spear/sword for thrusting attacks depending on how many people are crowded around the breach. If need be I switch over to my axe for the obvious reasons of taking away an opponents shield. I actually prefer one handed axes over their larger, more dangerous 2H counterparts.

If I ever do fight on horseback it is usually with a shield and spear. Using one handed weapons while mounted just brings up sorts of problems. Nothing sucks worse than having your horse cut down from beneath and you end up swarmed by enemies. I'm sure others have better strategies than I but I like to have my own play style even if it turns out others are easier.

Semper_Ducimus said:
I just have to say, this is the most feature rich and confusing mod I've ever played.  I suspect that is mostly because I havent played warband in a long time, and i never did get very far in native before i delved into mods, so i never quite learned the whole game from top to bottom.

Starting off in this mod, to me, is REALLY hard.  Random questions:

1. Ive read the guide, but damn, getting money at the start is either really hard (seemingly impossible), or takes a lot longer then i thought.  Apparently i need 26K to get a winery? How do i get that 26K to begin with? As so far ive ridden around killing bandits, doing odd jobs for guild masters.

2. Religion. So what does this effect? If a village is of the same religion i choose, how does this effect me? 

3. Bandits. Why is it that most bandit groups are: A.) 20 to 40 in number and B.) Seem to use bows exclusively?  Starting out, this is what makes things seemingly impossible. I really don't have the cash to hire anyone, i really dont even have the money to upgrade my equipment, and im being pelted by arrows.  I ended up having to cheat, give myself 4,000 shllings to buy shield and armor, and only THEN could i passably expect to kill bandits.  WIthout a good shield, combat is not survivable against bandits.  I can understand why couch lance damage was removed, and ive gotten really good at using a spear instead, but ...a shield... a shield... my kingdom for a shield!!!!!

In sum,  ive read some of the stickies various times, but i get the impression theres a level of knowledge that is expected to be there from the outset, so im feeling really lost and am not far from giving up and going back to native.

(PS. I prefer swiss cheese with my whine.  :lol: )

don't give up! i think you may be right. i've been reading a lot of posts recently and lots of newer players are having trouble. i'm gonna start linking other posts that take a different view. this mod does add more challenges. trade is huge money if you figure it out, but requires a LOT of traveling. raiding is even more money. get a ship and raid pic coast cities on the ireland side of britian. also note your honor will take a huge hit in the beginning. i found releasing captives as a good way to soften the blow despite needing the money.

1. yes it does take some time.
2. most town/villages/factions are Christian. same religion, they like you. different, they don't.
3. if you start using a bow, you can kill looters/theows by having them chase you and shooting them close rang as they follow you in a bunch. easy money/gear.
4. wagon allows you to move more items to sell. and make more money.

Start by killing theows - they are the native looters ( you can also kill Clergy/pagan priests but you will lose honour and it will make some factions angry )
Anything beyond that ( Scotos, Franks, Dena pirates, bandits, deserters etc ) is out of your reach for the first ~30 ingame days .
Killing Theows will get you money , renown and equipment to get yourself started.
Start by buying shield, horse and lance ( saxon long spear for example )  - in that order !
Nice armour is fine but lance and horse will let you engage Franks and Bandits and they have some great loot and theirs prisoners are high valued ( i've once killed 28 Franks all by myself without even getting hit once thanks to a long spear, horse and shield :razz: )
Town quests differ a lot - deliver Ale/Herd quest is nice but ransom daughter/deal with troublesome bandits can be nigh-impossible without a horse .
Skip village quests - they are not for the cash making.
Bounties from the tavern keepers also sucks - 300 schillingas for hard task of killing guys in mail shirts with swords, long spears and shields is waaaay too small sum of money ( not to mention relation loss with village )

Rather pointless feature in early-mid game :razz:.

