Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, It's a pity though that you have to get all the way up to Steel Plate to find a set of Heavy armor that both looks good and has good stats.

Iron is okay, but its pluses come from looking bare-bones functional, rather than aesthetically pleasing. Steel is weird looking, and Dwarven is just one huge piece of "hell naw". :lol:

All of this discussion reminds me that at some point I need to get around to making that Khajiit battlemage with Dragonplate armor and the Staff of Magnus* that I've wanted to create for ages.

*I do wish staves were more effective in this game, btw. I mostly carry them to look badass. :razz:

I like the companions armor, minus the helmet. I usually rotate my gear around, since my characters always use enchanting and smithing. Sometimes its the Wolf, other times its Nordic armor or one of the nicer pieces from Immersive Armors. Same with weapons. I got mannequins and weapon plaques filled with all of the stuff.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yeah, the low-tier armors were a disappointment. The hide, studded, and scaled armors are basically just retextures of each other (with some minor tweaks), and the fur armor is very similar as well. I really like the ebony armor, though. It's lost the gaudy gold trim while still maintaining the appearance of an extremely well-made and expensive armor. And it looks pretty badass, IMO.

Oh, yeah, ebony was quite awesome as well.

Deadric and glass make me puke however.

Companion armor was unremarkable, neither good, neither bad.

Eh, I for one like the Glass Armor. And as for Immersive Armors, well, I just never found them to be all that... immersive. A lot of them just didn't seem to match Skyrim's style.

Teofish said:
I always found the Companion armour to have a weird fit.
Yeah, I don't much like the Companions armor either. The shoulder pads are a bit too much. It would be okay without them. Plus the female version doesn't have the glorious fur skirt for some reason, revealing the weird legs that look like they're bandaged with strips of cloth.

Arvenski said:
Eh, I for one like the Glass Armor. And as for Immersive Armors, well, I just never found them to be all that... immersive. A lot of them just didn't seem to match Skyrim's style.
Exactly. A lot of the 'immersive' and 'lore-friendly' mods stick out like a sore thumb, IMO. Hence why I avoid big compilation mods like that. Some of the stuff in IA is pretty good, especially those armors that were made by kitbashing existing Skyrim models in new ways; other stuff no so much.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yeah, the low-tier armors were a disappointment. The hide, studded, and scaled armors are basically just retextures of each other (with some minor tweaks), and the fur armor is very similar as well. I really like the ebony armor, though. It's lost the gaudy gold trim while still maintaining the appearance of an extremely well-made and expensive armor. And it looks pretty badass, IMO.

If the Leather Armour didn't have that ****ty shoulder piece that stuck upwards for no real reason, it would probably be my favourite vanilla armour.

Arvenski said:

True, because a lot of them were built upon the open source stuff from The Witcher.

A lot of these armors have too many things on them, too many straps, too many pockets, pouches bags and all kinds of clutter added as well, making them somehow really not too believable.

That said, I could not play without IA because I'd sorely lack the armor variety, even if a lot of it is just rehashes of other armors.

It's not so much that the clutter makes the Witcher/Immersive Armors items less believable as it just makes them stand out in comparison to Skyrim's armor sets. Skyrim's armor designs are fairly simplistic when it comes to clutter, so a heavily-cluttered set of armor (like some of the ones from Immersive Armors) just sticks out like a sore ass. In my opinion, anyway.

Oh, and when it comes to heavy armor, I'd forgotten about the Akaviri/Blades armor, and the Dawnguard heavy armor(s). All of those are quite good looking.

Those Akaviri style armors were always my heavy armor choice, even when i am at say, level 45 and have access to Daedric stuff, because it looks so much cool with Ebony Blade. Daedric Armor is too evil for roleplaying Paladin.
That being said, now i really want to start a game on master difficulty dead is dead run, let's see where this goes.

Arvenski said:
It's not so much that the clutter makes the Witcher/Immersive Armors items less believable as it just makes them stand out in comparison to Skyrim's armor sets. Skyrim's armor designs are fairly simplistic when it comes to clutter, so a heavily-cluttered set of armor (like some of the ones from Immersive Armors) just sticks out like a sore ass. In my opinion, anyway.

Oh, and when it comes to heavy armor, I'd forgotten about the Akaviri/Blades armor, and the Dawnguard heavy armor(s). All of those are quite good looking.
I don't think it's the clutter as such. I do think the Witcher armors stick out, but I also like to add my own clutter to my character via Bandolier, Equipping Overhaul, etc. So IMO it's not the clutter itself that makes the Wither armors stand out, it's their visual style.

Yeah, the Dawnguard armors are among the most normal looking armors in Skyrim. I'm not a fan of the Blades armor, though. It's a weird hybrid of samurai and legionnaire armor, which doesn't really work for me. Plus there's the lore problem as well. You can walk up to Thalmor while wearing the official Blades uniform and get no reaction whatsoever. They don't attack you on sight at all. If the armor actually made them do that, that'd be awesome. But it doesn't.

Jhessail said:
Now I kinda want to play Skyrim again.  :oops:
Doo eet! :lol:

But don't do what I did just now and realize you picked the wrong race 100+ hours in. :wink:

Jhessail said:
Now I kinda want to play Skyrim again.
Same. :sad:

Thing is, I don't want to have to go to all the trouble of doing a complete reinstall via the disc and then have to wait an hour and a half for Steam to finish downloading the updates, only to be able to play Skyrim again on medium settings (presuming that the reinstall cures me of all the fubar'd graphics settings issues that I've been having) and with a bad framerate (I've grown more intolerant of bad FPS lately), when I'll have to do it all (the installation and all that) again when I get the new PC bought and built. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom