SP Fantasy Warsword Conquest - New Opening Post

Users who are viewing this thread

You can often continue your old saves, but doing so will prevent you from benefitting from all but the most superficial changes. For example the fix to the Skaven swords will apply to old saves, but the fix for the Beastmen spawn won't.

For this most recent update the easiest way to test would be starting a Tomb Kings character and see if their Lords use the new priest line of troops.

Don't want to be a huge complainer, but You definitely overbuffed the orcs, Birger. I've been playing both as an orc character as well as against them. The results:

While playing with dwarves we crushed the orcs kingdom (me capturing 3 castles by myself) but only because I was cheating. Having superior fire power I've just start the assault, stop my troops, allow them to shoot (killing around 50 orcs), retreat (TAB) and repeat the procedure. But in hand to hand combat orcs just charge and steamrolled over everything.

Now I am playing orc character and equaly numbers battles are extremely one sided (without my help). Even twice as many enemies is a guaranteed orcish victory.

The reasons: not only stats, but I think orc items are now too powerful. Including shields, which You were so concern about. Also the trolls are very deadly and I think that they are the most numerous 'special' unit in game. Chaos looks also extremaly powerful now (playing few hours).

While I know that Warband engine has it's limits, orcs and goblins really should have equipment inferior in compare to other factions. Still, the best (but tough) solution might be to implement this units value system from The Last Days mod (weaker unit count 2,5 of standard troop etc).
Also, the skulls on the orc armours are great but annoying if You try bow shooting. 

Also I am not shure if this is You submod, but arrows are now in bundles like 60 or so. Weren't they around 25 before? Range units are already too dominating in Warsword and lack of ammunition was a typical soldier's experience on the  battlefields through the whole history.

Cheers

Birger Jarl said:
You can often continue your old saves, but doing so will prevent you from benefitting from all but the most superficial changes. For example the fix to the Skaven swords will apply to old saves, but the fix for the Beastmen spawn won't.

For this most recent update the easiest way to test would be starting a Tomb Kings character and see if their Lords use the new priest line of troops.

Ok I see I actually did that right away anyways cause I. Wanted to see them and they are there I guess ill get rid of my old characters thanks for the help

id say leave the arrows are they are, if they dont make archers overpowered. carrying 60 arrows is accurate, at agincourt for instance the english bowmen carried a minimum of 60 and were re-supplied during the battle.
20-25 is way too little. and the orks have to be given some edge otherwise they lose very quickly.
in tt warhammer they are very numerous and its their numbers that give them the power,they dont have the numbers here and i suspect its because the maps a bit small when compared to the tt one.
just my two 'penneth! cheers

Bows do not have the raw power of guns and crossbows, plus they are rapid fire. 30 arrows simply weren't balanced vs. 20 bullets (especially since the archer AI is not concerned with ammo conservation and likes to take crap shots). Archers with 30 arrows will very quickly run out, with a lot of the arrows fired from too far away to actually have hit something.

Trolls are probably a fluke; they are no more numerous than other big monsters and I also recently updated non-monster special units like the Daemon Slayers to spawn at twice the rate so Dwarf lords should get two Daemon Slayers for each Rock Troll and Orc lords gets.

As for Orc units they shouldn't be more poweful at all; Black Orc Immortulz and Ironbreakers are evenly matched and their cavalry/archers are on par with other factions. Slayers are even a bit stronger tham Berserkas...

EDIT: Also, just throwing this out there, but enlisting with a Lord is not a good way to judge a faction - Lords will almost always pick fights they are guaranteed to win while they'll run away from certain defeat. Rarely will you get an even battle going. That is why you'll get mostly crushing victories, with the odd crushing defeat thrown in for good measure.

Lilly112 said:
Your mod isn't compatable with the Sub-mod on the front page, the troop changes just get over-written. So now, I am struggling to decide which to play.

Well, naturally - there can only be one sub-mod applied at any given time.

You could always create two Warsword folders and apply each sub-mod to one of them and try them out and see which one you like best.

Right, You have convinced me with this arguments. Krassus army was defeated by persian horse archers at Carrhae. They were resupplied by camel caravans and there was like two days of rapid fire on the legionnaires.

Still, those goblin archers are pain...

Mentioning about orcish steamroller, well, maybe that's their size and dangerous look. :twisted:

Khorne himself said:
Lilly112 said:
Any idea if there will be Vampires put in here? I loved the vampires of Warhammer lore.
Dunno if there's too much informations on them on the wiki.

Well, the Vampire Counts are a complete army in tabletop.

There's more than enough information to scrape together a proper faction for them in Warsword.

EDIT: In fact, as they generally use skeleton/zombies as their troops (only the heroes and lords are actual vampires) a lot of what you'd need to add them is already in the game.

bows are rapid shoot (not fire,there is no emission. i know.nerd!) but the more powerful they are the more training they take to use them.
after many years training i can use a 120lb  drawweight mongol bow effectivly
english archers were using longbows up to 200lb draw weight but only after years of training.
crossbows can be of extremly heavy draw weight. ive seen and used examples at 5-600lb draw but crossbows used in war take considerable time to load unlike hunting crossbows which can be spanned by hand.
firearms such as those used in the mod which are flintlocks can,like crossbows be used by low tier troops as they take very little training.

like cb's,firearms take time to load. well trained troops can achieve 3 rounds a minute but these weapons are made to be fired en masse i.e volley fire. the better quality marksmans weapons take longer to load as a sloppy wadding will affect accuracy. pistols, especially when used on horseback also take a bit longer to load.
the reason for all this rambling is i think you might be able to use these factors to stop weapons from being overpowered rather than restricting how many arrows\rounds an individual can carry.a bog standard musketeer historically would carry uo to 50 rounds, an archer 50\60 arrows,a crossbowman around 40.
sorry to go on, but ive used all these weapons in the past so i thought i'd weigh in!  cheers

leonn said:
bows are rapid shoot (not fire,there is no emission. i know.nerd!) but the more powerful they are the more training they take to use them.
after many years training i can use a 120lb  drawweight mongol bow effectivly
english archers were using longbows up to 200lb draw weight but only after years of training.
crossbows can be of extremly heavy draw weight. ive seen and used examples at 5-600lb draw but crossbows used in war take considerable time to load unlike hunting crossbows which can be spanned by hand.
firearms such as those used in the mod which are flintlocks can,like crossbows be used by low tier troops as they take very little training.

like cb's,firearms take time to load. well trained troops can achieve 3 rounds a minute but these weapons are made to be fired en masse i.e volley fire. the better quality marksmans weapons take longer to load as a sloppy wadding will affect accuracy. pistols, especially when used on horseback also take a bit longer to load.
the reason for all this rambling is i think you might be able to use these factors to stop weapons from being overpowered rather than restricting how many arrows\rounds an individual can carry.a bog standard musketeer historically would carry uo to 50 rounds, an archer 50\60 arrows,a crossbowman around 40.
sorry to go on, but ive used all these weapons in the past so i thought i'd weigh in!  cheers
Wow you're very good for this sort of things ! But heaviest crossbow have a lever (or a "manivelle", don't know how to translate this **** !) to reload faster no ?

To Birger Jarl/devs : there are norse raiders in the lizardmen territory, but technically marauders are also Norses, no ?

yes. the lever in uk is called a goatsfoot lever and it works on the lighter war crossbows at 350-400lbs draw weight.
these can also be spanned with a hook that hangs from the bowmans waist belt, but you have to stand up to use it thus exposing yourself to enemy missiles.
the heavier war crossbows which could have a draw weight anything up to 900lbs needed a crannequin which were essentialy a set of cables and wheels to literally crank the string back as they are impossible to span by hand or lever.

also bear in mind that the heavier bows were almost always used in conjunction with a large shield called a pavisse which was deployed in front of the crossbowman,behind which he would crouch while fighting.
the heavier bows were preferred by both sides during sieges to pick off nobles and bowmen,and those manning siege engines.
the heaviest draw weight crossbow ive actually seen was 3000lbs! more accuratly called a wallbow as it was meant for resting upon a fortification.  cheers

actually no. the bow itself was not far off the size of a roman scorpion, but was still a hand held weapon.

leonn said:
yes. the lever in uk is called a goatsfoot lever and it works on the lighter war crossbows at 350-400lbs draw weight.
these can also be spanned with a hook that hangs from the bowmans waist belt, but you have to stand up to use it thus exposing yourself to enemy missiles.
the heavier war crossbows which could have a draw weight anything up to 900lbs needed a crannequin which were essentialy a set of cables and wheels to literally crank the string back as they are impossible to span by hand or lever.

also bear in mind that the heavier bows were almost always used in conjunction with a large shield called a pavisse which was deployed in front of the crossbowman,behind which he would crouch while fighting.
the heavier bows were preferred by both sides during sieges to pick off nobles and bowmen,and those manning siege engines.
the heaviest draw weight crossbow ive actually seen was 3000lbs! more accuratly called a wallbow as it was meant for resting upon a fortification.  cheers

Well a steel arbalest could be around 2000 Kgs no? That was a hand carried weapon; probably the deadliest, most powerful and precise ranged weapon of the late middle ages, with an effective range of over 800 meters and superior penetration capability, the only problem was very low diffusion due to its cost. Hell steel xbows are so darn effective that they are still in use today by some special corps  :shock:

Birger Jarl said:
Khorne himself said:
Does anyone know how I upgrade from recruit on this forum ?

Pretty sure it is based on your numbers of posts.

Actually I think it's about active time on the forum too

Anyway I'm totally hoping Vampire Counts will be included in the upcoming version  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom