The Skin Poppet - Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Gryffindor said:
-Personal gameplay showed me that werewolves and vampires need to be nerfed, you can siege castles, even cities with 3 lycantropes and a army of patchworks and win. In this case I was using putrid revenants as army.

-Some dialogues could be worked when players assumes a "form" of unlife, wether ghost or other, so that npcs may know he is undead or immortal, more RP.

-Diamonds are quite rare at 30 level, you must either cheat or spend hours trying to find one.

-Becoming antihero is truly worth it, a very glorified achievement, but I must say.. I'm kinda disappointed, for all the stats increases and helmet and weapon (which are awesome), they could get something more, it is truly an exhausting sacrifice, perhaps an set of armor to match and even an mount (manticore) to match greatness, also instead of getting such set just by reaching level 30, they could be placed somewhere and be waiting to be found and collected.

-Late 30 level the world is filled with +110 undead army parties, which eventually undermine all lords nearby Zendor, making easy pickings for warring lords, in that part, there aren't not even a single manhunter party alive, they are all either captured or in RP, turned (un)dead.

- Vampires and Werewolves are not easily acquired as troops, since they must either be rescued from other defeated parties (who would have had to defeat them, which isnt likely), or their type of blood must be used to turn a prisoner (which requires you to defeat them first, as well). If it's all a bit too easy, up the difficulty level.

- I have thought about new dialogs - ultimately I think I will just let necromancy affect reputations - like selling necromantic items to honest merchants will lower rep for that village/town/faction, for instance,  eventually.

- Diamonds are meant to be very rare. The Craftsman's Journal will allow you to acquire them, rarely, as will Graverobbing.

- Antihero is being expanded soon. I like your suggestion for a Manticore mount, though - a mount with a human face is just freaky enough. I may add one for whatever reason at some point, not necessarily as part of the Antihero rewards, but you never know.

-Yes, the undead begin to overtake the world around then, which is just fine, since one has probably defeated Hades by then as well, and at that point, you can begin the quests to make the new faction appear, in the upcoming version. Then you can take over the entire world with an army of horrors, in truly epic proportions. I may wind up having to create a type of shock troop for the human factions, so they have a chance of fighting back - perhaps Alchemists? Hmmm... I like that... :eek:

Synelor said:
Find the Gold Bug and you don't have to worry about diamonds ever again.

Not for a while, anyway. For intensive Artificer work, you will need many more. And oh, the ways to get them... :twisted:

N0ught said:
- Vampires and Werewolves are not easily acquired as troops, since they must either be rescued from other defeated parties (who would have had to defeat them, which isnt likely), or their type of blood must be used to turn a prisoner (which requires you to defeat them first, as well). If it's all a bit too easy, up the difficulty level.

- I have thought about new dialogs - ultimately I think I will just let necromancy affect reputations - like selling necromantic items to honest merchants will lower rep for that village/town/faction, for instance,  eventually.

- Diamonds are meant to be very rare. The Craftsman's Journal will allow you to acquire them, rarely, as will Graverobbing.

- Antihero is being expanded soon. I like your suggestion for a Manticore mount, though - a mount with a human face is just freaky enough. I may add one for whatever reason at some point, not necessarily as part of the Antihero rewards, but you never know.

-Yes, the undead begin to overtake the world around then, which is just fine, since one has probably defeated Hades by then as well, and at that point, you can begin the quests to make the new faction appear, in the upcoming version. Then you can take over the entire world with an army of horrors, in truly epic proportions. I may wind up having to create a type of shock troop for the human factions, so they have a chance of fighting back - perhaps Alchemists? Hmmm... I like that... :eek:

Not for a while, anyway. For intensive Artificer work, you will need many more. And oh, the ways to get them... :twisted:

Even so, think about it, lords are using werewolfs for siege, trust me, I fought 3 whilst defending Sargoth as a mercenary of the nords and they pierced through the line, like if the defenders were butter and their claws obsidian, amusing  :twisted:
but.. I was on the defence and that.. wasn't so funny, at all...  :cry: so sad, such brutality.

But they all fear the antihero, such powerful weapon they get, poor wolfy fellas  :razz:

When the Golden Bug was mentioned I raged towards Fenada and didn't find it, heh, N0ught, he's never pointing out the obvious, never what it looks like. I've step on the bug several times before finding it.. I suppose it was worth it.

Gryffindor said:
... even an mount (manticore)...

*Cough*.

10264828_10152071462941527_7141639459732718882_n.jpg

Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but that is what I worked on last night and this morning. It animates 95% well, so I am happy with it. It also corresponds somewhat to most medieval descriptions of the Manticore. :mrgreen:

That's specially the most weird mount that I have seen in this mod. :twisted:

Though dark, wasn't precisely the Manticore I've thought first:
tumblr_static_manticore_by_kikicianjur-d384nro.jpg
Lion head, scorpion/insectic tail, wings

But knowing the mod I'm sure it's the more likely human you're gonna stick with, dark, dark indeed, perhaps it could have the best charge in the game? adorned with antihero golden armor details?

Well, I prefer Chimeras over Manticores (three head are better than one :razz:), but I'll take it. Although I'd expect paws on it, I believe "red lion body" just wouldn't look right over the horse skeleton.

Small suggestion, if I may. Although I like the design, couldn't maybe it look more like necromancer's mount, only, you know, living?

Do not look here said:
Well, I prefer Chimeras over Manticores (three head are better than one :razz:), but I'll take it. Although I'd expect paws on it, I believe "red lion body" just wouldn't look right over the horse skeleton.

Small suggestion, if I may. Although I like the design, couldn't maybe it look more like necromancer's mount, only, you know, living?

I did note the similarities - but the necromancy set mounts are really just an amalgam of parts - they are not actually a dead creature per se.

I have entertained the idea of Chimaeras, Gryphons, Hippogryphs, Unicorns, Pegasi, Wyverns, Dragons, etc. at various times - one or more of these may be making an appearance at some point - but expect my interpretations to be unexpected! The unicorn, for instance, in pre-christian times, was known to be white, with a red head, dark blue eyes, and a horn that is white at the base, black in the middle, and red at the tip - quite a far cry from the allegory of purity it has been made into. :lol:

Gryffindor said:
That's specially the most weird mount that I have seen in this mod. :twisted:

Though dark, wasn't precisely the Manticore I've thought first:
tumblr_static_manticore_by_kikicianjur-d384nro.jpg
Lion head, scorpion/insectic tail, wings

But knowing the mod I'm sure it's the more likely human you're gonna stick with, dark, dark indeed, perhaps it could have the best charge in the game? adorned with antihero golden armor details?

Well, that is the commonly accepted "high fantasy" manticore, with wings, and either human or lion face. But the description I used was actually the summary on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manticore

It cites many references from medieval sources, sources I have seen many times before, and while several do state they have the paws of a lion, I used creative license to give it an even more insect-like look. It might still wind up with wings though, before all is said and done. You never know.

The black unicorns from the region I hail are often demarked by folklore scholars as "carnivorae mammale", carnivorous and even cannibal "Anti-tribu" atop even of it's own species. Perhaps a dominant cadre, the ruling ones?

I kinda like the manticore you've put together tho, but shouldn't it be kinda more.. mythic looking? perhaps with furs and whatnot, mane. I only searched manticores because of the synergy with greek mythology of the antihero, but the Zeus favorable creatures are the pegasi, or the black "pegasus"..

I like hippogryphs, but many mistake them for gryphons, hippogryps have horse bodies and a falcon head and wings, while Gryphons have lion body, tail and eagle head with wings.

Many also mistake wyrms for dragons, if you played skyrim, they make such mistake.
Dragons are the dominant malevolent spirits of the abyss, utterly evil overlords. The Dragons of fantasy though, have many powers, often elemental, frost dragons, flame dragons, shock dragons and others, the difference between wyrms is that dragons have legs and arms bigger wings, wyverns have legs but their arms are on their wings, and are small and sometimes more skinny than the Dragons, but lesser, perhaps hatchlings? both are draconic, and wyverns is also refered as dragon even if it not actually a "Dragon"

I like the chimeras though it is completely weird, a snake head for tail, a goat and a lion head? sounds deadly.

And I ranted a lot, I need more hydromel, but in true, I love all this, has been the work of my life til this point, I studied some of it on my own, I may be wrong I may be right.

The hierarchy of creation in Solid and Shade:

1 ~ Creative License
2 ~ Mod Lore
3 ~ Vanilla World Preservation
4 ~ Occult Folklore
5 ~ Greek Mythology
6 ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Each subject pretty much trumps the one below it.

In particular, when it comes to classic and medieval descriptions of creatures, I try to create something, lets say... horrific beyond the vocabulary available during the period? Usually if I can stay more or less true to descriptions from antiquity I will - and simultaneously, anything that freaks me out a little should freak out the average person more. This is a fact I am quite comfortable with. :lol:

I hope I'm getting a Creative License  :twisted:

How about Blood Sausages? they are quite a delicacy here and ate at the weekend, they look seldom easy to make in modding terms and are, way too much delicious, BLOOD.
They look like a black sausage, mixed with garlic and many other seasonings, flavoured. Animal blood and meat, put inside a fleshly sac and then fried or roasted has many ways to make, it's a widely known dish and very rustic, invented so loooooooong ago, it has so many names but the taste is the same I assure you, but the process might be differ and somehow make the taste somewhat different, I made several to see what was best.

A little knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sausage
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-blood-sausage.htm

Image:
bar-do-mineiro-chouric3a7o.jpg

Where this could be put in the game? huh? I know what you're thinking, Cannibal Blood Sausage of death!!! made with human blood and flesh, can keep the undead and units moral at highs, goes well with Bloodwine.

Took my time to think about this, think it's possible? oh this will make me very happy if put in S&S  :mrgreen:

Untitled. said:
I can never quite get over how much that looks like a mutilated black penis.

Hahahaha! that's on your mind of course, it tastes delicious, but if you think it's a penis.. well.. don't eat it, no pun intended, it's a blood sausage anyway. If you eat it thinking it's a penis, you're more cannibal than you think.

Weird.. that's very weird. Such perspective. Wow.

Nah, no blood sausage - firstly, blood is already used in the making of Bloodwine. Also, blood sausage is almost... too mundane. They still eat it a lot in Europe. I think the sausage already in the game would include this and all other types of sausage, even haggis.

Wine with blood in it and bread made from bones is way more the right speed, if you follow me. And Mumiyo is a powder made from spice and graveyard soil and human flesh, presumably dried and then crushed. It is a cannibalistic drug, if you will, with dire consequences - and some nice rewards as well.

Really like the mod so far but not so sure about the new direction. From what you described earlier, the downsides of mumiyo are such that It seems I won't ever use it. Attribute bonuses are nice, but not worth having to delete the save and start over just to get rid of an addiction. I don't mind a withdrawal period, but I think it lasting permanently is too harsh. Spending a month without mumiyo to overcome addiction and the subsequent withdrawal is more reasonable. Maybe make the addiction more devious by prompting the player to automatically craft mumiyo after spending two weeks in withdrawal and having the component ingredents on-hand, or something of the like.

I'd like to comment more and post the suggestions I made up in my mind while I was playing your mod, as soon as I remember them... I just thought I'd make myself heard on before you release the next version.

N0ught said:
1 ~ I have considered enhancing Manhunters somehow... perhaps I will include that as part of the Antihero storyline, when it arches into the new faction being born. You begin the pretender quests, and if successful, Manhunters become groups of Dark Hunters and Black Knights, to pay homage to the older versions of the game? I like it. :mrgreen:
AWWW YEAH! I want to be an anti-hero black knight for a long time. Also it would be cool if I walk in the village and talk to some villager and there is an option that says "Are there any rumours?" and the villager would reply about supernatural phenomenons. Sorry for bad grammar.  :oops:

Rovole said:
Really like the mod so far but not so sure about the new direction. From what you described earlier, the downsides of mumiyo are such that It seems I won't ever use it. Attribute bonuses are nice, but not worth having to delete the save and start over just to get rid of an addiction. I don't mind a withdrawal period, but I think it lasting permanently is too harsh. Spending a month without mumiyo to overcome addiction and the subsequent withdrawal is more reasonable. Maybe make the addiction more devious by prompting the player to automatically craft mumiyo after spending two weeks in withdrawal and having the component ingredents on-hand, or something of the like.

I'd like to comment more and post the suggestions I made up in my mind while I was playing your mod, as soon as I remember them... I just thought I'd make myself heard on before you release the next version.

Well, the whole point was to make something that is an utterly addictive drug, and moderately difficult to produce (the difficulty being the rarity of Spice). Mumiyo does have another use, but I don't want to spoil anything. Many necromancers will opt not to delve into Mumiyo at all, and that also has its charm... for many, the rewards will simply be "not worth it", which is exactly the same way many people look at drugs in real life.

Lately I have been trying to come up with some "dire consequence" items in the mod - Familiars provide a permanent negative modifier to a stat if they ever die or are lost. Things like this will make choices in "hardcore" games more absolute and damning, and in general it will simply require more micromanagement, if certain paths are chosen.

Sir William the Brave said:
... Also it would be cool if I walk in the village and talk to some villager and there is an option that says "Are there any rumours?" and the villager would reply about supernatural phenomenons. Sorry for bad grammar.  :oops:

Travelers in taverns already do have a little something special to say.

