Help! With PC construction plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cleitan

Recruit
I seek help from someone who has experience with PC construction to help me plan and construct my next PC.

I ask that someone who has built 2 or more working, PCs to please contact me via Email, PM, AIM or any other way to do so.

I am getting ready to make my next gen PC, currently I have a three year old

Celeron 1.8ghz
714MB DDR RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB (PCI)
40Gig slow HD
56x Cd drive that works sometimes

The purpose of the new PC will be mainly for gaming and more specifically for Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion level games. So it must be beyond top of the line and must be capable of lasting me many years.

The Price for companents of course cannot be evaluated as of yet as TES4 is going to be released this winter and by then prices on current pieces will have dropped significantly and that is when I plan to do the buying.

I need suggestions for Ram amounts, Processor Speeds also if PCI-X and 64bit is worth the extra money.

And no, Im not looking to hire one of you guys :razz:

Off the top of my head, go for a Radeon 9600 or better (I think they said Oblivion would run fine on a 9600). RAM you could prolly just stick your 714mb in, you can always get more if you need it. CPU I woudn't go too hog-wild, most of the bottleneck will probably be in the graphics. I'm on an Athalon 64 2.5ghz (I think) and I feel pretty comfortable that it'll run Oblivion.

I would advise you don't go Celeron (because although they're cheaper, they're pants) but couldn't comment on 64bit.

I currently have a Radeon 9800 PRO which is pretty nifty even though I've had a lot of driver problems, and a gig of RAM to go with my Athlon 3200+. I would advise something similar for you.

keep this:
714MB DDR RAM

buy this if not so much money:
3.0 or 3.2 ghz pentium (or a equal amd)
nvidia 6600gt (best price-performance)
160 gb hdd (ill bet you are going to buy/download some big sh*t)
a good motherboard ( i suggest a asus)
dvd-burner
dvd-rom player (so you dont have to use burner always)
a soundcard (creative)
(this can run the newest games, but this is not the best to get)

buy this if you have to much money:
3.8 ghz pentium (or a equal amd)
nvidia 6800 ultra
2*74 gigabyte raptor (10000rpm) (raid)
2*250 gigabyte maxtor (7200rpm) (raid)
dvd-burner
asus-motherboard
best soundcard of creative: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
speakers: creative Inspire T7900 (7.1 surround)

Heh, my computer is about 8 years old now, it's a 700Mhz Celeron Compaq junker. I seriously considered buying a muffler for the power supply for a bit. Upgraded the RAM, so now it ahs 256 megs of the stuff(Woohoo! Beats the hell out of 64 megs)! The only decent part I have in the machine is GeForce 4 card, and I'm not even sure what the numbers on it are...

So... when you build a new machine... can you send me your old one? Please. :grin:

haha I got an older pc aswell, but it still works great:
AMD Athlon 1000
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (128MB)

It used to have a Geforce 2 and 128MB RAM.
I can't upgrade it anymore then this I think :smile:

I can't play new games very well, but Mount&Blade keeps me from having to buy a new computer (don't upgrade graphics too much please :razz:).
This comp handled the Everquest2 trial amazingly well, it just didn't like magic very much.

I should get a new comp too, I've been saying I would buy one for over two years now. If there is a Mount&Blade game in MMORPG style (realistic medieval) I wouldn't hesitate very long to go and buy a new computer for it.

If I buy a new computer today I would go for an Athlon64 with an ATI Radeon videocard.

Now remembner the main purpose is for TES 4 oblivion which would require an X-Box 360 level of performance. Your feedback is valued by me, Im probobly going to most likely choose a powerful intel/ Nviudia combination.

What I need now is specific product information, to ensure the combination actually works, mobo needs PCi-x or AGP and able to work with whatever processor. Also I know NOTHING about sound cards but I do know it makes le difference big time.

Right now with my Celery processor that is my main bottleneck, that my sound card and PCi slot... haha the whole thing is a freakin bottleneck.

BTW, about your comment on EQ2 magic disagreeing with your PC, this would most certainly and definitely be mostly processor related as I have said before I have a slow Celeron processor which shows through by dieng in scenes of High particle effects and also other CPU intensive processes such as AI and other complex calculations as a Celeron processor lacks a seperate arithmatic module as a normal intel would have.

Anymore suggestions/thoughts yuou guys might have is welcome!

I was actually considering a new PC also, so this thread is most helpful. A question tho, do you guys know of any sites that build PC's for you and send them to your door? Like Alien ware, but ones that won't make me pawn my grandmother for cash. So you know, less expensive.

pavlov said:
I was actually considering a new PC also, so this thread is most helpful. A question tho, do you guys know of any sites that build PC's for you and send them to your door? Like Alien ware, but ones that won't make me pawn my grandmother for cash. So you know, less expensive.

Depends on the country you live in?

PCi Express really does bring the price up alot..... Is it really worth so much?

*BASE_PRICE: [+555]
CAS: HOT NEW! Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Black Case w/Black Face)
CD: SONY 52X CD-ROM [+15] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
CASUPGRADE: 12" COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (BLUE COLOR)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 540 CPU w/HT Technology 3.2GHZ 800FSB 1MB Cache [+40]
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: None
FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
HDD: Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache -- Recommended [+40]
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BLACK COLOR [+3])
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (BLACK COLOR)
MSGAME1: NONE
MSGAME2: NONE
MSGAME3: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5GD1 I915P Chipset Sckt775 DDR400 PCI-E w/Audio, LAN, & USB2 [+15]
MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [+90] (Corsair Value RAM)
MONITOR: NONE
MODEM: NONE [-7]
MP3PLAYER: NONE
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
RAID: NONE
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SCANNER: NONE
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
SPEAKERS: NONE [-5]
SOFT1: NONE
SOFT2: NONE
TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
UPS: None
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
USB_PENDRIVE: NONE
VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6800 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD--Powered by Leadtek [+273]
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis [+19]
WIRELESSPOINT: NONE
WIRELESSCARD: NONE
ZIP: NONE

$1,048.00

dadarkman said:
pavlov said:

Depends on the country you live in?

The states. VA.

ok, looked at the link you gave Nair,

System Summary
CASE : X-BLADE II Mid-Tower 450W Watt w/ Side-Panel Window (BLACK COLOR)
CPU : (939-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 3800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology ~ CAJ602
MOTHERBOARD : (939-pin Socket) ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800 MAINBOARD WITH LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value RAM)
HARD DRIVE : 160GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE -- Recommended
Hard Drive 2 : NONE
VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GT 256MB AGP8X w/TVO
Optical Drive : NONE
Optical Drive 2 : SONY 52X CD-ROM (BLACK COLOR)
MONITOR & LCD : NONE
SOUND : NEW!!! Creative Labs SB AUDIGY 2 VALUE 7.1

Is it a go, or should I change something?

Do you already have a DVD-Rom drive? If you don't you should probably get one instead of a CD-Rom now that games are starting to come out on them (I think Silent Hunter III was even exclusively DVD).

I have one that I can take out in this PC, altho now that I think about it it sounds like a ***** to do. So I guess I'll get the DVD rom. With one, I'm not going to need a CD-ROM at all... right?

Back
Top Bottom