Show Horse Health

Users who are viewing this thread

pncool

Recruit
It's probably already been suggested, but I couldn't see it on here when I browsed through the threads. I'd love to be able to know the health of my horse in battle, so it didn't get crippled in a fight.

I also think it'd be clever if you could choose whether your character was left or right handed, although I bet that would be far too much hassle to do.

It's a great game though and seems to take up most of my spare time.

I agree. Sometimes, I like to take enemies on solo, but of my horse is on the brink of death, I'd like to know it so I can hang back and call in the troops.

Well if this feature is added, I want to choose if I use it or not. I would not, for you can in no way have information about the health of your steed (other than the cuts that are visible). I enjoy it lot more when it comes as a surprise when my horse falls and I with it in middle of sea raiders... Then it's just *block block block* which is fun untill your shield comes down :grin:.

You can see the state of your horse as well, if not better, than the state of your shield. I think The horses health should be added

You can see the state of your horse as well, if not better, than the state of your shield. I think The horses health should be added
Yeah... The shield endurance should be removed too :grin:.

I'm with ilex on this one...

If horse health was to be added then I'd want to have it as a toggable feature...right now it's perfect as it is...a health meter for the horse would be like talking to your mount and asking how it's feeling...and getting a reply...

"Think you're up to it, Ed?"

"Nope, sorry, I only have 10 HP left, I think you better go on foot this time"

A good (and maybe more realistic) way to deal with this would be to have 3 stages of horse health (this could be done for shields too). Like green horse sign in the right bottom corner of the screen would imply that your mount is in great condition, yellow means hurt, and red means almost dead. The BEST way would be that the animation and the skin of the horse would chance (adding some blood here and there), but that would propably be just too much.

Skyrage said:

If horse health was to be added then I'd want to have it as a toggable feature...right now it's perfect as it is...a health meter for the horse would be like talking to your mount and asking how it's feeling...and getting a reply...

Lets say you've charged a group of enemies. You've been more busy paying attention to the enemies that your horse. You glance at it, and (in the game) He seems Ok, eventhough he has been hit with an axe to the face or something. As I believe realistic looking cuts aren't going to be added anytime soon, the horses health should be displayed.

This is one case where I'm just going to say that realism should be utterly ignored. No, you wouldn't know your horse's exact health in real life, but so what? In real life, your own health doesn't work in terms of hit points either, but hey, having that sort of information is just convenient. Deprived of any other way to judge your horse's health, a set of hit points underneath your own would be a good and unobtrusive way of knowing if you need to be especially careful around that group of spearmen. The color model is somewhat intriguing, but it would just be less useful, and more visually distracting.

Of course, I have no problem with the idea of making it something you can disable, just like a report of your shot difficulty.

I'm all for an estimate meter...but NOT a hitpoint meter that displays the exact number of hitpoints left...

Any warrior who's on a mount should be able to estimate the wounds that his steed has accumelated...(horse bleeds, is slower, refuses to go at full speed etc)

Point is, this is a medieval game, where you're a medieval warrior or knight or whatever you now want to be. On top of that, it focuses quite heavily on realism. A dozen different meters that show all sorts of info is not realistic. I'm not even a fan of the shield health display to be honest. I think it should be a "it goes when it goes" situation for the shield. Same thing for the horse. An estimate meter is as far as I'll go for almost any kind of displayed measurement. HP meter should of course remain the way it is. No need to extremize it either after all.

I think this would be hard to implement actually more of use and realism would be moans from the horse and heave breathing signaling its hurt badly.

Then you could unmount to save the horse and continue battle as a ground unit.

I say let SciFI-shooters keep their HUDs. I'd ruin the element of surprise if Horse-O-Meter would appear in the corner. This game is not an excel form where everything can be calculated via series of numbers and displays.

It's realism that makes you forget how many hits your horse has taken. It's a battle after all, not a simulation (or that's how I'd like to thing of it).

And yes, remove the shield indicator as well, please.

Yes, obviously remove the shield indicator because it's so very easy to see from all the cracks, gashes and dents (depending on what the shield is made from) that appear when it gets hit how damaged your shield is... same goes for the horse... you can really tell by the laboured breath and the bloody cuts on its flanks that it's not going to last you long anymore... ;/

From my point of view, the HUD displays mainly compensate for what would otherwise involve enormous workloads in the graphics department... if we had damage textures (and possibly sounds) for players, horses and shields, there'd be no need for the HUD displays, alas, all it'd change is how the game looks, not how it plays, so such a change should have low priority at best.

my fair gents, im sure it wouldnt be too much trouble to add an option to display this or that. IU An option could be made to display health, horse health, and shield status. Its just a few lines of script. and everyone is happy. And the game is more customazible, which is ALWAYS GOOD!!!

Kazak Boris

jackx said:
Yes, obviously remove the shield indicator because it's so very easy to see from all the cracks, gashes and dents (depending on what the shield is made from) that appear when it gets hit how damaged your shield is... same goes for the horse... you can really tell by the laboured breath and the bloody cuts on its flanks that it's not going to last you long anymore... ;/

From my point of view, the HUD displays mainly compensate for what would otherwise involve enormous workloads in the graphics department... if we had damage textures (and possibly sounds) for players, horses and shields, there'd be no need for the HUD displays, alas, all it'd change is how the game looks, not how it plays, so such a change should have low priority at best.

This is definately the best way to show damage imo.

If you are riding a horse, you can more or less tell if its limping, tired, feeling pain in certain places, and ultimately if its on the verge of dying. You don't need to talk to it, since there are a lot of much more obvious signs.

Whereas I know for a fact that those signs can't be intergrated, (and a lot of people wouldnt distinguish anyway) since it would take up a lot of memory / processing power etc. A health meter bar is the best solution to represent such, as in other games. Real life doesnt really have HP either, you could be wounded / bleeding, but you would not know if the next hit is going to kill you. Same for the horse. HP is just a relatively simple and 'easy to understand for all' way to see the remaining health.

Putting that aside, I don't see it having a major impact. I know roughly how much HP my horse has, and look at the damage it takes, then do a quick mental calculation. Its not accurate, but you don't know if the next hit is going to inflict 30 damage or 3 damage either ::smile:

Worbah said:
Skyrage said:

Lets say you've charged a group of enemies. You've been more busy paying attention to the enemies that your horse. You glance at it, and (in the game) He seems Ok, eventhough he has been hit with an axe to the face or something. As I believe realistic looking cuts aren't going to be added anytime soon, the horses health should be displayed.
ok then (sorry if it was mentioned before) but how about some abstact way of reporting horse health like the words: healthy, slightly wounded, wounded, heavily wounded, about to collapse, one more and say bye bye to Mr. Ed ?

Back
Top Bottom