Downside to buying from Steam?

Users who are viewing this thread

magogian

Recruit
Hello,

I apologize if this question was answered before, but I tried the search function and didn't find anything.  My question is: are there downsides to purchasing Warband from steam?  For example, sometimes you are limited to what patches you can use and what mods, etc.  Is there a best way to get this game?

You should be able to use all the mods and stuff, though I believe steam updates automatically with patches, which simply means that each time it updates, you'd have to wait a day or two for the multiplayer servers to update before you can play online.

Just for reference i personally bought mine off amazon . com, but i know several people who got it through steam.

If you buy from steam, you an always lift your unique serial code out of it and reinstall it as a non steam game (EDIT: actually, I'm not 100% sure about that). So no, afaik there are no downsides to buying from steam.

However, shift tabbing is an essential practice for any archer, so you might want to change your overlay hotkey.

The decision is simply a matter of taste. If you like steam, use steam. If you don't, don't use it. There is only one downside I can think of and it's trivial--you have a longer folder structure to traverse if you want to make mods, but like I said, it's trivial. As for updates, sometime steam gets them first, sometimes they don't (steam just got updated language support that non-steamers weren't told about in any obvious way, since it was small). It balances out.

I bought Czech localised retail boxed version what has on DVD Steam install medium. I was able to install it and you can get CD-Key for that in your Steam game library. I tested that cd key (not steam code i got in boxed, CD-key is one option in game library and it shows you your real game cd key) can be used with version downloaded from TW site. So you are pretty ok to get it on steam and after you install it and get cd-key you can install non steam version and be up-to date with latest patches.

On a side note, you can have a main version on steam and download a back-up version from Talewords, so if the servers are slow to update, you can still play.

I use steam to chat to friends, I've had no problems with steam, when I got hacked, I messaged steam, and within a few hours got my account back :smile:

Or how about Taleworld's own shop? There's no downside to that, and if you want to you can still get the Steam overlay and chat in game.

captain lust said:
If you buy from steam, you an always lift your unique serial code out of it and reinstall it as a non steam game (EDIT: actually, I'm not 100% sure about that).

Yes you can.

Steam has no real problems, most of the ones you hear about are hugely exaggerated. And yes, Warband is currently on sale on Steam.

Oh yes, a downside to steam is that you have to have the internet to download the games... and if you have bad internet, it will take sometime before the game is fully downloaded =/

Archonsod said:
The main downside to Steam is it comes with Steam.

QFT.

steam.gif

All this Steam bashing is needless.

Besides: Even if you end up hating steam, you can register the CD key you get from them with TaleWorlds and download a standalone copy if you want. It's Win-Win. Same deal with impulse. Just buy from whatever suits you best.

Back
Top Bottom