-- Official Unofficial 'Ask Questions About Warband Singleplayer Here' Thread --

Users who are viewing this thread

RobustTurd

Sergeant at Arms
Since there are so many threads with only one small question and an equally short answer, I decided to found a good old AQH thread where people can post their small questions and get short answers from ppl who know better (I'm not one of them btw). May I start?

1. I was less than level 10 and participated in the first campaign of the Sarranid Sultanate trying to capture Halmar. I participated in the battle and as a result was rewarded with the ownership of the City and the adjacent village with its entire garrison included in the reward! It included 12 Mameluks and 20 Master Archers. Is this normal behavior from an AI faction leader with negative relations to me?

2. Is the newest patch save-game compatible?

1) It depends on King and his lords combined, so I think what happened was 90% of them supported you = king gives it to you to avoid mass rebellion (At lest I think that what happened, it could be a bug).

2) All patches are save compatible.

Well, I'll post one as well. Can someone please give me bandit-hunting tips? As in, I'd like to know which bandits tend to inhabit which areas, their relative difficulties, and loot possibilities; additionally, I've noticed that past a certain party size (25-30 or so?) I just stop seeing bandits anywhere, but, especially with a party <10 or 20, they seem to be in swarms. This has nothing to do with spotting range, etc., I'm just wondering what factors affect bandit spawning.

As far as I can tell, in order of lewt-fatness:

High-level deserters (various locations, equipment)
Sea Raiders (Northern coast/Nord territory): Hard difficulty, gives heavy armor, quality weapons
Steppe Bandits (Steppes/Khergit territory): Medium-hard difficulty (only in early game, as they're all mounted and very fast on the worldmap), gives poor armor and weapons, horses if script is modified.
Taiga Bandits (Snowy land/Vaegir territory): Medium-hard difficulty, gives decent armor and weapons
Desert Bandits (Desert/Sarranid territory): Medium difficulty, gives below average armor but above average weapons, horses if script is modified
Mountain Bandits/Forest Bandiots (Near mountains/Near Forrests--Rhodok/Swadian territory): Medium difficulty, give about average weapons and armor. As far as I can tell these are about interchangeable?
Looters (Everywhere): Very easy difficulty, give very poor equipment. Perhaps the only enemies Recruits can beat one-on-one.

Any thoughts?

I see it about the same as you...

Sea raiders - Nords
Tundra bandits - Vegir
Mountain Bandits - Rhoduks
Forest Bandits - Swadia
Steppe Bandits -Khergits
Desert bandits - Sarrinids

They inhabit the areas close to their "hideout"

Easiest to hardest:

Forest Bandits
Mountain Bandits
Tundra Bandits
Steppe Bandits
Desert Bandits
Sea Raiders

Mountain bandits give decent loot and aren't too tough. 

Sea Raiders give the best loot. It's worth taking them on if you are up to it.

The longer you stay away from a hideout the more and bigger the groups will spawn.

Go to taverns and ask about work.  The will tell you what places are concerned about hideouts and it will help you find them.

Deserters give the worst loot for how tough they will be.  They are the most likely to have 1 good item, but it's not as profitable as fighting bandits.   

I usually don't go for taiga bandits since I always get pelted to near death by there jarids.

I would go for Looters in the beginning, Then mountain bandits, Then searaiders.
And Forest bandits when your training cav.

I dislike steppe bandits and they are to timeconsuming for training. But you can easily kill Desert bandits with a couple of infantry because they really suck and give some good loot. Beware of their lances/spears thou.

I've also noticed hideouts spawn in roughly the same spot, so try and remember where each spawns at. For example, I always find the forest bandits hideout in the forest SE of Ryibelet

I have a question of my own.

I'm on day 850+ a swadian lord who owns 2 cities, 3 castle's and a whole bunch of villages.
I got a party size of 163, more then 2.5k renown, got a relationship of 100+ with a lot of lords.
destroyed the Khergits, Veagirs and Nords. I filled my towns and castles with more then 200+ soldiers with at least 100+ Swadian sharpshooters in each of them. Yet 1 thing never works for me.

How do I gather a bunch of high tier troops fast, Which troop of the following faction: Nords, Swadian, Veagir, Khergits. is easy to train and strong? I don't care about prices because I've traded continuously and have a small fortune of 300k.

Which troop of the following faction:
Nords
Swadians
Khergits
Veagirs
Is easy to train and useable for multiple kinds of terrain?

If money is no object (and let's face it, $300k is no "small" fortune) then you may as well hire the pricy mercenaries you can find in taverns. Sure, they're expensive, but Hired Blades, Knights (do they still have those?), Mercenary Cavalry, and other top-tier 'neutral' units are your quickest access to the best troops. Otherwise, most faction takes five upgrades to get to the top-tiered unit. Rhodoks take four to get Sergeants, and Khergits take four to get Lancers, although Horse Archers (five) are probably better in most respects.

As for varied terrain, you should stay away from the infantry-only factions (who are vulnerable on open ground) and cavalry-only factions (who have difficulty maneuvering in hills and woods). The three "normal" factions--Swadians, Sarranids, Vaegir--field the most balanced troop choices with the ability to cope with a variety of terrain. That said, if you really expect to be doing a lot of mountain or woods fighting, you may want to consider going with the Nords or Rhodocks for their infantry.

I would like to point out that a wall of Nordic Huscarls, told to stand ground 2 or 3 times, doesn't surrender TOO much on open ground.  Sure, your army is slower than a cavalry only one..... and sure, if you tell em to spread and charge they'll get floored.  But watching a cavalry faction stupidly charge head into your phalanx, come to a dead stop and get ripped to pieces is priceless.

I imagine that would work as well with Rhodoks, too.

No one takes longer than a week to train if you are high level and so are your companions and everyone has a high "trainer" ability...

Merc costs more and is weaker.  I don't recommend you do that....

No matter what your army consists of you'll get a huge bonus as long as you lead them into battle.... 

I've killed 50 Huscarls with 25 knights before  (normal damage to me and my troops.... it's just how the game is coded).

If you want to get slaughtered, let them attack without you...

Yes, even if you don't actively fight in the battle, it is important to be there for it. "Ordering your troops to attack without you" leaves it up to an autoresolve mechanic that doesn't like you, and results in much less experience for your soldiers.

Re: Trainer skill--I'm almost positive that it works in the way any other party skill does--only the companion with the highest score actually affects anything, although this can be raised by other companions with high scores. Can someone shed light on how that works?

BHunterSEAL said:
Yes, even if you don't actively fight in the battle, it is important to be there for it. "Ordering your troops to attack without you" leaves it up to an autoresolve mechanic that doesn't like you, and results in much less experience for your soldiers.

Re: Trainer skill--I'm almost positive that it works in the way any other party skill does--only the companion with the highest score actually affects anything, although this can be raised by other companions with high scores. Can someone shed light on how that works?

Trainer is applied individually. Every member of your party that has trainer gives experience to all lower level troops. So if you have 5 level 20 companions with points in trainer, anyone lower than level 20 will receive experience from all 5 companions.

How do I know whether a weapon does piercing, blunt, or slicing damage? I mean f.ex. with Morningstar it says "swing 38". Is that piercing or slicing damage?

the weapon will have a small letter after the damage stat. eg: 24p  is twenty four piercing damage.  note that some weapons do a different type of damage if you slash or thrust with it.

How effective it is vs. armour mostly.
Piercing and blut are better vs. armour than cutting, but cutting has higher base dmg numbers. And of course, there's the addition that blunt dmg only knocks your foe unconscious instead of killing him.

i got a question I'm looking for a good weapon with divers specifications:
i want its to be normal -fast swing speed
i don't care for stab
i want to be easily able to kill a armored enemy
i don't want to knock them unconscious
i really prefer a 1 hander because i want to carry a shield

any tips?

The exceeding arrow said:
i got a question I'm looking for a good weapon with divers specifications:
i want its to be normal -fast swing speed
i don't care for stab
i want to be easily able to kill a armored enemy