Suggestions and Critique

Users who are viewing this thread

Point taken. I have not seen a mod with more people and places than this one and I definitely would not want to start cutting characters or the locations they come from. I guess I just really miss the notes. Eventually I will probably memorize who everyone is and where they are from.

Also I may have been premature in my criticism of the companions. Looking at some of the other ones stats like Hoger Danske, he is really well balanced and their stories are really well done.

Adrale said:
I have a few humble suggestions.

First of all, let me say that this mod has many redeeming qualities. Primary among those is, from what I can gather, that it is still being worked on. When I am deciding whether to dl a mod or not and I happen to read that it is no longer being attended to, I won't even bother. So I appreciate and applaud your continued effort.

Now on to "humble" suggestions

1. This mod really needs the ability to trade fiefs.

2. All of the face helms and some weapons like the assegai would look a lot better if you lightened them up a couple of shades. They are so black that it is difficult to even spot them in your inventory. Maybe have them "reflect the light" just enough to have their form become visible.

3. The Knight errant has much better stats than my Norwegian knights but costs much less. I have not checked out the stats on French, German etc knights but just thought I would point it out. I could see how this might be intentional. Norway isn't the first Kingdom one pictures when they think of knights from this time period.

4. I would bet my life this has been mentioned before. Probably over and over. Something really must be done about the way sea travel is available. It's absurd watching everyone changing into ships all over the place. You may want to consider strips of restricted water along the coastlines with water crossings at ports. I have a hunch this might even decrease some of the lag on the overland map. While on the subject of lag on the map, you may also want to consider changing the prosperity system for villages and just getting rid of the traveling villagers all together. This would also surely cut down on traffic and lag.

5. The notes section really needs to be expanded. I have seen other mods that had everyone and everywhere included in the notes despite having far more people/places than native so I know it can be done. Also it would be cool to have people in my faction fe Norway with ages other than 0.

6. A couple of castles I have seen don't match their location. FE, Kirkwall is a Khergit fortress.

7. This is as much a compliment as a suggestion. I can play this mod with absolutely 0 battle lag. Please!!!!!! Keep it that way.

8. Some companions skills don't really match their back story. Roger Godberg is a lame scout and Beatrijs is an incompetent medic.

9. There are maybe 2 or 3 blonde females (and they are married) in the whole of Scandinavia! What gives? I would love to see appearances reflect location more closely. Maybe even have some of them be a bit more attractive. Even native had a couple of cute blonde Nords.

These are just a few for now but I would like to add more later, unless they are not appreciated. Then you can just tell me to screw off and keep my constructive criticisms to my self. My sincere thanks to all concerned.

1. would be possible, if diplomacy is included. There had been plans and some problems though. Correct me if I am wrong. But the big thing is that there are so many things to be done to finish this mod, some things are put back to the end of the queue. All the main work is done by Korinov only. So the only thing to say here is: Patience please.

2. is something I cannot confirm. Maybe you have to adjust your settings a bit. Some helmets are a bit darker, but they are still all right.
See:

3. Don't know. I honestly lost the overview.  :wink:

4. Agreed. Water travel is one of the big issues that could be optimised. I like the way it is done in Brytenwalda f.e.

5. As Nike said and -  if you find people that are 0 you might wanna post their names and factions? That way you could help to improve the mod. But still the fix has to be done and some problems matter more than others.

6. Good find! I'd suggest to Korinov: Use the placeholder for the atlantic coast. Then it will look like Caen f.e.

9. is a bit like 5. There are so many characters and Norway lacks a few ladies as well as HRE f.e.. That's why this is still being worked on... and the look of the ladies - well: remember what I said about that queue?  :wink:

4. Agreed. Water travel is one of the big issues that could be optimised. I like the way it is done in Brytenwalda f.e.

This mod I tried recently, called The Sword and The Axe, has an even better water travel: You basically buy a ship in a town, and then are able to water travel, but once you disembark the ship stays there until you get to it again.  You can buy as many of them as you want and thus basically set up your own ferry lines :grin:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,296240.0.html

@NikeBG I'm a fan of that mod (The Swird and The Axe) as well, but I don't think that form of sea travel is the solution for E1200 at the moment. It's great for the player but not for the AI. I believe he is ironing that out for the next version. Could be worth a look then.

@quapitty Hee hee, I just checked my monitor and it had somehow been changed to the darkest auto setting possible. My maids always wipe down the monitor with whatever washrag they are wiping down everything else with. I have seen that auto lighting screen pop up before when they were doing it. I guess they hit while I was out of the room. It must have been like this for weeks because now that I think of it other things seemed abnormally dark. I would scold them for it but they don't really care.

I didn't think about that. No it doesn't use it at all.

BTW guys is there anything that the creator of that mod (Antonis) can do. He recently mentioned that he was working on a mod that contains entire europe so I asked him if he'd be interested to join forces with you, and he seems quite welcoming towards the opportunity. Why don't you guys from the tam talk to him? He seems like a very capable modder since he finished that mod almost on his own.

Antonis has mentioned several times that he is not really a coder but the things he does he seems to do well. He is also polite and responds enthusiastically to peoples questions and suggestions. If he did throw in on this mod it is hard to see how it would hurt.

Welcome to Subitai's suggestions for changes that could be made easily on the next update.  :razz:

Ok, ok i'll cut out the announcer's voice, in truth since I've put in countless hours (no lie) on my tweaks experimentation for E1200.  It's kind of given me a feel for could be doable, as far as instant changes for our beloved MOD.

Here are the Tweaks I think could be added now very easily for the next release:

UPDATED + 1

+ 1  Tweak to access your companions inventory as storage

Notes:
- What this does it give you access to the Inventory of your companions. So you can use them for storage, even for horses!  This has an interesting side effect:  It's almost like your heros are a pawn shop! You can see how much cash they have. 

*I tested this on one of my games at about 300 days and Arn de Gothia had 180k + for his personal money!!! 

- It uses a script that deals with buying and selling, so technically when you give them something it pays you the value of the item (even a horse).  But when you take it back you then have to pay the same value for it.  Thus it's an even trade. 

-The Pawn part is cool, because I often have to spend my own money to UPgrade my heros equipment.  Now with this tweak you can "BORROW" some cash and then get it back.  SWEET!!

- This makes total sense to me.  Now I don't have to spend 5000+ of my own money to upgrade my Medics (Hildegard) armor.  She can help with the costs...dang straight!

How to level up your lords and change their equipment

- this Twk is really only available when you've become a KING.  I don't see any CONS really with it.  By the time you've become a King...most lords will have gone up in Experience enough to be leveled up.  You will literally see the "+" symbol next to their names indicating it as well.

- Also, essential if you're a player that likes to promote your hero/companions into lords.  The game will change whatever equipment you leave them with and if you're a control freak like me...that sux!!

Add to Character info screen your relation as a Number
- I do believe Korinov has said he doesn't see this as a problem so he's going to implement it next. :smile:

Allow Accessing Inventory During a Siege

- I know that some people will think that this is cheating but for sure I think the PROS out weigh the Cons.  The way I see it, if I were standing at the walls of my own castle...I would have been smart enough to leave extra arrows and other gear all around to use at my will in preparation of it's defense. 

True when you're the attacker, it's not realistic if you're on the ladder and you whip out your inventory to access it.  But it's also very likely after you get into the castle that you could find MORE arrows/bolts on the ground.  Especially ones that you KNOW SHOULD BE THERE but they have disappeared by the time you get there.   

* As an alternative, there are Mods out there that already replenish your Arrows when you're the defender on a siege. They just don't allow access to all your gear. 

Blood Tweak my improved version! 
- Again Korinov said he'd be looking at this already and i've gotten a few compliments from players that seemed to really like it. 

Tweak to cancel asses prices menu..hit by mistake = Totally needed for the game IMO!!!
- If you've ever clicked on "Asses Prices" in town market by mistake you'll notice that there's no way to back out of that.  Whereby you'll loose a few game hours having to wait for this to happen.  Suks if you didn't really mean to hit it and especially if you're in a hurry. 

Tweak to ask a Town Guildmaster for another quest after you already asked for one
-another one for convenience. A change to the conversation.txt to allow asking a merchant for another quest after you already asked for one (so if you don't like bringing a caravan to X, ask him if he has another job - without having to travel to another city first).  Cool and not a game breaker.

Improve your relations with lords and ladies up to "X" by giving them expensive gifts
- This process normally only works when your relations with a person is below 0, now it'll work when it's below 100 or whatever the number you pick.

This solves or a is a boost to major problem that I always had trouble with; For example when you have your own kingdom and you start handing out fiefs you start to loose relations with other jealous lords.  With this tweak you should be able to keep them in the positive.

Notes:  You still have to gain a positive relation with a lady prior to using this, for example a dedication after a tournament.

*** Lastly, I think it suxs if you're playing as a female character...that you cannot CHARM or Seduce Male lords into liking you in such a way that you can't get better relations with them.  I'm mean, if my charisma is HIGH... those bad boys should want me.  :lol:

Wifes Equipment
- I see NO harm in adding this. It just gives you a little more control. :smile:

Change faction / lord relation loss when defending your village
- I had NikeBG's support on this:

NikeBG wrote: " I don't see what could there be a dilemma about - I've always found it really stupid that defending your fief worsens your relations with the attacking lord. What does he expect - that I'm free game? Now, attacking him out in the open field - yeah, ok, I can understand that a bit (though if his country and mine are at war, I still hardly see anything for him to be upset about - "if you're afraid of bears, don't go to the woods"). So, yeah, I personally agree that such a tweak would be most useful, especially if it already exists."

Below is an option that could be added when you've activated the MANPOWER option:

To Join Defenders / Attackers in a siege

- Mabe these Tweaks could be added only when you use Manpower.  It's very useful when you're in a smaller faction like "Wales" and you'd like to weaken England.  For example, they are attacking Aberdeen, Scotland and if you were able to join the defense...it might help to weaken England enough to take some pressure off you. 

P.S. I really would like to be listed as a member in the credits for Europe 1200.
- If for no other reason than cosmetic. ( it could say Tweak Researcher for all I care)  But because I've put in the time for this mod.  :smile:

Thoughts?

I fully agree on everything. And I think some more of your tweaks could be added to the mod itself as well. Let's hope Korinov sees this and agrees, too!

Your work is fantastic and I think it could add so much excitement in this mod and make it far better than other WB mods... Many things that you did, greatly improve vanila issues giving a new flavor to the game ... It's up to the team to decide , but I would like to see many, if not all of them, implemented...

Here's another Tweak that could be added easily upon next release.  :smile:

Tweak to access your companions inventory as storage

Notes:
- What this does it give you access to the Inventory of your companions. So you can use them for storage, even for horses!  This has an interesting side effect:  It's almost like your heros are a pawn shop! You can see how much cash they have. 

*I tested this on one of my games at about 300 days and Arn de Gothia had 180k + for his personal money!!! 

- It uses a script that deals with buying and selling, so technically when you give them something it pays you the value of the item (even a horse).  But when you take it back you then have to pay the same value for it.  Thus it's an even trade. 

-The Pawn part is cool, because I often have to spend my own money to UPgrade my heros equipment.  Now with this tweak you can "BORROW" some cash, but then you dont nenecessarily need to pay it back.  Unless you want it back later.
- This makes total sense to me.  Now I don't have to spend 5000+ of my own money to upgrade my Medics (Hildegard) armor.  She can help with the costs...dang straight!

Original List of Twks I think could be added pretty easily w/o breaking the game.

How to level up your lords and change their equipment

- this Twk is really only available when you've become a KING.  I don't see any CONS really with it.  By the time you've become a King...most lords will have gone up in Experience enough to be leveled up.  You will literally see the "+" symbol next to their names indicating it as well.

- Also, essential if you're a player that likes to promote your hero/companions into lords.  The game will change whatever equipment you leave them with and if you're a control freak like me...that sux!!

Add to Character info screen your relation as a Number
- I do believe Korinov has said he doesn't see this as a problem so he's going to implement it next. :smile:

Allow Accessing Inventory During a Siege

- I know that some people will think that this is cheating but for sure I think the PROS out weigh the Cons.  The way I see it, if I were standing at the walls of my own castle...I would have been smart enough to leave extra arrows and other gear all around to use at my will in preparation of it's defense. 

True when you're the attacker, it's not realistic if you're on the ladder and you whip out your inventory to access it.  But it's also very likely after you get into the castle that you could find MORE arrows/bolts on the ground.  Especially ones that you KNOW SHOULD BE THERE but they have disappeared by the time you get there.   

* As an alternative, there are Mods out there that already replenish your Arrows when you're the defender on a siege. They just don't allow access to all your gear. 

Blood Tweak my improved version! 
- If you want MORE BLOOD this is it !
- Again Korinov said he'd be looking at this already and i've gotten a few compliments from players that seemed to really like it. 

Tweak to cancel asses prices menu..hit by mistake = Totally needed for the game IMO!!!
- If you've ever clicked on "Asses Prices" in town market by mistake you'll notice that there's no way to back out of that.  Whereby you'll loose a few game hours having to wait for this to happen.  Suks if you didn't really mean to hit it and especially if you're in a hurry. 

Tweak to ask a Town Guildmaster for another quest after you already asked for one
-another one for convenience. A change to the conversation.txt to allow asking a merchant for another quest after you already asked for one (so if you don't like bringing a caravan to X, ask him if he has another job - without having to travel to another city first).  Cool and not a game breaker.

Improve your relations with lords and ladies up to "X" by giving them expensive gifts
- This process normally only works when your relations with a person is below 0, now it'll work when it's below 100 or whatever the number you pick.

This solves or a is a boost to major problem that I always had trouble with; For example when you have your own kingdom and you start handing out fiefs you start to loose relations with other jealous lords.  With this tweak you should be able to keep them in the positive.

Notes:  You still have to gain a positive relation with a lady prior to using this, for example a dedication after a tournament.

*** Lastly, I think it suxs if you're playing as a female character...that you cannot CHARM or Seduce Male lords into liking you in such a way that you can't get better relations with them.  I'm mean, if my charisma is HIGH... those bad boys should want me.  :lol:

Wifes Equipment
- I see NO harm in adding this. It just gives you a little more control. :smile:

Change faction / lord relation loss when defending your village
- I had NikeBG's support on this:

NikeBG wrote: " I don't see what could there be a dilemma about - I've always found it really stupid that defending your fief worsens your relations with the attacking lord. What does he expect - that I'm free game? Now, attacking him out in the open field - yeah, ok, I can understand that a bit (though if his country and mine are at war, I still hardly see anything for him to be upset about - "if you're afraid of bears, don't go to the woods"). So, yeah, I personally agree that such a tweak would be most useful, especially if it already exists."

Below is an option that could be added when you've activated the MANPOWER option:

To Join Defenders / Attackers in a siege

- Mabe these Tweaks could be added only when you use Manpower.  It's very useful when you're in a smaller faction like "Wales" and you'd like to weaken England.  For example, they are attacking Aberdeen, Scotland and if you were able to join the defense...it might help to weaken England enough to take some pressure off you. 

P.S. I really would like to be listed as a member in the credits for Europe 1200.
- If for no other reason than cosmetic. ( it could say Tweak Researcher for all I care)  But because I've put in the time for this mod.  :smile:

Thoughts?

Well, a suggestion on equipment variety:

I am not sure if you guys only use OSPs or also make models but if the latter is the case then I would suggest to implement a lot more arming swords, if only by looks and slight stat differences, maybe in the 1257 mod style using Oakeshotts typology ?

I agree on the more equipment thing. But if at all possible stay away from using Oakeshott. It just completely ruins immersion. Just make up random names like "French sword", "German sword" etc.

PPQ_Purple said:
I agree on the more equipment thing. But if at all possible stay away from using Oakeshott. It just completely ruins immersion. Just make up random names like "French sword", "German sword" etc.

Perhaps the modern coloquial names for the pomel styles such as 'Disk', 'Wheel', 'Tri-lobe' etc. (Since I assume that's the part of the typology fysaga was refering to, as the general types are pretty much just x through xiia)....

Would love to see a couple of f-type pommels though. They are pretty unique to this period, look damned nice... and I happen to have a nice matched set in steel.

The weapons I think the game needs most though are short (cheap) sword alternatives. Proto-falchions, hunting knives, and a few more high-end daggers. Really anything more than the big knife and the fancy basilard ('dagger') we have now. Just because that tactically usefull roll is a little under-represented at the moment.

Bohemond Chesne said:
Perhaps the modern coloquial names for the pomel styles such as 'Disk', 'Wheel', 'Tri-lobe' etc. (Since I assume that's the part of the typology fysaga was refering to, as the general types are pretty much just x through xiia)....
I don't really care about what names you use as long as it's actually names and not just Type CLXVII... That sort of classification is fine for historical reasons. But can you imagine two knights sitting in a tavern conversing "And than I pulled out my Type 167..."

The weapons I think the game needs most though are short (cheap) sword alternatives. Proto-falchions, hunting knives, and a few more high-end daggers. Really anything more than the big knife and the fancy basilard ('dagger') we have now. Just because that tactically usefull roll is a little under-represented at the moment.
Also various pole weapons. I'd love to see more variation in those.

i'd like to point out flaw about estonian area- Yur'ev (as you named it) should be named Tartu or Tarbatu, if anything. Speaking of Tarbatu- Tarbatu was old name for Tartu, which means there shouldnt be villages named Tarbatu and Yur'ev at same time as Yurjev is russian name for Tartu.
Oh and in 1200, Tartu (im using modern name just because its shorter to write) was in estonian hands. Only period before livonian war (which started over 300 years later) when russians held Tartu was in 1030-1061, which is 139 years before mod. So please fix that issue
But to sum it up:
*Yu'rev should be named Tarbatu (or Tartu if you feel going with modern name) and be given to Estonian tribes. It should be a fort as well.
*Tarbatu village currently on map should be taken off or renamed

I have a quick question.. Why is it that the Two handed sword has been removed as purchasable in this mod? Thanks for any answers.

Celticfury3 said:
I have a quick question.. Why is it that the Two handed sword has been removed as purchasable in this mod? Thanks for any answers.

I know in the MOD Blue Blood 1184  they made a conscious choice to NOT include two handed swords. 

= Something to the effect of :  "No significant proof that 2 handed swords existed at that time".  

I'm not saying that it's the same case here in E1200.  But I know in my own game here, in addition to working on the tweaks I used Morghs Item editor to adjust Long swords to be gripped similar to Bastard swords.  Meaning one or two handed option.

Also because of what I said earlier, I was very curious about the history of swords so I asked an expert in the field.  MIKE LOADS. 

Here's the thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,251061.0.html

2 cents

No critics, except maybe that I personally will enjoy Byzantium coded also, I type here to offer my help with Balkan history and information if needed of any type (have, let's say "some"nice understandings about local medieval history in general).

skype  :  nosweat_bg

Back
Top Bottom