Improved 'Renown' System - First Draft

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir Dragunov

Veteran
Improved ‘Renown’ System (First Draft)

What does renown mean?
Renown or fame is the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed throughout the lands. Your renown, along with faction, shows how people react to you. The more renown you have, the more you will be liked and praised.

What’s currently wrong with Mount and Blade: Warband’s renown system?
My opinion is the current renown system is bland and dreary. The system doesn’t really dive deep into the world; renown is only useful towards men/female of status (King’s etc). Although the renown system does it job, it isn’t really convincing considering you can’t really stretch your renown to limits where you get reactions from townsfolk and bandits.

How can the renown system be improved?

Renown plays a very big part in the Mount and Blade: Warband but it can be enhanced or in other words, it can be pleasurable.  This is what I had in mind….

1 Renown titles would be entertaining and interesting in-game, renown titles are names that the people of Calradia will give you depending on what weapons you use, how you fight and your general activities around the lands. Titles could vary from “The Two Headed archer” to “The Night Warrior”, each with its own unique meaning. It would give the player authentication that their actions have made a mark on the world, and that they’re known throughout Calradia.

ExampleMy character is a swordsman who fights with his loyal horse, after several battles the people of Calradia have decided to call him “The Horseback Swordsman” because he is talented with the sword and he is an expert rider.

2Requests would also be another compelling and motivating feature for renown. Forget recruiting peasants or hiring mercenaries, if your known throughout the lands warriors will come and seek you out so they can join your party for far less than what you would normally offer. This feature would be great because it would again, give players confirmation that they are leaving their mark on the world and it would also “verify” that the player is a superior commander.

ExampleMy character has been chasing and wiping out bandits for weeks, he makes camp and is suddenly approached by a group of peasants who wish to join his party.

Example 2 My character has just successfully raided a castle, impressed by his courage and strength several mercenary horsemen approach him and ask to join his army for no cost.

3Celebrations and statues would by far be one of the funniest renown features there is. Small peasant Villages (only Villages of the same faction as the player) will celebrate the player’s victories (Only if the player has a good relationship with the Village) and even build statues of the player in their village center.  Celebrations will bring in money, renown and could coincide with requests.

Example My character has just destroyed a Nord army and captured a man of high-status, a Village the player is familiar with has just heard the news and has decided to hold a celebration for the players victory.

The suggestion is very short but I am looking for feedback before I proceed with more ideas, thank you for taking your time to read my suggestion. All feedback will be appreciated. If any modders are interested, I can send a full Design Document so they can create the system.

I have one request... GET THIS MADE SOMEHOW!!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: I LOVE it! I agree, renown is basic in Warband. It serves it's basic purpose. The title thing.... Genius. I would get right on it other then I don't have a clue how to mod... Just please get this made!!! My god I love it.

Robin de SinClair said:
I have one request... GET THIS MADE SOMEHOW!!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: I LOVE it! I agree, renown is basic in Warband. It serves it's basic purpose. The title thing.... Genius. I would get right on it other then I don't have a clue how to mod... Just please get this made!!! My god I love it.

Thanks, I think I have to push the idea around the MOD forums. It doesn’t seem to be getting that much attention, either I am happy you like the idea.

These a certainly good ideas.
I don't like the personal title that much, at least from the current example it sounds somewhat silly.
I'd rather like the titles to show something about the players exploits (like saved praven from a siege) and character ("... the Terrible").
Also, NPC reactions. You shouldn't be only renowned but renowned for something. Like punishing the unjust or being a good duelist and you could get different reactions and quests for that. A good but honorless fighter might get frequent assassination missions for example.

@ Doomsayer - Well that was an example, I am waiting for a modder to come and check out the idea before I start typing up proper titles. NPC reactions are defiantly important, I wouldn't mind expanding on the idea. Thank you for taking your time to post in my topic.

@Kazzan - Yes, after looking at other mods and whatnot. Statues would take a lot of time to add to the game, it could even be impossible. But you never know, let's see how it goes. Anyway, thank you for posting.

shadowarcher said:
certainatly an interesting idea i  wish you the very best in completing this if it ever gets started

Thank you, the thing is people are looking at the topic but sadly, no one is posting. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the suggestion in different topic's but I'll try to find it.

The idea of troops joining you I like, it makes sense and it shouldn't be just for peasants. If your renown and honour are high enough they could be trained troops that defect from another lord to join you.

Sir Dragunov said:
shadowarcher said:
certainatly an interesting idea i  wish you the very best in completing this if it ever gets started

Thank you, the thing is people are looking at the topic but sadly, no one is posting. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the suggestion in different topic's but I'll try to find it.

Well, I suppose that at least means noone is against it. :razz:
What you can do is to add it as a suggestion on the taleworlds bugs page bugs.taleworlds.com, but I doubt they will add new content that hasn't already been planned.
You could always go to the modsection and find some help in creating this as a mod. Diplomacy mod team might be a good place to start since it seems to fit in well. As long as you don't nag them about it, I don't think the modders will be really against this. Whatever work you can do you should take yourself it's easier to find a teammember for stuff you can't do than finding someone who will just create something after your plan.

Thank you for the information doomsayer, I’ll defiantly check out the Diplomacy mod team. I will also visit the TW website and submit, I would learn how to work with M&B’s system but I currently have no time.

As I have said in the 1257 AD Mod forum, I wall say again... you have my full support and I wish you the best of luck. Meaningful suggestions and ideas must be rewarded.

sealpgf.gif

I am in support of this idea.
It would also be interesting to have renown among different classes; e.g. peasants would know of you for saving a village, burghers and townsmen would fear/hate you for raiding caravans.

I shall follow this thread with great intrest.

Well, ****. this is one good idea. This is the first draft aye? Keep working on it and hopefully the devs notice this one.

I want to thank all of you for posting; it’s good to know that I have some players backing me. Hopefully, the idea will come through one day. But for now I want to thank you all for your support.

Yeah this is an awesome idea! Especially with mods rich in environment and story (like Brytenwalda and AD 1257 for example) this is would be a really good addition.

Maybe you could even have the option of choosing some of your titles ex. The name of your mercenary company.

Village Elder: My lord, the villagers wish to know their saviors!
Player: Tell them, it was "Player Name + appropriate/Earned titles" and the "insert name of your army"

Maybe even have renown titles associated to your men, granted by faction leaders and/or the general populace/opinion, which would be creative and dramatic like Dreaded, Thrice Blessed, Stalwart or something I don't know.

The right to name your military company if you are a vassal could even be based on renown and the relationship with your king and associated acts etc etc etc.

From all the stupid ideas i have read on forum this idea is actually NOT AMONG THEM! It's excelent! I really support this and it would be much greater adition to game than few horses, armors and axes, taleworld recently added.
and a mayor bug on a world map if you have ati graphic card, thank you taleworlds  :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom