• Aye!

Votes: 65 84.4%
  • Aye

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  I thought I'd finally catalogue all the ideas for a new mod I'm making (well, at this point, just
conceptualizing
:razz:) that I have written on a napkin.... Really, what I need community help on is creating
some convincing lore, and to help make up people, places, famous battles, lords and ladies, mercenaries and brigands, bards and ballads.......and quite a bit more. I suck at making up **** like that. So, this thread
is to develop my rather rough concept for a mod, and forge it into a solid idea I can start to do some real
work on. While at the moment this is just a concept, it is a mod I have the skills to materialize (mostly)
and plan on doing. At the very least, it will generate a fairly polished idea someone could adopt, if for
some reason I never finish it. I would like to ask that comments be a little more meaningful than just 'cool
idea, bro'. You are also welcome to hate the idea too...however, I won't give a damn. Also, this is mod is
going to be really off and on, due to RL 'issues'....

And without futher ado, I present

Project Lion

The Lowdown: This is a mod set roughly 71 years after the start date in vanilla Warband, on a world
map focusing on the lands of the Swadians. Swadia is a shadow of her former self, having been eaten away by
the constant wars with neigboring factions. Despite the loss of valuable lands, the lords of Swadia remain
petty, more concerned with feasting than the protection of the kingdom. The city of Uxkhal has broken away
from the Swadians, forming a new city-state and allying with the Rhodoks. Dhirm has only recently managed to
declare open rebellion from the Khergit Horde, and now faces the wrath of the horsemen of the steppe. The
Nords have methodically marched slowly southward, conquering the border castles of Swadia. The Rhodoks have
come down from the highlands and taken the fight to their former overlords, and have carved out a significant
portion of the west of Swadia proper.

The Brief Lowdown: Roughly 71 years after the start date in vanilla warband, the Swadians are nearly
broken beyond repair. Think a little Hundred Years War, mixed in with a bit of war for freedom, with a touch
of Battle of Thermopolyae. Now, you make history. Will you be the savation of the Swadians? Or will you crush
them?

Goals for the Mod:

-A gritty and believable starting scenario
-New, detailed and focused map
-New, but familiar Locations
-New, but familiar Troops
-New Lords
-New models(my modding specialty)

Mod Currently Needs: Creative People to build game lore....

Check out the 'Open Dev Forum' at TWC, located here

The Factions:

Kingdom of Swadia
Kingdom of the Nords
Khergit Horde (or Khanate)
County of Uxkhal
Duchy of Dhirm
Kingdom of Rhodoks

The Map:

Here is a little mock up of the playable area of the map. The current plan is to have a map of this area, but
about the size of the vanilla map.

swadiamap2small.png

This is the approximate distribution of the lands at the start of the game. As you'll notice, several new
towns and castles will have to be created to help fill in 'blank space', as well as create more balance. The
areas not shown controlled will probably end up being extremely bandit infested.

swadiamapfactions.png

Troops:

Mercenaries

Mercs will be quite a bit more varied, with three categories. The 'generic' mec tree will be recruitable in
any town, and similar to the native one with small changes and re-done equipment. There will be a seperate
'caravan guard' line, which will feature inexpensive light cavlary. And finally, each faction will have its
own 'regional' merc tree, recruitable only in their faction's cities. They will act as axillaries in their
kingdom's armies, and make for some new tactical considerations on the part of the player. In addition, since
neither the Vaegirs or Sarranids are featured as faction, they will make an appearance as mercenaries.

King and Marshall Bodyguards

I'd like to include unique 'bodyguard' troop lines for Kings and the Marshall. Their number will be limited,
but these will be the best troops in the game. The trees will be shorter, but the start point will be a near
top tier troop. They will be unique to each faction, and hopefully an element to make reckoning with a king
or marshall solo a bit more hazardous.

Sword Sisters

I plan on expanding the female troop tree a bit, just to mix it up a little. I'd like to include an option
for female player to be able to recruit female peasants directly from villages occasionally.

Troop: Companions

Since this is set 71 years after vanilla, the vanilla companions are all dead by this time. I need some help
reinventing them. The goal is for then to be completely new. I want the player to feel like playing M&B for
the first time, and meeting these new people.
Also, I'd like to make some 'faction specific companions'. Basically, charcaters that you can convince to
join your party, but only availble after you are a member of their faction. Probably'll have them spawned in
either castles or towns.

Feature: Scenes

I plan on creating at least a few new scene props, mostly new fortifications. I'd like castles to be a lot of
fun to siege and explore. I'd like dungeons to be more expansive, as well as arena's. I'd like to make towns
have a trade section, as well as a citadel section, in addition to the actual inside of the castle. Ideally,
I'd like to have new village scenes too, but that is a low prioity for now. Living horses in scenes would
also be nice.

Feature: Sieges

I'd like to allow greater player choice on how to assault the castle/town. For starters, it would be nice to
choose whether to attack with ladders or a siege tower. Maybe even a battering ram. For towns, I'd really
like to make each stage of the fight about the same. Instead of a harrd fight at the walls, then just a
measly fight in the streets and castle, I'd like a hard fight at the walls, then a point where defender's
casualties cause them to fall back to the city, where the second stage of the assualt begins. I'm thinking at
least a defendable choke point(such as an open gateway) would be a nice battle. Finally, I think a castle
hall with the door broken down and the center's last 30 troops or so would be a nice finale. At no point
would the attacker only be taking a handful of elite troops like it currently is in vanilla.

I'd like to make new dungeons, which are larger, and that feature an additional guard to fight in the actual
dungeon scene. To balance this, I'd like to make prison break quests start on the walls (you used a rope to
climb up), with the guards not all charging you at once. (they'd have to see or hear you fighting the prison
guard to become hostile) I'd like the prison break quest to still be challenging, but not so ridiculous. The
emhasis should be on the fight out.

New Location: University

This will be a new place, where you can buy books, and train your companions(for a price, and a lot of time).
I'd like to include some new quests associated with this location. Rewards could be in discounted books, or
even actual books themselves. Hell, maybe this could be an institution established by Jeremus....

The taverns in vanilla are a bit bland. I'd like to make new tavern scences, with a little more 'life'. I'm
definately looking at the Witcher PC game as an inspiration and goal in this area.

Feature: Water Travel
This is really just a feature that'd be nice for the world map tactical considerations, and overall just
'cool'. Fortunately, Ruthven came up with a suave way of doing it, so we'll see.

I'd like to make a new 'fief'--- the port. Essentially hybrid of a village and a town, on the water. From
these locations you'll be able to travel on the water(hopefully). I'd like to have them spawn trade ship
'caravans' which will be the main source of income(and fief taxes). Maybe have a goods merchant in the
settlement too. I really don't want there to be huge garrisons guarding the port(unless the port is also a
city), so I want to limit the number of troops a player can put in garrison at a port they own. One way would
be some sort of garrison cap, or not allowing the player to garrison a port, but instead have an auto
garrison type feature(which would limit player choice).

I'd say that pretty much does it for the concept I have developed so far. (someone should count the number of
times I said 'I'd like' :razz:) I need some help developing NPC's and their stories, that sort of thing. If
anyone wants to put together some reference/concept pics of troops, locations, overall setting, go right
ahead. At the moment, I need creative people to help me build a believable Calradia in 1328 or so. I want
this mod to be something a vast majority of players who enjoy the Single Player Campaign to want to play.

Features and Credits List

This is the current generation of the features list. It is broken up into stuff I know I can do, stuff I'm
pretty sure I can do (with some help), and stuff that would be nice/really cool, but that either I'd have to
invent a script for or someone else would.

Update: Now includes the Features list of the upcoming alpha.

Polished Landscapes
New Loading Screens
Flying Missile Replacer
Panoramic Mod *has a few issues*
Trade is now Intelligence Based, Persuasion is now Charisma based; Prisoner Management is now a party skill
Quick Scene Chooser Implemented
Arch3r's Bridge Battles Implemented

New Characters
New Map
New Items
New Scenes
New Companions
New Troops
Diplomacy Mod
Additional, factional Mercenaries
Unique Crowns for each faction leader

Arch3r's Bridge Battles
Invasion Script
Lumos's Outposts Kit
Ruthven's Water Travel

Torches carried during night battles
More Siege assault choices
King and Marshall unique 'bodyguard troops'
Player Bodyguard troop line
Storage of Horses in Stables

Credits: These are the folks I'd like to thank in advance for the some of the stuff I'll be using.

Special Thanks for help and contributions:

Lueii-lots of help on building the concept, as well as generously allowing the use of stuff from Lions of Calradia
JethroKirby-concept development
Njunja-concept development
Narf of Picklestink-mail texture
CalenLoki-'Spanish Rider' horse obstacle model
Cabra'drin-Prebattle Orders script
Volkodav-Game Lore
Kovas-Some Models from Beer, War, and Teutonic Knights

Included Works
Njunja-Eastern Armor OSP
Narf of Picklestink-Transitional Armor Pack and Plate Armor Pack
gutekfiutek-Polished Landscapes and
Polished Buildings
dejawolf-Medival Helmet Pack and
Viking Model Pack
James-Flying Missile Replacer
Sibylla-Hair Pack
Thick1988-OSP Item Variants
Faradon-Weapon Pack 0.5
Shredzorz-OSP stuffs
TheWitcher and Soil-Panoramic Mod
CptJoker- Real Water Mod
monnikje- Faction Arms Colored Mod
Arch3r- Bridge Battles
saregona- Better Horses Textures
Openshaw- Expanded Horizons

If I left you out of the credits, please let me know!

Eye Candy

Here is some 'concept art' and other miscellaneous stuff. I'll update it later with actual progress shots
when work begins in earnest.

mb76u.jpg

mb72.jpg

mb79.jpg

mb78.jpg

mb75.jpg

mb69.jpg

mb68.jpg

mb67.jpg

mb66.jpg

mb65j.jpg

mb64.jpg

mb38.jpg

mb372.jpg

mb15p.jpg

mb11v.jpg

mb83.jpg

mb19.png

swordsmithy.png

mb88.png

screenshot7222010102028.png

screenshot7212010113540.png

screenshot7212010113653.png

mb74.jpg

mb81.jpg

screenshot7222010111319.png

nordicelitehelmets.jpg

Oh! did I mention that all the noble ladies will not, I repeat not have headgear on. And no, they will not have the play-doh hair either.....

And, some Nordic elite helmet concepts I doodled.....

nordicelitehelmets.jpg

HAHA!  This beats the crap out of Lions of Calradia (Only I can say that!)!  I knew that if anyone could do it it was you!

edit:  LofC seal of approval

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
hmmm need to change my pants now... thank you  :evil:
+1 :grin:
Great idea, I wish you lot and lot of good luck and let's hope you will make this as soon as possible so we can all enjoy it :wink:

What happened to the Vaegirs?

Anyway, just a suggestion - you could put one (and only one) of the original companions in the mod.  Make them really old and useless in combat, but for nostalgia's sake, it would be kinda neat. 

I would probably elect Borcha.  He seems sneaky enough to be able to survive into his hundreds.  He would probably have a lot of high level party skills and would tend to ramble on about that "Merc company leader that did so-and-so 70 odd years ago..."  Maybe he would be really hard to find and/or convince to join up also.

Just my 2 denars.

Best of luck with the mod.

bocharuk said:
What happened to the Vaegirs?

Anyway, just a suggestion - you could put one (and only one) of the original companions in the mod.  Make them really old and useless in combat, but for nostalgia's sake, it would be kinda neat. 

I would probably elect Borcha.  He seems sneaky enough to be able to survive into his hundreds.  He would probably have a lot of high level party skills and would tend to ramble on about that "Merc company leader that did so-and-so 70 odd years ago..."  Maybe he would be really hard to find and/or convince to join up also.

Just my 2 denars.

Best of luck with the mod.

I love this idea :grin:. Either Borcha or the good doc would be a good choice in my opinion.

Hmm....now thats some food for thought on an easter egg. I'll probably make them an NPC you can talk to in some corner of some city. That's a cool idea- I think I'll do it :razz:

The Vaegirs (and Sarranids) will show up as mercs in certain areas, and I may even have a Vaegir invasion force show up if I can script it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom