Improved Smoke Effects Patch for M&M Russia (Edit: FIXED! Compatible w/russia3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hibiki

Sergeant Knight at Arms
[Update] - The light version has been released, and I am reworking the medium version.

This is an improved, light/medium smoke effect for Mount&Musket: Russia. It is slightly lighter than, and much improved upon my original included in the first and second versions of Russia.

For now, this is a standalone patch, but if the developers wish to replace my older effects with these, I'll gladly send the python script. Until then, you can download the new effects here:
(Light Effect) http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2503

Improvements:
- Musket and cannon smoke blows away with the wind.
- Musket smoke is slightly lighter; a thick volley will still obscure visibility, but firing by files and ranks is more practical.
- Musket and cannon smoke is whiter, and disperses more realistically.

IMO we should only have one kind of smoke just to keep things fair, even though smoke can be disabled (Not sure if they “fixed” it with the Russia patch).

I'll try it out later today.  :razz:

Lackay said:
I think all the russians should have vodka some where on them, maybe instead of backpacks, just cases of vodka bottles, empty of course

The broken bottle says Vodka, is that not enough for you? :razz:

Awesome work, Argus, but the smoke is a little too thin. Maybe you could make a heavy pack with the improved smoke, but a little bit denser (so you can see through it)? This seems to be really, really light.

You should still be able to see through it. A single musket firing did not create a super dense smoke screen. The current smoke effect is actually not unrealistically thin - it is about the same amount of smoke that would be yielded by a Civil-War era rifled musket. Smoothbore muskets used a little more gunpowder, so it is a little light in that regard, but I prefer to error on the side of "too light" than "too heavy." I will be working on a heavier version, however.

On the subject of "fairness," I believe a light smoke pack is better than none, because it encourages the vast amount of people who normally turn particle effects off altogether to at least use something.

Smoke isint a big deal for me, if im in a building camping like a nub, then ill turn off particle effects to see. But by the time ur done reloading, you can see again. So it wouldnt be much of an effect. Plus, itd be kinda cool to have that fear of knowing cavalry might charge through the smoke and bash you. i get adrenaline from that, with a finger on X lol :grin:

gotta say, as much as this smoke thing improves my LOS (Line of Sight), It doesnt feel as awesome as the old smoke... I want the old with visibility... Is there a way that we can just make the old smoke just blow away really fast?

>Spearings

That's probably what my heavy version will look like. It's a tad difficult to have it thin and long lasting, merely because it quickly disappears. However, if I make the effect too long, then it doesn't "shoot out" the barrel quickly.

I'm hoping that by the time I have the heavy, medium, and light versions, there will be something for everyone.

Thank you very much for this. The old "muskety goodness" does not work anymore and the standard-smoke is simply too thick.

New version works lovely and looks much better.

I've added a lighter effect here: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2503

The term "light" might be misleading, as it is currently larger than my "medium" version (which is being reworked), but thinner and disperses more quickly. It also erupts from the barrel more quickly, is effected by wind slightly more, and fans out more realistically. Overall, I find it looks much more elegant and, aside from being somewhat thin and short, more realistic.

Shorter effects are far easier to make look good. I'm still not happy with my medium, much less heavy versions, so I'm reworking those still.

Hibiki said:
On the subject of "fairness," I believe a light smoke pack is better than none, because it encourages the vast amount of people who normally turn particle effects off altogether to at least use something.

Guilty as charged.

All I gotta say is good work! I cant wait to see your heavy version. My only suggestion is that you make it basically the same as the real ingame smoke, but make it Dissipate quicker, and if not, make it blow away.

I know some of this might be a wee bit hard but I think you can do it :grin:

how would having lioght smoke be unfair? for one you can already turn smoke off completely (Mine is always off due to a crap comp).

Very good work and does not lag the computer.Cant wait to see the improved versions :smile:

Keep working on them hibiki  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom