SOD Warlords - Ponavosa World Map Sample!|Current Map Version 3.7

Do you like the New map for the SOD port to Warband?

• Yes, I like the New Map!

Votes: 98 56.6%
  • Yes, but the Map is either too big or too small; and is shaped like a grilled chicken patty!

Votes: 36 20.8%
  • No, I like Warbands Version of Calradia better.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • No, I like SODs V4.6+ Version of Calradia better.

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • No, I want the map to look like the Mainland in the Royal Artifacts Screen.

Votes: 23 13.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Welcome to the world of Ponavosa!
(Pon-na-vo-sa)

ponavosamap37.jpg

Naming of places is finished, I'm accepting modified siege scenes that you may have edited.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've opened up an open Beta Test for version 2.3 of the SOD Warlords Map:
http://www.filefront.com/17856848/Damocles_2.3_Map.rar/

Map is for use with any Warband Module that uses the Native Parties.txt file setup. the current and most updated map (V3.4) is for the SOD to Warband Release. Let me know how well the map plays out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Everyone! This is a map I've been working on while I've been waiting for the SOD V5 update to come out. This map is for the SOD V5 port to Warband Check the pics:

Map Version 2.3 Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYrqWlMNOI

Map Version 1.7
mb1gv.jpg

mb2jl.jpg

mb3m.jpg

mb4i.jpg

Map Version 1.7
mb5k.jpg

mb6h.jpg

mb7h.jpg

mb8v.jpg

Map Version 1.7
mb9wz.jpg

mb10g.jpg

mb11g.jpg

mb12i.jpg

Map Version 1.7
mb13q.jpg

mb14v.jpg

mb15a.jpg

mb16ma.jpg

Overview of Map Version 1.7 (from Editor):

Overview of Map Version 2.0 (from Editor):
damocles20.jpg

Overview of Map Version 3.0 (from Editor):
damocles30.jpg
Overview of Map Version 3.3 (from Editor):
damocles33.jpg

Size Comparison of Warband's Stock Map (and Grilled Chicken):
damoclescompare.png

chicken3.jpg

Details:
-The Map uses exactly 80,000 faces spread across the entire map. That's almost twice the number of faces in Warband's Calradia (41,387 face).
-The map features an Arctic Region, mountains, a large natural Canyon area, Large Steppe area, plains, deserts, lots of different land formations (such as cliffs), and many interesting and unique places to travel.
-The Map itself is fictional
-Made from scratch.
-Took 57hrs to get map at it's current state as you see in the pictures.
-Used 3ds Max 2009 and a height map to make the starting Mesh.
-Used Thorgim's Map Editor do ALL of the Editing and detailing for the map.
-The Select tool sucks in Thorgims Map Editor when Selecting Villages! The "Z" key comes in handy though.
-More than 3 times of traveling space than Warbands Calradia.
-Map Mesh boundaries are almost the same size as Warbands Mesh; slightly bigger in some areas though.
-You can't see clouds or sky when you scroll to the edge of the map.
-It takes 7-14 days to travel from one end of the map to the other.
-FPS speeds are excellent, actually way more stable than the map I made for "SOD Warband Alpha 7."
-The battle map generator makes nice hilly maps. I haven't fought a battle (yet) with ridiculously huge hills.
-----------------------------------------​
Please post any comments and post and judge the map. At the moment I'm not trying to release the "Map.txt" or the maps Mesh to the public just yet. The map is currently at version 1.7 (and stable!) I'll probably post a log later. I'm still detailing a few specific areas of the map. In the desert area I might add some lakes or another skinny river. At first I was deciding to make 2 different landmasses as you seen before SOD Warband Alpha 7, but I came to realize how bad the fun is during sea battles (100+ troops). I also noticed that there would be too much work involved to create new scenes just make sea battles less repetitive. Two different landmasses were cool but boring because just about every mod out there uses the same maps across every mod. So I set out to do something bigger and better for once. I felt that the SOD world should have it's own continent. Now this probably could change the games story a bit but what story really is there to begin with? So instead of Wrapping the SOD World around the old map we know as Calradia. Let's enjoy a new one, a map like no other.
-----------------------------------------​
To-do:
-Tweak a few areas in the desert. Updated 2.0
-Add or sprinkle the "desert_forest" material in the desert area.
-The map needs a name (I think I'll consult MorrisB about the name...) Map name is Ponavosa!
-The map itself is actually finished, it can always be tweaked.
-I might add another long but skinny river to the map. Updated 2.0
-I might need to optimize the map for slower PCs.
-Added Taleworlds style slopped Mountains. Updated 3.0
-Smoothed out shores, mountains, and anything else that's blocky. Updated 3.4
-Smooth out the Rivers and made sure the lakes all use the river material instead of the ocean one. Updated 3.6

manekemaan said:
looks very nice, reminds me of the great landscapes of pop. Do use this pls :grin:

