Original Thread - Introduction and Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Laszlo

Sergeant Knight at Arms
30/1/2011: The original introductory post has been archived within the below spoiler tags. Most of the image links have died and much of the information is outdated. I've hidden it to avoid confusion and conveying a sense of dereliction.

I will update this thread with a new introduction soon. :smile: This will continue to serve as a thread to introduce people to PWMOD in the future.

v3.1 DOWNLOAD + INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Explore the world
339uaky.jpg

Join a kingdom
20rnuqf.jpg

2qdn79t.jpg

Defend your castle
7269uw.jpg

Raise money; spend it
53k3k5.jpg

2h8csqs.jpg

The Arena!
dvgn8.jpg

Knavely brigands!
2i9l5yv.jpg

Jousting!
wrzxmv.jpg

Castle armouries!
2r73luw.jpg

1 Map
No 'rounds'
No 'teams'
No rules

1.4 Megabytes of Sandbox Goodness.

v3.1 DOWNLOAD + INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

The critics are raving about PWMod!:

" What does this exactly do?"
-Kurtensen
" What the hell? Is this just a scam to get downloads?"
-COGlory
" if it is thats just retarded"
-peton
" This mod is utter, utter ****e."
-gamerman345
" Ehmmm Persitant world is just a troll mod, what the hell you people on about ?"
-Munx
" Persistant world is neither persistant nor it it is a world"
-Skurcey

But don't just take their word for it; download today and enter the world that makes Darktide look like primary school.
Unless I haven't got a server hosting it yet, in which case, download today and patiently await the world that makes Darktide look like primary school.

PROFICIENCIES

CLASS1-Hand2-HandPolearmBowCrossbowAthleticsRidingShieldPowerstrikeIronflesh
Archer906060150162111
Crossbowman906060116052111
Infantry1001001101152445
Man-at-Arms (Dismounted)11011011152445
Man-at-Arms (Mounted)1001001101115334

Additional notes:
1. Archers have powerdraw 5 and can use every bow. Brigands have powerdraw 3 and can use Short Bows, Nomad Bows, Longbows only.
2. Only Men-at-Arms can access the heavier armours and helmets.

FAQ
Is this really a 'persistant world'?
Not really, I've simply maxed out the round timer to 2 hours to emulate the feel of a persistant world. The words were chosen because they best decribe the 'gist' of the mod and what it is aiming towards.

How do I play?
Once installed, just look for a server hosting the mod and join. There's no singleplayer at all.

How do I 'join a kingdom'?
Wear their armour. That's it. Everything else is player organised and controlled.

How do you 'win'?
It's all RP and player content.
There are no gameplay mechanics that create victory. We intend to organise RP events in which a kingdom successfully conquers another kingdom's castle if they can plant their flag on the enemy battlements, etc.

It's hard to select weapons on the weapon racks!
Weapons don't have collision meshes when in object form, so selecting them is a little tricky. Aim for where you would grip the weapon and it should be quite easy from there.

How do I get the heavy armours?
I ran out of room in the normal amour slots, so instead select the weapon slots on the right and the heavy armours will be there (if you're a Man-at-Arms (dismounted or mounted)).

Why are weapons bought from blacksmiths but armour and horses bought at the equipment screen?
I wanted to make it that nothing could be bought at the equipment screen. But when you spawn armour at a blacksmith you can't equip it (hardcoded AFAIK), and when you spawn horses the server crashes.

Uh... this MOD is pretty ****e?
I have extremely limited modding skills, and this mod will not appeal to everyone. Move along.

I just paid 2,000 Denari for a bow and I can't pick it up!
Only archers and bandits can use bows, everyone makes this mistake.

When I carry a flag it looks ridiculous!
Flag models are perpendicular to weapon models. So when you place it on the ground, they stand up instead of lying flat. As a result, they look silly when you carry them around.

NPCS?
No.

