Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh gods, sudden challenge run out of nowhere. :razz:

Was reasonably low level then went to upgrade my gear. Smithing spazzed out and jumped to 156, and suddenly I'm level 31, with great gear and ****ty skills. Oh boy. :lol:

Yeah, I was very disappointed by how simple it was. You didn't need to do any research on how exactly it's done, apparently the best way to obtain the knowledge of how to make the best armor in the world is simply to make a metric ****ton of iron daggers. Worst of all, you could simply walk into a shop and buy all the necessary components for a pittance. Seriously? A village alchemist has a whole bunch of daedra hearts just sitting on a shelf, does she? Utterly idiotic game design right there, if you ask me.

Yes, now, think about it this way; do gamers want to spend hours working their way to this ugly piece of armour or do they want it in a fast and easy way that doesn't require any thinking at all? To make a game work and to be able to create a sequel, you need profits. Profits you gain from getting a lot of people to buy this. Now, if people wanted a game wherein everything you do is complicated they would buy that game and not Skyrim. Am I right or wrong?

As long as game encourage that behaviour, the industry will only get worse. It's about putting artistic integrity before profit. Something Bethesda never does and probably never will.

And if they never does and never will why continue buying their games. If you let something as small as this ruin your game then I quite frankly don't know what kind of game you'd like to play.

iCock said:
Yes, now, think about it this way; do gamers want to spend hours working their way to this ugly piece of armour or do they want it in a fast and easy way that doesn't require any thinking at all? To make a game work and to be able to create a sequel, you need profits. Profits you gain from getting a lot of people to buy this. Now, if people wanted a game wherein everything you do is complicated they would buy that game and not Skyrim. Am I right or wrong?
Yes, now thinks about it this way: Do gamers want to die in battle? Clearly not, therefore by your logic god mode should be on by default. But that would make the game rather boring, wouldn't it? So yes, you are in fact completely wrong.

iCock said:
And if they never does and never will why continue buying their games. If you let something as small as this ruin your game then I quite frankly don't know what kind of game you'd like to play.
Straw man fallacy, nobody said that Skyrim is somehow ruined by this. Merely that it's a flaw. One of many.

theAthenian said:
Golden Saints and Seducers are not supposed to be hunt down.

Depends on the daedroth. Some Golden Saints will be harmless and simply doing whatever pleases them in the Madhouse. Some will be trying to lead mortals down the Golden Road on Mundus. Should the harmless Golden Saints be hunted down? No. If they are in Mundus and threatening to bring mortals to Sheogorath and make their souls His property, it would probably be in everyone's best interest if they were banished.

Daedra seducers, on the other hand, are wanderers of the Void and can serve any Prince. You do not know who they serve until you ask them, and at that point it can be too late. Is one from Molag Bal or Mehrunes Dagon dangerous? Very. Is one from Nocturnal or Azura dangerous? Not likely. Is one from Sanguine or Hermaeus Mora dangerous? Depends on what it's trying to accomplish.

iCock said:
Skyrim is great, but it has its flaws. Acknowledging that a game has flaws (as all do) doesn't mean it's "ruining the game."

iCock said:
Games like that have lots of potential for profit. Morrowind had the title of Game of the Year for a reason. It wouldn't have gotten it if it was a niche game nobody played. It's a market mostly ignored now, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Fallout: New Vegas had lots of emphasis on choices and consequences, complexity and all that, yet it sold very well with its metacritic score being 84/100. It simply depends on how a game is designed and advertising. You can have something that is extremely complex, but accessible and playable by anyone. A game that isn't advertised will also generally get a lot less sales, with a few exceptions.

I don't even believe that turn-based RPGs with gameplay like Fallout 1 & 2 are dead/unmarketable. It's just that nobody is making them.

Must be you then, I don't let myself get bother by a '' flaw '' so much that I wish to post it on a forum. If you don't like it you can always mod it?

@schemer

Well, maybe. But that doesn't mean posting about it is going to help. And I think Ringwraith spent more time complaining about flaws than actually playing the game..  :???:

To rid Skyrim of all its flaws you'd need a ****ing milennia and a bazillion slaves to do your bidding. And that's for a product you paid for.
A company that charges full price for a product ought to have at least passed alpha stage in production, not to mention ever finishing their product.

The only major glitch I had was Blood on the Ice breaking and not starting, which supposedly has been fixed. I also randomly discovered a quest item flute and some quest item bow that I forget the name of, which are stuck as quest items on my first character and a permanent +15ish weight, and to date I do not have any idea what quests they were for.

Other than that, glitches have been minor or insignificant at best. Skyrim's bugginess was exaggerated.

iCock said:
Must be you then, I don't let myself get bother by a '' flaw '' so much that I wish to post it on a forum.
But you do let yourself get bothered by people who post about it, and then you post about them. Complaining about complainers? What does that make you, hm? If you don't want to read people's thoughts about the game, then don't read people's thoughts about the game. It's not mandatory to come to this thread, you know.

I think Ringwraith spent more time complaining about flaws than actually playing the game..  :???:
You're quite right about that, actually. I stopped playing when that patch came out that broke gamepad controls. It was like the first or second patch they put out. Even though a fix has since been found, I've basically given up on Skyrim for now. I'm waiting for Bethsoft to crank out all the DLC and for modders to find and fix all the problems that Bethsoft is going to leave unpached. I have plenty of other stuff to do in the meantime, so when I go back to the game in a year or two, I'll be able to enjoy a complete and stable game with many of its wrinkles ironed out.

Schemer said:
Skyrim's bugginess was exaggerated.
There are quite a lot of bugs and glitches, the thing is that many of them have only a very small chance of happening. If every possible glitch happened 100% of the time, the game would be totally unplayable.

