SP Native Dark Ages [WB] - The Dark Ages mod: fall of Calradia - needing help!

Special formations! if possible, should horse archers be able to circle while shooting? and spearmen

• yes, this will improve the use of tactics, and also the historical edge of the game

Votes: 149 83.2%
  • only if every faction has just one very strong formation, which is only effective in groups less tha

Votes: 54 30.2%
  • no, strategy sucks. just run up against each other and bash away.

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Been playing Rome total war have we IMANU?  :mrgreen:

Stuff for mod appears awesome so far. but with The Calradians so overstrecthed to defend i suppose they will have an ace up their sleeve or they will end up like Swadia gangraped by all other factions before day 300  :razz:

i've played RTW to death. but i suppose the calradians could have a few (relatively) armies which consists of the absolute elite, a bit like the praetorian guards in in rome. perhaps (unhistorically but very kewl) it could be some cohorts of classic roman armies? with the big shields, pilum, gladius etc. these guys would be able to take on the tortoise formation and that sort of thing. because of the lacking of armour they are fast, because of their javelins they are ranged, and because of their teambased morale they never run.

god this is cool in my head. srsly.ds

Well well well. Somebody plays EB!

Anyway good idea, I'd DL a Dark Ages mod. A few things though:

Cataphracts would be far more heavily armored than Mamelukes. Cataphracts actually means "Completely Armored", with thick scale armor and barding on their horses.

The "Barbarians" would probably be less armored, but with heavy weapons. Like a Byrnie or lower quality, but a Great Axe/War Cleaver sort of thing.

Calradian/Roman Empire would have fewer Elite Troops, and many, many mercenary/semi-barbarian troops. Think of it like having 10% Legionaries heavily armored and well trained, and the other 90% being regional militia with very low-quality armor, and similar weapons to the Legions.

I hope you do this thing right and make it as fun as possible, good luck!

Northern Mameluke Empire said:

Cataphracts would be far more heavily armored than Mamelukes. Cataphracts actually means "Completely Armored", with thick scale armor and barding on their horses.

The "Barbarians" would probably be less armored, but with heavy weapons. Like a Byrnie or lower quality, but a Great Axe/War Cleaver sort of thing.

Calradian/Roman Empire would have fewer Elite Troops, and many, many mercenary/semi-barbarian troops. Think of it like having 10% Legionaries heavily armored and well trained, and the other 90% being regional militia with very low-quality armor, and similar weapons to the Legions.

never played EB. couldn't get it to work. but, being a huge history nutter- I love this era.
i know that the cataphract should be more armoured, but i think it would totally overpower the sarranids, having very good archers, infantry, and also cavalry.

as for the barbarians, i want to portray them in their true historical position, rather than the undedeveloped uncivilized image they have. their equipment should be better of quality than the calradian, even it it were only to keep balance. very good armoured in sense of quality, instead of heaviness of the armour though, if you understand what i mean. having a hard time explaining it in english, kinda :mrgreen:

and what you said about the set up of calradian troops, precisely my idea of what their armies should look like.

i am thinking of expanding the political system, in other departments than military decisions. finances, production, and science need to be represented. This is going to be the calradian system, and the other factions use other systems (but which are still similar to this one)

FINANCE: you can buy allegiance, power, land, victory and even someone's downfall: as long you have the silver. every city has a treasurer who keeps track of the city's expenditures and income.

PRODUCTION: constant warfare asks for equipment and food. there is a minister for this, who records the amount of iron, cloth, grain and other military wares coming in. he also oversees the processing of these resources. lastly, he makes sure that the right products end up in the right place.

SCIENCE: War is all about technological advancements. new ways to forge iron, faster ways to create arrows, finding out that a saddle will keep one in his horse... this research is obtainable in multiple ways. kidnapping a certain scientist or funding the university for example.

WAR: some additions to the known ministery. this also funds guards, and thus will the loyalty of the people be stronger. this also speeds up the recruitment. the average skill level in an army will be higher.

the more money is being put in a certain ministery, the better it will work. that means scientific progress, a better equipped army- you get the idea.

there are also risks involved. lowering the army funds results in faster routing, but automatically raises the funding into production and science.

Science is by far the most expensive, slowest, and perhaps also the most important ministery.
the other 2 ministeries depend on the nation, on the amount of troops and the amount of resources being produced.

this is to give a better sense of control over a nation or even a fief, apart from just the ability to build stuff.

very good armoured in sense of quality, instead of heaviness of the armour though, if you understand what i mean. having a hard time explaining it in english, kinda :mrgreen:
[/quote]

you mean like customly made for the wielder, with alot of love and care put into the design intead of pumped out in factories one size fits all sorta thing?

if that is what you mean then I dont think it would have an effect on quality. since they are both made the same, it's just that one was custom fitted and the other was genericaly designed.