Canaris said:
Killing Theows will get you money , renown and equipment to get yourself started.
Start by buying shield, horse and lance ( saxon long spear for example )  - in that order !
Nice armour is fine but lance and horse will let you engage Franks and Bandits and they have some great loot and theirs prisoners are high valued ( i've once killed 28 Franks all by myself without even getting hit once thanks to a long spear, horse and shield :razz: )
Town quests differ a lot - deliver Ale/Herd quest is nice but ransom daughter/deal with troublesome bandits can be nigh-impossible without a horse .
Skip village quests - they are not for the cash making.
Bounties from the tavern keepers also sucks - 300 schillingas for hard task of killing guys in mail shirts with swords, long spears and shields is waaaay too small sum of money ( not to mention relation loss with village )

I would add: if there are survivors among wounded franks who are willing to serve you (you can talk with them while they are prisoners) recruit them. When you have about a dozen, go to Salina and keep them there for future use :smile: When I joined a faction, I just went to Salinae and took out my 40 franks for an epic win in the next battle :smile:

Village quests: some are really hard, for example when you have to bring cattle when 1 cattle costs more then the whole amount of money you will get back.

Whenever possible, win tournaments of course, a win is good money, renown and nice items (like wolf lorica, horses and principe swords)

when circling the frank/dena pirates, let them use all their throwing weapons first. early on the throwing axes will take you or your horse out quick. also it takes a lot of practice, especially if you have crap gear. those shields block very well. on a test with a lvl 29 character i was taken out a few times before i won against a small group of 8. franks are easier than dena pirates. all dena pirates have heavy armor, not all franks have heavy armor. tbh, i would fight in ireland long before i fought franks/dena pirates. (noted under early tactics).

blackitalian said:
on a test with a lvl 29 character i was taken out a few times before i won against a small group of 8.

:shock: Ok, but this is not the average.
With a horse, a shield and either a spear or a longsword (nothing else, the basic tunic is enough) it is not hard to solo pirates/franks in groups of 10-15. I never finish with full HP, but it is not that hard.

Hello all, first time poster here! Bought warbands at the recent steam sales and couldn't get into native, however I've been loving Brytenwalda! I noticed people are saying use a spear (while mounted) to kill troops, however if those troops have shield I find it impossible to actually hurt them. I end up having to take out my axe and get real close (so they lower their shield and try to attack me) and strike them.

How do you use a spear vs a shield bearing troop?

Thanks!

Wazzagit said:

Charge towards them spear at the ready (longer spear is best). When they will start to swing, lunge or stab you, stick them in the face with the pointy end of the spear while simultaneously wheeling the horse away from them. This just takes practice to perfect and is very effective.     

Havokblak said:
Wazzagit said:

Charge towards them spear at the ready (longer spear is best). When they will start to swing, lunge or stab you, stick them in the face with the pointy end of the spear while simultaneously wheeling the horse away from them. This just takes practice to perfect and is very effective.   

Spear + Enemy Head + Gore Turned On = Epic

@ pundragon: lmao

@wazzagit: practice on non-shield bearing troops (theows). rather than run them down, use the lunge and turn-away method. requires a LOT of patience when dealing with shield bearing troops. first you have to get one to break away from the pack, then he has to try and hit you. if you come at him straight he won't lower his shield. come at an angle and he will try and get you on the pass.

@all: has anyone broken a shield with a spear from horse back? i have with a sword, after a couple of passes, some times on the first pass if its a crap shield.

Having a long weapon while mounted is practically required if you are soloing. It is best to take out enemies who do not have a shield and have shorter weapons like hand axes, etc. Kill enough of the weaker ones and the stronger ones start to turn tail and run. Easy pickings then. Only you better put aside some time fighting this way. It's not going to be short fight.

i start with a bow and kill low lvls. theows will follow you on horse, then all you have to do is circle and shoot them from point blank distance. i keep them trailing me. i was always good at killing shield opponents with a sword from horse back. also, swords can break shields. with speed, skill, and some power strike you can shatter shields as they separate from the pack. takes a few passes though.

@blackitalian:

What will happen if horse will be given only to Lesser Noble Occupation option and one other option?

Will it be possible for starting players to survive early gameplay or will some drastic game changes needed to be done?

Has anyone neglected a horse at the game beginning and survive?

Back
Top Bottom