Caveman paints: Screenshots / art / Signatures / Fan site (new screens and sig)

Users who are viewing this thread

Idibil said:
Post here your character, your favorite battle, your warband wife... post here your screenshoot and let us see your art.

Example send by El-Diablito.
Tittle: Apocalipsis battle (1000 men)

mb37.jpg

now that my friend is some bad graphics XD

El-Diablito said:
motomataru said:
I didn't do much testing for mega-armies, but from what I have seen, formation behavior starts breaking down over 100 troops, specifically on the rotate. I did see the weirdness when the formation ran off the map edge -- it's like someone's position got rotated at the edge, then the whole rank was at an angle to the previous one. I decided it wasn't something high priority, but if everyone's going to start running these mega-battles, perhaps I need to upgrade MY machine... :smile:

Please don't, I feel quite confident that formations in mega-battles would make them laggy. I don't even want to think what would happen if 1.000 troops tried to shield wall across the map...

my comp isnt exactly top of the line however I can handle 1.7k ppl in battle if im running in directx 7...

penquin11 said:
El-Diablito said:
motomataru said:
I didn't do much testing for mega-armies, but from what I have seen, formation behavior starts breaking down over 100 troops, specifically on the rotate. I did see the weirdness when the formation ran off the map edge -- it's like someone's position got rotated at the edge, then the whole rank was at an angle to the previous one. I decided it wasn't something high priority, but if everyone's going to start running these mega-battles, perhaps I need to upgrade MY machine... :smile:

Please don't, I feel quite confident that formations in mega-battles would make them laggy. I don't even want to think what would happen if 1.000 troops tried to shield wall across the map...

my comp isnt exactly top of the line however I can handle 1.7k ppl in battle if im running in directx 7...

It's already a bit buggy in 1k (that's running directx 9).

I've put my gfx settings up to high since that screenshot, still runs fine but frankly I don't really care about gfx. I could probably handle 2k pretty easy if I went directx 7 and low gfx, not much point though.

That's really cool.

It got me thinking this mod needs The King of Swords: the Bamburgh sword
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamburgh_Sword
X-rays of the 7th century sword revealed its blade is made up of six, individual strands of carbonised iron bonded together to form the blade  :eek:

"This is a vastly superior sword which, in its time, would have had serious bling factor.
The importance of this find is akin to the discovery of the weapons from Sutton Hoo."

Very Nice work!!!!! Being a fan of the dark ages i can't do nothing but thank you for making this so real! :grin:

BrustwarzenLenny said:
I still think, they would fit into Brytenwalda :razz:

Do you have a source for lamellar in the British Isles during this period ? I certainly have never heard of it, though there is a theory that lamellar might have been used in Eastern Scandinavia in the late Viking Age there is nothing to confirm it and even if there were - or if you choose to accept mere speculation as accepted for inclusion due to the general lack of sources from the mod's period - it is from a different time and place entirely.

@Skandinav
Do you have a source for lamellar in the British Isles during this period ?

Sure, he have.

Lamellar or lorica squamata is know since ancient times and extended in times of Roman power throughout the empire. By example, Carpow, Scotland, was meet rest of a lorica squamata dated in III century.

Barbarians invasors (jutes, angles and saxons) used it less that britons. Lorica squamata was a armor most easy of do that mail coat, and it let good protection.

Yes I know of earlier examples of scale armor ( and contemporary in the East ) but your mod's setting led me to believe it was maybe based on theorized Viking Age equipment.

And I am not sure if can I agree that a lorica squamata from a legionary vexillation fortress more than 300 years before mod start is enough to conclude that several different peoples of the British Isles ( and not even all indigenous nor from inside the Limes ) used it still, but there are perhaps other, preferably later, finds ( or examples in iconography ) supporting the claim ?
We also have to remember that a find of some scales and a leather backing does not necessarily mean that we are dealing with an actual lorica squamata.

I am not denying it is not possible, but please provide sources if you can, as I've never imagined this was the case myself ( but I'm no expert on the period either ).

Actually,  I have not because done a scientific dissertation aobut this subject. I am quite busy fixing bugs and preparing for version 1.2 to get into these debates.

Now, i dont remmember other example in Britain (I need time that havent for look) but you have lamellar armor is know in merivingian france, and near Germany like you can read in book of M. Martin, Observations sur l´armament de l´epoque mérovingienne précoce.

In late 6th century -7th century, we have Agilulf plaque, of a lombard king, or Isola Rizza dish (lombardic also), where you can see lamellar armor.
You can see alamanicc lamellar armor in model of niederstotzingen, or examples in sarmatians, huns, and visigothics.

mail or lamellar or others armor are difficult to meet, because they was using for generations, or too valuable booty.
Only Byrnie meet is Sutton Hoo by example, and today, everybody say that they had byrnie.

if you wish help like historical advisor, try it here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,136611.0.html

Images
There arent too material in internet

Agilulf plaque
ITLOMOARAGILULF003.jpg

Lamellar types, pre and viking times
http://ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk/images/pic1040.gif

Carolingian
cavalrychesspg0.gif

Back
Top Bottom