N0ught said:
Rovole said:

Well, the whole point was to make something that is an utterly addictive drug, and moderately difficult to produce (the difficulty being the rarity of Spice). Mumiyo does have another use, but I don't want to spoil anything. Many necromancers will opt not to delve into Mumiyo at all, and that also has its charm... for many, the rewards will simply be "not worth it", which is exactly the same way many people look at drugs in real life.

Lately I have been trying to come up with some "dire consequence" items in the mod - Familiars provide a permanent negative modifier to a stat if they ever die or are lost. Things like this will make choices in "hardcore" games more absolute and damning, and in general it will simply require more micromanagement, if certain paths are chosen.

Keep in mind that this is not only a game we are talking about, but also a sandbox game. This means that every little permanent effect, every little tiny bonus and penalty will really add up in a play through with no definite end, a very different dynamic from the sort of RPGs I am presuming you get the idea, consciously or not, to do this sort of thing from. In a (closed-plotline) RPG, you can take risky bonuses with great, even permanent, drawbacks because the length of the play-through is limited; the tradeoff has its place in the flow of the gameplay as the player will make his way from start to finish meeting whatever challenges were put in the way, the mentioned tradeoff being a part of that. I just feel like in a mod that revolves around cheating the insoluble truth, death, having a permanent addiction(which doesn't exist in real life, no matter how hard to overcome it may seem), seems to be completely out of place. Besides, spice is available in abundance in the Khergit cities.

Now I'm not going to tell you how to make your mod, but are you really planning on implementing something many, if not most, players will choose not to take advantage of? Why even bother, if that's going to be the case? Don't get me wrong, from what you've described it seems like an intriguing idea and I would like to see where you are going with it but if the addiction is going to be utterly permanent, then you have the ingredients for a trashed play-through.

I agree that there needs to be more consequences involved in your mod. As it stands, necromancy is an easy, fun, convenient, and productive hobby that any random traveler can take up in exchange for "your soul." Turn those worthless human corpses into undead soldiers by communing with unclean spirits with the black knowledge of a funky book that stares into (what remains of) your soul. But please take care to not defeat the entire purpose of having some features implemented by making them too gimmicky for any serious player to consider.

N0ught said:
Sir William the Brave said:
... Also it would be cool if I walk in the village and talk to some villager and there is an option that says "Are there any rumours?" and the villager would reply about supernatural phenomenons. Sorry for bad grammar.  :oops:

Travelers in taverns already do have a little something special to say.
Still, I think our friend here has a point. I remember walking around the village of Mechin, which I clearly recall is closest to old Zendar, and despite the roving hordes of undead and their necromantic masters that reguarly make short work of lords' armies, and the village didn't have so much as a low wall. The people make no comment on all the supernatural goings-on that permeate the world around them and must make their living very difficult, compounding their peasant's quest. Not to mention Stheno's desperate desire to be noticed by a village that does their best darned hardest to ignore the Hellenistic structure embedded with massive arrow housing an immortal demi-human abomination that they definitely didn't notice when they founded that village. But hey, land of our forefathers etc., crazy blood-thirsty snake women b-damned.

I know we have no right to tell you how to play around with what is obviously your experiment, but these are our honest suggestions. Isn't that what you've been asking for?

Now I know this is a suggestions thread and so far I've given nothing but criticisms, but I just want to be sure that you're actually open to anything we do suggest. If you have anything you'd like our input on, do mention it and I'll be more than happy to help you shape your ideas into workable concepts that will be better-received. I just want you to know that mod development doesn't have to be trial-and-error, and that we're here to help you keep making the awesome mods that we love to play.

I can't agree with you on the Mumiyo part. As you've said, Khergits have abundance of spices, so I actually believe that it has almost no downsides at all. From what N0ught said, once player tries it, he has to either hoard a small supply of it every now and then or move his lazy ass a bit more often. Really? For that price, with random chance of tearing to pieces a caravan that would carry me "free" mumiyo, I know I will be using it.

"Withdrawal syndrome" isn't even that impairing, it's not like you'll have to order your abominations to carry you to nearest bigger trading center, at most it will force you to hold up with leveling up (if you stumble on leveling up), cause of skill-capped abilities, until you'll have another portion of mumiyo ready. Reward isn't that great either (although, again, it will help with leveling up) and, frankly, I like the idea of mumiyo more for its RP-ing value than actual gameplay value.

About the manticore - fair enough. I just adore that winged design of them and would like to see some more mounts in that spirit.

Back
Top Bottom