Secondary attack (With shield)

Users who are viewing this thread

Scoundrel

Squire
Indeed. Sometimes I really hope that there would be secondary attack. Nothing too lethal, heres how I would do it:

If you're fighting with 1 arm weapon and shield, the secondary attack is small push with shield that would only give you little break (Or maybe powerfull push would knock enemy down)

If you have missile weapon (Javelins, throwing axes...) you could do melee attack with it from secondary attack. Not too great, since these are meant to be thrown, but something to defend yourself with. I remember being beated to death few times because I had only javelins with me, which I coud'nt trow because of constant beating.

Other weapons dont really need a secondary attack if you ask me, but these two would be nice additions.

Maybe you could stab someone with an arrow instead of shooting it, it would make you lose an arrow though because it seems to me it'd be a bit hard to yank back out.

Yeah. That'de be good. Theres really nothing you can do in arena fights when you have bow and enemy gets close. Just a sure defeat.

Furthermore:

I suggest all types of attacks be differentiated further. In keeping with this, slashing attacks should have a much lower chance of causing a knockdown, but the shield bash should cause noticeable knockback with a greater chance of knockdown.

This is a good idea but I think the sheild is already really good and shouldn't have an attack with it. The using arrows as a melee weapion is a little shaky because the arrow really isn't strong enough to use to stab through armor and it would have a really low damgae rating, like with bodkin arrows, 3p, so it would be practically worthless, but really cool. And no using secondary attacks on mounts, seems a little excessive.

the only feasable way i can see a sheild bash is if you are running at someone. Im 6'4" and 270#s(yes im fat) and from a combat distance of 5 feet or so, i simply cant develope the inertia to incompasitate my 5'11" 170# freind, even for a moment, simply becouse he wont allow me too. It is simply resistable.(this is in sheild combat)

If you have missile weapon (Javelins, throwing axes...) you could do melee attack with it from secondary attack. Not too great, since these are meant to be thrown

Hehe, a javelin shoved thru your gut will hurt the same as any other spear, and imagine the damage a fransisca would do if you hacked someone open?

some sort of "brawl" attack would be very nice indeed... could be anything from a headbutt to a grapple to a kick to slamming the pommel of your weapon in their face... wouldn't do much damage though, but it'd push the enemy back a bit and give you room to switch weapons/start an attack...

maybe make it part of a counter-attack system, i.e. after you block your opponents attack, you have x amount of time (very short timeframe, obviously) in which you now can perform a short-ranged "brawl" attack that will put your opponent off balance by holding block and pressing attack...

Grappling combat should definatly be implemented in some way since it is an important part of medieval european combat. This http://www.thearma.org/essays/armoredlongsword.html is an excelent article about armored longsword combat showing the importance of grappling.

I still think (we had this discussion before) that shield attacks should be implemented since it is realistic. Sure, you don't knock someone down with it, but like I suggested last time it should throw the opponent off guard momentarily, enough to get an attack in. Sure, this would make shields better, but in keeping with realism shields should be good. The only reason shields eventually became less used was that armor got so good that it offered enough protection against smaller weapons and that polearms came of use.

Back
Top Bottom