Family - offsprings

Users who are viewing this thread

Ailil

Recruit
First: I am NOT asking for any sexual topics to be included in game.

I would like to have some children with my husband in game. If someone would come now with "but if you are pregnant, you wouldn't be able to fight", you could make something like a dialogue saying that "1 year have past" and you just get an offspring after asking your husband for and that these children are adults then after short time is also not a big issue to me. Also males could get the options to get own children, I bet there are also males who like the idea and not the crazy female me :wink: .

I would really love to see own daughters and sons, which are then also vassals in own kingdom.

Or you let just pass 15 years. In medieval you was already adult with 12. So nothing wrong with sending your son/daughter into war with that age :razz:

Grimmend said:
Winterwolf00 said:
IF we can figure out a way to implement the time change then I think alot of people would like to see this.
One way would be to used the retire button to allow you to progress to the next generation.
That might work,so in that time, you turn your attention solely to administration and raising your kid? I'd like to be king and have people bring their grievances to me, and I'd say to my son *pay attention son this will be job one day*

If you are able to have a family, than maybe also implement death. Once/If your character dies, you can choose from his children to play as and avenge the father's/mother's death.

What is this?  Harvest Moon?

More seriously, I would at least  like to see a few younger Lords appear as they come of age for various kingdoms.  It would be a useful counter to the kind of mass defections that can screw a side over, and would be a good hint as to why Calradia fell apart in the first place (too many nobles, not enough land, the families and tribes couldn't agree how to split what was available, boom, internecine war).

The most obvious issue you run into though is the companions.  They aren't immortal and there's no mechanism in place to replace them or spawn new ones.  If there were, I couldn't see a problem with at least a "Mount And Blade: Generations" mod. 

I've been thinking about kids in the game too, what about taking a kid with your wife, that comes of age (16) in say 20 - 25 days. After coming of age he will stay in your residence with your wife, but you can order him to enter as a "companion" in your party to get him some experience, and then after 20 days after coming of age you can make him a vassal, (It would be a bit unrealistic to make a barely 16 Yo a vassal with huge responsibilities) or just let him remain in your party.

Pjotrovic said:
I've been thinking about kids in the game too, what about taking a kid with your wife, that comes of age (16) in say 20 - 25 days. After coming of age he will stay in your residence with your wife, but you can order him to enter as a "companion" in your party to get him some experience, and then after 20 days after coming of age you can make him a vassal, (It would be a bit unrealistic to make a barely 16 Yo a vassal with huge responsibilities) or just let him remain in your party.
good idea but 20-25 it should be like 45-50 a little longer

Pjotrovic said:
It would be a bit unrealistic to make a barely 16 Yo a vassal with huge responsibilities)
No, it wouldn't. In history there were a lot of young knights, like for example Edward "The black prince" Woodstock. He was 16 years old when he commanded part of English army in battle of Crecy in 100 years war between England and France. :wink:

I think children would require the game to work on a time scale it just isn't designed for. Having a short pregnancy or childhood would seem to me to clash with being in the same game where going from one town to another can take almost a day. Just having the game skip ahead to the child's birth would cause a lot of problems. A lot could happen in a year, territory will change hands, politics will change, kings would want something from their vassals, and your character wouldn't be there for any of that. Plus, what would your army do during that time, take a paid vacation? Not to mention after 757 days your character can start losing stats, and a child would take a big chunk of that time.

I can think of a few practical ways children can be implemented, but none with much depth. If your character is male, you could impregnate your wife, after which you would get a relation bonus with certain lords for being a family man. If your game somehow goes on for 9 months after that and you still haven't lead your faction to conquering all of Calradia, the child would be born but that would have no other effect than your wife holding a baby when you visit her. Other than having an effect on your score when you retire, it shouldn't do much. You're simply too busy with war stuff to be a good, attentive father, you jerk. I think there's just no good way to handle female players getting pregnant. I would say that after you've been pregnant for a while you would no longer be able to participate in combat, but that would mean you would spend a lot of time not being able to fight. You could get around that by being able to appoint a companion as commander and controlling them in combat instead of your own character, a feature I'd like to see regardless of children being in the game, but still you would be doing that for a long time. And of course you could avoid all this by making children be born and grow up really quickly, but that wouldn't match with the tone of the rest of the game. Even if pregnancy was shortened to something that was still a reasonable amount of time, like two months, it wouldn't do much for my suspension of disbelief. I just don't think it would work in a game where time is thought of in days instead of months. I also thought of the ability to adopt an older child, maybe from a lord who has a very high relation with you, but that wouldn't be different enough from recruiting a companion.

Like imgran though, I would like to see children for NPCs. Not just random ones with no background to fill the numbers, but children of already existing characters. It would be cool for them to come of age after a while, then they become vassals of the same faction as their fathers, carrying the same banner and having the same name with a "II" after it. If you have a good relation with one of their parents they'll mention how their father or mother speaks highly of you and start with a high relation with you. They would be highly influenced by their father, they would be inclined to try to stick close to him, vote for the same person as marshal or recipient of a fief, join him if he defects to another faction, and so on. Or maybe they could be rebellious teens and always do the opposite.

I like where this is going.
To me i like this more because i could actually end up replacing the king of an already made faction (Swadians) by marrying the daughter or chose to be his prince from the beginning.
Just some other options when you put age in.

corrupted said:
I think children would require the game to work on a time scale it just isn't designed for. Having a short pregnancy or childhood would seem to me to clash with being in the same game where going from one town to another can take almost a day. Just having the game skip ahead to the child's birth would cause a lot of problems. A lot could happen in a year, territory will change hands, politics will change, kings would want something from their vassals, and your character wouldn't be there for any of that. Plus, what would your army do during that time, take a paid vacation? Not to mention after 757 days your character can start losing stats, and a child would take a big chunk of that time.

I can think of a few practical ways children can be implemented, but none with much depth. If your character is male, you could impregnate your wife, after which you would get a relation bonus with certain lords for being a family man. If your game somehow goes on for 9 months after that and you still haven't lead your faction to conquering all of Calradia, the child would be born but that would have no other effect than your wife holding a baby when you visit her. Other than having an effect on your score when you retire, it shouldn't do much. You're simply too busy with war stuff to be a good, attentive father, you jerk. I think there's just no good way to handle female players getting pregnant. I would say that after you've been pregnant for a while you would no longer be able to participate in combat, but that would mean you would spend a lot of time not being able to fight. You could get around that by being able to appoint a companion as commander and controlling them in combat instead of your own character, a feature I'd like to see regardless of children being in the game, but still you would be doing that for a long time. And of course you could avoid all this by making children be born and grow up really quickly, but that wouldn't match with the tone of the rest of the game. Even if pregnancy was shortened to something that was still a reasonable amount of time, like two months, it wouldn't do much for my suspension of disbelief. I just don't think it would work in a game where time is thought of in days instead of months. I also thought of the ability to adopt an older child, maybe from a lord who has a very high relation with you, but that wouldn't be different enough from recruiting a companion.

Like imgran though, I would like to see children for NPCs. Not just random ones with no background to fill the numbers, but children of already existing characters. It would be cool for them to come of age after a while, then they become vassals of the same faction as their fathers, carrying the same banner and having the same name with a "II" after it. If you have a good relation with one of their parents they'll mention how their father or mother speaks highly of you and start with a high relation with you. They would be highly influenced by their father, they would be inclined to try to stick close to him, vote for the same person as marshal or recipient of a fief, join him if he defects to another faction, and so on. Or maybe they could be rebellious teens and always do the opposite.

Good morrow to you all, Lords and Ladies, I've been reading this forum and would like to thank you for all your hard work and ideas,
I would be absolutely thrilled to implement childbearing into the game, along the lines of what i quoted herin seems more realistic, and i'd prefer a modified version of this myself, however i would, like so many others, wish to raise, train, and eventually deal war alongside my heir. I am a very avid reenactor and would very much like to help in this area. please email me if i can help. i would leave more details but alas I mus retreat to my desk as it is time for me to return to my labors.

Fare thee well.

this whole having children topic i feel comes about because people want to have control over what happens to the kingdom they worked so hard to make (unless you use cheats)

i like the idea of retireing then becoming the character you made to represent you heir ingame, maybe its just an option after you have formed a kingdom or not, that when you retire you can chose to create a new character.

additionally to this i would find it interesting to be able to adopt other nobles into your family, offer them patronage, so in essence they would act as your heir this would remove the whole time dosn't go that fast element people keep complaining about. seccession was definatly a worry for the medieval monarchs and should be depicted.

MasterCaruyn said:
If you are able to have a family, than maybe also implement death. Once/If your character dies, you can choose from his children to play as and avenge the father's/mother's death.

This is great idea maybe aging system with death aslo.

ianopolos said:
MasterCaruyn said:

This is great idea maybe aging system with death aslo.
Ok, but no situation, where you turn from 20 y/o to 50 y/o in 5 in-game years....
Because I can't see a situation, where someone will play for 30 in-game years and not capture everything, unless he holds himself.
What would you do about it?

half of the concept is, things have changed, you don't need to play through the whole life of character 1, you can get to a point where you tire of playing with them.

then when you decide to retire character 1, you can continue to play as character 1's heir character 2. filling in the story for example they lost the lands given to them, their peasants rebelled and returned to their original king.

Back
Top Bottom