Do you use throwing weapons in single player?

Do you use throwing weapons in single player?

• Yes.

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • No.

Votes: 57 59.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

. Fearless .

Regular
I don't see any practical use for throwing weapons in single player battles because of its very low ammo count.

Do any of you use them? Please enlighten me.

I use them as a backup weapon - like if I need to kill a Khergit but am not quite fast enough to catch him. In any case I suck at archery anyway, so it's no loss - I'm mainly a melee player.

I used to decc myself out with lance, sword, shield and javelins for killing pesky horse archers or such.

These days though I just strap on a backup shield and find it a far more valuable companion.

nope - doesnt make any sense for me.
I usually kill with one bow-shot - at max 2 shots. So I don't need to have more damage, the only advantage of throwing weapons.

pipehack said:
I usually kill with one bow-shot - at max 2 shots. So I don't need to have more damage, the only advantage of throwing weapons.
?

The big advantages of throwing weapons is that they require only one slot instead of two + you can use them while holding a shield.

Still, I never use them unless I am forced to (tournaments & sneaking into towns)

So far as "power-gaming" they aren't the best option--get a lance, a heavy thick horse/knight shield, a sword of choice, a larger shield, and a tank for a horse and run some people over. Keep a crossbow/steel bolts or bow/arrows on hand for sieges and swap them for the lance and the horse/knight shield and you're set.

But, to try different things...get in a different character, say...they can be fun. I had a Norse infantry build that carried a huscarl shield, a two-handed axe, and two stacks of heavy throwing axes. Two-hander/polearm for 1-hit kills on the head. The throwing axes could be one handed weapons when turtleing was necessary...and then for fast enemies they were good for taking out a horse archers mount or sticking a retreating fool in the back. A good bit of fun, that.

obscure said:
pipehack said:
?

The big advantages of throwing weapons is that they require only one slot instead of two + you can use them while holding a shield.

Still, I never use them unless I am forced to (tournaments & sneaking into towns)

Well - my Companions that do use Throwing weapons use both slots for 2x Trowing Weapons, so I don't really see the big advantage there... they get a shield + weapon of choice and then eigher: bow+arrows, crossbow+bolts or 2 throwing weapons...

I actually don't care much if a lance-using character is suddenly stuck on foot - they don't die anyway, and I can live with him/her beeing knocked out. I never had a battle where it came down to one last man standing - either it's a complete desaster or a complete win. (or at least pretty clear)

Once I get high levels I usually invest a few points into throwing because of how satisfying throwing an axe into someones face is. Also, I roll with huscarls so I can just pick up more off the ground.

Well ive only just started using them and there great against sea raiders specially headhots so there useful. Plus there easy to get kill some taiga bandits or some sea raiders and then headshot plus if you miss pick em up again :razz:

I voted no because usually I don't see the point. I find the small number and range, as well as the inaccuracy unless you sink a load of proficiency points into throwing, makes it not worthwhile.

That being said, I am currently giving throwing axes a second chance, on the basis that if I remember to keep one back I can use it as a hitting axe. So far, I'm not convinced.

Radium86 said:
Once I get high levels I usually invest a few points into throwing because of how satisfying throwing an axe into someones face is. Also, I roll with huscarls so I can just pick up more off the ground.

It's also satisfying to headshot someone with a dagger.

I've never used throwing weapons as I find them useless due to the low number you can carry. However, since I've decided my current character will be wielding a morningstar, shield and some sort of polearm I just might use the last slot for some jarids or something. Or a 2nd shield, haven't decided yet.

Actually, no. I think it's the weakest wepon ever. But it shouldn't desappear. Maybe some special capabilities to add?

They are good on mounted companions with a little 'horse archery,' because they only use up one slot, and when they run out (quickly) it forces the companion back into melee as they switch back to either their lance or short range weapon.

So I guess I use throwing weapons as a way to fool the A.I. into backing off for another charge after the initial impact... and a way of forcing the A.I. companions out of the bigger early melee mobs.

If you're investing highly in ranged weapons (7-10 power draw) - bows are pretty much it.  But around 3-6 power throw, throwing weapons do significantly more damage than any other ranged options.  There is the issue of accuracy and ammo, though, which makes them ideal as a weapon to toss just before engaging in a big melee pit.  If you're just tossing them into the crowd, you can't go wrong.  When you play on foot, and with Nord infantry, it's easy to pick up all of the thrown weapons too.

Though a bow might be a better choice for a more dedicated ranged cavalry unit, I am a big fan of equipping myself with a light lance, shield, long arming sword, and jarids in order to use the jarids to take out fleeing enemy cavalry, or to assassinate strong units early on.  Jarids simply deal massive piercing damage, and you get to keep your shield up to stop any ranged fire you might take while going for the early strike on enemy priority targets.

There's also something to be said for the 'balanced heavy throwing axe,' because when you use one in melee, it's one of the best 'melee pit' weapons out there.  It's very fast, it gets a bonus against shields (though it isn't listed), it has a short range which allows you to side-swing even in cramped situations like sieges, and it deals a good amount of damage.  Perfect for swapping between throwing and meleeing for a turtle-exchange of hits.

I noticed that too actually, when I was making my "shieldwall" character, turns out those throwing axes are beastly little head splitters. Only problem is their short range if you ask me. And of course, the possibility of you not changing properly (it's a bit iffish for me, sometimes it swaps properly, sometimes it doesn't) and getting murdilated by sea raiders eager to drink from your skull.

used them, found them too unreliable high end , ie u have to invest quite abit into them to get them to 1 shot kills but if u are gonna put that much in, why not just chuck it into power draw? Not useful in sieges, if u notice, most hits u get while defending tend to be in your face past the shield. And even a shield hit interrupts your throw. Add in low numbers ( oh wow, 4 ammo, i may get 4 kills compared to 20 on my xbow >.< ) and add in that u can pick up ammo for bows or xbows anyway...

i can safely ignore the throwing weapons feature ingame unless u mod them. Which is a shame, i was always thinking thrown weapons are shield killers, ie u rush into combat , chuck a spear which disables a person shield ( u imagine a shield sticking out of a shield and how impossible it is to use ) and close in .

I'm surprised by the unexpectedly large number of people who voted yes, although it seems novelty is the main reason for using throwing weapons.

My verdict - I shall give it a skip on my new character. I don't feel it's wise to spend so many skill points on something that has short range and extremely low ammo count.

Back
Top Bottom