Combat realism in Brytenwalda the discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi!

The combat realism in Brytenwalda attracted my attention from my first fight.
It seems to me very unrealistic and hollywood-like.
It's a pity because Brytenwala has so many good sides, which make it to an very good mod.

So Idibil allowed me to make an second optional damage-speed-whatsoever system for Brytenwalda.
It will be something like the alternertive weapon_kinds.txt but will go deeper.

The aim of this optional modification to Brytenwalda is to improve realism in mod nothing else!

If you're new to this tread please read the "old thoughts" before. It isn't current, but you get the point there:

Things I thought to change:
(Arguements of others I added in red)

1. Speed:
Weaponspeed in Brytenwalda really looks like such old hollywood films out of the 60ies.
It seems like the swords and axes would weight tons.

Actually speed is a very important factor in combat and because of that every time in history weapons were made
to load fast and to move fast.

Here're some vids so you know what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsbRRVdBuZE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HY28pIHEhk&feature=related

-All in all maybe a bit less than native speed. (native is quite fast)

2.Damage
Ever survived and axe slice through your head?
Well, I hope you never had and wont have this situation in future, but you have to  understand my arguement, that this will probably be deadly. Same with ranged weapons.....

I think you get the point.

-Ranged weapons: just a bit more damage, but less arrows (Bow and Arrow were less effective in the early medieval period)
-Spears should deliver more damage in relation to other weapons. (Now just too weak in relation)

Related to above: Speed/Damage:
Actually the problem seems to lie in the experience system: Low level characters are jus too weak. (They fight like children I'd say :razz:) With later levels combat realism gets better. Because of this just changing the speed and damage would be dangerous. In later levels it could be too fast and too deadly.

What we need is a new leveling system. (low levels are a bit better then before)

3.One-handed or two-handed?
Actually in the early medieval period, in which Brytenwalda takes place, most warriors couldn't afford armor.
So what to do? They used shields to save themselves from arrows, spears and axes and even sometimes a sword.

What if you carry a two handed weapon? You will not be able to carry a shield that's for shure and that means that it is impossible to cover yourself from ranged weapons. In later medieval times platearmors would've done this job, but in 600AD they're not invented yet. That means that one handed weapons must've been widely in use.

Indeed they did.

You won't find a single two handed sword in this period. Two handed axes where infrequent too.

A second thing related to that:
In game we're able to us swords with one and with two hands, but actually there is no place to hold them in two hands!
And thats because, as we know, they were never designed to be held in two hands.

-If there're swords in game that can be possibly welded with two hands, you'll still get the option to.

4.Shields
Here we have got two things too discuss:
1. Shields were the armor of the avarage warrior we allready know. They were so widely used because every warrior could do his "at home" and needn't to buy it from an professional weapon smith.

But why are shields so expensive in game?

-But shields with iron rim are still expensive

2.Out of my own experience I can say, that if you want an big and sturdy shield it will be quite heavy. AgloSaxon Shields where made out of a thin linden wood layer wich was relative light but didn't bear up much damage.
Here is a very good video for those who are interested in shields:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbK7m3w9FXI

So what we need ar two sorts of shields: One that is quite light and fast (as it is in game) but doesn't bear much damage
                                                                  And another that bears much damage, but is quite heavy and slow.

-Small shields are more durable than large ones(I'd say large shields get a bit more health then)

5.Horses
I'm not a horse expert, but I get the illusion, that the horses in game ar a bit slow. Not much but a bit.
Maybe here are some horse experts in forum who can tell more about it.

But remember: The horses in the medieval and more extremely the early medieval period wher smaller (as shown in the game) as the horses today! So we can imagine, that they must have been a bit weaker too!

And another thing:
Horsecharge.
Horsecharge damage is way to little in Mount&Blade.
Now please everyone who was once stamped down by an horse raises his hand.

If you survived and horse just running over you, you had good luck you didn't took instant injouries.
But in game  raising the horsecharge damage to an realistic amount is a bit difficult I can say out of my experience from my own mod. If you make it too high cavalry will just ride down their enemies.

-Adding a bit but not too much would be right.
-Reducing the horse health just a bit (bcause it is right now allready heavilly reduced)
I'll use much less chargedamage on smaller horses like ponies (to simulate shie) and use more chargedamage on big horses like the Ario (to simulate an aggressive charge)

Others:
-Weaponbrakeage, needs actually to get fixed. (Far, far too high now, maybe removing it completely)
-Helmets really need to give more armor.

