Shadow of the World Tree V1.30 for PWmod 3.5B

Users who are viewing this thread

I was there :grin: Map is great. Much more balanced than "bandit world" of VoS. (still great map Calen Loki :smile:). It seams to have everything that game need. But we have to play it to really see how it works.One more time, give it a go please...

xombie5 said:
UPCOMING MAP - Shadow of the World Tree

% complete - 91%

DOWNLOAD LINK http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VEISMKVQ
or
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2316

version 0.91 released - lacking in eye candy (food on tables etc etc) beta version ... anybody in particular feel like hosting? *wink*
if you do decide to host i highly recomend making the arena a safezone during fights there.
currently overides vanilla oceania - no idea how to change that - has the same settings in scenes.txt so should be alright.

there will be bugs :razz:

Trading routes:

white - buy ale, sell leather 3500, sell velvet 5000 (top left)
blue - buy leather, sell ale 5500, (bottom right)
green - sell leather 2000, sell ale 3500, sell spice 5000 (middle)
red  ( not actually in red - in town) - buy velvet, sell ale 3500, sell spice 6000 (bottom left)
yellow - buy spice, sell ale 4000, sell velvet 7000 (top right)

- all trade goods can be looted at the bandit camp , though all less than the buying price so no exploiting that traders :razz:
awesome! cool its out now :razz:

Well - it was hosted on the RRC server for about 15 minutes before being polled out , about 6 people (not including myself) were there at its peak xD epic failure on leroys behalf );

I've looked at your map, but I'm too tired (after day with hand-held excavator and man-propelled universal transporting vehicle:wink:) to upload images and giving detailed suggestion now. Overall layout is very nice, but you should work with terrain elevation and textures a bit (I know that M&B terrain editor sucks hard, but we have to live with it...)

CalenLoki just quick question: would you do terrain first(I mean on whole map) before going to details(buildings and staff)or is better to do section by section...(terrain editor really sucks :wink:)

Terrain first. Of course you don't have to make it fully detailed at the beginning, but basic +- terrain height.

Suggestion for SotWT (with screenshots)
Textures
  -if you have absolutely hidden terrain somewhere, don't use grass for it, because grass spawn plants, which a) decrease FPS and b) can appear inside tunnels
mb1h.jpg
  -avoid situations like this. Such hard border is caused by pacing some texture on the basic, unchanged map texture. To avoid that I paint whole map with turf at the beginning of scening, but it's also possible to do it later, on small area.
mb2ju.jpg
  -when placing valley_rock_xx as cave wall, it's good to use gray_stone texture around - transition between prop and terrain is softer, a bit less visible
mb7x.jpg
  -IMO placing grass and snow so close to each other looks somehow wrong...
mb13y.jpg
Terrain
  -smooth is your friend - making so vertical terrain stretch texture too much
mb3l.jpg
  -if you want to create single big rock than props are much better than terrain.
mb6bp.jpg

mb12r.jpg
  -no river create such bottom - mountain rivers flow to fast to be that deep and lowlands river are filled with mud...
mb14qd.jpg
Props
  -multiple times same issue - revealing prop interiors below water level
mb15g.jpg

mb11rt.jpg

mb10t.jpg

mb9b.jpg
  -avoid using absolutely useless props, especially those highpoly
mb8t.jpg
  -never show prop interiors (like houses bottom) unless it serve some purpose (like cave spawn)
mb4z.jpg
  -wall_way have pillars for some reason - try to base them on something more solid than air
mb5b.jpg

And small tip that I find very useful - in edit mode, while holding "W" tap some other direction button several times ("E" for example) - You'll speed up multiple times.

Hope I helped :wink:

ok, a couple of guys wanted to play it today and its on now so my rejection sadness is somewhat lessened xD

EDIT: not 10 seconds after i post this does it get poll changed back xD oh the irony..

Leroy..... :wink:
I like you map but you need calm down. I have been leveling my one for last two days.I am sick and tired of it but I will not give up.
I am sure your map will come up eventually.Just wait for it.
Good luck.
I go and play now as I was not for last few days....Map can wait and there is no reason to rush it...

CalenLoki thanks for critics of Leroy map.It help me a lot.If you do not mind I would like to start tread about map making(not in forge as it will be about PW only).I would like to use your post to start and fill it with question which experience map makers can answer if they will find time to do so.
If you know about tread which is allready in forum let me know.I waste plenty of time looking for one.
I start from zero so my map making(and my question) could be helpfull for any beginner

Sure :wink: Don't forget about links to basic (not only PW) scening guides and to PW maps threads - those are places from where I've learned most things.

I never got to test Leroy's map :sad:

NOVICIUS please use spaces after periods. I was about to shoot myself in the head when i was reading your post on here. If you don't i know what you think of me XD

CalenLoki said:
Sure :wink: Don't forget about links to basic (not only PW) scening guides and to PW maps threads - those are places from where I've learned most things.
Please give me this links :eek: :idea: please, please, please....I was looking, seriously. I am just rubbish with looking for things it seams  :mrgreen:
Splintert said:
I never got to test Leroy's map :sad:

NOVICIUS please use spaces after periods. I was about to shoot myself in the head when i was reading your post on here. If you don't i know what you think of me XD

It is sometimes on RCC but it is quickly change. Even it is not perfect I believe we should give it a go as only map... lets say in Mondays and Tuesdays...It would help Leroy to improve it. I am still leveling so I know(now) how much work it is to make a map.
Putting on, it would be saying thank you for the effort.

I am sorry Splinter. I will try to remember. Nobody is perfect: "...when i was reading your post...", "If you don't i know what you think of me" ... apart of NObody of course :wink:

Create thread first, I'll find and post links there (after I'll find them again)

PW maps:
Temuzu's first map - It inspired me to make big town with severs. it also teach "why should I upload map every day"
Chuck's map (also known as first 22nd map) overwiew and discussion
Second Temuzu's map
Doma's map - very nice looking map (beside tower of compensation) I've never tested it, but there's rumours that it eats weaker computers alive....
Tractor's map
Plazek's map (also known as second 22nd map)
Nobody's maps (1 and 2)
Shadow of the World Tree (by Leroy
Valley of Swamps (by me)
Valley of Swamps (RCC modification)
YetToBeNamed (by me)

PW map ideas:
Chinky idea - just found it while searching for maps - looks like I wasn't only one who thought about "single castle and unique weapon marketplaces"
moar ideas
and again...

For PW guide - list of PW unique usable scene props:
CalenLoki said:
About guides for mapmakers - I think that list of all usable objects should be enough. Because devs are working hard on new features, I'll try to list all objects. Correct me if I'm wrong or if I miss something.
-ale_mine - you can buy ale here. cost=0 time=? spawn=ale
-ale_sell - you can sell ale here.  reward=5000 time=? spawn=gold token
-bank_bronze1
-bank_bronze2
-bank_gold1
-bank_gold2
-bank_silver1
-bank_silver2
-iron_mine
-leather_mine
-leather_sell
-stash_ale1
-stash_iron1
-stash_leather1
-stash_velvet1
-stockpile_iron1
-tbfc_<weapon_name>
-tbfc_bed_heal
-tbfc_bed_heal2
-tbfc_flag_<colour>
-thfc_gold_chest0
-thfc_gold_chest1
-thfc_gold_chest2
-tbfs_horse_<horse_name>
-tbfc_horse_trough_heal
-tbfc_iron_resource0
-tbfc_iron_resource1
-tbfc_iron_resource2
-velvet_mine
-velvet_sell

It's just a list, but it would be nice if somebody could fill it with explanations like two first examples...

