Fellow modders please help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Subotai

Sergeant at Arms
Hi this is my first post, just bought the game recently and been hooked for one full week I even dreamt about lancing and horse archery in my sleep  :oops:
Ive been going through the mods and slowly learning how the text files work with assistance from the Unofficial editor for M&B, however I have just one question:

I'm having problems with the add_item script trigger for conversations. I attempted to add a new 'horse-item' in the game, here's what I did:

NOTE: After a bug I found with saving modules using the beta editor though, castle sieges stopped working for me, thus I edit the game directly by identifying the numbers in the text file. Ne ways, here's what I did to add in my new horse (which wont work), can someone please tell me how to make it work?

What I did:
1) Opened up a copy of native with the unofficial editor
2) Copied and pasted and edited a new version of 'charger' horse
3) Saved the temp module, and closed the editor
4) Opened notepad and copied the section of 'itm_newcharger' to the end of native item_kinds.txt file
5) Then opened and edited the Zendar trainer's 'goodbye line' to give me my horse using the editor
The line was this: troop_add_item(TROOP[trp_player], ITEM[itm_newcharger], 5)
I copied the text from when Constable Hachek gives you the shield.
6) Saved and used the same 'copy and paste text' tactic and replaced the trainer's old dialog line with the new one which is supposed to GIVE ME my horse!! haha

This worked for me before in making Ymira work. Dont know why the horse wont spawn in my inventory (it should be using the same mesh, etc), may I ask what's the last value '5' for in that script, or did I forget to edit another file?

So far Ive edited troops.txt and conversations.txt

The last number is the item modifier; '18' for lame, '22' for spirited, '11' for heavy, etc.

As far as adding an item, I don't think that it's very easy to do just by editing the *.txt files.  Modifying an item, sure, but adding an item requires that you also add it to the item numbers list, and I'm not really sure where that is stored.

The easiest thing to do would be to download the official module system; once you get it working (and there are many excellent tutorials, just do a quick search) it will take you all of five minutes to add a new item.

items number? could it be :
itemsfile version 2

That line is in item_kinds1.txt, guess i should experiment
Ne ways thanks I'm downloading the module now, its just the 0.750 not 0.751 version scares me :sad:

Thanks, though I actually got it working without it  :mrgreen:

in item_kinds1.txt
the lines:

itemsfile version 2
224 <--- thats the item number, and it makes it work :grin:

So if you add a new item in native, make that number 225, etc...
So any other modders note this, just in case :wink:

Thanks though everyone, I guess in the future I'll learn how to use the python script to avoid further mishaps  :shock:

ive been following the tutourials for adding objects but ive hit 2 problems
1/when ive added them everything looks fine appart from the 3 brf files are black in colour mesh,mat and tex
2/i try to start the mod but it just crashes on load up
can anyone tell me what ive done wrong ?checked the mod-ini and items files and there fine

Chances are that you wont get a real response in a 3 year old topic.. consider asking for help in the mod development section.

Anyway, did u press the SET button every time when making the .brf? And does it still show black after reloading them?

Back
Top Bottom