New Ideas:
-Shieldbash
-Polarm welding system:

I'VE GOT AN IDEA!

I ragged my brain now since the online beta stages of Warband. There I first tried to fight with spear and shield unmounted.
And it was horrible. When the enemy was too close I had no Idea how to create any damage with my spear.

This is an old Mount&Blade problem. So what to do?
I first thougt of an second sting animation, an sting from above the shield, but I have no idea how to animate and this would be defenitly unrealistic. (Only ancient greec used this sting and actually the spear is quite difficult to handle in this position.)

But I got the Idea when lookin today at my inventory and seeing my throwingaxes. If you press x you can use them as a one handed weapon right?

What if you have the same thing with spear? The enemy gets close and you just press x and your caracter will held the spear closer so it has a smaller range!

What do you think about it? 

Just choose the things you want to have changed in gameplay in the way I mentioned. The arguements I noted below them will influence the changes to game too:
Speed: 41votes
Damage: 38votes
1/2handed: 30votes
Shields: 43votes
Horses: 35votes
None: 13votes

New notes for changes:

Speed:
-Weaponspeed will be a bit slower than Warband Native speed

Damage:
-Weapondamage will be close to Warband Native
-Throwing Weapondamage will be way higher.

1/2Handed:
-No more 2-handed axes. (Resizing the existing ones and making them onehanded)
-The 2-handed option for swords will be removed for all swords except longswords

Shields:
-Normal Shields will be cheap, during ironrim shields will be still expencive. (like shields are in Brytenwalda now)
-Much lower health for shields
-Higher armor
-Shieldspeed will be lowered in particular for heavy types for exemple with iron rim

Horses:
-Keeping the horsespeed in general but making it maybe a bit higher
-Lower horsecharge for smaller horses (to simulate shie)
-Higher horsecharge for bigger horses (to simulate a realistic charge)
-Less health for horses (To avoid that horses charge through shieldwalls)
-Troops in game will only use mid type horses (lower horses not adaptable for fight and higher horses too expencive)

Armor:
-General rebalance
-Mainly less strengh required (Still about 8-10 or so for chainmail)
-More armor for Helmets

Shieldbash:
-New option to shieldbash while fighting. This will not bring the enemy down, but stun them.

Polearm welding:
-You get the option to held your polearm closer (with less range) so you can survive an infight with shield and spear.

Removing/fixing/changing the weapon breakage:
-Weapon brakeage in Brytenwalda turned out to be way, way to high.
Now we've got some possiblities:
-Just removing it
-Fixing it, so it doesnt happen that often
-A new system (I was thinking of the system that Rus XIII century uses)

Bows:
-less arrows (about 20-25 or so would be right)
-more damage close to Warband Native but a bit less
-sharing out damage to bow AND arrow. (the arrow is an important part of bowdamage too)
-decrease reload speed slightly
-increase accuracy slightly

Throwing Weapons:
-way more damage
-way less speed
-less accuracy

Thats it so far.
As you want you can discuss about it a bit.
I'll try to do these changes in an optional "add-on" to Brytenwalda with Idibil's admission.

agreed mostly except for the 1h/2h topic.
A real 2h sword like the ones we're able to see in the medieval times which have a length of above 120cm (just the blade!) really can't be found in these times.
But that does tell us in no way that there weren't swords that could wielded by two hands. In fact nearly every longsword in history was called a longsword for its possibility to be wielded by 2 hands (for example the spatha). wielding a sword with 2h wasn't really uncommon. The term bastard sword or Anderthalbhander was invented later and is just a fancy new name for this subclass of longswords.
The "How should I wield this sword 2h?? It's too short!!" issue:
Wrong again! There were some rare swords which got a longer handle to make 2h wielding easier, but the common way to wield a sword 2h in these times was to grab the pommel with the second hand. This way some 2h techniques were even easier to do as with a longer handle. And intentionally or not the second hand on the swords your able to wield both ways in this mod is placed quite exactly at the pommel already^^
Ah and one other thing. In these times ranged weapons weren't nearly as dangerous as you would expect (In some mod here in the forum there was a very interesting discussion about that topic. Can't remember which one atm though). Although shields were common not everyone was only using shields. Also while a shield of wood may have been quite cheap it also offered very few protection. On the other hand any shield reinforced with steel was quite the opposite of cheap. A soldier unable to afford a sword or even some simple steel or iron reinforced armor certainly also was unable to afford a steel/iron reinforced shield.
no offense intended but some things I just cannot accept^^

Life_Erikson said:
1. Speed:
Weaponspeed in Brytenwalda really looks like such old hollywood films out of the 60ies.
It seems like the swords and axes would weight tons.

Loading and swinging could probably afford to be a bit faster.

2.Damage
Ever survived and axe slice through your head?
Well, I hope you never had and wont have this situation in future, but you have to  understand my arguement, that this will probably deadly. Same with ranged weapons.....

I think you get the point.

I don't know that I'd change the damage much,  at a certain point game play trumps realism. 

Actually in the early medieval period, in which Byrtenwalda takes place, most warriors couldn't afford armor.
So what to do? They used shields to save themselves from arrows, spears and axes and even sometimes a sword.

I agree that 2-handed swords probably shouldn't be in game.  They weren't initially, now they are sort of with 1.3.  2 handed dane axes are probably a few hundred years early as well.  I'm fairly indifferent, I just ignore them in game.

4.Shields
Here we have got to things too discuss:
1. Shields were the armor of the avarage warrior we allready know. They were so widely used because every warrior could do his "at home" and needn't to buy it from an professional weapon smith.

So what we need ar two sorts of shields: One that is quite light and fast (as it is in game) but doesn't bear much damage

And another that bears much damage, but is quite heavy and slow.

Completely agree, I'd suggested much the same thing in another thread.  The low end shields would not have held up to multiple axe, spear, sword hits.

5.Horses
I'm not a horse expert, but I get the illusion, that the horses in game ar a bit slow. Not much but a bit.
Maybe here are some horse experts in forum who can tell more about it.

But remember: The horses in the medieval and more extremely the early medieval period wher smaller (as shown in the game) as the horses today! So we can imagine, that they must have been a bit weaker too!

And another thing:
Horsecharge.
Horsecharge damage is way to little in Mount&Blade.
Now please everyone who was once stamped down by an horse raises his hand.

If you survived and horse just running over you, you had good luck you didn't took instant injouries.
But in game  raising the horsecharge damage to an realistic amount is a bit difficult I can say out of my experience from my own mod. I you make it too high chavalry will just ride down their enemies.

Adding a bit but not too much would be right.

I'm certainly no expert either but as I understand it horses in this period were definitely smaller and were not true warhorses.  They were mostly used by nobility for mobility and height on the battle field to better see what was going on, not as heavy cavalry.    I see their speed and charge as more or less right, though there's very little point in anything other than the Heavy Ario once you can afford them.  Some balance of speed vs charge is in order.

As far as charge damage is concerned I consider it a game mechanic that the horses wouldn't really charge through as a trained warhorse, they'd shy away and only give glancing blows. 

Thats it so far.
As you want you can discuss about it a bit.
I'll try to do these changes in an optional "add-on" to Brytenwalda with Idibil's admission.
You can try out and rate it and maybe we will add these changes to standard Brytenwalda next time

Certainly worth trying, if it plays better wonderful.

Maybe I should make a list of your statements/arguements, i think they're quite productive and a list would help to keep the thread clearly arranged.

I'll add a poll for each single topic too.

@Thulgar: I'm quite sceptical about the 2-handed use of early medieval swords. I see no advantage of using an sword, that was generally ment to be used with one hand in 2 hands. Even I don't know any early medieval swords that had a hilt, that was long enough. (I know that it's usual to held a longsword with the second hand at the pommel from my sword fighting association)

Maybe you can give me some examples.  :wink:

But however. Rightnow there're none like that in game. I think....

All good points. This would be great as an added feature. People who want the changes just install these files and those who like it the way it is don't do a thing. I would happily be willing to do some testing if the need arises.

The slow speed of the weapons was something I was worrying about when starting to play this game.  However, a built-in game mechanic is that as Agility and weapon skill increase, so does weapon speed.  So as you become expert in  a weapon, you get faster.  In reality, everyone should be able to swing the weapon very fast.  However, in reality, less skilled people would not be able to ready the next swing easilly... there would be a big delay between swings.  I do not know if this is / can be simulated in game.

I played the El Arte de la Guerra mod a little bit, and I hated how fast horses were.  Whether or not the horse speed is realistic relative to people speed, I think it feels crappy when riding a horse feels more like flying an airplane

Yeah my character is actually quite fast with the axe now. These speeds are scaled to character experience, not one speed fits all. Right now at level 18 im pretty damn quick with the 2h axe, any quicker would be too fast almost, so just something to keep in mind when trying to change things up. Ive played mods that speed things up waaay too fast, and it's awful, so cheesey, so wrong. Go make a lvl 20/25 char with weapon skills in the 150-200 range and see how that compares to your ideal.
With unarmoured guys i kill them in one good hit, and they come fast.

My only complain is damage. I don't mind the speed, but the damage is definetly too low. Not only it takes quite long for my guy to thrust his spear, but he has to stab a shirtless guy about 3 times before he goes down.

Also, thrown weapon damage (mostly javelins) should be increased. A LOT.

Tiberius said:
My only complain is damage. I don't mind the speed, but the damage is definetly too low. Not only it takes quite long for my guy to thrust his spear, but he has to stab a shirtless guy about 3 times before he goes down.

Also, thrown weapon damage (mostly javelins) should be increased. A LOT.
This. Cept the speed thing.

I'll start by saying that sometimes making something more "realistic" actually makes the whole package less realistic. We have a very simplified medieval/dark-age/whatevermod fighting system. Making just a couple of things in it more "realistic" breaks the balance of the large scale picture. For example, a dagger is not less deadly than a sword in a stab. In many situations it is actually MORE deadly than a sword and can by-pass armor - in a grapple fight which the game cannot support.

speed:
I do not mind the slow speeds. I am slow and like to use manual block. A fast speed will at some point force me to use the auto-block - is this more realistic? definitely less gameplay value for me.

damage:
It is not that damage is so low as much as that some armors are too strong for the reduced weapon damage. Troops with shirts die in two sword hits (power strike 5) and no one survives a 2H axe to a helmet-less head. I find the low damage much more challanging because now I often have to exchange blows with the guy infront of me, while in native it is a 1-hit 1-kill fest of who swings the bad-ass axe first.

Damage of arrows is a sensitive issue. Archers in native, especially players/NPC with super high power draw are killing machines. Adding damage will shift a lot more weight towards the archers instead of the infantry, which is not according to the spirit of the period. A small boost in damage is possible, but it must be scaled relative to normal weapons, taking into account that PD has a huge effect on damage (15% vs. 8% of power strike). I'd say that an increase in damage can be accommodated with a corresponding decrease in speed of the bows - more deadly, less arrows.

1H/2H:
I find no reason to have the 2H option, it is silly. ANY weapon can in principle be used 2H, from daggers to hatchets. Should the all get this option? Since it is an option and I do not use it, I do not really mind either way.

shields:
I completely agree about the prices of shields.
One thing that should be fixed is that the durability of small shields should actually be HIGHER than the durability of large shields. A good, not too large shield with an iron rim can be quite durable. These will not be the common, cheap, do-it-yourself shields.

horses
I like the role of cavalry as sweepers that charge at the scattered reinforcements instead of the native tanks that run through 50 troops knocking all of them down. They also seem fast enough. A small increase in horse HP is possible. Nothing about cavalry can be very realistic in the game mechanics anyway.

Usefull critisism I'd say.

I added the most important arrears and positions.

Now I recognize, that weaponspeed/damage are quite difficult because you get faster in later levels.
Maybe this is the point we need to reduce. Nobody, even a Child would swing an axe like the char with level1,
But with later leves combat seems more realistic.

I ask Idibil if it is possible to change there something, because i think that is the point.

I'VE GOT AN IDEA!

I ragged my brain now since the online beta stages of Warband. There I first tried to fight with spear and shield unmounted.
And it was horrible. When the enemy was too close I had no Idea how to create any damage with my spear.

I first thougt of an second sting animation, an sting from above the shield, but I have no idea how to animate and this would be defenitly unrealistic. (Only ancient greec used this sting and actually the spear is quite difficult to handle in this position.)

But I got the Idea when lookin today at my inventory and seeing my throwingaxes. If you press x you can use them as a one handed weapon right?

What if you have the same thing with spear? The enemy gets close and you just press x and your caracter will held the spear closer so it has a smaller range!

What do you think about it?  :grin:

PS: Sorry for the doublepost.  :wink:

Life_Erikson said:
I'VE GOT AN IDEA!

What do you think about it?  :grin:

PS: Sorry for the doublepost.  :wink:
This is a very great idea! You are a genius, touched by Apollo himself. You should even apply this to the actualNative developments, it might even be in Mound and Blade 2! This will really help players who wish to imitate the Greeks. Nice job.

Thank's! But I mean to just hold the spear at an other position: not the greek overhead strike!

I can try out if this works without code and then I really could do some native mod.  :wink:

I think a very interesting thread and I think from here could go a realistic battle system and agreed by all.

I will not comment, because I think you're doing a very important learning exercise for Brytenwalda fans. I will just add historical notes, for add information.

Note 1
Historical reflexion about base actual system:

BRYTENWALDA
Presentation: Historical system battle

The new fight system of BRYTENWALDA is the result of a deep study to reach the maximum offered by the M&B engine.:hmmm:

image-DF38_4BE1929C.jpg

The starting idea was to make the AI an enemy difficult to defeat, and also to make the battles more complex and funnier, not for arcade players but for strategy lovers. We have tried to accomplish these requirements by studying manuals of battles and strategies of the historical period, as well as the different classical sources that make reference to this points. Also we added the "experimental archaelogy" of clanmates and recreation world in the exercise of throwing javelins or using slings. No animal suffered and no public good was damaged during those tests.  :lol:
Marugan06-2500e.jpg

Clan del Cuervo picture: www.clandelcuervo.com

The realism was intended to be the way and the transport, trying to approach us, in the limitations of the engine, to the historical situations of the generals and Lords of War in that period.

Nevertheless, Brytenwalda is based on a time as the seventh century and in a place such as the British Isles, which is well adapted to the system of game Mount & Blade (it's impossible to represent faithfully a battle of ancient times with forces of more than fifteen thousand men on each side) We are talking of meetings of several hundred, and sometimes, rare, a few thousand.
We talked about a fight, direct, bloody and tactical.

image-63A5_4BE1929C.jpg

Features:

In principle the movement of our army will vary much more depending on the terrain, and also depending on the units. A heavy infantry should be very slow, but the light infantry should move quickly and easily.

Each unit has been worked in different aspects. Heavy infantry will behave as heavy infantry, with good defense, but slower in atack and manoeuvring. The same for the rest of units.
The heavy infantry in history has generally been used as an element of shock, with limited tactics. I speak of the heavy infantry especially because at this time it was core of the armies.
His way forward was to advance, throwing javelins or darts, form a shieldwall and charge. Could have a defensive character (hold the enemy while the cavalry, light infantry or other heavy infantry won the flanks of the enemy), or offensive, to fall upon the enemy, collide and bleed. Battles were won for moral, not for causalities, never forget that.

And men were not fighting for hours. A man can fight the maximum pressure a time of 10-15 m, before being exhausted. So there was a relay system for example.

Several parameters have been taken into account, as the lethality and reaction time of each weapon, and they are now different. A knife can be terribly rapid, but not very dangereous, mainly depending on the armour of the enemy unit. It cannot be the same thing trying to trespass a mailchain or gutting an almost nude slinger. Each weapon will give advantages and disadvantages. A heavy sword will give a certain advantage in charge, but is less efficient in close melée fighting. A short sword, on the contrary, is not the best weapon to charge with, but is very lethal in close combat.

Each armour and shield has been also treated with specific stats.

image-A21E_4BE1929C.jpg

image-8B6B_4BE1929C.jpg

Projectile is another point drastically transformed from Brytenwalda. These units are no more machine guns, but the casualties will depend more on the position related to the objective and we have tried to adjust casualties to the data obtained from ancient-medieval battles. They are a good tactical element if used properly, as they can reduce the moral of the enemy, making charges more efficient.

Moral. There are no units without fear, fighting to death. This is very epic but no real at all. In Brytenwalda the soldiers will be hence impredictable. They can fight as lions or, more probably, to rout quickly in a difficult moment. The use of this kind of troops in battle makes necessary a strong organization of our troops.
One of the effects obtained in this way is the possibility of winning the battle in a zone of the battlefield, whereas the other side of your army breaks because you was not able to close lines in due time.
If you want to bring veterans to battle, you will have to invest money (they are expensives), and it is your choice, either less amount of high quality troops or more units full of noob soldiers.

In any case our goal is that the battle will be won by the best general, that knows how to take advantage of his troops, their moral and the terrain in the best way, not by the general with the most powerful army (superhuman units have disappeared ).

We think that the AI is notably improved with those changes, being a harder enemy. However, more tests are needed in this aspect.

Finally another positive point is that we will have the chance of having success with any kind of tactics.

Note 2: Videos Huscarl combat.
Huscarl combat is use for rennactors groups try imitate as much as possible the medieval conditions of combat. There are limitations and security measures, but it is the closest thing to real combat we see in principle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6HWKtri5g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kukdWsu98IU

and preparate combat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpfv_VMaynQ&feature=related

In this other video you can see you can see what is conservative sparring with sticks. Imagine with swords and your life
In single combat, surely a half each blow to millimeter unloads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzHmM22fWk&feature=related

I voted all xcept speed, I think making it close to uber fast native would be unrealistic, and I am fine with the level it is right now. Yet a very slight tweak would do no harm, if we speak of it.

@Life_Erikson    Well, you're right wielding a seax two handed might be quite use- and/or brainless. You asked for an (weapon in this mod)example where gripping the sword at the pommel would make sense? In this mod we have different kinds of longswords (e.g. pictish longsword, spatha or just the plain old longsword). With each of them the handed grip (at the pommel)does make sense and is one of the reasons they are called longswords.
But I have to agree swords with long hilts for a two handed grip are scarce to find in that period

Thulgar said:
@Life_Erikson    Well, you're right wielding a seax two handed might be quite use- and/or brainless. You asked for an (weapon in this mod)example where gripping the sword at the pommel would make sense? In this mod we have different kinds of longswords (e.g. pictish longsword, spatha or just the plain old longsword). With each of them the handed grip (at the pommel)does make sense and is one of the reasons they are called longswords.
But I have to agree swords with long hilts for a two handed grip are scarce to find in that period

Yeah I know what you mean.  :wink:
I've allready added that if the hilt of the sword is long enough so you can easily grap the pommel, you get the option to wheld it in two hands. I'll look for longswords in game and try out how it looks like holding them two-handed.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

King Ragnarok said:
i agree with that, but there is one more thing, shire horses :cool:

That would be really nice!  :grin:
But quite difficult to make.  :lol:
I think we can cross that out, but i still can ask Idibil if something like that is theoreticly convertable.
There we defenitely need to script and I have no experience with C++  :wink:

1. Speed:

I completely agree. Maximum speed was - and is - the key to victory in any fight. It's a simple matter, hurt first, kill first and you'll sustain less damage yourself. Only quality armor can be allowed to slow the combatant down, as it enables him to be hit without taking damage.
While swordspeed is okay, I think axes are somewhat and polearms are way to slow. In generell, a powerfull piercing movement can be done way faster than a strong slice of a blade, in game it's the other way around.

2.Damage

"Ever survived and axe slice through your head?" Nope, and I hope I never will. But neither would I want to survive a slice through the head or the stab of a spear.  Basically a blow to the unarmored head would be instant ko (including most possibly death).

Other than that, any type of weapong could use a small buff.

Related to above: Speed/Damage:

Well a trained warrior could easily cut of a limb with a sword, while a newb would just make a flesh wound. Since warband doesn't support dismemberment, somewhat exessive damage in high levels and with high profiencies (?) isn't that unrealistic.

However, theres another factor for damage that shouldn't be left unattended. Chainmail is efficient against blades, however it's almost useless against piercing weapons or blunt trauma. Meanwhile leather is able to absorb blunt trauma quite well, but is less effective against blades.

I don't really know how armor is used right now, but it would add realism if different armor reacts different.

Every weapon can be wielded with two hands, even an ice pick. However, using it in a way it isn't intended to be used, would mean it can't be used with the same efficiency.

I certainly would like the option to wield ANY weapon either one or two handed, with a heavy speed penalty if not wielded properly, a damage penalty for two-handed weapons wielded with one hand and a damage buff for onehanded weapons wielded with two hands, as it would be in reality.

4.Shields

Signed.

5.Horses

Horses are fast enough I think. And the charging damage shouldn't be overestimated. If you are overrun by a horse, you are ko, well, but most of the time one will instinctively try to evade and be hit by the shoulder of the horse instead of "getting under its hoof". There's still enough power to take your breath and throw you down, but it's not as life threatening as it looks. Actually the damage can be assumed to be lighter than being tackled by a football player. Still, a slight buff won't hurt.

The efficiency of cavalry was due to another point. First they charged in groups, so a man knocked down by the first horse would be trampled by the following, second, and more important, was the momentum and therefore power delivered by a blow from horseback.
A horse in full gallop would add way more damage to an attack than what is applied right now, especially speaking of polearms. A couched lance is the most effective way to use the momentum of a horse, however, even a simple spear will just pierce through anything in its way if powered by a horse. Well, in reality this spear would be lost afterwards, but if you ask me weapon breakage is already way to present.

Back
Top Bottom