What do you like/dislike about this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

. Fearless .

Regular
Hi all! Having fun conquering territory and making money? I'm in my second playthrough now and there are certainly many things I like and dislike about this game.

Fast load times
I've played games with enormous load times and that's a really big turn-off for me. When I first played this game, I was very impressed to find out how fast it loads throughout the game. Granted, the graphics aren't fantastic, but the battlefields look good enough to me at maximum settings.

Sandbox
There are so many ways to play this game. You could be a vassal of one of the many factions in your first game and then decide to start your own kingdom and take over the entire Calradia in your second. I've heard of people setting up trading enterprises as well, though I've never got to know how it works.

Horseback gameplay
Being able to ride a horse into battle really appealed to me. So far, I've never played any game that featured such in-depth implementation of horses into the game. It'd even be better if there are many more types of horses.

Diverse faction units
Each faction has their own array of units. Because of this, no one faction plays the same as another. This is crucial for replayability value.

Dislikes:

Political system
You got to agree that the system of politics in this game could use a lot of improvement. Most of the time when I call for a campaign as a marshal, hardly anyone turns up. Sometimes when I get busy taking over enemy territory, my controversy shoots up to the maximum limit and I don't get rewarded territory by the king anymore, nor can I ask for any support in getting such rewards. This is utterly ridiculous. Why should I not get rewarded when I'm the one hard at work conquering new territory for the kingdom? Also, without any mods, assigning fiefs to vassals while you're king is such a painful thing to do because your relationship ratings with other vassals plunge if you did not assign that particular fief to them.

These are what I can think of right now. All in all, I'd say that even though this game doesn't feel complete, it totally rocks my world! I've been playing it exclusively since I purchased it a few weeks ago. I really hope that the developers will be able to polish this game further soon. :cool:

You can ride a horse and fight with it.
You can lead your army into battle be it siege or open ground.
That there is a mod system.
Oh as you said, FAST load system :smile:

Dislikes: (My dislikes are lesser then my likes though except for the Mod system... I love that due to the following reasons)
Controversy: - "Congratulations your now the Marshall of the kingdom, every attack by bandits, every pillage against town/fiefs are now on your head. What you wanted fairness and say the fault lies with the lord that has that place?... Nonsense!" (My words)

Courtships: - The ladies could use a little brushing up graphic wise; facial and choice of attire-wise. I mean clearly the garb of leather/fur is for one who likes to ride, not someone who could be a strategical figure or wants power?
I do not know if the ladies give some bonuses if you let one of them be your wife and steward for the city/castle. But the one who likes riding and thinks she is a boy, well she would have been a fun wife to go to war with (as one in your party).
Oh yes, and no possibility to court one of your companions. Ok I might understand this, since your their employer and all, but...

(Now its some time since I played warband, mind, and I have a new computer as well (no saves) so got to get my char up again to the level of Marshall again...)
The system of commanding your lords be you a Marshall or King/Queen, could use some improvements. (Thank goodness for mods)

Improvements to your town/castle/fief:  - Or rather the lack of a lot of things you can build there. Ok your fief is your primary place to recruit soldiers, but your castle could be used as a training place by making a proper barracks and give all garrisoned soldiers within some xp so they could lvl up?

Recruiting new soldiers - Having to run around the map getting new recruits all the time, while the lord just buys them in the castle/city. I mean... come on? Can't I send out some recruiters to nearby villagers for a few days with a sack of gold or something and the soldiers come to me aswell? I got a kingdom to defend! :wink:

Oh... yes, I usually tend to ally myself with Swadia. I dislike the big honcho Harleous, he is far far to fond of putting in feasts when the country is at war.

Wishing for a lot of things that comes from various mods like Prophesy of Pendor, Sword of Damocles,  Brytenwalda...
(Well that was also suggestions, think I'll stop)

Dislikes:
Random crossbow max-range, full speed horse charging headshots. They do like 80 damage and they just plain hurt to watch as your character flops off with a big bolt in his face :sad:
Rhodocks
Nord Warriors dying to looters
Artificial (un)Intelligence
Battle size limit (I know it can be tweaked but it crashes the **** out of my PC, more an issue with hardware than the game)

To be honest, the only thing I can think of that isn't a good thing, is the static landscape.

If you could have a randomly generated landscape (and town economies), then I think the replay-ability would be enhanced.

As far as Politics, you should really look at the Diplomacy mod. Really spices the game up.

Also sucks when you particularly visit one village that repetitively gets bandit infested and the landscape for the bandit battle is really sucky, you starting at the bottom of a massive hill or something for instance.

Mallissin said:
To be honest, the only thing I can think of that isn't a good thing, is the static landscape.

If you could have a randomly generated landscape (and town economies), then I think the replay-ability would be enhanced.

As far as Politics, you should really look at the Diplomacy mod. Really spices the game up.
The Diplomacy mod does not alter the controversy system, unfortunately. However, if you're king and you just conquered a town, you get to choose whether you want to improve relationship ratings with your vassals. This is definitely helpful to some. :cool:

Overall I really like the game, for the same reasons already mentioned and more. What I dislike is the lack of small details and polish. Some of the dislikes already mentioned touch on that, like more indepth economies, different actions between different personality types... More to do when you're not sandboxing around doing your own thing would be nice too.

I like how well-balanced the weapon choices are...there are lots of good ones so it comes down to, do you want to trade a little more damage for a little more reach or a little more speed or a little better look etc.

I hate that the AI thinks 'follow me' means 'get in my way'.
I wish I could kill my own troops...not all the time, just when they run in front of my couched lance grrr.

We can do anything in this game. It is an open-ended game, where we could do anything.

AI is great. Lords come in groups instead of fighting single-handedly.

Easy to mod, and mods are essential to Warband.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Dislikes: :evil:

Animations are not so good. They are good, but can be much better.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hopes:roll:

There will be horse reins and stirrups. I hate to see the rider just sitting on the horse without anything to control.

More weapons and armours.

There are many things to tell, but this will fill the whole forum. So these are my likes and dislikes

Here's what makes M&B my favorite game:

Sandbox: One of the complaints I hear in reviews is that the game basically drops you in with no real direction.  How is this a bad thing? Oblivion, no matter how open it ends up being, still forces you through that stupid dungeon at the start and then attempts to bludgeon you with the main quest (that is, unless you mod it like I did).  Maybe it's because I'm primarily a tabletop gamer, but I really hate railroading. With M&B it's like someone heard my cries.

The combat and weapons: Taleworlds did their homework.  There aren't any crazy-10 foot wide-uber buster swords in this game.  Each weapon and piece of armor looks like something that would have seen use in ye olde days.  The combat is simple, like it would have been back then: no crazy spin moves or anything. 

Then there's mounted combat.  No other game I've played except for Dynasty Warriors attempts it, but Taleworlds did a great job here, too.  I never realized how much fun it would be to charge at someone on a horse and impale them with a really long pointy stick.

Here's what I don't like:

Allied AI stupidity:  I really need to post my shots of this.  I was a mercenary for the Rhodoks, who were at war the Sarranids. They marshal (can't remember who) decides to lead us into a castle in the middle of enemy territory, surrounded by other castles and not far from Shariz, I believe.  We take the castle, and then the entire army just up and leaves, leaving not even a token force behind.  Guess what happened a few days later?

Cattle quests: Even with TweakMB they feel like pointless busywork.  For some reason on my current game it seems to be the only one villages give out.

Overall I enjoy the game but...not unhappy I bought it
Dislikes
The random battle map generator produces landscapes that battles would never take place in. I have humped 60-80lbs up and down hills in Korea for US Army, there is no way 100's of guys carring at least that much are going to fight in some of the terrain generated. This distroys the 'illiusion' of medevil combat at times and is total, without doubt and complete BS.  :evil:

The collison? detection where 2-100's line up inches from each other and can just walk and strike thru others. There needs to be at least a weapons length between soldiers unless in a formation ie pikes, axe or short sword soldiers. Just not enough space in battles

Not enough options for tactics/flexiability in battles

These things maybe the game breaker for me and why I probably wont buy the next installment

Thailand Express said:
The collison? detection where 2-100's line up inches from each other and can just walk and strike thru others. There needs to be at least a weapons length between soldiers unless in a formation ie pikes, axe or short sword soldiers. Just not enough space in battles
This is another reason why I dislike fighting on foot when outnumbered. Enemies are able to join up like a blob and strike with their multiple arms. That's totally screwed up and even destroys any chance of the poor outnumbered soldier winning unless they break up somehow. :mad:

One more dislike

That you get a morale penalty the larger group. We already get penalties in food comsumtion and in pay. Why morale? I think that if the game wants smaller groups there should be some other mechanism to do it. If I can afford a larger group, let me have it :smile:

Thailand Express said:
One more dislike

That you get a morale penalty the larger group. We already get penalties in food comsumtion and in pay. Why morale? I think that if the game wants smaller groups there should be some other mechanism to do it. If I can afford a larger group, let me have it :smile:
Agreed, but at least it is kinda manageable for a 150-strong party.

. Fearless . said:
Agreed, but at least it is kinda manageable for a 150-strong party.

Yes but  :grin: I play using the battle sizer set at 500 and would like to have larger groups. Your right its not that big of a deal, minor even. I guess they get unhappy in larger groups because they dont dig their slit trenches deep enough. ewwww

Like everyone said, sandbox
Companions
Battle system
Variety
Courtship
Economy
Rag-doll
Balance (one of the most realistic games I have ever played, but if it's too realistic, it would kill the game play.)

Dislikes:
Buggy (easy fix though)
Story (though it is a sandbox game, I would like if there was a somewhat deeper story.)
Terrain/landscape
Addictive
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Overall, I love this game. Some things are dull are a tad bit dull, like the graphics (iirc, Armagan purposely made the graphics weak) but I do not really care. They usually do regular changes/tweak and sometimes, add new things, so this game is always improving.

Edit: Sometimes I can never find time to play this game though...

I have many likes and dislikes that similar to those that had been mentioned so i 'll not repeat them here. And those i listed here is my personal opinions. And i have more dislike than like, it make me sound like i am whining, but it simply because i play the game a lot and pay more attention to it feature. And make no mistake, i love this game.

Like:
Good game play and unique style
Very personally character and style of playing
quite realistic combat, and game play, inspire new idea to player (and easy to mod file to help player to satisfy his imagine)
Endless effort and progress to make the game better and better everyday and most importantly, the great mods that many great modder had made and the willingness of sharing codes, exp and ideas from players to the game writer.

Dislike:
The model in the game is not very smooth, especially the female (all the more important since now player can get married)
The battle field is not accurate enough according to the geography of the game map, also it is quite small so it's hard for player to prepare his formation.
AI combat is not very good since troop tend to cluster up to fight (which make it hard to fight when you got press from every direction and doesn't have enough room to swing your weapon)
The pole arm weapons fighting style are not very good, make me feel like it just a very long two hand weapon with different damage type, imagine swinging a 20 feet pike, and some does cutting damage when the weapon itself has only a pointy pike head, not a cutting halberd.
Character reaction in the game is not very logical or make any sense (example: a heavily outnumbered lord when asked to surrender will never surrender and fight until the last man)
Social status change is not applied. When i become king, even the lords under my command call me by name with out the tittle. And the marshal i appointed give me "order" to join his campaign. City and castle guard use the "lord" tittle while i am a king.
Claimant is no longer important now that player can become king, need to improve their role in the game, make them more active (i had mentioned in a suggest in the Privy council)

If they come up with a cool story, but don't beat players over the head with it, the game could be better.  Like, say, some sort of rival that pops up every so often to destroy your business, kidnap your wife, kill you, etc.

Sandbox gameplay
Riding around chopping hacking slashing bashing heads is super fun

Dislikes

Poor endgame due to weak AI and diplomacy.
Punished for being successful ie Tax inefficiency , Rep loss to fief assignment
Random Headshot death from Xbows
Engine could do some work, super steep hills etc.
Economy completely random and makes little sense.

Too lazy to think of them. They outnumber the dislikes though :mrgreen:

Dislikes:
Morale system. This includes party size and the morale penalty for troops when fighting their faction (ie. your sarranid troops get penalty when you're at war with sarranid). Even though the latter is kind realistic, it's rather annoying because it limits what units you can use in war.
Lord relations. Trying to raise your relation with a lord of your faction when you're a lord also can be frustrating because they almost always say the tasks they need completed are not worth the attention of someone of your status. Also, how quickly your relation with a lord can drop when you own a kingdom.
Plate Armor. I usually used this in vanilla M&B to be a walking tank, but in WB they did a horrible job with it because it makes you look fat. I don't want to look overweight when leading my men into battle. If it was the size of vanilla M&B's, then with a bit more detail it wouldn't be so bad.

That's all I can think of right now.

Back
Top Bottom