Fix for some crashes... NOT A BUG THREAD - READ 1st POST

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to explain this.
I have 32bit xp system 4gig ram ddr2 and radeon hd 4670 1gb ddr3. Processor and other stuff is non important.
In MB warband I had constant crashes in battle with 1257 mod which used PL landscapes.
After turning off my grass density to 0% I didn't crash at all (just sometimes at loading battle because I increased then my Battlesize to 300).
With this fix I could easily play with grass density without crashes.
However that example I gave about the witcher. I played that game normally without "the fix" then I though hey why the heck not try this fix. So I did add "the fix" however my witcher game went crazy. First my load times increased then when I went to 1 location in game my textures went crazy, there were many graphic problems like walls without textures and all other dysfunctional textures, not forgeting that game went kinda 1-2fps freeze. After I removed the fix game worked correctly again.
I don't know if its because my system took whole memory and my GPU couldn't get some or other factor as I didn't think much about it. I just said that there is a possibility that "the fix" can screw up other games for you, so just remember that when some game will give you trouble in future then "the fix" can be the thing causing it.

2)
This solution should help you out even with 2GB of ram. Process can assign both physical and virtual memory, so it will work.

Dont foreget to assign a fixed virtual memory size. First of all it will give a slight performance boost and more important if the memory is on auto adjust and you run out of disc space you´ll get a crash too.

Tina said:
2)
This solution should help you out even with 2GB of ram. Process can assign both physical and virtual memory, so it will work.

Dont foreget to assign a fixed virtual memory size. First of all it will give a slight performance boost and more important if the memory is on auto adjust and you run out of disc space you´ll get a crash too.

i knew i forgot to say about something too obvious... you're right - i'll add the info later to the 1st post.

Tina said:
2)

I have no idea what you mean so i hope someone can put some steps in to make sure im doing that correctly  :wink:

p.s. i have WinXP 32bit SP2 with 4Gb Ram

Tina was referring to the way Windows allocates virtual memory - paging file / swap file. It can be set manually or be auto adjusted by the OS itself. If the total amount of RAM and VM is below 3gb (which is very rarely possible) or only a bit higher the solution in the 1st post of this thread won't work, as your system will simply run out of operational memory.

To change it (I believe that it's the same for XP, Vista and 7)

1. Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
2. Performance -> Settings
3. Advanced tab -> Change

The tricky part is setting the values right. Microsoft suggests (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 , Step 2) to set the minimal value as 1.5x of your RAM and maximal value as 3x your RAM. There's plenty of topics on the web with performances results and such revolving around this subject so... Google.

Ahh thanks for the quick reply. I set my page file to microsofts recommended size a while back so i should be all set  :cool:

Thank you so much for this! You have saved me from insanity. Sieges are actually playable now. +rep (dont know if that does anything on these forums)

It also works with 2gb RAM, so thx for this workaround! I set VM 2gb for both partition and I did not have a CTD. Without the workaround I crashed after 2-3 battle scenes. Now, although, it's not very fast and the HDD ticks like hell, but at least I can finish battles.

Jesus Christ! It's working for me:
Lots of field battles and sieges and 0 CTD with the ".exe" or "textures" or "freezing" or elese!
Many many thanks  :wink:

i'm glad it works for you guys but if i may suggest voting instead of posting new messages then it would be great.

I think it did help me out! I played about 3 hours, many battles and no crash. It didn't happen anywhere earlier.

Tei said:
i'm glad it works for you guys but if i may suggest voting instead of posting new messages then it would be great.
ofcourse i did bote for YES
actually, i wanna hit the "yes" button 10 times more!!

but you know, damn Democracy :mrgreen:

gencov0 said:
Tei said:
ofcourse i did bote for YES
actually, i wanna hit the "yes" button 10 times more!!

but you know, damn Democracy :mrgreen:
well, thank you... what i meant is that it's easier for me to answer questions or help out people having problems (and they probably will come sooner or later) without having to go through other posts. appraisal is still fun but i always believed that one should be responsible for the thread he started, so...

If u have Bootskin  this is not work
Remove Bootskin then it´s work (this help me ) :grin:

Edit: XP 32

Edit2: Not work grafic go wierd  :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom