Quest Suggestions - Europe 1200 Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Oh, some very cool stuff there! I particularly like the tavern quest ideas, btw.
Anyway, concerning the Bulgarian unia with Rome quest, you can find a bit more info in the "Old Europe 1200 v2.3 Bulgarian Research" file in my BG research. When you eventually get to making that quest, we can further fine-tune the details (just don't forget to give me a PM). :wink:

Captain (katepano) of the Varangian Guard:
You get the quest:
1)from the Emperor to go and seek his guards to recruit (promised by the northern people in some way his allies) that are late to arrive while he is worrying about the eminent crusade or a possible rebellion.
Or
2) By  a claimant that managed to convince (or is trying to convince by providing false documentation) the northern lords that he is the Emperor and is sending you to bring them to him as fast as possible .
3) You should be able to recruit little groups around (not in taverns) having to travel doing favors or corrupting military leaders across eastern Europe up to Scandinavia.
4) Once you go back with the guards who shouldn't be less than , let's say, 50 you get a reward and the offer to lead them in battle as their officer in command  (katepano). This makes you practically a mercenary captain payed by the treasury a respectful amount of money . You follow campaigns of the marshal or the Emperor himself . Then you can swear as a lord or take the money and go when you are tired of it or just because you are already rich ( like Harldrada pretty much did ). I don't mean that you don't have other troops in your company but there must be (replaced if they die) at least over a certain number of them. What do you think?

Btw, I started re-reading the thread (since I remember that it was chock-full of great ideas all around) and this post by Cesar reminded me that we have no quests in the list for the Magna Harta/Golden Bull/etc. Perhaps we should think of a way to make unique quests out of them as well? Especially the Magna Harta, considering how iconic it is and it was signed by the same lackland king we have in the mod. Does anyone have any ideas how to implement it, without disrupting the whole game (i.e. starting an outright rebellion) too much?

Magna Carta
I suggest basing the quest upon one of the lesser charters which preceded both the more famous document, and the most dramatic of active hostilities between John and his Barons, rather than Magna Carta and the treaties of Runnymede.

There is a lot of potential in the politics of the surrounding events, though making it interesting would come down to your writers. I am unsure of M&B:W's ability to deal with multi-stage and branching quests so rather than suggesting specific execution I shall list some key elements worthy of consideration which I believe could be made into quests. 

Key events possibly worth investigating:
John did his best to garner support from the pope, going so far as taking the cross (pledging to go on armed pilgrimage).
John confirmed London's city charter. Which gave a lot of power to the senior merchants in the city.
John demanded his barons take a new oath of allegiance.
John repeatedly tried to engage in negotiations and issued several charters but generally evaded and called for the arbitration of the Pope on difficult matters.
John gathered a large number of mercenaries.
John individually undermined the barons and their unity. It is worth noting John was well known to give extravagant gifts to his favourites and was accused of bribery more than once.

Other events worth consideration as quests:
The Braose conflict (1206-1211): Maud de St. Valery, wife of William, was jailed by the king for spreading rumours. William formerly a kings favourite and likely involved with the disappearance of Arthur has his english lands seized (supposedly for not paying taxes) and welsh lands forcibly taken by force of arms. William fled to Ireland and soon died. This treatment of a respected and powerful lord likely contributed to the tension with the barons. Given the nature of the game Perhaps William asks the player to talk/bribe John into reducing hostilities and releasing his wife.

Revenge for the 'Massacre of Abergavenny': In 1175 several Welsh nobles were invited to a Christmas feast at Abergavenny Castle. They were slaughtered. While some sources blame William's castellan for the plan, William Braose later hunted down and killed one of the Welshmen’s last heir, a 7 year old boy. In 1182 Hywel ap Iorweth sacked Abergavenny in retaliation. The castle was burned and was rebuilt from 1190-1215 during which time it frequently changed hands. Perhaps a quest given by a Welsh lord to capture the city, or to hunt down and kill the castellan might be in order.

I spent some time doing the unique quests, well except the Throne of Connacht since England wiped them out :grin:

Aragon's Saint was going smoothly until the part where i had to capture an almohad castle, not only that it was just on the beginning of the campaign so I couldn't possibly capture a 200-soldier castle with 150 soldiers in best case, but the faction signed peace with the Caliphate so I couldn't attack almohad castles. Perhaps in this case the quest should be cancelled and made possible to be given again by the king.

The pilgrim in Benevento is almost flawless, it has typo that made me laugh :grin:
1536uqb.jpg

And the Absalons Taxes needs some details, especially for people who are going to skip the conversation and then have no idea where to find the rebels.
qya3cp.jpg

Has any thought been put into emerging factions quests ? I know I posted about this a while back, or at least I think I did..

Back
Top Bottom