They would be more useful i think however, for weopons you could portray that as making them faster than their mass produced counter parts, or in the case of armor not be so heavy and speed limiting.

basically what I'm trying to say is, a piece of metal is a piece of metal, if it's a shield it's gonna offer as much protection as a shield that is intriciately etched or designed. if it's a weopon, it's gonna cut or smash just as much as a more beautiful version.

I really don't see barbbarian tribes having better quality weopons as a industrial civilisation. Maybe the same but for shure not greater than.

The Dominator said:
Very nice but science might prve hard to do unless you find some way to add techonlogy or watever

it could be that for example the troops start off with a bent spear, and later on the scientists discover how to make superstraight awl pikes. in fases of course. could make all the difference in the world :mrgreen:

In my mind Rhodoks never existed before Calradia Empire, cause I remember reading Rhodoks were formed when in a rebellion against Swadia.

You know, have probably played too much Rome Total War but maybe with the Calradian's have it split into a few different factions united in purpose. The throne I think would be Suno and then perhaps a , Praven faction and that would stretch to along the Rhodok borders, a Sargoth Faction that would occupy the Noric lands, and then a Halmar faction in the south.

IMANU said:

never played EB. couldn't get it to work. but, being a huge history nutter- I love this era.
i know that the cataphract should be more armoured, but i think it would totally overpower the sarranids, having very good archers, infantry, and also cavalry.

as for the barbarians, i want to portray them in their true historical position, rather than the undedeveloped uncivilized image they have. their equipment should be better of quality than the calradian, even it it were only to keep balance. very good armoured in sense of quality, instead of heaviness of the armour though, if you understand what i mean. having a hard time explaining it in english, kinda :mrgreen:

and what you said about the set up of calradian troops, precisely my idea of what their armies should look like.

I said that cuz you had a pic of some EB II units in one of your posts, just figured you did :razz:.

Even though "Barbarians" didn't actually run around naked with giant warhammers, they didn't exactly wear heavy armor. I wouldn't give them anything above a byrnie honestly, simply because mail was the highest technology they achieved prior to the Middle Ages, and byrnies are lower quality. leather armor would be good as well, definitely more common.

Of course everybody has their super elite heavy troops, but in order to balance out the factions/units in this game its better to have lighter shock infantry for them, with what we agreed on as the Roman army for Calradia.

Sammyboy said:
You know, have probably played too much Rome Total War but maybe with the Calradian's have it split into a few different factions united in purpose. The throne I think would be Suno and then perhaps a , Praven faction and that would stretch to along the Rhodok borders, a Sargoth Faction that would occupy the Noric lands, and then a Halmar faction in the south.

might be true, but this history is not like a direct "previous chapter" to the 1257 Calradia :mrgreen: if this is the 5th century, then there is a whole lot of centuries left to fullfill any calradian history^^

IMANU said:

I said that cuz you had a pic of some EB II units in one of your posts, just figured you did :razz:.

Even though "Barbarians" didn't actually run around naked with giant warhammers, they didn't exactly wear heavy armor. I wouldn't give them anything above a byrnie honestly, simply because mail was the highest technology they achieved prior to the Middle Ages, and byrnies are lower quality. leather armor would be good as well, definitely more common.

Of course everybody has their super elite heavy troops, but in order to balance out the factions/units in this game its better to have lighter shock infantry for them, with what we agreed on as the Roman army for Calradia.
I see, i was really pissed with EB not getting to work with all the factions in their original language and stuff  :evil:
and exactly, i'd give them not too heavy armour (at least the rhodok barbarians) but the protectional quality should be really, really high. also the looks should tell the player that it is very strong: it should be very,, very shiny :mrgreen:

True, I just feel like that large of a Calradian empire would just crush all the others. Such a large faction would have to have extra lords and if they ever got together for a marshall's campaign you are talking possible 2000 men against a tiny faction like that of Malyurg. With the Empire "split" they can fight multiple enmies at once without simply crushing them one at a time.
BTW, this is a very exciting mod you re proposing.

Sammyboy said:
True, I just feel like that large of a Calradian empire would just crush all the others. Such a large faction would have to have extra lords and if they ever got together for a marshall's campaign you are talking possible 2000 men against a tiny faction like that of Malyurg. With the Empire "split" they can fight multiple enmies at once without simply crushing them one at a time.
BTW, this is a very exciting mod you re proposing.
thanks! but also, despite the calradians kinda represent the romans, they shouldn't be too hungry for war. they know perfectly well that conquering and sacking even a tiny nation as malayurg can set off several thousands of people in flight, looking for a new land. they should only do so if they are prepared to defend one of their cities against the rage of the people. or can push them into someone elses land by constant skirmishes.
(as if they are playing brick breaker or something: everytime the ball comes around, they are prepared to bounce it back- very difficult to keep up, as calradian armies cannot be everywhere all the time.)

Ye thiking about adding Migration armies? that once a nation get's killed of (lose their last stronghold or activated manually) they migrate in huge peasant armies trying to find a new home?

Back
Top Bottom