Safely removing towns

Users who are viewing this thread

WKS1138

Recruit
What do I have to do to safely remove a town or spawn point using the unofficial editor. I'm worried by the warnings when I delete them in party view.

This one is pretty complex. When you delete them in the partys screen you have a load of referances to them for game menus, simple triggers etc etc. Best thing to do is to create a dummy party like a spawn point and then when deleting refer all the other original referances to this.

WKS1138 said:
What do I have to do to safely remove a town or spawn point using the unofficial editor. I'm worried by the warnings when I delete them in party view.
Simply put, you can't. The module system component of Morgh's editor doesn't support triggers, scripts, and game menus, which all cross-reference towns and spawnpoints extensively.
With the module system, you should be able to make a town not appear (to you, at least) on the map by using pf_disabled in place of icon_town|pf_town, but to dereference it you should both comment out where they're specifically used, especially in module_scripts.py, at game_start when most towns are assigned to lords and at spawn_bandits for their spawn-points (which double as bandit lair locations); and remove it from the range of valid towns defined in module_constants. This way, loops which apply to towns in general should ignore that town, whereas any code that specifically mentions the town should still work. Cut and pasting it above Zendar should remove it from the active list of towns/walled centers, although I've never tried this. Most people add towns, not remove them.

Im making a mod and I figure its easier to remove ten towns then add seven factions also do i need to use the python scripts to get rid of them (I have them there just a pain in the ass) or can I do it all with text documents.

If you're able to find all of the ids for each town you're removing from the scripts and game menu by text documents, by all means do so.
But remember, for every town you remove, you'll need to find and decreasing the id for the next 20 towns, 50 castles, and 100 villages, in addition to all the bandit spawn points. It's really not worth the effort.
What you can do with the text editor is change the coordinates of the towns to some random place, as I've seen some mods do in the past. However, keep in mind that factions will still own the town, the lords will spawn there, and quests and caravans will still go there, etc. The mods I mentioned always disabled the towns first and made it so that they aren't referenced anywhere, which you'll find quite impossible to do with text editing.
And I really don't suggest making text-based mods, you'll regret it later on.

Alright you said 100 villages there are 80 total 50 castles there are 40 total 20 towns there are 18 total. I am doing as little of this text based as possible. All I would like is to know if there is an easy or at least somewhat easy way to get rid of a town at least well enough so that there is no way to know there ever was one.

Back
Top Bottom