EDIT: question - which .sco file (in "SceneObj" folder) is vanilla map? and what name does it use in scenes.txt?
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,129436.0.html some scening knowledge

Moar soon

Sorry Leroy for spamming your thread :wink:

Suggestions to greatly improve your map - I actually reccomend you restart it.

Have distance between villages and towns and other villages - the nearest village to the town is 10 seconds, and the ideal should be 1 - 2 mins.
Plan out you map and distance, if you really want to be precise, put a timer on and time the distance from x to y and mark them in edit mode.
I think your map is good, but the distance spoils it.
The arabic village and the town is a good distance, so look for having a distance like that between them.
Fill up the space between x and y, by putting hills and fields and even trees.

I have plenty of other suggestions, if you wish to know them.

N0body said:
Suggestions to greatly improve your map - I actually reccomend you restart it.

Have distance between villages and towns and other villages - the nearest village to the town is 10 seconds, and the ideal should be 1 - 2 mins.
Plan out you map and distance, if you really want to be precise, put a timer on and time the distance from x to y and mark them in edit mode.
I think your map is good, but the distance spoils it.
The arabic village and the town is a good distance, so look for having a distance like that between them.
Fill up the space between x and y, by putting hills and fields and even trees.

I have plenty of other suggestions, if you wish to know them.

thankyou very much :grin:

currently trying to increase travel times - but i still think blue and red are fairly ok with their distance- no trade items go between them , and red castle is actually at the back of the town - the town itself was designed for the town watch (which is why i didnt put any red banners in there). i would restart it but it took alot longer to get this far in than youd think xD

Hope that's the right thread to post in...

As the most regular RCC PWMOD players might know, the server has Leroy's map running today for some hours. I was there and I saw the map the first time.
So, what can I say about it...?

At first, I think the map is well-made. I saw some flying trees and some of the mountains looked a bit unrealistic in shape, but that is nothing to complain about.
I really liked the most of it. I liked the giant tree and specially the tree house attached to it, I liked the big town, also the small town in the "desert", the big fortress in the snowy mountains... well, I did not see all, the maps were changing horribly fast because it looked like one half of the server wanted Valley of Swamps back and the other half wanted to stay.
What I also liked were the many details. I saw skeletons in cages (and not in cages) at nice locations, some really mighty swords sticking in big stone plates, also some tombs behind trees and small camps with fireplaces in the landscape.
I could continue praising the map, there were other nice things, too, but I want to point out why I, regardless of the coolness of the map, like Valley of Swamps more.

The first thing is a personal thing. The map is too flat. Sometimes it looked like the objects and places were put randomly onto this big, flat area to fill it. Valley of Swamps, on the other hand, looks more well thought out and much more realistic.
Also, the map is MUCH too big. The most time there are maybe 20, 30 players on the server, on weekends and in good times 50, maybe 60 (as I experienced, maybe other players wouldn't agree with me). Even for 60 people or more it looked way too big, but for 20 or 30 it would be like putting some ants into the middle of a sandpit and let them try to find their way out...

Hmm... now it sounds like I don't like the map at all... don't get me wrong Leroy, if this map would be the only PW-mod map I know, I wouldn't complain and just play it, but compared with Valley of Swamps (which is, of course, also not perfect) it looses for me, and it will always loose, even when you make it smaller and more realistic-looking. It's still well-made (as far as I can say, I'm really not an expert), but it doesn't get me in a way like VoS does, sorry.

I would not mind if the map is running on the server some times, maybe 1 or 2 hours in the evening and morning or something like that, but all the time (or at least more than VoS)? Sorry, not for me. Of course I would continue playing when N0body decides that this map is the new "main map" of the RCC server, this mod is too awesome to quit it, but I wouldn't be happy with it.

As I said, don't get me wrong, I still think the map is well-made. Most of my complains may be personal and other people will think completely different.
You are a good mapper Leroy and I would like to see what you will do with this map and what your future projects will be. Keep up the good work. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom