Tactics on the battlefield

Users who are viewing this thread

well if there based on there real life equivilents

Shieldwall is perfect for against archers, as it lowers the amount of kills as you advance
Wedge is for horsemen, its to 'crack open' enemy lines.

i forget what other formations we have :razz:
remind me and ill tell you what there meant to be for

There's also square and ranks.  The thing I don't get is as soon as I order my soldiers to charge, they abandon their formation.  How do I get cavalry to charge in wedge formation?  How do I get my shieldwall to advance?

td_klondike said:
There's also square and ranks.  The thing I don't get is as soon as I order my soldiers to charge, they abandon their formation.  How do I get cavalry to charge in wedge formation?  How do I get my shieldwall to advance?
For cavalry, I don't know. But for shieldwall, you can order them to advance in formation.

squares?
im sure it wont work how its meant to in real life.

they create like a turtle of spears pointing out all directions so cav cant flank and surround them
normally with archers in the middle

ranks im not sure on though

Ranks are 3 lines of infantry mainly for shields in front and pikemen from the back to thrust their spears

How do I make my troops to attack or move after giving them shieldwall order or forming ranks order? After that thay just stand there like lamas and doing nothing even if I spam charge orders...

1.- keep pressed "F1" key, you'll see a banner behind the cursor. Move the banner where you want the selected troop to go and release it.

2.- The "Charge" order always breaks formation. Just move the formation near the enemy and then order them to charge.

makute said:
1.- keep pressed "F1" key, you'll see a banner behind the cursor. Move the banner where you want the selected troop to go and release it.

2.- The "Charge" order always breaks formation. Just move the formation near the enemy and then order them to charge.
1. You can also use the backspace key and click on the minimap. The current selected troops will move there (you will see their "destination" flag moves on the map).

I think (!) that using cavalry in wedge formation is most efficient if you order them (via the mini map) from one side of the enemy army THROUGH to them to the other side. NPCs attack anyway when getting near enemies. This way, the formation keeps somewhat intact, and the wedge "charges" through the enemy lines and assembles in the back of them (where you ordered them). I used cavalry in vanilla always this way, and it worked great, because they kept more or less a steady line. When ordering them to charge, they actually behave as individuals and break formation (even in vanilla, since the standard "line" is a formation more or less too).

Haven't tried it out myself in Brytenwalda though, since I don't use cavalry in general.

Anyone who tries it can give some feedback if it works.

ranks and shield wall look the same to me. They both stand in 3 lines. I thought that a shield wall is 1 line deep?
Or does it apply some logic like putting only shield guys in the front row when selecting "shield wall", and whatever in front when selecting "rank"?

Phoenix234 said:
squares?
im sure it wont work how its meant to in real life.

they create like a turtle of spears pointing out all directions so cav cant flank and surround them
normally with archers in the middle

ranks im not sure on though

Isn't that more napoleonic? I figured the square was more of a Phalanx, where many spears are able to bear toward the front.

mouthnhoof said:
ranks and shield wall look the same to me. They both stand in 3 lines. I thought that a shield wall is 1 line deep?
Or does it apply some logic like putting only shield guys in the front row when selecting "shield wall", and whatever in front when selecting "rank"?
Same here

Your basic Square Formation was a clever way of defending against Calvary Charges due to the mass of people who were wielding Shield, Spear and Sword. Any horseman who was foolish enough to charge forward would be either stopped by spears poking out towards him on everyside or collide with a shield wall and reenforced backing normally 4 men deep, who would then move forward and around the horseman and begin to attack from all sides and pull him off his horse quite easily. Heck at full charge the chances of the Square breaking was limited due the the horse's willpower dropping as soon as it sees that HUGH pile of solid men... Naturally after the 8th or 9th century where training War Horses properly became more and more frequent the square slowly became less useful when the Horses in their own armour didn't stop charging...

The Wedge is as everyone knows a piercing technique, it is also useful for Infantry against archers when shields are limited due to the fact the smaller front while still full of men allowed them to keep each other safe...

Rank is a clever formation due to the fact that it could include three different and useful unit kinds in one formation who worked together. First was the Sheild, basic defense against both range and melee when it came to it, while the next was normally spear who could strike past their allies. The final was normally either a second row of spear or even archers who would move FORWARD in the formation to become the front row, fire a few rounds as the foes approached before sliding back to the rear when the shields clashed, they would even retreat further and uphill if possible to fire at the rear of the foe's pack while missing their allies with ease. Sadly I doubt that this can be done in MnB...

A tight packed Shieldwall could pretty much defend against everything, done right even horses couldn't get passed. Archers would also be safe behind a shield wall allowing them to fire over safely too. The Shield wall was a basic defensive skill, used to either hold ground or even advance safely, though units move too fast compared to reality due to the fact when moving forward its kinda hard to keep ones shield locked to the man next to you...

Is that all formations???

I just got the mod and I was wondering if it is possible to advance while in shield wall. If yes, can you tell me? When I put them in shield wall and then charge them, the break formation.

J12-19 said:
I just got the mod and I was wondering if it is possible to advance while in shield wall. If yes, can you tell me? When I put them in shield wall and then charge them, the break formation.

Charge and advance are two very different things.
To advance, use the "Forward 10 Paces" command. F2, F1. 
Or, use "hold position over there" by holding F1 down and releasing it with the flag in the distance, marking the point you want the advance to halt.

Caba`drin said:
J12-19 said:

Charge and advance are two very different things.
To advance, use the "Forward 10 Paces" command. F2, F1. 
Or, use "hold position over there" by holding F1 down and releasing it with the flag in the distance, marking the point you want the advance to halt.

Ah, thanks, just what I needed. Much appreciated.

I personally use the shieldwall almost exclusively, without any support. I don't feel like I need it anyway, as the soldiers move at the same speed as with other formations. Perhaps, the shieldwall could be coded so that it limits the movement speed of soldiers? Otherwise, I don't see much reason to use other formations for shielded infantry.

On another note, I was most impressed to see how the shieldwall formation allowed my mid-high tier infantry to overcome a deserter Teulu party almost twice their size. If it weren't for the shieldwall and a tiny hill, my soldiers would be ass-raped.

eveyone in that time used the shield wall exclusively, remember, the tactics in this game are very simple. mass and compact. but its true that the speed should be slower.

change though if modders read - dont know if its possible or just too difficult, shield walls usually have more people in the middle. maybe like 2 or 3, or it could be the opposite, less in middle to encourage the sides to outflank.

wedge formation works against other shield walls too.

remember, bodies are a huge role in an army. you're getting pushed from behind and forced to the front of the shield wall to fill in the gaps. its a mass of bloody death.

im not sure about ingame, since i didnt really see but, if lets say your 60 men are in a shield wall. that would be 20x3 right? and when they die out...to like 30. will they be 10x3? 20and10? or 15x15? and do they change mid battle?

Back
Top Bottom