The Balance of Power- A short story

Users who are viewing this thread

The Balance of Power
A short story
reynold.png

Here's a little story. It'll take the form of an AAR, but it's just a little side fling, so don't expect me to update it often, if at all.

I'm using the mod 1257 AD

Damage to Player: Normal
Damage to Friends: Normal
Combat AI: Average
Campaign AI: Average
Combat Speed: Normal
Battle Size: 751

Difficulty rating of 105%

The Recapture of Corfe

Part 1: Prologue to War

April 25, 1257

English siege camp, near Corfe Castle

I am Reynold. I am a mercenary captain in service to King Henry III of England. I hail from the towne of Bristol, where I have spent most of my life growing up. After my family died, I left England in search of adventure. But, seing the recent gains of the French against my countrymen in Aquitane with the capture of Bordeaux , my sense of duty and patriotism called. I decided to give up the life of a buisnessman in Spain, and try my luck as a soldier of fortune. For someone of common birth, I could only lead a war party of my own as a mercenary captain. So I gathered my small band of soldiers, and made my way to England. There I recruited several levies from the towns and villages, and a few men at arms from the castles. My company consists of mainly raw recruits, and soldiers untested for anything more than a skirmish or two with brigands. The marshall, Prince Edward Langshanks, has decided to lay siege to Corfe Castle, which the French dogs have taken. Its capture has sent a shockwave throughout England, since it is the first successful invasion since the Normans set foot on these shores. The French left it lightly guarded, a mistake we English will make them regret. Our forces number 729 brave Englishmen all. And we will take back what is rightfully ours!

mb6c.jpg

Gameplay Notes
Note that Reynold has been in Europe for a while, and has had the time to prepare himself for a profitable living as a soldier of fortune. He has established a few enterprises in Spain, and a few in England, too.

Current Stats:
mb3o.jpg

Party:
mb9hb.jpg

Part 2: Preparations

April 25, 1257

Tavern at Bristol

Today I led my forces back to Bristol and surrounding villages to resupply. And I am absolutely strapped for cash; I'm down to my last 7 denars. Hopefully my buisness will pay on time today, or my troops will be getting a little antsy. Bartolomeo will probably complain, and have us endure another of his stories as a guardsman in Genoa and how he got paid on time there, and how professional his old unit was, and all that. Besides his little quibbles, he's a good experienced veteran, and a damn good crossbowman. He still speaks with that Italian accent of his.

I've heard reports of a Scottish war patrol terrorizing the countryside, and Prince Edward has dispatched me to deal with them. It's a welcome mission, and a chance to bolster my ranks with more experieced troops. Though, we'll see how much experience my men will get facing Scottish rabble.

We rode out with a patrol sent by Bristol to accompany us. I sent them north of Hereford, while I took my men and swept east, then turned north. The patrol found the enemy first it turns out, and was deperately holding out as they were outnumbered, so I lead my men to support them.

mb7ga.jpg

I arrayed the combined forces on a hill, with archers spread loosely ahead of the infantry. I ordered the cavalry to hold on the slope of another hill, in preparation for a flank attack.

mb8c.jpg

My cavalry move into postition

It was a quick battle, as the disorganized Scottish raiders where quickly cut down with my suprerior tactical manuevering of my horsemen. I lost two recruits. They lost their lives.

I hired some more men from Hereford, and returned to Bristol, where I sit now in the tavern.

Part 3: Night Battle

April 26, 1257

English Siege Camp outside of Corfe Castle

Tonight we take the castle back. For England! Prince Edwards' engineers labored all day to prepare the ladders, and the Prince has decided on a night attack before dawn. I have brought my men, fresh from victory in the field, to join the assault. I am still a nobody, but this battle gives me the opportunity to gain a name for myself. I brought my heavy siege crossbow, and my father's sword, to the assault.

mb10w.jpg

mb11y.jpg

The battle itself lasted only a few minutes, as the French defenders, betrayed by their cowardly lords, were too few to stop the English war machine. I shot a few with my crossbow, but opted to close with the enemy, lest I miss out on a chance for glory! The battle was easy. I pray that future engagements prove to be the same. For now though, I make plans to gather the hosts of England, and march to retake Bordeaux. The balance of power must be restored....

Wow, nice AAR, that first screenshot of the battle against raiders, the one with cavalry moving to flanking position is great, it really feels like an authentic battle. How do you zoom out of the player so far?

unknown3056 Well, it's written as more of a journal of Reynold. But he's not gonna start each entry with 'dear diary', I mean, he is a hardened war veteran after all.......

KingLuke Thanks

othr 751

ntb_15 Via Edit mode

Charlie Brooker absolutely :wink:

Back
Top Bottom