The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Users who are viewing this thread

Fourth Age Total War: The Dominion of Men
First Dev. Diary Published!

fatwlogosmall.png

From some secret place deep within the maggot-holes of the studios of the Fourth Age Development Team, the First Dev. Diary Video for The Dominion of Men is unleashed...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410997

The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men is a mod for Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion (1.6) and is the culmination of the popular lore-based series set in the Fourth Age of Tolkien's Middle-earth.

Gah, sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Fourth Age is older than Third Age and on the Rome rather than Medieval 2 engine. It's soon to be fully completed, and will be the first Middle-earth mod for the TW series to be fully finished (as far as I am aware), though LOTR:TW is not too far behind it I believe (was started about a year after FATW).

Third Age has some great units (and they are working on buildings now) but is some way off completion yet (though it's open beta).

FATW differs from the other Middle-earth mods most visibly in being based upon the books (and not the movies).

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
dubhdara said:
FATW differs from the other Middle-earth mods most visibly in being based upon the books (and not the movies).

...How so?

they're more like TLD, no plate armour, no movie designs, that kinda stuff.

That's right Merlkir, but in a lot more ways too other than just original and lore-accurate designs. A lot of research has gone into geography, names, titles, traits, ancs, text, and all of those finer details of the game to make it fully immersive.

Slightly on-topic question: What's the difference between the books and the movies? Is it just plate armor, appearances and small changes or do they have differences in terms of story?

Lord Leoric of Wercheg said:
Slightly on-topic question: What's the difference between the books and the movies? Is it just plate armor, appearances and small changes or do they have differences in terms of story?
The movies had to cut out some things, and changed the cut-off points between the parts of the trilogy. For example, about half of Fellowship of the Ring was just getting to Bree to begin with, and the Two Towers doesn't end after Helm's Deep.

Oh, and there's no Scouring of the Shire in the movies, the ghost army didn't fight at Pelennor, the Rangers did, there's another Wizard that makes like a one-chapter cameo, Pippin isn't as big an idiot, Legolas is even more elfy, and Frodo's a bit less wimpy (though I did love Elijah Wood's performance).

dubhdara said:
That's right Merlkir, but in a lot more ways too other than just original and lore-accurate designs. A lot of research has gone into geography, names, titles, traits, ancs, text, and all of those finer details of the game to make it fully immersive.

Yea, I've played the mod a couple years back. It was pretty interesting.

Kamos32 said:
Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Merlkir said:
no plate armour

Never really understood why people raised such a big fuss over that when they excluded things like Tom Bombadil from the movies.

Personally I was more irritated by the lack of Prince Imrahil.
Prince Imrahil was a bro, he was one of my favourite characters, after Theoden and Boromir.

Back
Top Bottom