Untitled. said:
To rid Skyrim of all its flaws you'd need a ****ing milennia and a bazillion slaves to do your bidding. And that's for a product you paid for.
A company that charges full price for a product ought to have at least passed alpha stage in production, not to mention ever finishing their product.

I don't understand your complaint. Before it was patched the worst I had was the occasional CTD every couple of hours. After the patches the game's been working without any problems whatsoever. I don't recall any major or minor glitches. It also runs with a constantly smooth FPS with the graphics set to high settings, and my computer just barely matches the minimum requirements. The only beef I have with it is that the action keys in the menus are the defaults and didn't change when I changed the actual controls, so when the inventory tells me to press R to perform an action, I have to press V for it to actually happen. Sometimes the dialogue options don't react to the mouse as they should either. That is no doubt a blessing of a console port, but I've encountered nothing nearly as bad as your dramatic post would suggest the game to be filled with.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yes, now thinks about it this way: Do gamers want to die in battle? Clearly not, therefore by your logic god mode should be on by default. But that would make the game rather boring, wouldn't it? So yes, you are in fact completely wrong.
Not really. He's got a point: there's quite a bit of difference between complicated and rewarding, and complicated things tend to sell less than simple things. You have to put the right amount of "distance" between the player and his goal: too much or too little, and things fall apart.

Straw man fallacy, nobody said that Skyrim is somehow ruined by this. Merely that it's a flaw. One of many.
It's not a strawman if someone simply misinterprets something: in this case, the people who are complaining about the armor's tone.

Nahkuri said:
Untitled. said:

I don't understand your complaint. Before it was patched the worst I had was the occasional CTD every couple of hours. After the patches the game's been working without any problems whatsoever. I don't recall any major or minor glitches. It also runs with a constantly smooth FPS with the graphics set to high settings, and my computer just barely matches the minimum requirements. The only beef I have with it is that the action keys in the menus are the defaults and didn't change when I changed the actual controls, so when the inventory tells me to press R to perform an action, I have to press V for it to actually happen. Sometimes the dialogue options don't react to the mouse as they should either. That is no doubt a blessing of a console port, but I've encountered nothing nearly as bad as your dramatic post would suggest the game to be filled with.
It was a slight exaggeration, but I haven't played the game in a while and it was horrible enough to be difficult to enjoy when I played it. Gonna wait for all the unofficial mods to do their bidding. I couldn't even finish a single questline because they all broke on me. :lol:

MadocComadrin said:
Not really. He's got a point: there's quite a bit of difference between complicated and rewarding, and complicated things tend to sell less than simple things. You have to put the right amount of "distance" between the player and his goal: too much or too little, and things fall apart.
Exactly my point. We're talking about armor made from the crystallized blood of the gods magically infused with the suffering of tortured demons (which somehow makes it better, don't ask me how that works). Being able to make that at a village forge with supplies bought from the local pawn shop is way too little distance in this case.

It's not a strawman if someone simply misinterprets something: in this case, the people who are complaining about the armor's tone.
Straw man again, I was talking about what iCock said, not the people complaining about the armor's tone.

Ringwraith #5 said:
iCock said:
Must be you then, I don't let myself get bother by a '' flaw '' so much that I wish to post it on a forum.
But you do let yourself get bothered by people who post about it, and then you post about them. Complaining about complainers? What does that make you, hm? If you don't want to read people's thoughts about the game, then don't read people's thoughts about the game. It's not mandatory to come to this thread, you know.

I think Ringwraith spent more time complaining about flaws than actually playing the game..  :???:
You're quite right about that, actually. I stopped playing when that patch came out that broke gamepad controls. It was like the first or second patch they put out. Even though a fix has since been found, I've basically given up on Skyrim for now. I'm waiting for Bethsoft to crank out all the DLC and for modders to find and fix all the problems that Bethsoft is going to leave unpached. I have plenty of other stuff to do in the meantime, so when I go back to the game in a year or two, I'll be able to enjoy a complete and stable game with many of its wrinkles ironed out.

Schemer said:
Skyrim's bugginess was exaggerated.
There are quite a lot of bugs and glitches, the thing is that many of them have only a very small chance of happening. If every possible glitch happened 100% of the time, the game would be totally unplayable.

Yes, however I poured 200+ hours into the game whereas you stopped playing the game after the first patch. How could you EVER have gathered enough information to assume that the game is flawed? Every game is flawed. I don't see you complaining about Mount and Blade, yet it is more flawed than skyrim. Is it a less enjoyable game though? Never.

It bothers me not that you complain, it bothers me that you ALWAYS complain. Have you even said a single word positive about this game?
Also by no means do I intend to fight with you, just a discussion. :razz: Just saying.

While you are OBVIOUSLY correct, do not think I don't think likewise, you have to see it from bethesda's point of view..

do we create a complicated game with a lot of lore so that the hardcore fans will be satisfied?

Or do we create a simplified game with still a lot to do so people who don't know about the lore ( for instance I never knew about the daedric way of making armour till now ) so that everyone can enjoy?

They are making a game for profit and not for letting you enjoy said game. They could stop making games right now and not even care about what you think.

Yeah. Lore-wise, Morrowind handled the Daedric crap the best. IIRC you needed all the expansions to find a full gear of it. Unless you killed Divayth Fyr, a wizard who had a full set of it. He was hundreds of years old too, and had been ****ing about the Oblivion plenty of times(or something along those lines) so it's no wonder he had a full set.

Well, at least you won't find ****ing bandits in Daedric gear in Skyrim like you did in Oblivilol.

EDIT: Oh, RW has complained plenty about M&B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom