1066 - The Battle For Middle Earth

Users who are viewing this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s95LlhkeewA&feature=&p=88329587D4667E82&index=0&playnext=1

Before you kill me, I know that this isn't about the 7th century :wink:
But I think it's a nice film for fans of Brytenwalda.
I haven't seen it myself yet, but I will watch it the next days.
But I've seen some pictures and scenes and it looks very good.

Have fun!

When this was aired on Channel 4 in the UK they also had a small game made that was actually pretty good. I'm unsure if you chaps outside of the the UK can play it but it's worth a shot.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/1066/articles/1066-the-game

That Huscarl guy, Orthgar (I'm relatively sure that the modern Dutch name 'Rutger' is derived from this.) I think he was called, had a kite shield? I thought the Anglo-Saxons of those days mainly used round shields. Anyway, just watched the first one. Pretty cool, though I wish they'd speak less English and more Anglo-Saxon. :razz:

FrisianDude said:
That Huscarl guy, Orthgar (I'm relatively sure that the modern Dutch name 'Rutger' is derived from this.) I think he was called, had a kite shield? I thought the Anglo-Saxons of those days mainly used round shields. Anyway, just watched the first one. Pretty cool, though I wish they'd speak less English and more Anglo-Saxon. :razz:

Ordgar - spear point.  :smile:

He had a rounded kite-shield; it was not exclusive to the Normans, although they were heavy users of it compared to the round shields of the Saxons.

Yeah, Ordgar. Rutger has to do with spear as well, though I thought it was more about champion. Spear-Champion or something.

Anyway, very nice film, this, thanks for the link! Just too bad that spoken comment is so melodramatic. :lol:

Woah, Hardrada's death was pretty epic, so to say.

when i've read: the battle for middle earth, my first thought was: not again Sauron, you're already dead dude. :smile: well made documentary video, thanks.

Oh joy, they went with the 'Normans are eeevil' point of view. Even the Danes have some named characters, but not the Normans.

Edit; why are they so uniform? :O Most Normans in red and most Anglo-Saxons in blue; especially the shields.

FrisianDude said:

Nah, only one or two of the Anglo-Saxons on the Bayeux Tapestry (our only visual source) have round shields. Almost all of them are equipped with kite shields.

I knew both the game and the movie and there both damm great - everytime I watch the later it always a wonderfull experiance, which never gets old.

Bah, I lost the first battle as Viking. :sad: I don't really understand how to shoot, and the 'press button for bonus' thingies are cool, but often too slow. :O

Lost the second try as well, even though I swapped my archers for a group of warriors. Their archers are dangerous at times, but also quite hilarious, often. :lol:

In a Norman (me) versus English battle I found out how they work. And it was a pretty close.. defeat. :sad:

And then I crushed the Normans as English, but that was probably because the AI is actually quite a lot more stupid on easy. Nice, I won a medium match Viking vs Norman.

Back
Top Bottom