History Dark Ages: know who they were and how they lived

Users who are viewing this thread

You do know you can read this book online for free on google. Yes, google.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=o5qJGFhsw30C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Kings+and+Kingdoms+of&source=bl&ots=fX1KYHgYi1&sig=lGCVIkq_Rm7JiqjTWeByPwihTv0&hl=en&ei=rjstTcWoDIGs8AbCsOHuCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's not possible to make a realistic currency system for Brytenwalda or even native Warband. The barter system was a major part of the economy, with the weight and composition of coins being the biggest determining factor in their value. So many different types of coin were minted by different rulers that even the most basic exchanges became incredibly complex. This problem wasn't ironed out until much later, in the 1600s-1700s, and even then the barter system was still pretty important. "Tithes" are originally, for example, bags of dried grain given to the church for the churchmen to eat. Taxes were levvied on peasants in much the same way.

Edit: What I should say is that we have to abstract the currency system for any game not based in prettymuch modern times.

Great thread so far. Good historical fiction novels that cover this span of time include Bernard Cornwell's "The Winter King" series. Might help people add some colour to their characters when they think about Brytenwalda.

A really good blog about Early Medieval northern Britain:
http://senchus.wordpress.com/

The author - Tim Clarkson - has written two books, both available on amazon for those interested.

cover.jpg

I have just finished reading this one. This is a really good read about the Northern Britons, over the whole early Medieval period. It is both well-written and well-argued, dealing about the 6th century kings like Urien and Rydderch, the battles of Arderydd and Catraeth, the rise of Northumbria, and the legacy of the kingdom of Alt Cluit/Strathclyde, a forgotten realm where powerful briton kings maintened themselves against Scots, Angles and Vikings alike up to the late 11th century.

pictsrev.jpg

And this is his other book, which have recently beneficited from a 2nd edition. I just ordered it.

This is outside the timeframe but I found it rather interesting:

The complete grave of a Celtic princess has been excavated in southern Germany.
It's 2600 years old and can shed some light on early Celtic culture:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13225829
" ... her grave was dug up in its entirety - all 80 tonnes of it "

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,736942,00.html
" The results of the analysis will be presented in June 2011, researchers said "

" The tomb and the objects are to go on show in an exhibition in Stuttgart in 2012 "

What really scared me after reading a bit more from the stuff in this topic, was to notice how Penda and his Mercia actually ended up becoming the biggest kingdom - and totally crushed the brytenwalda in my game after a hundred days, while I was playing Tristan in Ireland and cornwall.

The AI, my friend...
-Knows it-  :shock:

My family and I were thinking about getting a new dog soon, and I found an Irish Wolfhound pup.  So I decided to do some research on the breed and I found some interesting information about the wolfhound that can be associated with the mod. Apparently the Irish Wolfhound held a very high status in ancient and medieval Ireland. 

Check out this website I found about the breed. Its a interesting read.

http://www.irishwolfhounds.org/history.htm

I remember  I nice drawing from the Slaine comic series where Slaine is sitting on his throne as Irish high king with a big Irish hound sitting next to him. Let me see if I can find in online.

Great dogs to see I love them. If I just had a farm or anything :cry:

found it:
SLAINE_-H-7-_16.jpg

I was just wondering...were spears at the time not used overarm? I read that this was because the face was the most vulnerable part of the body and the goal was to jab the opponent in the eye/face  :grin: was just checking if this is possible thanks.

54491.jpg

http://natgeotv.com/uk/saxon-gold-new-secrets-revealed/galleries/secrets-of-saxon-gold/8

Photos of a documentary about 7th century anglo-saxon culture "Secrets of Saxon Gold".
Several friends of the group Wulfheodenas portrayed :smile:

Hey Morcant,

nice pictures! I was wondering lately, how much would one see through the visors/ facemask often portrayed on saxon and viking helmets (like the Sutton Hoo or Valsgarde helmet)?

I think I would like a helmet like these more in battle, since they would offer a lot more vision. Also you could breath in it I can imagine hehe.

54487.jpg

54485.jpg

greets

Hengwulf said:
Hey Morcant,

nice pictures! I was wondering lately, how much would one see through the visors/ facemask often portrayed on saxon and viking helmets (like the Sutton Hoo or Valsgarde helmet)?

I think I would like a helmet like these more in battle, since they would offer a lot more vision. Also you could breath in it I can imagine hehe.

54487.jpg

54485.jpg

greets

I'm with you there. I hear people talk a lot about the potential usefulness of that ceremonial panoply that gets dug up every now and again. I figure, if kings and nobles did carry them into battle (personally I think they did) they would've been prestige items more than anything. A leader's part in battle is usually minimal, even in those days, I think. Not that they wouldn't have gotten involved in my opinion, it's just that the Jarl and the Carl fight differently, even when on the same fields. Even Brytenwalda logic tells us that a leader would rather be with his bodyguards waiting for an ideal moment to join the battle than leading the men at the front, putting his life on the same level as the lowest among his ranks.

Also, if I was a Dryhten, I'd wear as much ceremonial garb as I could. For every bit more that I appear separate from and above the experiences of the men of my warband, for every ounce of mystery added to my image by the gilded shoulder-thingies and shield adornments, I would seem all the more divinely inspired in my aims, the better the anchor to be for my men. Stirring them to blind fury or restraining them from charging into an ambush, or what have you, I would need these qualities to fill my role effectively, and all that dosh adorning my armor would only exaggerate these qualities.  :wink:

Jarukr_Torfining said:
Hengwulf said:
Hey Morcant,

54487.jpg

54485.jpg

greets

I'm with you there. I hear people talk a lot about the potential usefulness of that ceremonial panoply that gets dug up every now and again. I figure, if kings and nobles did carry them into battle (personally I think they did) they would've been prestige items more than anything. A leader's part in battle is usually minimal, even in those days, I think. Not that they wouldn't have gotten involved in my opinion, it's just that the Jarl and the Carl fight differently, even when on the same fields. Even Brytenwalda logic tells us that a leader would rather be with his bodyguards waiting for an ideal moment to join the battle than leading the men at the front, putting his life on the same level as the lowest among his ranks.

Also, if I was a Dryhten, I'd wear as much ceremonial garb as I could. For every bit more that I appear separate from and above the experiences of the men of my warband, for every ounce of mystery added to my image by the gilded shoulder-thingies and shield adornments, I would seem all the more divinely inspired in my aims, the better the anchor to be for my men. Stirring them to blind fury or restraining them from charging into an ambush, or what have you, I would need these qualities to fill my role effectively, and all that dosh adorning my armor would only exaggerate these qualities.  :wink:

Actually, kings and chieftains were expected to be seen in the fight and to be successful war leaders. They fought, and not only in the last moment. A lot of kings in the period found their death on the battlefield. This is true for most of the early medieval period, and for all cultures involved in Brytenwalda.

Morcant said:
Jarukr_Torfining said:
Hengwulf said:
Hey Morcant,

54487.jpg

54485.jpg

greets

Actually, kings and chieftains were expected to be seen in the fight and to be successful war leaders. They fought, and not only in the last moment. A lot of kings in the period found their death on the battlefield. This is true for most of the early medieval period, and for all cultures involved in Brytenwalda.

sorry to bother again, but it does not solve my question about vision. And I don't own a helmet :sad:

Back
Top Bottom