"Militarily, you're in no position to come to my help"

Users who are viewing this thread

Uther

Knight
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Should I have my whole army with me when trying to recruit lords? Or is it a matter of how many vassals I already have?

That's right kids, you need to have lords, to recruit lords!

That's my understanding of it anyway.  Maybe you can cram 2000 farmers into a castle and then get the lord to join you?

Charlie Brooker said:
That's right kids, you need to have lords, to recruit lords!

That's my understanding of it anyway.  Maybe you can cram 2000 farmers into a castle and then get the lord to join you?

I have a big army in the castle (500+), most top tier troops, but it doesn't seem to help.

It's possible that the lord you're trying to recruit is just in a terrible position if he joins you. Maybe he's surrounded on all sides by potentially hostile opponents, so even with your mega army, he won't feel safe at all.

Code:
	#add up all other centers for the security value
	(try_for_range, ":center", centers_begin, centers_end),
		(neq, ":center", ":base_center"),
		(gt, ":base_center", 0),

(try_begin),
			(is_between, ":center", towns_begin, towns_end),
			(assign, ":weight", 9000),
		(else_try),
			(is_between, ":center", castles_begin, castles_end),
			(assign, ":weight", 6000),
		(else_try),
			(assign, ":weight", 1000),	
		(try_end),

(store_distance_to_party_from_party, ":distance", ":base_center", ":center"),
		(val_add, ":distance", 10),
		(val_div, ":weight", ":distance"),

(store_faction_of_party, ":center_faction", ":center"),

(try_begin),
			(eq, ":center_faction", ":faction"),

(assign, ":faction_has_base", 1),
			(val_add, ":result_for_security", ":weight"),
		(else_try),
			(neq, ":center_faction", ":faction"),
			(store_relation, ":center_relation", ":center_faction", ":faction"),

(try_begin), #potentially hostile center
				(this_or_next|eq, ":liege_is_undeclared_rebel", 1),
					(lt, ":center_relation", 0),
				(val_div, ":weight", 2),
			(else_try), #neutral center
				(val_div, ":weight", 4),
			(try_end),

(val_sub, ":result_for_security", ":weight"),		
		(try_end),
	(try_end),

The system goes down all of the centers in the game, weights them for type (town = 9000, castle = 6000, village = 1000), their distance from the noble's center and who owns them. If their faction owns the center, it's added to the weight but if you own it the weight is divided by 2 and subtracted or divided by 4 and subtracted if owned by another kingdom.

So, yes, taking castles or towns nearby from his faction will help, but taking from a nearby faction could help as well (doubles the weighting removed from his sense of security, from 1/4th to 1/2).

Sadly, it seems like even neighboring factions at war don't add in to the system or the fact you're at war with their faction. Something I hope is added later, since the threat of losing their fief would be much greater.

Mallissin said:
Code:
	#add up all other centers for the security value
	(try_for_range, ":center", centers_begin, centers_end),
		(neq, ":center", ":base_center"),
		(gt, ":base_center", 0),

(try_begin),
			(is_between, ":center", towns_begin, towns_end),
			(assign, ":weight", 9000),
		(else_try),
			(is_between, ":center", castles_begin, castles_end),
			(assign, ":weight", 6000),
		(else_try),
			(assign, ":weight", 1000),	
		(try_end),

(store_distance_to_party_from_party, ":distance", ":base_center", ":center"),
		(val_add, ":distance", 10),

(store_faction_of_party, ":center_faction", ":center"),

(try_begin),
			(eq, ":center_faction", ":faction"),

(assign, ":faction_has_base", 1),
			(val_add, ":result_for_security", ":weight"),
		(else_try),
			(neq, ":center_faction", ":faction"),
			(store_relation, ":center_relation", ":center_faction", ":faction"),

(try_begin), #potentially hostile center
				(this_or_next|eq, ":liege_is_undeclared_rebel", 1),
					(lt, ":center_relation", 0),
				(val_div, ":weight", 2),
			(else_try), #neutral center
				(val_div, ":weight", 4),
			(try_end),

(val_sub, ":result_for_security", ":weight"),		
		(try_end),
	(try_end),

The system goes down all of the centers in the game, weights them for type (town = 9000, castle = 6000, village = 1000), their distance from the noble's center and who owns them. If their faction owns the center, it's added to the weight but if you own it the weight is divided by 2 and subtracted or divided by 4 and subtracted if owned by another kingdom.

So, yes, taking castles or towns nearby from his faction will help, but taking from a nearby faction could help as well (doubles the weighting removed from his sense of security, from 1/4th to 1/2).

Sadly, it seems like even neighboring factions at war don't add in to the system or the fact you're at war with their faction. Something I hope is added later, since the threat of losing their fief would be much greater.

Damn.

On a similar note (and forgive me to the OP for hijacking this thread), what about the 'Find myself in a sea of enemies' response?  I am horrible at deciphering the gobblygook (my word) found in code.

I could take a wild shot in the dark and guess it would be calculated on how many of his Allies armies are out and about vs my Kingdom's Armies (from the same response you'd get when asking one of your Lords how the war is going). ??

It has nothing to do with your army size, nor your power as a Kingdom. Perhaps that type of personality turns the dialog misleaidng; it's clearer with another type of Lord personality that says something like "if I joined you, I'd find myself isolated in a sea of enemies"

It means not only how close he is to your borders, but also how close, or encircled by enemies he is. If you conquer all the land around a lone castle, you'll find that making that guy a vassal is easier; however, if you hold only Khergit lands and try to make a vassal in Yalen, well. It's unlikely to succeed.

The greatest problem I see, is that in many cases the lord I want to recruit only has villages. If they decide to join, the current location of their villages is irrelevant, because they are going to lose these villages anyway. Then this distance to base center thing just becomes laughable.

Back
Top Bottom