New scenes (update 30/12/2011: Saxon Village p. 32)

Users who are viewing this thread

NICE. That tavern especially, I'd love to see more of those insead of your generic Wercheg taverns that are all around South England. Keep up the good work.

Gerard Mulder said:
Beautiful! I like the rammed gate, is it a small opening for 1 man at the time?
Actually there are also ladders leading up and down a shed, and the opening in the gates is big enough for 2 people.

better angle:

Note: This is not the only new scene for v. 1.3. Just thought I'd show some progress  :smile:

Adorno said:
Yes the gate is always open. It's more difficult to defend than a native scene,
since the AI will use both the entrance at the gates and the ladder.

I like that, as a defender its always just Get up on the wall get your sword or axe ready and wait until they come up the ladder two by two. But with this it looks like you cant even defend the ladder point and you will have to defend the gate.

Wow the Cambridge scenes look amazing ! You guys are doing marvelous job on creating unique scenery, especially considering how long it should take to make unique scenes for all other cities on the map

I  will never make all the 42 towns in the mod - but it's good to have high goals  :smile:
We will probably duplicate a few of the town scenes just like there are many duplicates of the native scenes.

The empty training grounds have been made a little less empty. Here are some screens:

Arena looks fine!
Granted that 42 unique towns is helluva lots of work, but even if you had a half or a third of that number to be unique, rest being duplicates, that would be awesome. As long as all the town scenes show the atmosphere of the dark ages Britain instead of plain vanilla, which don't fit it, it will make the gameplay immersion so much better.

New town scene in 1.3

Cantwaraburh

Known today as Canterbury. In 1. century A.D. the Romans conquered the settlement from the native Celtic population and erected a town.
When barbarian (Anglo, Saxon, Jute and Frisian) raids became more frequent an earth bank with walls was built.
Eventually the Romans left and the town decayed. Within the walls meant to protect against the barbarians,
the barbarians, mostly Jutes, settled, and it was the Jutes who named the place Cantwaraburh, meaning:
"Kent people's stronghold".

Legend has it that the two Jutish brothers Hengist and Horsa landed in 449 as mercenaries for a British king, Vortigern.
They rebelled against him and Horsa founded the kingdom of Kent.

Time passes and in the year 597 King Aethelberht of Kent is the first British ruler - brytenwalda - to convert to Christianity.
And around that time Aethelberht marries Bertha, daughter of the Christian king Charibert of the Franks.
All in all the Jutish culture in Kent shows more signs of Roman, Frankish, and Christian influence than that of the Angles or Saxons.
This scene is imagination based on how a Jutish settlement may have looked.

Town center

Castle

Tavern

Prison

Merchant

Arena

Besieging Cantwaraburh

Sure, that'll be 10 scillingas per week  :smile:
Thank you for the kind words. I made a video showing the scenes, called:

Brytenwalda - Scenes From the Dark Ages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0_qN9MK4w

(Sorry about the low quality).

Adorno said:
Sure, that'll be 10 scillingas per week  :smile:
Thank you for the kind words. I made a video showing the scenes, called:

Brytenwalda - Scenes From the Dark Ages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0_qN9MK4w

(Sorry about the low quality).

Adorno, you have a gift.

Thanks  :smile:

Saxon Shore Forts

There was no Count of the Saxon Shore
  To meet her hand to hand,
As she took the beach with a grind and a roar,
  And the pirates rushed inland!

Rudyard Kipling, The Pirates in England

The Romans built many forts by the sea to protect against Saxon raiders, called Saxon Shore Forts;
and ironically a few of them were actually inhabited by Saxons when the Romans left.
There were 9 in total under the command of a Count - 'Comes Litoris Saxonici' ('Count of the Saxon Shore').

Most had an approximately rectangular plan, the walls being up to about 4.5m thick and 8m high, with round towers projecting at intervals and at the corners.

One example is Richborough in Kent/Cantware, one of the first places the Romans arrived in Britain, and one of the last to be abandoned.
Around year 277 to 285 the fort was built with massive walls in a rectangular shape.

Inside the walls the Saxons built their own fortification, while the Roman walls and houses decayed.

Screenshots of a siege

The outer Roman walls in decay, and Saxon settlement in the centre

First set of walls - the Roman

Second set of walls - the Saxon

Chaos at the gatehouse

Back
Top Bottom