Thankyou to the following people who are highly talented, extremely helpful, or both!:

Highlander
Arch3r
Vornne
Vincenzo
Archevious

Alpha testers:
Marshall
Aleczacool
Infetrix
HTAPAWASO

I love you, you know that right?

If you need some help, send me a PM. I know a thing or two.

Those are actually real quotes, BTW :smile:

Havoc did you ever do any Alpha testing with us? I know 1 or 2 SPLH members dropped in I just don't recall if you were one of them.

Also, when I put up the thread I hadn't actually updated the MBRepository listing (classic), but I've just now updated it to v1 Beta.

Havoc said:
This is the first I've heard of this mod.  :neutral:

Aaaah, yeah we just did all the alpha testing and discussion on mumble, so unless you happened to stumble across the MBRepository listing you'd never had found out about this mod.

Oh, riiiight. We I have it now anyway.

This some kind of scam? You haven't even got a server. It pays to have a server on release.

Just go to host and click start. All the settings are already there ready to go.

Only thing I'd recommend, if you're just mucking around, would be to allocate some starting gold so you can buy a courser or a rounsey to get around quickly.

Mind you, on multiplayer servers we'll have starting gold at ZERO! Extreme.

Well ACC1 says he may upload the mod onto a spare GON server if the mod has reached a tolerable level of playability. So I'll be asking him later this evening if he will have a go!

Well, as for items, the current plan for the mod is to simply use standard items just to keep it simple/easy/small download size.

As for code, most grand ideas such as spawnable horses/armour are dead in the water.... but....

There was 1 idea which came very close to working:

Tradeable currency:

1. You purchase a stack of coins for 1,000 denari. The stack contains 10 coins.
2. Every time you 'throw' a coin, it disappears and you receive 100 denari. So if you throw all 10 coins they all disappear and you are redeemed the full purchase value.
This allowed players to give gold to others: buy purchasing a stack of coins, dropping it (not throwing it) on the ground, then the next player picks it up, throws the coins, recieves the denari!

It worked fine in a lan with no one else joined:
98rf9c.jpg

But in multiplayer every second or third throw wouldn't give you the denari. So you'd pay 5000 and only get 3500 or 4000 back at most.

I made thread about it and Vornne was extremely helpful, but I kind of just gave up in order to focus on getting the basic parts of my mod finished. :sad:

Lol!

Yeah you can get into the water, I haven't placed movement barriers around the boats, just on the riverbanks. I'll try to stop access into the water completely in future releases.

Couldn't you have say, a menu which allows you to select the amount and the player to transfer to? Maybe have the menu open when you activate a chest. I'm not familiar with MP modding though so I'm probably sounding dumb.

I got into the water from the top of the bank.

Laszlo I'm happy to setup a dedicated server for this mod for you to admin, just say the word. If you need any assistance with scening etc I've got a little experience in that now too :smile:.

Havoc said:
Couldn't you have say, a menu which allows you to select the amount and the player to transfer to? Maybe have the menu open when you activate a chest. I'm not familiar with MP modding though so I'm probably sounding dumb.

I got into the water from the top of the bank.

I wish! :grin: I mean that would be beautiful but I wouldn't even know where to start if it were possible.

That would be a good idea.

Also, when I picked up a jousting lance I noticed it said, "Raise Ladder". I had a look and you can change that to what ever you want in module_strings.

Congratulations Laszlo! Good to see the mod gone gold. :smile:

Laszlo said:
Havoc said:
I wish! :grin: I mean that would be beautiful but I wouldn't even know where to start if it were possible.

Yeah, that's entirely possible. The issue is that you need to set up communication between client, to server then back to all clients to get things like that to work, which is some kind of godawful coding black magic that I personally can't get my head around. Same reason spawning a horse kills the game, the client creates the horse, and can interact with and mount it, but the server and other clients haven't received the spawn horse command.

For someone who's actually familiar with it though it wouldn't be hard at all, infact there's a tutorial by Yoshi in the forge that covers it, but it's a bit beyond beginner level.

Back
Top Bottom