Suggestions and Critique

Users who are viewing this thread

I've downloaded the last version of Europe 1200 and is really good. Here's some ideas:
.Each region has it's own weather and geographical features (For example, add snow in the baltic regions, add rain and snow, more variety of landscapes).
.The lord's boats should have the flags of that lord's banner (instead of the blue and white striped one)
.Add each faction banner to choose in the game. Example: Each sicilian lord has the same banner but i can't choose it.

Thanks, and still working! It's going pretty well.

jmc96 said:
.The lord's boats should have the flags of that lord's banner (instead of the blue and white striped one)
Hmmm... funny thing - I never cared to notice that.
Interesting.
And it makes sense.

jmc96 said:
.Add each faction banner to choose in the game. Example: Each sicilian lord has the same banner but i can't choose it.
Ah, yes, that's a thing that bothered me as well, but I was always forgetting about it.
For example, if you become a vassal of Galych - a faction that has the same banner for all its Lords, it doesn't make any sense that you can't carry the same symbol as the rest of the faction.
Maybe we can add a feature like this:
- when you start a game, you can choose any banner, except the faction banners
- you can also choose not to have any banner, but...
- ...if you join a faction (while having no banner), you will immediately be awarded with a faction banner, since you can't be a vassal of the faction with no banner at all
- of course, if you wish to choose a different banner than the faction one, you would be able to do that via CAMP MENU
- if you have a faction banner, and decide to leave that faction, the faction banner will be taken away from you

mihailo.razvigor said:
jmc96 said:
Ah, yes, that's a thing that bothered me as well, but I was always forgetting about it.
For example, if you become a vassal of Galych - a faction that has the same banner for all its Lords, it doesn't make any sense that you can't carry the same symbol as the rest of the faction.
- ...if you join a faction (while having no banner), you will immediately be awarded with a faction banner, since you can't be a vassal of the faction with no banner at all
- of course, if you wish to choose a different banner than the faction one, you would be able to do that via CAMP MENU
- if you have a faction banner, and decide to leave that faction, the faction banner will be taken away from you
That I would also love to see. But the problem so far ist, that we would need to implement all faction banners as player banners as well. But those player banner slots are limited unfortunately. So it does not work unless Korinov finds some very clever tricks.
By the way: @ Korinov
Some of the banners are a bit off or distorted on the mesh. I found out how to fix that. Just tell me if you want me to do so. Also Mihailo made some proposition to change the orthodox cross banners a bit. I'd go for it.
More info and example on the distortion:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,279661.msg6933365.html#msg6933365

Sure, would be perfect. Also i think It would be great if there were churches in the cities or somewhere else, where you could ask a bishop or a priest for some quests or other stuff related to religion.

Just two things I would like to see in this great mod
1) Manor system like in 1257AD. I think it'll be great addition
2) City of Caernarfon. Just because Wales doesn't have any cities at all

could you make  western troops more like those http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?640851-Western-Unit-Overhaul-v2-0

Those are some fine images, but I see nothing that we don't already have in our mod.
What exactly did you have in mind?

A question about shield skills in E1200

I had tried to PM this info to Korinov but mabe he's on vacation?
Subitai said:
Please indulge me to read my next interest for helping to improve Europe 1200.  I usually read other mod pages from time to time...to get ideas.  Hence my tweak page  :mrgreen:

In Floris I recently came across something that I had noticed in E1200 but hadn't really done anything about it.  That being that 99.9% of all Lords have "0" shield skill except for the "lord William Marshall" he has shield skill of 8 !!!! (but him alone and nobody else as of Version .22)    A forum member DarkOmegaMK2 over there DID exactly what I had been thinking ... and them some

This is his post to his Mini Mod: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,296500.0.html

In this spoiler is the part specifically what I have done and i'm currently testing.
- This modification attends
Lords don't use shields!: Lords DO have shields in their inventory but they all have a skill of 0, meaning that not only their shields are worthless. in battle, lords are easy as all hell to defeat, which is rather sad, to say the least. (specially during sieges)

- What this thing does:
This thing gives all lords (kings and claimants included) a shield skill of 5. The effects of this is that lords turn into very competent warriors (as they should!). This is the case specially for Sanjar Khan (I refuse to call him Khan Sanjar, by the way.) which becomes so strong that he has been able to resist a fair amount of time in a battle before going down, shields on the lords will make battles surprisingly more challenging.

Of course i'm not stealing DarkOmegaMK2's work... I have only been inspired by it.  Many thanks to him for that. 
But it took me about 2hours  or more to go into the E1200 Troops.txt and manually change each of over 900 entries from "0" to "5" .  I also left the lord William Marshall at 8 shield skill.  I did this to make the game tougher and better for more experienced players. 

If you're interested I can send you my Troops.txt file.  In that file I changed starting from "King pere the Catholic ....to Arwa the Pearled one"  Meaning i've also included the claimants. 

1st,  I created a New troops.txt  (smaller in size only 932 entries for the lords I wanted to change).  I then copied and pasted those edited files OVER the original ones.  I was just using "notepad" but I had to be certain to create the new file under the "UT-8" standard.  It can save you allot of work if you want to add it.    If you're not interested then my apologies for bringing it up. 

2nd,  I wanted to ask your permission if I could make my files public for download on the E1200 thread.  But I would not do so without your consent.

Best to you, "O"

Anyone else interested increasing the shield skills for the majority of lords that have "0"?

Lastly... + 1 to what Executor-64- just suggested above.  I loved Blue Blood...but it's no longer being developed.

I haven't played Floris, but if it makes lords better fighters (like mini-bosses of a sort), then I think it's a fine idea. You might even consider the other battle skills as well, if you find it necessary. :smile:
In that regard, I've wondered - do lords' other non-battle skills have effect in the game? Like trainer, tactics, pathfinding, spotting, leadership etc?

could you increase warhorse armor rating. it's bloody pathetic they're dying like flies and it's not like they're cheap or easy to come by. i think they should have same armor rating as chainmail but that's really up to you.

Hi guys !

I couldn't help myself but notice that you made the city of "Le Mans" a village in your mod, and furthermore a village under dominance of Beaumont casttle.

It really bother me as historically Le Mans was the capital city of the Maine County (including Beaumont, Laval and Mayenne in the mod). Not to mention that Henry II was born in Le Mans !!

Can you please fix this injustice ? ^^

Or at least point me toward a way to do it myself.

Thank you for this mod !

Iltedge said:
Hi guys !

I couldn't help myself but notice that you made the city of "Le Mans" a village in your mod, and furthermore a village under dominance of Beaumont casttle.

It really bother me as historically Le Mans was the capital city of the Maine County (including Beaumont, Laval and Mayenne in the mod). Not to mention that Henry II was born in Le Mans !!

Thank you for this mod !

Game mechanics require there be a balance between castles towns and villages; Most if not all of the settlements on the map were really towns but they were downgraded for gameplay reasons. There's a set of criteria for what will appear as town, castle or village, and the person who did the research for France would be best qualified to tell you why Le Mans is a village.

As for doing it yourself, this is one of those things that's not so easy to do.

Alex_S said:
Iltedge said:
Hi guys !

Thank you for this mod !

Game mechanics require there be a balance between castles towns and villages; Most if not all of the settlements on the map were really towns but they were downgraded for gameplay reasons. There's a set of criteria for what will appear as town, castle or village, and the person who did the research for France would be best qualified to tell you why Le Mans is a village.

As for doing it yourself, this is one of those things that's not so easy to do.

I know about the balance, I don't want to make a city of Le Mans, just make it the castle and Beaumont the village (despite Beaumont's castle still stand proud on his rock ^^). Just a switch is all I ask  (though I don't know how difficult it is to do it).

Hi guys,

I've been playing 1257AD, Brytenwalda and a couple of 15th century mods. Finally, I've decided to try Europe 1200. It is full of clever ideas and promising features - definitely one of my favourite mods! However, it will be really great if you get rid of some ahistorical and highly dubious armour types. For instance, banded armour, studded leather coats and so forth. Yes, I know that the vast cornucopia of leather armour variations is hard to eradicate, but come on - think of it as a pest control. These fantasy leather garments shouldn't plague your wonderful mod any longer! Kick them all out!

Hello, this mod is great but it misses some things in Baltic region.
First of all theres lack of cities and missing 5th tribe - livonians (not mistaken with order)
Second, the place names are wrong. Why you made the names accurate in balkan countries, but couldnt do it Baltic- its almost the same alphabet.
Thirdly curonian skirmisher tree is broken.
Foutly northen baltic tribes should be renamed latgalians.
Fiftly, the banners are wrong - curonians are ok, lithuanians should have theiir grey horsmen, latgalians should have red lion on white background, estonians their three blue lions.
Sixtly, latgalian troop tree misses uiniques.
Sevently curonians never declare war, altough they were very agressive against scandivanians( because of them sweedish old capital was sacked and stockholm was made)
eightly, thank you for your support.

After playing 1257: i taught that mod is gonna be more interesting, but i found that this one is berter quality wise.
I suggest that you lend your map to them.

Forgot to mention - would it be possible to add two new companions. They are based on a story called Lāčplēsis (bearslayer).
There could be obe companion called The dark knight who has background of being northern crusader, and lāčplēsis whp has background of being a tribesman with immersive strength, but then he fought with dark knight and he cut down his bears ears (qhich gave him superhuman strength) and became normal human. Would be interesting to see them two.

Matiss_Veinbergs said:
Hello, this mod is great but it misses some things in Baltic region.
First of all theres lack of cities and missing 5th tribe - livonians (not mistaken with order)
Second, the place names are wrong. Why you made the names accurate in balkan countries, but couldnt do it Baltic- its almost the same alphabet.
Thirdly curonian skirmisher tree is broken.
Foutly northen baltic tribes should be renamed latgalians.
Fiftly, the banners are wrong - curonians are ok, lithuanians should have theiir grey horsmen, latgalians should have red lion on white background, estonians their three blue lions.
Sixtly, latgalian troop tree misses uiniques.
Sevently curonians never declare war, altough they were very agressive against scandivanians( because of them sweedish old capital was sacked and stockholm was made)
eightly, thank you for your support.
1. Missing settlements are an inevitability - even if our map is so very packed with settlements, we still can't really include *all* of them, not even all of the worthy ones. Every faction and region has had to leave some of its historical settlements aside (except for the steppe, maybe - we actually couldn't find enough historical settlements there), it's not something limited to the Baltic area.
2. Well, me and Mihailo are Balkaners and as everyone knows, Balkaners are crazy, obsessive nationalists (I hope the sarcasm is obvious), so we just had to make sure our region's done as best as we can. Btw, most of the Balkans (historically) use the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets, which is hardly the same as the Latin used in the Baltic area (unless we count the Russian use of Cyrillic). :wink: Anyway, if you have some corrections to the names, feel free to share them with us!
3. I'll leave that to Korinov to answer, though it would be good if you could explain in a bit more detail how the tree is broken. Are some of the unit upgrades not working?
4. Here is the research thread we have for the Baltic area, where (IIRC) it was mentioned why the name "Northern Baltic tribes" was chosen. The discussion in particular goes on from the 7th page, I think.
5. The discussion about the banners chosen can be found in that thread as well, in the later pages. Some more famous banners were ruled out, IIRC, because they appeared long after the year 1200.
6. Uniques? What do you mean by uniques?
7. As far as I know, whether a faction declares war often or not is random-based (besides the direct, "logical" factors, of course) and in one gameplay faction A can be very aggressive, while in another - it's very passive. Basically, there's many factors at play, so it's not scripted for one faction to be passive or not.
8. You're welcome!
9. I personally think that the more companions we have, the merrier (I simply love the idea of an army of immortal heroes). Though we already have a bunch of companions we had planned, but we haven't added simply because we don't have the time and/or the inspiration to write their dialogues.

Thank you for answer.
After looking in that post for a brief moment i can say, that you have done good job. Altough istill dont agree with northern baltic tribes banner.
By uniques i mean unique end-tree troops, that are specific to the region. What i would imagine is spearmean - axeman - javeliner hybrid unit for them, that has all those properties, and could go in all dorections, for example:
(not actual unit names)
recruit - footmen - spear - vet - hybrid
  V            V
    V              > > > > > > > >> > >>  axemen - vet - hybrid
Skirmish - javel - vet - hybrid
    V
bow
    V
vet

About the place names - in latin written balkan names looked similiar, and i knew that you have kirilic, but my english wasnt sufficent enough to say clearer what i meant.
Curonia:villages: Klaipēda, Palanga, Ārlava, Tārgale
Forts: Grobiņa, Skrunda, Talsi
Towns: Kuldīga (yes, those who live there might be angry about what you did there(i dont live there)(it still exists))
Semigalian territory: villages : koknese (in-game it was kokneyos or something), Dobene, Saule, žagare
Forts: Dobele, Vilce, Saldus
Towns: Tērvete

This should fix some problems with place names at least on that side.
http://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zemga%C4%BCi Semigalian place names (text only)
http://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kur%C5%A1i#mediaviewer/Att%C4%93ls:Sena_Kursa_13.gs..jpg Curonias map

I hope this helped you.

Also, i would have liked if horsemen units would be in very end of the troop trees, or just be mercenaries, that would even be considiring their eilte status in Baltic. Also, IF there will ever be towns in this region, then in horse markets should be special horse breed, that would be one of the best, but since its in baltic, quite weak, since there was no actual horse there.

The banners of russian principilities are terrible as well, i have to say. Havent you played any europa universalis games?

Also i wonder if youll add Byzantine empire, since it was still big at the time, and some greek rebels in sicilian territory as well as muslim in the same place.

Oh, i always gorgot to say that map is glitching up if you soom it out all the way. And theres VERY long transition times between world map, city interfence, dialouge and battle scenes. Is there anyway how to fix it?

The specfications of alphabet in latvian territry are letters ā, č, ē, ģ, ī, ķ, ļ, ņ, š, ū, ž. No letters q, w, y, x

This should be it for now.

PS what IIRC means

Back
Top Bottom