What do you like/dislike about this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Love: horse combat, the scope of the battles. I'll admit I only bought the game because it was on sale, and wouldn't even have bothered had I known in advance it was not high fantasy, without magic... and next thing I know, I have put more than 150 hours into it, without even touching a single mod.
Speaking of mods, haven't tried any, but the range of available ones is incredible. I like this high level of customizability, I believe it adds a whole lot to the game.

Hate: Vassals relationship when king of own faction. I manage to conquer new fiefs without their help, and I get a huge decrease in relations with mostly anyone when I assign it. They would expect EVERY fief to be given to them or their close friends, which is, well, stupid. They are incapable of defending their property, and get angry with ME when they are defeated. If they are caught, they get progressively more angry with me again, unless I manage to free them.
Unfortunately this is a game breaker for me. I'm tired of being insulted by my nobles, and of being able to raise 300 men as a marshal when I'm particularly lucky. How can the AI raise 1500+ men, if I keep beating them? Their morale should drop to zero- and they should be as resentful to their king as my subjects are to me.
Unfortunately, this is a game breaker for me: it's taking out all the fun, especially when 75% of the world is at war with my kingdom. I just can't be everywhere at the same time, pulling vassals out of trouble, I would expect them to be a bit more autonomous. A real pity  :sad:

Yep, thanks, I had read about various solutions before posting, one of which only implies changing a few numeric values inside a text file. Problem is, I would feel like a cheater - irrational, I know, but the game I'd beat would no longer be M&B:W, but something else. So I just thought I'd post my musings in this thread, with no hard feelings for the dev team :wink:

For me it's pretty simple.
I like RPGs.
I like strategy games but without too much hassle.
So this is pretty win.
:mrgreen:

I like the gameplay, ever since Dungeon Keeper I've had a serious hard on for anything that lets me recruit men and then run around stabbing the crap out of everything.

I dislike the lack of torture chambers and beetles.

Realistic, entertaining combat. Also the only game I've ever seen to pull off mounted combat properly.
Combines action-adventure with strategy-tactics.
Dynamic world. Whether or not you actually get involved in the politics of the game, the world changes around you. Makes for HUGE replayability.
It's a game of skill. Too many games these days get dumbed down to "be more accessible". M&B is brutal to new players; if you want to get better, you need to learn how to play it properly.
Great community and mods. 'nuff said.
Developers care about what that players want, and not just their next paycheck.

Dislikes:
Can be a bit too sandbox at times. I'm not saying the game should slap you in the face with a quest you have to do, but a bit more unique content and depth would be nice.
While a good combat game, strategy is a little lacking, especially in the a.i.
The a.i. sometimes makes REALLY stupid decisions that make no sense.
The game punishes you for succeeding; morale penalty for large armies, tax ineffeciency and drops in relations with vassals if king. Some mods fix this though.
Endgame gets a little dull. Maybe add in something to keep it interesting. Not sure what exactly.

I like:
- Freedom to do what you like, unique gameplay each time.
- Real time, reflex and skill based fights.
- Huge battles that rush your adrenaline.
- A horse feature which is unique.
- Graphics which also are working for older computers.

I dislike:
- A bit buggy at times.
- There should be more variety of quests, which go in series, like the merchant quests. Different people with different problems.
- The AI is dumb strategy-wise.
- The lack of commands, you can't flank your enemy, or do pike formations that defeat cavalry.
- Making your own faction doesn't make it unique, you have either swadian cavalry, or some troops of other factions.

________

And what i really hope for: A huge massive mmorpg, with a world that changes all the time.

Dis-i-like:
Big battles
Medieval age
No guns
Multiplayer
Option to play Dx7
OP Crossbowmen
Catching Music
Cool Town, Castle and Village scenes
Mods
Dislike:
Ugly enviorments
Dumb players
Dumb AI
Everybody go with knights
Unbalanced auto calculate
Same conversations all the time
As i said, Knights
Sieges suck

@stormwizzy - "You can ride horses and fight with them"- I do see most people in multiplayer who just like to kill roaming horses.  :lol:

Occam said:
I like how well-balanced the weapon choices are...there are lots of good ones so it comes down to, do you want to trade a little more damage for a little more reach or a little more speed or a little better look etc.
Yep, definitely this.

Thailand Express said:
One more dislike

That you get a morale penalty the larger group. We already get penalties in food comsumtion and in pay. Why morale? I think that if the game wants smaller groups there should be some other mechanism to do it. If I can afford a larger group, let me have it :smile:
I actually really like this feature, as well as how the game justifies it (something to do with unit cohesion, and how morale =/= happiness). It prevents you from assembling an unbeatable doomstack and actually makes expanding your warband a tradeoff. It also makes enlisting the help of other lords a necessity beyond a certain point. It's just a shame that the strat map AI is so piss-poor.

Blackfish said:
That you get a morale penalty the larger group. We already get penalties in food comsumtion and in pay. Why morale? I think that if the game wants smaller groups there should be some other mechanism to do it. If I can afford a larger group, let me have it :smile:
... It prevents you from assembling an unbeatable doomstack ...
While at the same time, giving AI lords unbeatable doomstacks by ramping up their party size with each level you gain.  Fortunately, TweakMB serves for people like me who don't like that aspect. :grin:

- Hugely freeform sandbox environment
- I can own a castle!
- I can be a medieval vassal!
- I can be a king!
- Fast-paced, satisfying combat system
- Active mod community that lets me edit most of the bits I don't like

Dislikes:

- Level scaling!
- Frustratingly nebulous combat system (goddammit I swung first and I have more reach and a faster weapon how did you hit me?!  :mad: )
- Vassals that act like petulant children squabbling over fiefs
- Seriously guys, stop whining about the fiefs or I'll take them all for myself
- I will turn this kingdom around if you don't knock it off
- Lack of inbuilt formations and AI to take advantage of them makes cavalry overpowered (not that it stops me from using them - gotta defeat those 1,000-man doom armies somehow! :grin:)

The strategy. Oh how I love it. I never been so strategically stimulated by a game.
The detail that goes into forming strategies: which castles to take, which lords to befriend, which troops to field, etc.
The fact that the gameplay changes as you progress, the scope widens, the decisions become more important.
The fact that mods are supported and there are many to choose from.
Diplomacy mod. It's a must-have.
Control over units and battlefield command. Leading troops into battle is awesome.
The way the game is still interesting after more than 100 hours of play time.
Reading about stuff on this forum.
I don't have an issue with the graphics, personally, I think they're fine.
I was actually pretty impressed when I first saw some of the villages and the way the horses kick up dust.
Coming from an independent developer, I think it's a great job.
The fact that the developers continue to support and improve the game.

Dislikes:
Minor bugs, some of which have now been fixed.
Lack of top tier pikemen, although I believe this has been addresed in the Pike and Blade mod.
Terrain generation is often frustrating.
The inability to have a base camp to store troops without joining a faction and getting a castle ( although this does make the game more challenging).
A few other small issues: no openable castle gates, the way that your troops won't move out your way on the siege ladder :smile:
The fact that I keep playing this game when I really should be doing homework.

LBaeldeth said:
Blackfish said:
... It prevents you from assembling an unbeatable doomstack ...
While at the same time, giving AI lords unbeatable doomstacks by ramping up their party size with each level you gain.  Fortunately, TweakMB serves for people like me who don't like that aspect. :grin:
I'm at level 32 (or close) and I haven't seen a massive increase in lord party size.. the largest I've seen is Ragnar's almost 300, but then again the Nords have been biding their time and are arguably the most powerful faction, so...

The level-scaling in M&B doesn't bother me much (I know it's there but I have not noticed it), but then again the game I was playing a lot before M&B was Oblivion, so...  :smile:

--

- the way morale is implemented
- well-balanced weapon choices
- well-balanced factions - all the factions are pretty fun to use
- all the kings and claimants have distinct, interesting personalities (I may hate Harlaus' guts but it definitely adds more flavour to the campaign)
- how companions are implemented in general
- troop upgrades requires some cash (would have preferred it if it cost more, but just having this feature is great)
- fairly intuitive, streamlined stat system
- undemanding graphics

dislikes:

- only five poems to court ladies with, not a lot of flexibility regarding courtship in general and ladies' personalities doesn't seem to affect much (would be awesome if wives actually gave bonuses/penalties - ambitious ones give RTR bonus, being able to have martial ones in party etc.)
- most of the ladies look like bog monsters
- feasts are pretty pathetic
- small battlefield and lack of skirmish command makes commanding horse archers a huge hassle
- travelling from town to town with max prisoners trying to find a goddamn ransom broker
- mercenary career seems more like a stepping-stone than a fleshed-out career path
- no death cam - the way knock-out is implemented is annoying and immersion-breaking (I don't mind getting knocked out often or by random xbow headshots, but this really has to be fixed)
- sieges are strategy-less grind fests

I will talk only about Native Warband, not the mods like the great Diplomacy that are fixing some points.

-----
-Sandbox gameplay.
-Smooth gameplay, in Dx7 you can have a lot of AI fighting without your system being crippled to a crawl, having an epic feel to the battles. Quick loading time really help to stay immersed in the game world.
-Medieval concepts applied to the gameplay, the atmosphere is simply brillant and engaging.
-The controls, they are very good, playing Warband flows very well as the control are never clunky.
-The feel of being really involved in the game and with the lords AI, very few game achieve that.
-Lord AI that make the illusion they seem to really have their own personnality and motives and best of all, it's setup differently at each game
-No restarted new game will play the same, contributing a lot to the immense replayability and fun.
-Marriage cutscene very welcomed.

Do not like
-------------
-The cattle quests, not because of the quest itself, but because of the "push foward" mechanism that is simply not fun when you must lead a cattle through half the map using that system.
-Out of the rare "ambushed" in street and "drunken guy" in tavern, the cities could use more events, same with village in which "ambushed" and "bandit" do not provide enough diversity.
-The big cities and fortress sieges should have the AI attacking/defending at multiple entry points/ladders, it would remove the exploit that allow you as the defender to kill dozen after dozen of invaders by being hidden in a corner, and would remove those big cluster of AI in those ladders that are a pain for the player that try to move with them.
-Dx9 is very ressource demanding as there's not enough effect you can turn off to improve the performance, Dx7 allows for much bigger battlefield and battlesize with good performance.
-Crashing from time to time without really understanding why.
-All important events should have a cutscene like marriage, crushing a kingdom, becoming king of his own kingdom by example. Such important feat feels a bit empty without some cutscene to increase the epic feel of them.

Wished improvement
---------------------------
-more quests to provide even more diversity
-more diplomacy options between lords, wife having a real purpose, more relationship intrigues / war casus belli with concubines/mistresses playing a role like in medieval era.
-the very empty parts of the map that have strictly no point currently, to be filled with something contribute to the game, if not a new kingdom, at least "rogue" nations made of bandits holdings.
-an additional kingdom, either medieval China or Japan inspired to complete the world medieval era feel, maybe located in that big empty part next to Kerghits closed convenientely by boulders or the big empty parts in north of Vaegir by example those zones look out of place due to emptiness.
-Some kind of legacy feeling with the  possibility to have legit and/or bastards sons/daugthers to continue as a new character later in a game world that would have been influenced by your current characters.

And of course, the MUSIC

its the best medieval game music there is, i just wish there was more, so i dont hear the same songs over and over again.

I remember back when there was only one music track, a really long one, that looped endlessly. That was awesome music too, but it's not in the game anymore. :sad:

sandbox game
its super easy to mod this game even i could make my own faction troops once i conquered a fief
the humor of multiplayer
Black armour!! ( only with cheatmenu on)

dislikes
i sometimes dont have a clue of what i should do next
i wish there would be more to a faction then troop tree's

Edit:

Dis-i-like:
Cool graphics
Rhodoks
Throwing my enemies to my dungeons
Fighting that my city will be the richest
Cool lords

Dislike:
Tournaments
Feints are the way to win at MP
Ugly marriage cutscene

I like what i like in mount&blade before warband and i am not sure that word "like" is adequate , i love this game , spent last weekend playing prophecy of Pendor  :mrgreen:

What i dislike in warband is combat , not just mounted , i simply can not play the game because combat sucks , animations and mechanics wise , i also hate fleeing enemies , combat sucks ,crapification of cavalry ( if 1 noob cavalry can not kill 5 veteran infantry troops then why to have any cavalry units in the first place?) , combat sucks , economic system (outside of mods) ,  looting isn't good enough either & finally combat sucks.

I usually play as a horse archer with a spear , you know a lancing spear but more often used to stab people left and right , in original m&b , in warband you can not stab anyone because the PC holds it like a pan , eh and arrows don't go where your arrow points.

Did i said that combat sucks ?

tragos said:
What i dislike in warband is combat , not just mounted , i simply can not play the game because combat sucks , animations and mechanics wise , i also hate fleeing enemies , combat sucks ,crapification of cavalry ( if 1 noob cavalry can not kill 5 veteran infantry troops then why to have any cavalry units in the first place?) , combat sucks , economic system (outside of mods) ,  looting isn't good enough either & finally combat sucks.
...really? I don't like calling troll, but this is kinda obvious.

I also played the original M&B for a while before I got Warband, and it was definitely hard to get used to at first. But once you get past the first few hours Warband's combat is better than 1.011 M&B imo. One of my favourite additions to the combat was the ability to change the direction of your swing from horseback without having to release it, something that wasn't in 1.011 M&B (correct me if I'm wrong). Also the ability to turn javelins into stabby spears in a pinch is pretty cool, though I rarely use it.

If i were to list my likes (and loves) I would probably also find there is a limit to the amount you can write in one post on the taleworlds fourm :grin: It really is endless and the fact that pretty much (I only say pretty much because there might be some things you can't change, but so far there is only one I have come across, dual wielding properly) anything you dislike about the game can be modded, anything you want can be added in. I suppose the one of the few dislikes I have is things can get repetitive but there is always a new mod that will completely overhaul the combat (1866 for example) and you can continue your enjoyment and when you get bored of that then there is a new mod waiting to be downloaded or native seems fun again. Seeing as I have had 400 hours of warband since I bought it and about 200 hours of original m&b and am still thouroughly enjoying it. I am barely beggining to scratch at the surface of the modding and when I get to the stage of calling myself a average modder god knows how many hours I will have then. I can't really complain about anything at all, seeing as I have those 600 hours played and only spent $47AUD I would say I definitely got my moneys worth, and more.....and more. I don't think I have played a game so much before and the fact I often spend more on those other games just brings it into perspective. Though as someone said before the fact that I play m&b sometimes when I should really be doing homework...
And another positive I should mention this forum

Back
Top Bottom