Suggestions and Critique

Users who are viewing this thread

- About the unique troops - are there any historical, specific troops that would fit the role?
- Thanks for the settlement-names corrections, I'm sure Korinov will find them handy!
- I haven't really played EU (or CK, for that matter) much, so I don't know what banners they have there for the Russians. Nonetheless, here is our research thread for the Russian Principalities, where the banners were made and our Russian researchers seemed to like them. Still, if you have better ones to suggest, we'd certainly consider them.
- The Byzantine Empire will probably be the only faction to be added in the next patch (since it's so big), but are you sure there were Greek and Muslim rebels in Sicily by AD1200? I have to check that one, I guess...
- For the map lag - there are a few ways to "fix" this, though none can really fix this fully. That's due to the mod being so large (so many factions, settlements etc., far more than Native) and Warband being still a not very well optimized game. Still, Subitai has just recently posted a tweak allowing you to reduce the number of bandits on the map and thus seriously reduce the lag as well, which you'll find here.
- IIRC stands for "If I Remember Correctly".

Matiss_Veinbergs said:
Oh, i always gorgot to say that map is glitching up if you soom it out all the way. And theres VERY long transition times between world map, city interfence, dialouge and battle scenes. Is there anyway how to fix it?

My brother had the same problem. It was caused by him playing with "no quitting without saving" which autosaves when you enter towns, battle scenes etc. Try to start a game with quitting without saving enabled.

Matiss_Veinbergs said:
About the place names - in latin written balkan names looked similiar, and i knew that you have kirilic, but my english wasnt sufficent enough to say clearer what i meant.
Curonia:villages: Klaipēda, Palanga, Ārlava, Tārgale
Forts: Grobiņa, Skrunda, Talsi
Towns: Kuldīga (yes, those who live there might be angry about what you did there(i dont live there)(it still exists))
Semigalian territory: villages : koknese (in-game it was kokneyos or something), Dobene, Saule, žagare
Forts: Dobele, Vilce, Saldus
Towns: Tērvete

[eng] at least about Kuldīga - it had been builded after year 1200. To be exact - it had been mentioned for the first time at 1240's so it's correct that it's not in this game. You should check the years of constroction.
[lat] Kuldīga nepastāvēja 1200 gadā. Pirmo reizi Kuldīga tika pieminēta ap 1240 gadu...

Vai tad, es lasīju ka tā bija nozīmīga tirdzniecības pilsēta pat pirms krustnešiem.

Really, i taught it was important trade city even before crusaders.
Also thanks about "fix" for load times, it actually makes sense about it. Its probably just the size of the mod.
But i have a question then - ive played many original m&b mods that covered the europe as well, and probably had even more cities and bandits, then how can this be so... Unstable lets say. If you have original, i siggest you try Europe 1805 II war of the third cialtion, to understand what i mean about it. Its just weird that its betfer stability wise, than a game for what it was huge beta test for.

The noble troop tree for the HRE is a bit weird. Why does the noble have to go through Einschildig (which I had to read up on) and after that Ministerialis ? Going from aspiring noble to unfree Knight does not sound that desireable  :mrgreen:. I would understand if this is for balance purposes but I think there could be more elegant ways to do this troop tree.

The troop tree was designed by Cesar, if I remember correct. I think it is fine, 'Einschildig' is someone who was only 'half a knight' by birth and Ministerialis were not totaly unfree any more in the 13th century in the HRE (only before). In fact they became noble knights through their service for the emperor.
If you gave a precise proposal how that troop tree would be more elegant it might be easier to dicuss. But I guess Korinovs time and will to change that tree after such a long time is pretty limited, if I may warn you.

Please add dynamic troop trees to the in-game menus (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=213497.0). The variety in the troop trees is great, but it's way too much without some kind of guide.

EDIT: Played the mod for about an hour and I love it. I now want the in-game troop trees more than before :smile:.
Also, most of the banners are blank. Obviously you know this, but I think it would be a good use of time to complete the banners as this would require relatively little work for how much better it would make the game. Additionally, there should be an option in the camp menu to stop using a banner (if you have not earned it).

quapitty said:
What do you mean with 'banners are blank'? Do you have a screenshot?
This happens on the campaign map as well as the battle map. I'll get screens of the campaign map with them when I get the chance.
D9EB978A2754CD85E8AC68687CF04F88995EAA0E

77265E14D771849194681EAFC7344ACD8BD5E73C

That is very weird. Did you install any additional mod? Or did you play around with the texture files for the banners?
If you check your texture folder of Warband: Mount&Blade Warband\Textures
, you should find textures for the banners (banner_a.dds to ..._g.dds).
You should as well have banners in your texture folder of Europe 1200: Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\Europe 1200\Textures
(important banners for players are 'banner_p to banner_p10.dds)
Actually it works perfect for me, so I am wondering what may cause that in your case.

quapitty said:
That is very weird. Did you install any additional mod? Or did you play around with the texture files for the banners?
If you check your texture folder of Warband: Mount&Blade Warband\Textures
, you should find textures for the banners (banner_a.dds to ..._g.dds).
You should as well have banners in your texture folder of Europe 1200: Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\Europe 1200\Textures
(important banners for players are 'banner_p to banner_p10.dds)
Actually it works perfect for me, so I am wondering what may cause that in your case.
Ok thanks. Somehow, I don't have any of the banners_a through g. I do have banners_kingdoms_mul through 4, which contain the few banners that do appear correctly in-game, so I must be missing some of the files. This is the second time I downloaded the mod because the first time, there were some files missing. I'll have to try once again when I get home.

I do have banners_p through 10 though. I opened them up just now and the files are intact. In -game, only a few of the player banners are available, the rest are just black. Any idea why this happens?

EDIT: I'm using Linux btw. I haven't had any problems with Vanilla on Linux, but I've heard of there being problems on Linux in the Floris mod.

I can't tell you anything about compatibility to Linux, I am sorry. But I can asure you, I never had a problem with black banners. The banners you are missing are not from Europe 1200 but from Vanilla (Did you really check your Warband texture folder?). So if you see all the correct banners when opening the files with Gimp f.e. you should be able to use them as well in game (though a few are not implemented for coding reasons - none should appear black). So frankly, I do not see how to help you here but it seems like there is some problem, either with your files or with the compatibility to Linux. Sorry.

quapitty said:
I can't tell you anything about compatibility to Linux, I am sorry. But I can asure you, I never had a problem with black banners. The banners you are missing are not from Europe 1200 but from Vanilla (Did you really check your Warband texture folder?). So if you see all the correct banners when opening the files with Gimp f.e. you should be able to use them as well in game (though a few are not implemented for coding reasons - none should appear black). So frankly, I do not see how to help you here but it seems like there is some problem, either with your files or with the compatibility to Linux. Sorry.
I misread your earlier post about the banner files. I did have all of those files originally. I redownloaded the mod anyway to make sure I had all the mod files and I did. How many banners_kingdoms_mul#.dds files am I supposed to have in the mod textures folder? The banners that aren't missing are in those files.
EDIT: In the main menu and loading screens, the "Europe 1200" is upside down as well. IDK if this has anything to do with the banner bug or not.

EDIT 2: I did a quick edit in gimp to the main menu image and it's now upside down too. I'll play around with it a bit and let you know if I figure anything out.

EDIT 3: When I save the main menu image with BC1/DXT1 compression and mipmaps, it works properly. The "Europe 1200" title would probably work if I saved it like this too, but I cannot find the file. Do you (or anyone) know the name and location of that file and/or the other kingdom banners?
Last Edit: I'm going to post in the bug thread about this. I'm pretty sure I'm missing the kingdom banner files as I can't find them anywhere. Thanks for your help.

quapitty said:
The troop tree was designed by Cesar, if I remember correct. I think it is fine, 'Einschildig' is someone who was only 'half a knight' by birth and Ministerialis were not totaly unfree any more in the 13th century in the HRE (only before). In fact they became noble knights through their service for the emperor.
If you gave a precise proposal how that troop tree would be more elegant it might be easier to dicuss. But I guess Korinovs time and will to change that tree after such a long time is pretty limited, if I may warn you.

Well, I didnt have game balance on my mind while writing this. I would propose to make them (ministerialis) a optional branch or altogether new unit, though I dont know how viable this would be. I can fully understand that there is not a big incentive to redo an already finished trooptree. Another suggestion, or question, would be if you guys have plans with the various mountain ranges, making them more "dense", forcing armies through passes instead of how they work right now ? Maybe some new battlemap environments for the alpine parts of the map ? At the moment it makes no difference if play on a flat terrain or in the Alps.

Thank you for the answer.

fysaga said:
quapitty said:

Well, I didnt have game balance on my mind while writing this. I would propose to make them (ministerialis) a optional branch or altogether new unit, though I dont know how viable this would be. I can fully understand that there is not a big incentive to redo an already finished trooptree. Another suggestion, or question, would be if you guys have plans with the various mountain ranges, making them more "dense", forcing armies through passes instead of how they work right now ? Maybe some new battlemap environments for the alpine parts of the map ? At the moment it makes no difference if play on a flat terrain or in the Alps.

Thank you for the answer.
If you are talking about the battle scenes: There are very hilly battlemaps, though not really alpine maybe, but hard enough to play mounted. But it would be kind of unplayable and anachronistic to fight on the Mont Blanc ( :wink:). So normaly you should get very steep terrain when the battle starts in the mountains. I don't know too much about the game mechanics and how these maps are assigned - Korinov will have to answer this. If it is about siege maps - they are assigned individual and there are also enough maps with very steep terrain. Maybe it might help if you remember exactly where you had an unsatisfying match of the map and the battle scene. But still - Korinov has to answer this, if it is about 'terrain only' scenes.
Apart from that you are very welcome to make more custom scenes. If you have questions about that PM me.

for the A Clash Of Kings Mod.(if i'm in the wrong topic please redirect me :p i'm bad at this)
i have an idea that i think will make the mod a lot more fun(if there is already a mod out there with this system please do notify me).

i propose the 'vassal of my vassal system' wich basically enables you to select a vassal to rule over land and other vassal like a king but who still anwsers to you and pays to money.

ex:sad:you can compare this to westeros:the king rules al but has people like tywin lannister and eddard stark to gouvern lands and lords so it's easier for the king).

when i conquered all of essos and wanted to march on westeros, i had to many vassals to keep happy and to many lands to far appart to all defend with 1 marshal and 1 king,if i could name Archon who watched over the free cities for me with all their seperate marshal's i would make a better chance surviving the hunt for the throne since my Archon's would deal with the lord relations and i would only have to keep the archon's happy.

You could command your Archon's to attack specific factions with their so called minor faction to make great wars a bit more organized.
when land gets captured i becomes my duty to say to which Archon's land it gets send or if it gets send to my personal minor kingdom that i rule like 1 of my archons. Unhappy archon's could start a rebellion with other archon'S against me if they aren't happy or 2 archons could start a war inside my kingdom asking others for support to go into a civil war wich i would need to negotiate to an end or you then could replace an Archon.
this would make the conquering of the huga map more possible and more fun because once i get a big kingdom i always have 10 lords to have almost all the land and other to have none because i just can't keep em happy.

this system has a lot more possibilities but i just wanted this wish of mine to get out there so people would talk about it and maybe notify CUZOR(the creator of the ACOK mod)
btw i love the mod so far but i spend my time now doing wars with faction without destroying them and by giving them chances to retaliate so i don't get many lands.

bonavaganza12 said:
for the A Clash Of Kings Mod.(if i'm in the wrong topic please redirect me :p i'm bad at this)
i have an idea that i think will make the mod a lot more fun(if there is already a mod out there with this system please do notify me).

i propose the 'vassal of my vassal system' wich basically enables you to select a vassal to rule over land and other vassal like a king but who still anwsers to you and pays to money.

ex:sad:you can compare this to westeros:the king rules al but has people like tywin lannister and eddard stark to gouvern lands and lords so it's easier for the king).

when i conquered all of essos and wanted to march on westeros, i had to many vassals to keep happy and to many lands to far appart to all defend with 1 marshal and 1 king,if i could name Archon who watched over the free cities for me with all their seperate marshal's i would make a better chance surviving the hunt for the throne since my Archon's would deal with the lord relations and i would only have to keep the archon's happy.

You could command your Archon's to attack specific factions with their so called minor faction to make great wars a bit more organized.
when land gets captured i becomes my duty to say to which Archon's land it gets send or if it gets send to my personal minor kingdom that i rule like 1 of my archons. Unhappy archon's could start a rebellion with other archon'S against me if they aren't happy or 2 archons could start a war inside my kingdom asking others for support to go into a civil war wich i would need to negotiate to an end or you then could replace an Archon.
this would make the conquering of the huga map more possible and more fun because once i get a big kingdom i always have 10 lords to have almost all the land and other to have none because i just can't keep em happy.

this system has a lot more possibilities but i just wanted this wish of mine to get out there so people would talk about it and maybe notify CUZOR(the creator of the ACOK mod)
btw i love the mod so far but i spend my time now doing wars with faction without destroying them and by giving them chances to retaliate so i don't get many lands.

Wrong forum. Here is the correct one: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=194610.0

Although I do love the prospect for a feudal (and non-feudal) hierarchical system, with sub-vassalages etc. Let's hope at least Bannerlord will give us that option, since I presume it would require quite some effort to implement it well enough as a mod in Warband.

I have a few humble suggestions.

First of all, let me say that this mod has many redeeming qualities. Primary among those is, from what I can gather, that it is still being worked on. When I am deciding whether to dl a mod or not and I happen to read that it is no longer being attended to, I won't even bother. So I appreciate and applaud your continued effort.

Now on to "humble" suggestions

1. This mod really needs the ability to trade fiefs.

2. All of the face helms and some weapons like the assegai would look a lot better if you lightened them up a couple of shades. They are so black that it is difficult to even spot them in your inventory. Maybe have them "reflect the light" just enough to have their form become visible.

3. The Knight errant has much better stats than my Norwegian knights but costs much less. I have not checked out the stats on French, German etc knights but just thought I would point it out. I could see how this might be intentional. Norway isn't the first Kingdom one pictures when they think of knights from this time period.

4. I would bet my life this has been mentioned before. Probably over and over. Something really must be done about the way sea travel is available. It's absurd watching everyone changing into ships all over the place. You may want to consider strips of restricted water along the coastlines with water crossings at ports. I have a hunch this might even decrease some of the lag on the overland map. While on the subject of lag on the map, you may also want to consider changing the prosperity system for villages and just getting rid of the traveling villagers all together. This would also surely cut down on traffic and lag.

5. The notes section really needs to be expanded. I have seen other mods that had everyone and everywhere included in the notes despite having far more people/places than native so I know it can be done. Also it would be cool to have people in my faction fe Norway with ages other than 0.

6. A couple of castles I have seen don't match their location. FE, Kirkwall is a Khergit fortress.

7. This is as much a compliment as a suggestion. I can play this mod with absolutely 0 battle lag. Please!!!!!! Keep it that way.

8. Some companions skills don't really match their back story. Roger Godberg is a lame scout and Beatrijs is an incompetent medic.

9. There are maybe 2 or 3 blonde females (and they are married) in the whole of Scandinavia! What gives? I would love to see appearances reflect location more closely. Maybe even have some of them be a bit more attractive. Even native had a couple of cute blonde Nords.

These are just a few for now but I would like to add more later, unless they are not appreciated. Then you can just tell me to screw off and keep my constructive criticisms to my self. My sincere thanks to all concerned.

Adrale said:
These are just a few for now but I would like to add more later, unless they are not appreciated. Then you can just tell me to screw off and keep my constructive criticisms to my self. My sincere thanks to all concerned.
They are certainly appreciated and I personally and particularly agree with your point number 4, which is IMO the biggest issue you've raised.
As for №5, while most other mods have more settlements/characters than Native indeed, consider how many of them have more or as much as E1200. And then see whether they also have that Notes problem. Unfortunately, it's a native limit and while we've considered some potential options for solving it, it's really not that high on our priorities list.

Back
Top Bottom