Thanks Manekemaan! I'm glad you like it. I think I'll make a small video trailer to give more of an idea of how the map looks in game. I also want to make a tutorial on how to make maps.

If I can't run the map on a netbook, it really cuts down on my playing time, so I would appreciate a version optimized for pipsqueak processors and integrated video. 

I like that there are chokepoints.  Hopefully there are ways that those chokepoints can be used to filter out bandits and deserters.  It would be nice if there were fortresses that gated regions, but I am willing to park large units next to fortresses to accomplish this effect without adding functionality to the keeps.  Setting things up so that there are reasons to besiege forts would be nice.  Setting things up so that forts reduce bandit and deserter activity would also be nice. 

Daedelus_McGee said:
If I can't run the map on a netbook, it really cuts down on my playing time, so I would appreciate a version optimized for pipsqueak processors and integrated video. 

I like that there are chokepoints.  Hopefully there are ways that those chokepoints can be used to filter out bandits and deserters.  It would be nice if there were fortresses that gated regions, but I am willing to park large units next to fortresses to accomplish this effect without adding functionality to the keeps.  Setting things up so that there are reasons to besiege forts would be nice.  Setting things up so that forts reduce bandit and deserter activity would also be nice.

To be honest with you, the map runs extremely well on the Warband engine. I use a Laptop too; it's speces are a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.67 Ghz CPU, 4gb Ram, and my GPU is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670. I used all the high settings with map and got an average of 57 FPS I'm pretty confident It should work well on just about any computer. I actually was surprised about the speeds I was getting.

Question !

Sorry if I sound stupid, but is this supposed to be an alternative version of Calradia, OR is this the "home continent" of the SOD nations ?

MorrisB said:
Question !

Sorry if I sound stupid, but is this supposed to be an alternative version of Calradia, OR is this the "home continent" of the SOD nations ?

I'd want it to be an alternate of Calradia. It'd be nice if we could give it a new name. I'm gonna PM you.

EDIT:
I'd also like to know everyone's thoughts about the SOD Warlords mod to take place after the Invasion. I want SOD Warlords to be very unique for Warband.

trueten said:
Although I never played it on M&B, I've heard a lot about this mod.
Good to see it alive. Ceep up the fantastic work.

Thanks Trueten, I'm planning on adding a few more features to the map like a big lake and 1 to 2 more mountainous  areas to map.

I'm also making huge progress with the port. I figured out that I can't port the source code in small chunks, most of it I have to do it all at once.

Erm, I noticed in Native, when you enter the battle say in mountains, the landscape during battle usually is not mountains, but plains. And the same things in some seemed to be plain landscape on the map, but in battle there are mountains.
I've heard some people stated although the map in Warband is changed, the landscapes remain the same from M&B. For example: the rhodok territories - in M&B there mostly no mountains, while in Warband's map there's a lot of them.

Do have such things (if you got the idea what I'm talking about) or you managed to fixed that?

Awesome! You know, it's been about 3 months since I've played warband for more than an hour and I still check this forum everyday as one of my daily update checks, can't wait for the warband version! I'd play the Mount&Blade not warband version but I can't get past the different troop type limit. Especially with a mod that adds lots of troops.
Great work man!

Now is the best time to get your name of the village, town or castle on the map! Check the first post.

The Names have to be unique and sound like a noun (person, place, or thing)!

@richguy421: Thanks!

Is this map the continent of old SOD story? The other kingdoms(incluidng Claradia territory) dominated by the Legion?!

Winterz said:
Is this map the continent of old SOD story? The other kingdoms(incluidng Claradia territory) dominated by the Legion?!

Warlords takes place 2 generations after the Invasion. It's year is 1301. Expect a new faction After the test build is released. Details on the story will come later. For now I need names. The Random Name generators won't cut the cake.  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom