SP Other The Gathering Storm - A Wheel of Time Mod (Beta) Latest Version: V0.2.7d

Users who are viewing this thread

So I remember having this mod a long time ago, but I've tried to relocate it to download it again, and the website for downloading seems to be 404. Does anyone have these files for me, or know of where the new download area is? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I found the link it was being hosted somewhere else, I dug deeper into the forums, thank you for the new link, such a great mod.  :grin:

I want to increase the amount of marauding trollocs there are but I have no idea where to go for that haha. Can someone give me some directions for doing so? Thanks!

Has anyone played this mod all the way through yet? Does it take you to the final battle? I am also curious about what factions are best to join for your own kingdom (if you so choose). I would think joining Rand is ultimately the best option but that is why I am wondering if the mod completes the entire series up to and through the last battle.

Any suggestions feedback would be great!

There is no final battle in this mod, because development of this mod has stopped few months before publishing of the last book of WoT series. :sad:

As for choosing faction (in case you want to form your own kingdom), it really doesn't matter because sooner or later you'll betray and abandon them and secede part of their territory, so it's better idea to do it with some of weaker factions like Altara, Murandy or Gheldan. In that case you'll have more time to strengthen and consolidate your kingdom before you go to war with stronger factions. Secession form Legion of the Dragon, White Tower, Shadowspawn, Seanshans or Aiel nation is very very bad idea early in the game because you'll be forced to fight against many channeling units.

Disco Ninja said:
There is no final battle in this mod, because development of this mod has stopped few months before publishing of the last book of WoT series. :sad:

As for choosing faction (in case you want to form your own kingdom), it really doesn't matter because sooner or later you'll betray and abandon them and secede part of their territory, so it's better idea to do it with some of weaker factions like Altara, Murandy or Gheldan. In that case you'll have more time to strengthen and consolidate your kingdom before you go to war with stronger factions. Secession form Legion of the Dragon, White Tower, Shadowspawn, Seanshans or Aiel nation is very very bad idea early in the game because you'll be forced to fight against many channeling units.

Thanks for the info! I loved this series and read it twice, the game is a lot of fun and brings new enjoyment to Warband. I hope Mat comes back someday to finish what he started.

Sky Warden said:
The module system is shared along with the mod archive. Doesn't that imply that it's open source?

I'd also appreciate a clarification.
====
  Last place I see is:
    http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,147665.msg5907585.html#msg5907585
    which points to an external board that is "closed for maintenance"

but from THIS post
  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,147665.0.html
    there is the disclaimer:
    (spoiler "to Install")
      I have also included the source with the download.  If you are curious about how anything works (or doesn't) and want to look, then feel free to do so.  Please ask me for permission if you want to use any of my code.  (Especially now that I'm not the sole author of all the code for the mod.)  Thanks.

Except he hasn't been in 1 year  (last active Aug 27 2014  Mat2Rivs)
====

thus making the last clean Magic source that I can find  Curtain of Fire from Mirathei.

This is a pity as the weaves as a presentation are nice, as is decoupling the precise weave tied to a throwable item (which after all Phantasy Calradia also does).  The weaves themselves have value in terms of time savings as templates; its a pity some additional hours have to be burned to how to say "re-invent the wheel).  But it's mostly a matter of hours, starting from Mirathei's code as a template.  The weave selection presentation is very slick and probably needs a week to re-verse engineer, probably using Silverstag presentations as a template.  That's my take on it, as an interested observer.  This assumes magic and only magic are of interest in the source...  The weave symbols were a nice touch; it's a pity not to have those instead of having to ask someone to draw a fresh set.

what else is unique?  The mana bar driven by Rubik's troop ratio bar is fleshed out in OSP format for Silverstag's fatigue bar, which could be adapted
to show mana instead of fatigue.  Pity both can't be displayed at the same time, by moving the location of a second troop ratio bar to so many units lower y
coordinate than the first bar, and reinitializing/re-updating the newly renamed second presentation.  A bar happy person could have morale, or fear, or "divine flux" for that matter showing someplace...

Is there anything at all else that is unique?  Items, troops, city names are all easily redone in a mod, so they aren't critical.  Particle effects? Races?
Wormholes between points (if that is what the transporter obelisks are) haven't been copyrightable since Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey but the pictures used to make the map icon for one and the specific code to activate one ought not to be cut and pasted.  Darn shame, another couple days lost reinventing a wheel.

I personally don't want to make yet another mod based on yet another person's book.  I'd rather have code that eventually did what I wanted; any items
troops scens city names maps inherited as baggage is just eye candy to dress up otherwise plain seeming code.  But I see The Gathering Storm as an excellent reference on the state of magic 3-4 years ago, and likely strongly influences other (closed source) magic products out there.  It's loss as a OSP doesn't block magic, it just adds a half month of inconvenience for mods that wanted to do magic.  It remains possible that by forcing modders to come up with a different way to do things, the result becomes superior (in the same way a notorious gang of monkeys armed with typewriters can eventually write Shakespeare).  Given enough bandwidth, anything can be cracked/replaced/perhaps-redone without the same baggage holding it back...

- GS

gsanders said:
  I'd also appreciate a clarification.

but from THIS post
  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,147665.0.html
    there is the disclaimer:
    (spoiler "to Install")

Oh, didn't see that. Then we actually HAVE to ask for his permission if we want to continue his project.

It's kind of unclear though. The author provides the source code to "look" at and basically learn how the mod works, but doesn't let us to copy the code without permission. Doesn't that mean it's fine if someone makes a new Wheel of Time mod while referencing to his code? Someone can make a new mod with new resource (mesh, textures, sounds) and write their own version of the game feature based on this mod's code. It's just like how there are so many games with the same gameplay and story but different touches out there. It's a little unclear.

Yeah it would save me about a month if I could pull his magic system and simply paste it into what I want to build
  but that wouldn't be "wheel of time" themed.  I'd say it's worth not more than $500 USD to me, for non-commercial right to use,
but anything over that I'd do it myself instead, as it looks like I have to.  I don't get paid to mod and I have zero interest in asking money,
and I work at less than minimum wage in a 3rd world country these days, so money isn't my strong suit.  But a month of time, at my advanced age,
matters a lot to me.

Its a pity, really.

- GS

Back
Top Bottom